All things Achievements, Trophies, Meta

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ReprobateGamer

Re: All things Achievements, Trophies, Meta

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Interesting thread.

I always think of myself as someone who has some interest in achievement hunting but isn't a true hunter - then Xbox send through my year in review and my 46K GS, which I view as reasonable, appears to put me in the top 1% ... a timely reminder on differing points of view, I guess, as I would have expected to be in a lower percentile.

Thanks for the list Flabyo - think I pretty much agree with everything there.

I'll agree with Kintaris that TrueAchievements has more of a 'buy-in' than TrueTrophies. I welcome that I can find guides there and the community events are a nice feature (though I honestly duck out from joining most of them as I know time restraints will prevent me properly taking part.) One thing I have started using TA for is to aim a little at my pile of shame - it's normally a good indicator that I've been abandoning a game if it has a low completion percentage so if I'm feeling uncertain what to play, I'll look towards a low % game and work on that.

I have a question for thread readers - what is your opinions on achievements that have a score that doesn't end in a 5 or 0? Cynical attempt to play on our lizard brains, or playful nod towards our expectations on a scoring system ...
Suits

Post by Suits »

ReprobateGamer wrote: December 20th, 2018, 4:00 pm I have a question for thread readers - what is your opinions on achievements that have a score that doesn't end in a 5 or 0? Cynical attempt to play on our lizard brains, or playful nod towards our expectations on a scoring system ...
Lizard brain here, back when I cared, I played Football Manger 2008 or something that gave me a 2 for something and I had to then do something daft in another game for 3 to round it back up to a 5 or 0.

Drove me mad it did.

I don’t miss those days at all. As fun as it was for a few years.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

They don’t bother me at all.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I think my score ended in a 1 or a 4 or something for years.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I am the kind of person who has to have TV/car stereo volume on an even number, and will eat coloured sweets so that I end up with one of each colour left for my last go, so I think it would really irritate me if I played on Xbox.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

That's the thing, I too am like that with volume settings and so on (for the most part), but for some reason it doesn't bother me with gamerscore.... perhaps it will if I think about it too much though!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I have the volume at an even number always.

Never ever been bothered by trophies or gamerscore couldn't tell you either.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I prefer to think of the trophy / achievement system as a gaming history of sorts rather than something to be proud of, with a few exceptions. It's nice to have a list of all the games that I've played on a particular platform, if that makes sense.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

This is quite interesting. A combination of those recent personalised 'My PS4 Life' videos, and existing trophy information seems to give accurate sales/player figures for quite a few games (up to mid-November at least).

Bloodborne 11.3m
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture 1.7m
Firewatch 0.3m :(
Shadow Tactics 57K :( :(
RE7 5.96m

Sadly it seems only PS4 games are included (not PS3), and games posted depends on people hunting down individual videos, so that list isn't complete.

Also I have just noticed some dubious-looking ones; Yakuza 6, 182K worldwide? Hard to believe that one.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

If anyone wants to look at their achievements or trophies success in 2018 in comparison to the diehards (and probably get thoroughly depressed like me), we've just set up our 2018 leaderboards:

TrueAchievements 2018 Leaderboards
TrueTrophies 2018 Leaderboards
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’ve signed up. I had a relatively good trophy count until the last year when I decided to go seriously off piste with my games played/completed etc. Nice to see where I stand though out of interest.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

kintaris wrote: January 4th, 2019, 4:44 pm If anyone wants to look at their achievements or trophies success in 2018 in comparison to the diehards (and probably get thoroughly depressed like me), we've just set up our 2018 leaderboards:

TrueAchievements 2018 Leaderboards
TrueTrophies 2018 Leaderboards
i always find this to be interesting reading - though the amount of Xbox vs Playstation I play means that I can't do any comparisons across the systems.

One of the broadstrokes from the last year is that I'm generally within the top 25% in terms of scores but in the bottom half of completions ... that gives me a target for my pile of shame this year!
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Got my 8th Platinum, Twin Breaker. Really enjoyed playing it on Vita and will likely make my top 5 games of the year. Have already downloaded Lillymo Games other 2 games Habroxia and Perils of Baking as I was sufficiently impressed with Twin Breaker to trust they will be good.