Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Angry_Kurt

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

Post by Angry_Kurt »

The reviews of the PC version seemed to be generally very positive though and I have seen people on Twitter singing the games praises, particularly with the side stories.
See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

Marlew wrote: December 19th, 2020, 10:26 amThe reality is that even discounting the bugs, you're left with well-worn, derivative gameplay within a very shallow open world. There's more interactivity in Skyrim.

You're quite right. And that, more than anything else, is the real disappointment. This entire fiasco could have been avoided with more time, greater transparency and better management. But the design choices are baked in. I haven't played the game yet but my trusted sources tell me it is indeed derivative, old fashioned and stale.

I fully admit to having boarded the hype train but I still had concerns. I was shot down on Reddit for voicing same. In fact my thread about the poor voice acting in comparison to The Witcher 3 was removed by a moderator and my appeal was completely ignored. Some people really went all in on this game.

I'll buy it eventually and as a fan of the genre I can already tell there's enough there to keep me playing. And perhaps my reduced expectations will be rewarded. But whatever happens there's no escaping the fact that CDPR have spectacularly shit the bed.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

The first Deus Ex game is still pretty good. And it will be much cheaper.

Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Can confirm on both counts.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

All the deus Ex games are good. Even the second one that everyone hated when it’s only crime was being not quite as good as the first.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

I have the second one and have been anxious to make time for it since I saw Austin Wintory on twitter reminiscing about its coffee shop war side quest, which is an immensely intriguing series of words to me.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Flabyo wrote: December 21st, 2020, 8:53 am All the deus Ex games are good. Even the second one that everyone hated when it’s only crime was being not quite as good as the first.
The load times killed it for me.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I've put about 23-25 hours into this game and i've put it on ice. The bugs are ever increasing and with the save file corruption thing, I am finding it hard to enjoy my time with it more and more.

Little things like Regina phoned me up but never hung up and just stayed prominent on screen, doing the foldy arms soldier woman thing. Quite funny until you realise it completely renders you useless. Can't change weapons, use fast travel points etc

It's been a moderately fun game so far, a solid 7, but when the story of people dying in a war torn future is undermined by t-poses and falling through the floor I start to lose interest.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Popping in to share my thoughts.

I'd say Cyberpunk was my most disappointing game of 2020, but FF7R came out. Difference is though, FF7R was actually good - and my expectations were simply higher than it achieved. I had no lofty expectations of Cyberpunk, and I still managed to come out disappointed.

While I played on PS4 Pro, shipping delays meant I got my copy roughly 5 days after launch, so there had been some patches by that point. And while there were bugs, I certainly wouldn't say they were any worse than any other open world games of comparable scope.

My problem with Cyberpunk wasn't the bugs, but rather the game itself. I found the story to be painfully slow, and as a result, major story beats felt limp. The presentation isn't great either - it feels like it's missing music something, that should back and punctuate scenes, but all you get is this miserable droning of "future noise".

My biggest gripe is the world itself. For me to invest in an RPG, I have to believe the world. Plot holes and story conveniences, I can live with those. But when your world indulges in misery and debauchery to such a point that it's like, "No way would this world ever exist," it's a total deal-breaker. Cyberpunk exists in a filthy, overcrowded, miserable world where everyone has a gun, every other storefront is a sex shop of some description, and nearly everyone is downtrodden and hopeless. I'm not saying these things in and of themselves aren't realistic - sex is human nature, urban poverty and depression are realities, and underworld violence is in the news all the time. But in a narrative, it's important top juxtapose those elements against some modicum of normalcy; a point of reference. Perhaps it's a fault of the tabletop source material - I can't say for certain. But that whole fictional universe was just so grimy and mean-spirited that is felt less like a living, breathing world, and more like a nihilistic 14 year old's fantasy world.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I've found it interesting that post release there has been so little comment on the game beyond the bugs. I've seen a few people on Twitter say they really enjoyed but I haven't seen anyone say it beats The Witcher 3 or would be a GOTY contender which given the long development and hype around the game does surprise me.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Aside from the lighting, it's a very unimpressive and unimaginative game. The pre-release hype and self-mythologising look frankly embarrassing at this point, and that has nothing to do with the bugs. Every aspect of the game besides the ray tracing has been done to death better elsewhere.

The Witcher 3 worked as a whole, and I thought it was fantastic in the end, but you did have to forgive its many many flaws and foibles. It was brilliant in spite of its often obstructive and irritating design decisions, perhaps because the source material was so rich. Replace the the 10/10 writing, characters and voice work with your usual video game standard, and it would be a total also-ran.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I've hit a stride with this game in which I can play it despite having zero energy for any games. I assume that's what people get out of Assassins Creed in that "map mopping" is a mindless thing to do and I've found that to be the case with Cyberpunk
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Yeah it seems once the early hype and then the backlash died down the overall impression of it seems to be ‘meh’.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

dezm0nd wrote: January 9th, 2021, 12:20 pm I've hit a stride with this game in which I can play it despite having zero energy for any games. I assume that's what people get out of Assassins Creed in that "map mopping" is a mindless thing to do and I've found that to be the case with Cyberpunk
Kind of reminds me of how I play Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout etc
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Definitely this
MauricioMM

Post by MauricioMM »

https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/41435 ... of-changes

Better late than never (re: both this patch and me posting about it :lol: ). I’m truly glad this patch put the game in a more playable shape than the previous ones (this looks now more like it should have on the release week) but I still feel like playing it only until an ultimate—or whatever they end up calling the base-game-plus-patches-expansions-and-DLCs—edition sees the light of day.

I’ve been avoiding most news and discussions about the game in order to not run into spoilers but I did allow myself to try the new built-in benchmark tool introduced in this patch. According to its results, I managed to stay on average around the 60fps mark with all setting maxed up and DLSS Quality enabled. I got reeeaaally lucky with my RTX 3080, especially considering that I grabbed it right when the price hike was starting :shock:
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

I held off playing until the next-gen patches arrived and it seems to have been a good decision; I’ve encountered the odd bug but otherwise I’ve found it to be a solid, well-crafted open world game. I’m a dozen or so hours in on PS5 and, given that I’m sticking to the main and side quests, I’ve been enjoying it; the writing continues to be better than the video game average, and there’s an empathy for the characters that has me invested in how the story plays out.

Yes, it’s missing that extra 5% of crazy detail that makes Rockstar’s worlds stand out, but I still keep running into odd bits of weirdness that give it a unique feel. Bizarrely I just completed a side quest that paid homage to the US Office, showing how broad their frames of reference are.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Bumping this thread to see if anyone's been playing the new update or the Phantom Liberty expansion?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've not got the DLC but I have reinstalled the game and played a bit since the update. To be honest I've not had much time with it so haven't noticed a lot of the new features yet other than the redesigned skill tree. I have about 40 or so hours in the main game I think, but most of that was pre-update. Looking forward to properly getting back in to it though I've 100% Red Dead Redemption 2 (second playthrough and wanted to properly complete it - not too much left to do).

Re: Cyberpunk, I can't say I've noticed a huge difference graphically, but I am playing on Series S so there's probably not a massive difference. Are you playing it at the moment?
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Yeah, finished it for the second time last night only this time including the Phantom Liberty expansion. The latest monthly should be out tomorrow and I talk about it on that but suffice to say I thoroughly enjoyed and the expansion was an amazing addition to the world of Cyberpunk.