Hollow Knight

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
chase210

Hollow Knight

Post by chase210 »

I wanted a topic for us to talk about Hollow Knight! Because its just so fantastic, I can't gush about this game more. Not only the best metroidvania I ever played, its the best indie game I think I've ever enjoyed, its an extremely reasonable price (£11!) and its on switch so you can play it on the toilet. Can't recommend more highly. Let's discuss Hollow Knight.
PapaBlingo

Re: Hollow Knight

Post by PapaBlingo »

I generally dont get on with difficult games like Dark Souls, but for some reason Hollow Knight is really clicking with me. I think that the 2D perspective makes the challenge more managable, as the boss patterns are easier to pickout and learn. Plus, the perspective and music just clinch it. Such a good game.
NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic »

I'm almost finished with my Switch playthrough which is turning out to be more enjoyable than my Steam run was. I love playing in bed or on the porch if it's nice outside. All the FREE updates and dlc since I last played can really be felt. I still don't like the first 2 levels (gameplay wise) since I really feel the movement is crippled without the dash and wall bounce abilities but they come pretty quick so it's a very minor flaw.

This game launched permanently on sale for 15 dollars and I personally don't think at full price there is a better (price per quality)deal. At it's insanely low sale cost I purchased Hollow Knight for all of my friends (not many lol I'm not rich)who didn't already have the game. Will they play it? I can't say but Team Cherry deserves the money and then some. They certainly earned a fan in me.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Just wanted to say, this game landed on my to-play list almost single-handedly due to the praise it has received from this community. Looking forward to it.
NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic »

I saw it from videogamedunkey sometime last year and he heaped a ton of praise on it. I think I bought it as soon as the video ended. I music and hand drawn art style really appealed to me.
James

Post by James »

I've been waiting for the Switch version since the PC release last year. Then, last week, I set myself the silly target of getting my gaming backlog down under 100 before buying anything new (shut up, the DMC Street Fighter V costumes absolutely do not count).

Well, my backlog now stands at 95 after a gaming session last night, so I'm downloading Hollow Knight now. Can't wait to get stuck in. :mrgreen:
NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic »

Just curious if anyone here has attempted a Steel Soul mode run yet? I don't think I can personally. I can think of a few bosses who would end that run promptly.
James

Post by James »

I'll be sticking to a Standard Soul mode run first time through, I think. ;-)
NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic »

Hahaha yeah you probably should but it doesn't unlock until you beat the game anyway. I'm not sure premadeath modes are ever fun lol.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I wouldn't fancy a permadeath run, I get frustrated enough when I die before recovering any geo I lost.
NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic »

Likewise. That just sounds frustrating.
James

Post by James »

Well, I can't speak to how I'll feel after 20 hours or so, but right now I'd say there's not a snowball's chance in Hell that I'd play a permadeath mode of this game. That and some of the Quests (speedrunning, for example) seem like they'd be great fun, but would also require me to know this game like the back of my hand. I just don't see myself getting to that point, given how long it's taking me to build up a mental map of the tiny little bit of the world I've discovered so far.

It's weird, because I absolutely got to the point where I could try those types of runs with Dark Souls. It just seems so far away from where I'm at now with HK though.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I bought it on Switch and would love to dive in, but I've got so many other games to play.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Watcher Knight is kicking my bum right now.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

The Watcher Knights are the hardest fight in the game. Once you've defeated them, you've broken the back of the game.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I wandered from the watcher knights because it was a little frustrating, defeated Hornet for a second time and got the shade cloak! Now I'm exploring the bit with the giant wasp things.
NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic »

Watcher Knights was my worst boss as well. I'm glad a lot of people here agree because my buddy said he did it first try. I was thinking I just suck lol of course my first run I didn't know about the chandelier trick to make the fight a tad easier. It's not a big help but it would've led to victory the few times I'd died on the last knight. I don't know if the fight is "unfair" but I know I suck at it hahaha
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Im gonna be that guy and say I actually found Watcher Knights pretty easy, the dream bosses on the other hand...
NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic »

The Dream Warriors or the Dream rematches against False Knight, Broken Vessel, etc?
Because the Dream rematches are pretty hardcore but the Dream Warrior bosses were all pretty easy to me. They're cool but they all just have a gimmick. Usually telepathically controlling their weapon. They're all neat but very simplistic.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

The rematches I dont even know how many times I died to False Knight there