Hollow Knight

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Re: Hollow Knight

Post by James »

Thanks! I managed to persevere and got through it earlier today. No videos needed, but I did switch to the Hiveblood charm which felt like cheating, but also very necessary (for me).

Since then, I exchanged the Kingsoul, and got most of the way through the Grimm Troupe questline. Not much left to do now; just the last Grimm fight, the last Colosseum Trial, and the last area, I think. Piece of cake! :shock:
NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic »

Nice! As for Hiveblood, they put it in the game so I don't think it's cheating. If I'd had it at the time I would've used it haha. I think I used the Joni's blessing and the one that gives you 3 extra blue health and the upgraded version of the fragile health charm to just tank my way through the final section. The part where you had to time falls through the 3 rows of closing spears almost made me cry. Not too bad after that point.
NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic »

I must have gotten really lucky on my initial PC run of Hollow Knight because I'm really struggling with the Radiance boss battle on Switch. I was going for completion which I think even without beating the Radiance I have 105% completion from doing the dlc bosses. I think I beat the Radiance in less than 10 attempts on PC. I'm on attempt like 30 something on Switch. It doesn't help that when Hornet restrains the Hollow Knight so you can use the Dream nail it sounds like she's shouting "Git Gud!"

I'm trying!
Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor »

Amazing game. one of the best games I've played and certainly the best value game I've played. I've never played a true "metroidvania" game before and this was a real eye-opener for me.
It reminded me a lot of Dark Souls in terms of the atmosphere, the challenge, the lore component and the soul/geo recovery mechanic. One of the end-game bosses also felt a lot like Ser Artorias.
It's not many games that make me feel like taking on bonus bosses,but I had to with this game. The White Palace is a big jump in difficulty from anything else in the game and the true final boss is similarly more difficult than anything else. I came close to giving up on both of them, but with enough practice finally beat it this morning. Great feeling. Now I just need to watch some lore videos to try and work out what on earth was going on!
Can't believe this only cost £11. Amazing.
Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor »

Ha ha! Hornet's "git gud" must be intentional, shurely???
NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic »

Nupraptor wrote: July 24th, 2018, 4:36 pm Ha ha! Hornet's "git gud" must be intentional, shurely???
I has to be lol was really staring to get to me after awhile.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I think I've played about five hours now. I think I may have gone wrong because I've ended up in the City Of Tears before beating the boss in Fungal Wastes (I didn't even find the boss!) and now the door has locked behind me and I can't go back!!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Alex79uk wrote: October 31st, 2018, 11:52 am I think I've played about five hours now. I think I may have gone wrong because I've ended up in the City Of Tears before beating the boss in Fungal Wastes (I didn't even find the boss!) and now the door has locked behind me and I can't go back!!
Don't worry. According to this thread (careful about spoilers), you'll be able to go back later on. I would suggest focusing on the City of Tears for the moment.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Wonderfully tight metroidvania this, I just got really tired of the asthetic very quickly and never went back to it.

Shame.
Toon Scottoon

Post by Toon Scottoon »

I can't believe how good the sound combined with the rumble on Switch is for this. Hits feel incredible.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah even on PS4 you get really satisfying low level rumblings for most stuff you do. I'm around 20 hours now, and just about to face the...

Spoiler: show
Watcher Knights...? The City Of Tears boss(es).

There are six or so of them and I've not even managed to get one down yet! Only had two attempts mind.
**not a major spoiler.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Finally beat those bastards!
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Alex79uk wrote: November 8th, 2018, 5:55 pm Finally beat those bastards!
That was the point where I deleted the game the first time! I think it was another 15 or so hours before I returned to them (after the second deletion but that’s another story). I hated those things!!! You’re in good shape now though.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Done it! The last boss was a cake walk compared to some of the earlier ones, took one attempt to learn his moves and easily beat him on the second (below). What an absolutely fantastic little game. And what value, 35 hours for just over a tenner! Loved this, it was brilliant.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Alex79uk wrote: November 15th, 2018, 9:48 am Done it! The last boss was a cake walk compared to some of the earlier ones, took one attempt to learn his moves and easily beat him on the second (below). What an absolutely fantastic little game. And what value, 35 hours for just over a tenner! Loved this, it was brilliant.
Nice one Alex! I was amazed how easy everything after that horrible boss fight was. I finished on 60 hours for £7.99, but I think we both did alright out of it! My eventual love for it far outweighed the pure hatred I experienced at times. Brilliant game.
Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor »

I would definitely recommend playing through the White Palace and facing off against the true final boss. It's undeniably tough, but it's worth it.
James

Post by James »

Overall I agree, Nupraptor, but there were certainly moments where I was tempted to find out whether my Switch could fly. ;-)

Hollow Knight asks a lot of the player, and whilst I'm glad I saw each ending and reached 107%, I certainly wasn't sure I had it in me to get there. I wonder what percentage of players managed to reach any of the endings, let alone the extra completion criteria? I guess that's something the developer has to consider when making a demanding game.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Nupraptor wrote: November 17th, 2018, 7:17 am I would definitely recommend playing through the White Palace and facing off against the true final boss. It's undeniably tough, but it's worth it.
How do I get there? Do I need to have already beaten the Hollow Knight boss? If so, not sure how to do it, because reloading the save just drops you to the bench before the fight. I've not done the DLC either so definitely will be going back at some point before my fingers forget all the movement skills!
Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor »

Ooh, it's complicated. I played through the game clean, but I used a guide for the extra bits after I beat the Hollow Knight. The basic thing is that you need to level up your dream needle by fighting the optional ghost bosses including the super tough rematches against some of the main bosses. Eventually it gets powerful enough that you can enter the dream of the random white knight that is sitting on his own. You don't have to beat every optional boss to do it, but quite a few of them. That gets you into the White Palace level. I don't often play hard-core platform games and this level is significantly more difficult than anything else in the game in terms of platforming challenge. It was an amazing sense of achievement though.
Finish that and you get an item that will let you challenge the True Final Boss which is amazingly epic...and very hard.

James is right that it is frustratingly hard, but I think you should give it a shot even if you decide that life is too short to work your way through it. Good luck!
Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor »

James - I found the White Palace and the true final boss very difficult and I died a LOT of times, but I really loved this game and I wanted to get all the way to the finish. I know that Dark Souls comparisons are overused, but this is the game that has given me closest to the same feeling of challenge and satisfaction as my first Dark Souls playthrough. Hollow Knight is for sure my game of the year.