Ikaruga

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: Ikaruga

Post by Stanshall »

Good man, Alex. It's a great game and very different to most shmups.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I play it on Switch now and again. Which is probably why I’m still rubbish at it. Definitely worth a couple of quid!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Cool, will be good to see some names on the leaderboards. Nothing worse than getting in to a game like that and nobody on your friends list has played!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Oh for fucks sake...

I’m gonna get it. I have £6 or so credit somehow so it will cost me less than a pint. Plus it’s another game for the flip grip which should land in a bit.

I did like the demo, I think it’s probably not representative of the game as a whole but fuck it. You only live once!

Alex - I’ll see you on the leaderboards, someone needs to prop them up and it might as well be me :)
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

IKARUGA RENAISSANCE

Here's my best stage one (any excuse):

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Woohoo, it's on!

:lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

clippa wrote: February 1st, 2020, 6:27 pm It's infamously polarising in the shmups community. Quite the marmite game, you either love it or you hate it and I made light of that recently and it all kicked off.
You're like me, I've bought it three times and it's never clicked. Good luck, man, hope it works out this time!
I do really like playing it, I just can't get anywhere with it! I think it's the toughest shmup I've played.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

So now I can beat stage one without losing a life, but my score is like 180'000. No idea how people are getting in the millions!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It’s all about the chain.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

It really is.

Once you pay attention to that your scores massively go up - it’s hard though when your brain is already battered from the polarity mechanics.

I’ve just managed to beat stage 1 with no death, easy difficulty, and a score of 1,206,960 which hilariously puts me above our holy lord stanshall (praise be) in my friends leaderboard :D for this particular stage and difficulty. Obviously he doesn’t spend much time in the depths of easy mode... :lol:

This reminds me of the time I was able to say I did better than Mark Cavendish on a cycle route, simply because I finished the course and he dropped out.

Stage 2 is fucking bananas, bullets spraying all over the place like a choreographed NYE fireworks display. Made it to the boss before I got my game over, I’m playing the default settings with no continues allowed.

It’s probably time now to allow continues to get practice in, already learning on stage 2 that it’s prudent to absorb bullets before switching so the same ones don’t get you on their way back round etc.

It’s quite different to other shmups I’ve played and feels fresh as I have no real history with it on original systems or arcade, I’m glad I picked it up.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hey wonder why I'm not showing up on that board?

EDIT: Oh I think I've been playing normal. I'm gonna try to 1cc easy I think actually now before moving on to normal or score chasing.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Alex79uk wrote: February 4th, 2020, 11:26 am Hey wonder why I'm not showing up on that board?

EDIT: Oh I think I've been playing normal. I'm gonna try to 1cc easy I think actually now before moving on to normal or score chasing.
Oh yeah I wouldn't go near Normal yet. Fair play to you though if you've done Stage 1 losing no lives there!

It seems pretty well done with the leaderboards and filtering options, also I like that it saves your replays and lets you download others. Top job on the port.

I watched Stan's ludicrous Stage 1 S Rank performance on there last night. You get some good tips, including chaining. You can see him whooshing about and avoiding hitting certain enemies to target others to keep the chain building. Really impressive stuff.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I tried to copy it with disastrous results :lol:
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Yeah. It's weird, when you watch certain replays - another good example is Stan's parade in Psyvariar Delta Stage 1 (LEVEL UP) - they look SO much easier than they are to actually replicate yourself. It looks achievable to get S-rank, when it really, really isn't :lol: Whereas games like Futari which are quite different really rip my brain apart trying to follow the skill required.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Managed to get ~800k on stage one, I think I can definitely break a million. It's my chains, my max is only 20 something. Need to stop panicking and shooting everything. Shooting less of the right things seems to score way more than shooting all of the wrong things.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Alex79uk wrote: February 8th, 2020, 10:19 am Managed to get ~800k on stage one, I think I can definitely break a million. It's my chains, my max is only 20 something. Need to stop panicking and shooting everything. Shooting less of the right things seems to score way more than shooting all of the wrong things.
You're definitely on the right track. A lot of games are happy with you holding down fire for the duration but Ikaruga requires you to stop shooting a lot more. I actually tried Easy yesterday, can't remember when I played it before, and it's much harder to chain. You really want to be absorbing bullets to build your meter and use your missiles at certain points. It's really difficult to do certain patterns without missiles, in fact, so it's harder in a particular way. I'd recommend Normal if you want to chain but I'm enjoying hearing how you're getting on with it. Makes me want to go back.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Alex79uk wrote: February 8th, 2020, 10:19 am Shooting less of the right things seems to score way more than shooting all of the wrong things.
Yep, that's Ikaruga in so many words.

Easy is easier for survival, but Normal is definitely easier for scoring. Might as well be two completely different games, really.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I guess that's the case with a lot of shmups. Play them for the 1cc or play them for the score. I'm going to concentrate on clearing the game I think before bothering with any more score chasing. I can clear stage one without any trouble whatsoever, but stage two wipes out my entire stock of lives before I even pass the moving blocks section.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I’m finding myself restarting if I don’t get the maximum possible chain for the intro bit of stage 1 (22) now. Definitely playing this as a score chase game with less concern about the rest of the stages right now. Can’t get near my Easy PB but it’s fun trying!