Virtual Reality

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: Virtual Reality

Post by Chopper »

I dunno, even in VR, I doubt controlling a fixed camera in the corner of the room would be compelling :D

Slippery slope alert! Don't be tempted Ksub, the games so far are everything you dislike in modern gaming, and then some.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: November 29th, 2018, 8:36 pm Don't be tempted Ksub, the games so far are everything you dislike in modern gaming, and then some.
Well yeah, which is exactly why I haven't had much interest in VR so far! :P

I'm not any kind of early adopter because I'm simply not interested in technology for technology's sake. I am however interested in seeing what creative talents manage to achieve with the help of technological advancements. Like you said, most VR games on the market today don't seem like my kind of thing whatsoever, but the tech itself has potential, and there's a part of me that would like to see how guys like Ueda or Kojima would implement VR into a full-fledged title with a proper development budget to back them up.

Of the current lineup, Tetris Effect looks like the most interesting by far, and I do attribute that to Mizuguchi directorial vision.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Actually, although it’s Miz’s company and as producer his work on Lumines and Child of Eden is obviously especially relevant, Tetris Effect’s director is Takashi Ishihara, whos previous credits include Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (and CoE).
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Tetris Effect is the one for me, the killer app as they used to say. It's pretty amazing on the telly with headphones, like, 'made me well up' amazing, but in VR it is so absorbing and affecting, I defy anyone to be unmoved.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Oh really, Mizuguchi isn't the director? I could have sworn I saw "by the director of Rez" somewhere in the promotional material. In any case, the influence of his previous work is unmistakable.

If money (and space) weren't a factor, I would probably have been tempted to splurge out on the game + PSVR combo. As it is now, I can't really justify the purchase for one game only. But I have no doubt it's amazing.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Re lack of space: remember you don’t have to face the tv, just the camera, which could be mounted on a different wall or elsewhere. Subject to the length of the camera cable of course.

Not that I’m encouraging you to get it, I wouldn’t be able to live with myself.

I’m also a dissenter on Tetris; great game but the bits vr adds are mostly lost on me.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I find the VR in Tetris not essential and doesn’t necessarily add anything extra game wise - it’s just more of an immersive experiance.

Think IMAX over watching it at home on the sofa.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Yeah, I mean don't get me wrong, I'm just approaching it from the point of view that if KSub bought VR solely on account of the Tetris Effect, there's a possibility he'd be disappointed. He could also be blown away, but I'm leaning towards disappointment :)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

:D What about resident evil 7? I’m sure he’d love that as it’s resident evil right?!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I'm amazed he didn't pick it as his PSVR system-seller :D
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, so far it’s hard to recommend PSVR to too many people.

You really have to try it properly in a comfortable environment to know if there’s value and potential in it for you.

I’m planning to pick up Astro Bot next week and play through that as it’s essebtially a must have for the system.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Simonsloth wrote: November 30th, 2018, 8:46 am it’s resident evil
Well actually, NO it's NOT and now I'm going to EXPLAIN to you why that is.
*pulls stack of notes from desk drawer, stands up, clears throat, channels Edgeworth*

...This RE7 running joke is hilarious. Point well taken as always, gentlemen. :lol:
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

😜Glad you got the joke.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Suits wrote: November 30th, 2018, 9:33 am Yeah, so far it’s hard to recommend PSVR to too many people.

You really have to try it properly in a comfortable environment to know if there’s value and potential in it for you.
Definitely; I got a loan of my brother's for a few weeks before deciding to get it. You also have to temper your expectations a bit for the games - they excel at building atmosphere (horror games) and some types of interactivity, but graphics, locomotion, and restricted gameplay are all minuses. But when all is said and done, I haven't experienced the same excitement (to the extent of laughing, shouting etc) in non-VR games.
Suits wrote: November 30th, 2018, 9:33 am I’m planning to pick up Astro Bot next week and play through that as it’s essebtially a must have for the system.
I have a crick in my neck today from this, from all the neck craning I was doing to check out everything last night.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Chopper wrote: November 30th, 2018, 1:13 pm I have a crick in my neck today from this, from all the neck craning I was doing to check out everything last night.
I’m up for this, I’m ready.

Just want to finish my time with Tetris first, then I’ll pick this up.

I’m currently using my PSVR as a palate cleanser after playing other things.

Normally start with a few hours of F76 then do an hour with Tetris and bed.
James

Post by James »

Picked up a PSVR at the weekend. I was waiting for the catalogue to tip me over the edge, and Tetris Effect and Beat Saber did that. It's definitely impressed thus far, and I haven't tried either of those games, or any of the big hitters, really. Just a bit of Playroom VR, PSVR Worlds, and the Kitchen demo.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Don't overdo it at the start; if you feel yourself getting queasy, set it aside for a bit. Powering through is not a good option, it just seems to be the worst thing you can do.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I hammered Jay’s PSVR a few weekends ago and - happy to say - suffered no lasting sense of motion sickness or displacement/disassociation.
Suits

Post by Suits »

The only thing that’s made me feel at all queasy is the scavenger game on VR Worlds, when you jump from asteroid to asteroid on chapter 2.

Other than that, even Wipeout has been cool.
James

Post by James »

Cheers for the advice, folks! I was definitely wary. My only previous experience of home VR was a Montague's Mount demo at EGX 2013. It was less than optimised (to say the least) and was running on Oculus Dev Kit 1. That was an eye opener, but certainly had me a little unsteady after 5-10 minutes of play.

Thankfully, the only PSVR game that gave me any sort of uneasiness this weekend was the Rescue Mission demo on Playroom VR. Entirely because the camera is tied to the movement of the Astro Bot, but not on a 1:1 basis. Once I got used to my perspective shifting in fits and starts I was fine; seemed like I just needed a moment to acclimatise and compensate.

My better half suffered no issue during the Ocean Descent, and even said she felt the movement as though she too was being lowered into the ocean. Brains are tricksy things!