Remasters — the good, the bad, and the fugly

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Yacobg42

Re: Remasters — the good, the bad, and the fugly

Post by Yacobg42 »

My love of the Shadow of the Colossus remake is well documented (https://caneandrinse.com/shadow-of-the- ... n-and-now/), but I'll also be a positive voice for the 60 fps RE4 PC version. Just from ease of access it's my most played version of the game, and it actually feels very weird to go back to 30.

The mouse controls also definitely make it easier, which could be a pro or a con, but I've enjoyed getting monster scores on the mercenaries with a more agile aiming system.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yacobg42 wrote: September 6th, 2018, 8:23 pm I've enjoyed getting monster scores on the mercenaries with a more agile aiming system.
Would you mind elaborating on this? I've only played the 60fps PS4 version, and besides from having ganados regularly getting stuck on the roof of the shotgun house on Village while running in circles for example, I think the internal clock also makes it impossible to spawn the maximum amount of enemies and compete for highscores, to the best of my knowledge.

Village has 124 potential enemies. My personal best is 122 (196700 points) on PAL NGC, and I haven't gotten anywhere near close to that on PS4. You?
Yacobg42

Post by Yacobg42 »

I'm playing on PC, so I specifically meant with mouse aiming. Not sure about the spawning ratio, but I was regularly breaking 200k in the castle. Internal clock rates could totally be messed up, I just don't have enough experience with the earlier versions to notice.
ToQi

Post by ToQi »

Will remastering games (properly) get harder as time goes by? Or easier as engineers working on emulation get better at their work?

Is this commercially-motivated wave of remastering something that will die down? Or, maybe it will morph into more of a legacy/archival sentiment among gaming companies... Probably not if companies keep getting bought and swallowed by larger corporate entities, and game/series rights changing hands.
Suits

Post by Suits »

A couple of the Zelda Games have benifitted from re-makes.

Taken the opportunity to shorten laborious task and tighten up a few loose strings. Wind Waker and Majora are the too that are best regarded I think.

As discussed already the original Master Chief Collection was an absolute disaster, which should have garnished more of a kickback I think.
Sean

Post by Sean »

ToQi wrote: September 6th, 2018, 5:50 pm
Alex79uk wrote: September 6th, 2018, 5:40 pm Uncharted trilogy, SotC, TLoU and MGS 2 and 3 have all been brilliant
All Bluepoint joints, as far as I'm aware.
Naughty Dog did TLOU:Remastered. It was their way of getting familiar with the architecture before Uncharted 4. But, yeah, Bluepoint are the masters.

Really hope that secret new project is Demon's Souls, but, no real reason to believe that to be the case. Just hope and a prayer.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I still believe.
ToQi

Post by ToQi »

Demon's Souls doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility — Sony-owned IP... Older, seminal cult classic (as with Shadow of the Colossus) Definitely in need of a lick of new paint and frame rate boost.

Soulsborne games have been being released at a fair clip since 2009 — there's obviously demand in the market. And it would contrast enough with Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice to not cannibalise interest too much.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ToQi wrote: September 7th, 2018, 10:41 am Will remastering games (properly) get harder as time goes by? Or easier as engineers working on emulation get better at their work?
I'm not sure this would be the case, as remasters are running natively on whatever platform they are released for rather than their former platform being emulated.

Your question would be better aimed at backwards compatibility.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ToQi wrote: September 10th, 2018, 11:08 am Demon's Souls doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility — Sony-owned IP... Older, seminal cult classic (as with Shadow of the Colossus) Definitely in need of a lick of new paint and frame rate boost.
Full remake in the DS3 engine? Yes please!
Yacobg42

Post by Yacobg42 »

Sean wrote: September 7th, 2018, 5:24 pm
ToQi wrote: September 6th, 2018, 5:50 pm
Alex79uk wrote: September 6th, 2018, 5:40 pm Uncharted trilogy, SotC, TLoU and MGS 2 and 3 have all been brilliant
All Bluepoint joints, as far as I'm aware.
Naughty Dog did TLOU:Remastered. It was their way of getting familiar with the architecture before Uncharted 4. But, yeah, Bluepoint are the masters.

Really hope that secret new project is Demon's Souls, but, no real reason to believe that to be the case. Just hope and a prayer.
I've wondered several times if they'd do full on remakes of the original god of war(s). I'd absolutely die to see some of those environments rendered with today's tech. They could frame it as "remembering who Kratos was" before the most recent release.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yacobg42 wrote: September 10th, 2018, 11:52 pm I've wondered several times if they'd do full on remakes of the original god of war(s). I'd absolutely die to see some of those environments rendered with today's tech. They could frame it as "remembering who Kratos was" before the most recent release.
Do you mean remakes in the old style with a new graphical engine like SotC, or in the new style with controllable camera / over-the-shoulder combat?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I don't think the old games would work in the new style, would be better to keep them as they were but just looking fantastic.
ToQi

Post by ToQi »

Playing The Collection version of Minerva's Den... Jeeez they didn't give it anywhere near the lick of paint they gave BioShock. Looks pretty clunky by comparison.

Still, I'm glad I'm getting the BioShock 2 gameplay experience (no time to dive into the main game)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Slowly dipping my toes into Mario + Luigi Superstar Saga remake on 3DS. The art style is more inline with the later games in the series but that doesn’t stop it from being a real fun RPG.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

All those Final Fantasy games they announced yesterday as getting Switch versions are also coming to XBO. I did wonder why FFXV Pocket appeared on XBO with no warning, I guess square had to hold back the whole announcement cause of the delay to the airing of the direct.

I might even be tempted to pay ff12 again if the achievements aren’t onerous.
ToQi

Post by ToQi »

Just days after pondering why there wasn't a more comprehensive approach to legacy series titles, Square-Enix (partially) consolidates its more modern Final Fantasy ports.

You've gotta imagine FF8 is on the way, along with cleaned up ports of earlier games (hey - if they're listening re: Chrono Trigger, maybe they got the message). And a FF13 collection, surely?
ToQi

Post by ToQi »

Flabyo wrote: September 14th, 2018, 8:11 am I might even be tempted to pay ff12 again if the achievements aren’t onerous.
Or you could replay it because it's the best one (mechanically) in the series? :P
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Thought I'd just chuck in a quick link regarding remakes/remasters and crediting the original authors - https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article ... developers

Seems somewhat relevant to this thread.
ToQi

Post by ToQi »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: September 18th, 2018, 6:24 am Thought I'd just chuck in a quick link regarding remakes/remasters and crediting the original authors - https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article ... developers

Seems somewhat relevant to this thread.
That's pretty fascinating, thanks. Apathy strikes again!