Remasters — the good, the bad, and the fugly

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Remasters — the good, the bad, and the fugly

Post by Alex79 »

But if a band recorded an album of cover songs, they'd only credit the songwriter and possibly original band. You wouldn't see album notes crediting the previous sound engineer, recording studio, trumpet player. Is this any different? Maybe, I don't know. Seems like an odd idea for an article, and I'm not sure 95% of gamers would be particularly bothered about it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Haven’t read the piece yet but quite a few remasters and rereleases do have the original team in the credits, as well as the remaster studio.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It’s an interesting one. Where you’re rebuilding the game from the ground up and redoing the assets and code then maybe you’d just credit the designers. But if you’re just building a layer that runs the original code underneath then I’d expect to see the original team fully credited.

The IGDA credit guidelines don’t really stretch to emulation, remasters and remakes. Maybe they’re due a bit of a tidy.
ToQi

Post by ToQi »

From a moral point of view, if the original credits are available, they should be included. Or, indeed, published online somewhere official.

You're re-presenting someone's original work. It never stopped being their work; I can't imagine that they opted-out of receiving credit every time their work is made available.
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

I really like remasters and with current gen (PS4/XB1) releases being as dull and uninteresting cash grabs as they are, remasters of very good, classic games is what I care about most.

I recently spent 90+ hours with one of my favourite racing games of all time Burnout Paradise Remastered. Absolutely amazing but...

....If there's one thing I dislike it's the lack of anything new or of interest to gamers coming back for more. Scrapped content, unreleased artwork, interviews with developers for example, should be standard. Keep the game the same, improve what you want, just give us extra content!

Rare Replay is what I'm talking about. That's how remasters should look. Just my opinion.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I'm okay with them when they do something along the lines of the first Persona game re-released on PSP.

They re-did the graphics. fixed the mistakes they made with characters (they changed the ethnicity of one of the characters to make it more "American" originally), re-translated the entire game and added a quest that had originally been cut.

It was a massive amount of effort and I was happy to support it.

On the flip side, the new Onimusha re-master is not having quite as much work done, but they are touching things up.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/08 ... y-15-2019/

And they're also releasing it at an insanely low price, so it doesn't feel like Capcom is trying to take advantage of consumers.