Videogames: Design/Play/Disrupt

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Simonsloth

Re: Videogames: Design/Play/Disrupt

Post by Simonsloth »

Wow. This sounds fantastic. Thanks for the info!
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Finally managed to find a couple of hours to head over to the V&A to check this exhibit out.

The openiing Design section is wonderful - snippets of design docs and final footage from the likes of The Last of Us and Bloodbourne to smaller titles like Kentucky Route Zero. All of it is fascinating to see working processes and my personal favourite was the section on Journey - that game was gorgeous when it came out and still invokes wonder whenever I see it

Disrupt is the second section and covers topics like sex, sexual preference, race, language, capitalism and more. It's all handled pretty objectively, the aim apparent to begin the conversation rather than present any viewpoint from the curators. Showing a game of Pong with the programming code operating in real time next to it was interested as it was being showed in Arabic rather than English - alluding to unconcious bias

There is a mini cinema to pass through that very quickly looks at some of the more social aspects of gaming - from cosplay construction via Minecraft to esports and ending with the sheer scale that Eve Online can manage. It was well edited though I was left wanting a little more from the video (and a personal note that the exit signage was rubbish ...)

The final play area had a number of custom made video games, made from such various sources as half a car, a couple of hard hats and a teddy bear. The variety was extraordinary to see but I was left wanting more. My favourite here was the LED tubing mentioned above - very easy to grasp the concept and great fun to play. I think it would have been more enjoyable had I attended with other people rather than just myself.

Overall, I think it was a good little exhibition, which is also, to me, it's biggest flaw - it's a little exhibition and you can easily breeze through in under an hour. Even if you double the time to properly check out all the design docs and properly watch all the videos, this seems a little brief.

I think the issue is that after the polished presentation of the design and disrupt sections, the play area is ramshackle. This is partly the point and I'm not certain I can think of a better way of doing it but it did make it fizzle out a bit towards the end, which was a shame as overall it's all very good - just not quite better than the sum of it's parts

I think I would have liked to have some form of 'investigation' area - something looking more at the industry as a whole and how it fits into the greater creative industry sector.

I also would have like some form of family area for children interested in video games but who were not yet old enough o properly engage with some of the underlying themes - something with an AR aspect (As far as Hololens, or MIcrosoft Table, or a simple as Starlink) maybe.

Ultimately I don't think this exhibition provides enough value to make a pilgrimage - and if you want the info, there is an exhibit book to go with it all, but if you happen to be in the South Kensington area, it's probably worth checking out
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Side note: while you’re at the V&A makes sure you visit the ‘cast court’. There’s nothing quite like it anywhere else in the world.