Resident Evil 2 (2019)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Magical_Isopod

Re: Resident Evil 2 (2019)

Post by Magical_Isopod »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 29th, 2019, 3:10 am Played through Claire's over the weekend, and finished a Leon 2nd Run No Damage yesterday.

Very conflicting emotions... but I think it is an excellent game in its own right.

Original soundtrack option is a shameless cash grab, but nevertheless worth every penny.

Edit: Btw, it looks like the "2nd Run" scenarios were added pretty late during development and are nowhere near as well considered as the original's A/B scenarios. Gameplay changes are minor and there are blatant plotholes. So, you guys might be disappointed if you expect the original's cohesion and interweaving plot lines.
I can forgive plot holes in certain types of games. I don't expect Foundation from Resident Evil.

By the way, I'm a Kingdom Hearts fan, I have a high tolerance for nonsensical writing. WHEN YOU WALK AWAY. YOU DON'T HEAR ME SAY.
(Though to be fair, I really only like the first one and DDD).
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

dezm0nd wrote: January 28th, 2019, 1:14 pm
Spoiler: show
Ah i see! Maybe was flying the helicopter? He does appear after you put the fire out on the chopper so theres a link there
This is now my head canon.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Oh, I wanted to say too... I wasn't sure how they were going to handle the sewer gator, if at all...
but it wound up being my favourite action scene of the game so far. Little Crash Bandicoot boulder section followed by meat shower? Oof. "Chew on that, you sum'bitch."
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Reminded me of Crash but had the brevity of Uncharted
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I can't remember the last time my opinion on a game had fluctuated this wildly.

From the initial gut-wrenching disappointment at the announcement trailer, steadily increasing pre-release hype, the mixed feelings after the 30-min demo, trying to go in with an open mind and being very pleasantly surprised about some of its key aspects during my first playthrough, having second thoughts immediately afterwards, focusing on the positives during my second playthrough and being fairly happy overall, to crashing down pretty hard once some of its issues became too difficult to ignore which led to my current feeling of disbelief and betrayal.

Half of this game I think is marvelous. The other half I completely despise. It's not pleasant in the slightest. :(
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Do you ever worry that over analysis may get in the way of enjoyment? I'm not trying to be facetious, genuine question.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yes.

But I'm not sure that trying to have a solid understanding of the material I'm presented with qualifies as overanalysis.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Oh had my first proper grumble

Really cant be bothered doing
Plant 43
again in Claire B. Tense enough the first time plus enemy patterns the same
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

So uh... You know how a certain big fella makes big clompy footsteps as he stalks you all around? Yeah, I was just doing Joint Health and Safety Committee training up in Barrie, and someone on the floor above the classroom started clamping around in nearly the same rhythm, and I damn near shit myself.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So having the same issue in 98 with 4th Survivor, it seems to be luck if you get to the end and the choice of weapons is poor for this mode.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I feel like I wound up liking this game more than most of the other users here. I'll need to give some time to mull it over, but RE2make may damn well enter my Top 25 list. It's certainly Top 3 Resident Evil after REmale and *maybe* Code Veronica. If nothing else, it really highlights just how not-horror much of RE4 is - it takes very similar core gameplay and goes full terror with it. RE2make is about as perfect as you could have made it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

DomsBeard wrote: January 30th, 2019, 5:01 pm 4th Survivor, it seems to be luck if you get to the end and the choice of weapons is poor for this mode.
Luck doesn't really play too big of a role considering the enemy placement is always exactly the same.

The randomized AI variables can indeed throw you for a loop in this one, but learning the layout and the most efficient manner to navigate each area is still key to success.

The handgun is only good for the first few zombies, SMG should be kept for the dogs, magnum for the few mandatory lickers, and the shotgun as your go-to weapon of choice for everything else. I'd recommend making as much shotgun ammo with your gunpowder as possible and keeping at least one hand grenade for the last segment, preferably two. It's definitely feasible if you persevere.

Hope this helps! :)
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 30th, 2019, 5:00 pm So uh... You know how a certain big fella makes big clompy footsteps as he stalks you all around?
He's killed me three god damn times tonight and I am getting quite, quite, quite fed up with him.

After I lost progress and restarted from the same place the third time.....and died.....I just quit.

It's not scary, it's just bloody annoying.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

ThirdDrawing wrote: January 30th, 2019, 9:10 pm
Magical_Isopod wrote: January 30th, 2019, 5:00 pm So uh... You know how a certain big fella makes big clompy footsteps as he stalks you all around?
He's killed me three god damn times tonight and I am getting quite, quite, quite fed up with him.

After I lost progress and restarted from the same place the third time.....and died.....I just quit.

It's not scary, it's just bloody annoying.
He's super easy to dodge though. Aside from the jail part, you always have enough space to weave around him. I took maybe 3 hits from the dude my entire playthrough - excluding the jail part, where they nuke you with like 8 zombies plus Big Boi. He's there to keep pressure on you, and there are tons of ways to loose him temporarily.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

The problem is he keeps hitting me in close quarters. There are specific rooms I need to get to, to progress the story and he keeps following me in and just beating the crap out of me. In a room where there are him *and* two other zombies in the same place.

And I don't have that many healing items right now.

And he keeps killing me in the same place. Like I said - not scary, not fun. Just frustrating.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ThirdDrawing wrote: January 30th, 2019, 11:47 pm The problem is he keeps hitting me in close quarters. There are specific rooms I need to get to, to progress the story and he keeps following me in and just beating the crap out of me. In a room where there are him *and* two other zombies in the same place.

And he keeps killing me in the same place. Like I said - not scary, not fun. Just frustrating.
I went through a similar patch. Most places you can get to via a long way round to shake him off, that is what I had to do in the end. Eventually he will lose you. I found him way easier to handle in Claire B for some reason.

I hit the same bump every time with 4th survivor, there is two doors on the way to the library which you have to let Zombies charge you as they are trying to open the door. Bear in mind X is chasing as well it wipes out all my health. Been killed each time by the
G monster
on the final stretch
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

ThirdDrawing wrote: January 30th, 2019, 11:47 pm The problem is he keeps hitting me in close quarters. There are specific rooms I need to get to, to progress the story and he keeps following me in and just beating the crap out of me. In a room where there are him *and* two other zombies in the same place.

You can lose him, albeit temporarily. Maybe try giving him the run around a ladder in the library abd use that time to further trick him. He absolutely does not enter the clock tower but im not sure if you're that far yet.
FemalePheromones

dezm0nd wrote: January 31st, 2019, 6:32 am

You can lose him, albeit temporarily. Maybe try giving him the run around a ladder in the library abd use that time to further trick him. He absolutely does not enter the clock tower but im not sure if you're that far yet.
He also doesn't enter the Dark Room, Break Room, Iron's Office and the Safe Room under the statue. The latter was my favourite one for avoiding him because he can go in any direction from there so there's a good chance he will go the opposite way to where you want to go.
FemalePheromones

So I just finished Claire 2nd last night after starting on Leon 1st.

I can understand people's frustrations with it a lot of things don't make sense.....
Doing the same puzzles in both scenaros doesn't bother me at all as it ws like that in the original and Sherry's segment is very different to Ada's so that changes it up nicely but other than that it doesn't really make sense.

You both fight G1, G2 and G3 in the exact same places int he exact same way. It wouldn't have been that difficult to have one character fight G1 and G3 while the other fights G2 like in the original and then G4 while the first character fights the Super Tyrant.

Annette dies is 2 completely different ways.

Birkin kills the Tyrant. Yet somehow it still shows up in the labs in Leon's scenario. For this to make sense they could have just had so the Tyrant had already "evolved" as a way of overcoming the damage Birkin had done to it.
I love the game but some things are hard to look past.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

FemalePheromones wrote: January 31st, 2019, 7:21 am I can understand people's frustrations with it a lot of things don't make sense.....
Yep.

They completely screwed up the scenarios. The "2nd Runs" aren't the B scenarios, they're just the A scenarios with a different starting point and remixed puzzles. I would have been perfectly fine with only one canon scenario for each character, as long as they were different enough and didn't outright contradict one another. Claire A + Leon B, ideally. But no. We got Claire A + Leon A instead. Makes zero sense.

The 1998 original has a better conceptualized storytelling structure. If there's one thing I would expect modern games to do properly, it would be storytelling. And that's a shame, because the new cutscenes are absolutely fantastic.