Resident Evil 2 (2019)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Resident Evil 2 (2019)

Post by DomsBeard »

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... -this-week

Had no idea about this, it sounds great. Three short bits with Kendo, Mayors Daughter and another Umbrella soldier with some new zombie variations.

Really interested in more Kendo stuff
Spoiler: show
pretty much in tears at that bit
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So played the 3 new scenarios today and they aren't really for me. They are just different time trials to run and each one has a new variation of enemy in.

Kendos is zombie is that gives out poison gas on death, mayors daughter is an invincible enemy similar to the regenerator in Resi 4 and the other USS is enemies in body armour.

I was hoping to find out what happened with Kendo as that scene in the main game just wanted me to know more
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

I'm really sorry to resurrect an old topic (and if you'd rather it stayed dead you could shoot it in the head to see if it stays down... badum tish is this mic on etc) but I'm currently playing this and am midway through Claire's campaign. I know Leon's campaign is a bit different and you need to do both to get the "true" ending, but would you say it's worth doing both? I'm enjoying myself but I worry if I do Leon's plotline as well it will all feel too long/draggy. But if not doing Leon's plotline means the game feels incomplete, I'd prefer to do it.

This is my first Resi game apart from playing four/five hours of Resi7 last year.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Absolutely no problem reviving old topics here.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

As I understand it you get the true final boss and ending cinematic by doing both, plus the B scenario remixes the areas and encounters a bit.

I haven't done this yet as I did half of Claire A then fell off, eventually went back and ran through Leon A. It'll be a nice way to revisit the game at some point, but I didn't feel an urge to marathon both scenarios.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

Thank you! I feel like I should at least try Leon's campaign otherwise it will bother me that I didn't (...if I manage to finish Claire's campaign, that is. I'm not great at inventory management or the game in general).

The game can be pretty tense so maybe I'll alternate it with something lighter. I love horror movies, and can watch some of the most horrible ones without batting an eye, but horror video games where I have to be an active participant always make me so tense (it's great!)

On paper, Mr X is hilarious (poor socially awkward man chasing me around with his big shoulder pads) and if Resi2 was a film it would be the sort of fun-and-dumb zombie action movie I'd watch tipsy with friends, but when I'm playing the game and hearing Mr X hunt for me, my heart-rate goes up and I have to turn the volume way down... or put a sitcom on in the background. :lol:
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

To be honest I only played this in the daylight, these zombos are much too well designed and rendered for my liking now. Used to be fine when they were bumbling polygon-people going "muurrr!".

It is impressive that despite all the DMX memes and stuff, and him becoming a bit of a punchline, it is still absolutely mortifying when X shows up.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

Jon Cheetham wrote: February 13th, 2021, 5:32 am It is impressive that despite all the DMX memes and stuff, and him becoming a bit of a punchline, it is still absolutely mortifying when X shows up.
I think it's the same principle that makes "It Follows" such a scary film - being chased is panic-inducing anyway, but something unstoppable walking slowly and calmly towards you wherever you hide is horrifying. It's walking because it doesn't need to run - it knows it will get you anyway!
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Yeah those footsteps are a brilliant bit of audio design. There's some really interesting yt videos on how his AI works as well. He genuinely is looking for you. All the time.