Resident Evil 2 (2019)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Resident Evil 2 (2019)

Post by Alex79 »

I tried the demo tonight. Not for me.

Aside: anyone else have issues with HDR? That's two games I've tried with it now, and two that looked crap and blurry with it turned on. Starting to think it's my TV :(
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So my clock says I'm 7 and a bit hours in. This doesn't include deaths as I have died a hell of a lot.

So I am up to
Spoiler: show
Nest and those flower zombies are horrific, remind me of those Regenerators from Resi 4. Putting the chemical together
I thought
Ada's section was naff. Not enough ammo in a really poorly lit area
For some reason
The scene in the gun shop really got to me as a Dad. It didnt go how you think it would go and that's why it worked so well
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alex79uk wrote: January 25th, 2019, 9:50 pm I tried the demo tonight. Not for me.

Aside: anyone else have issues with HDR? That's two games I've tried with it now, and two that looked crap and blurry with it turned on. Starting to think it's my TV :(
Some games look better than others in HDR, but if it looks really bad you’ve probably got something set up wrong. There are a lot pitfalls when you consider the combination of console settings, game options, TV inputs, the various types of HDR...
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Alex79uk wrote: January 25th, 2019, 9:50 pm I tried the demo tonight. Not for me.

It's definitely not blurry on my HDR set. If anything, I'd say the gore looks unusually shiny? But I think that's an issue with the engine, not my TV - I seem to recall RE7 being similar is this regard.

One thing to keep in mind with HDR - you NEED an HDR compatible HDMI cable to have it rendered properly. I wanna say these are.... HDMI 2.1? I'm not certain. But that could be your issue.

Also try fiddling with image processing and colour settings on your TV - a lot of sets come with really crappy energy saving settings enabled by default for the sake of retailers, which is silly.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Not since MGSV have I been this conflicted about a game... :|
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks both, I actually had a fiddle with the settings on my TV, and it seems to be working now (Spiderman looks awesome!) It had all kinds of crap turned on like motion smoothing, adaptive contrast, dynamic blacklight etc. Turned everything off, the sharpness up a little and we're all good! Even Red Dead looks great now, too :)

(I did get a new HDMI cable also when we got the TV)
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Alex79uk wrote: January 26th, 2019, 8:38 am Thanks both, I actually had a fiddle with the settings on my TV, and it seems to be working now (Spiderman looks awesome!) It had all kinds of crap turned on like motion smoothing, adaptive contrast, dynamic blacklight etc. Turned everything off, the sharpness up a little and we're all good! Even Red Dead looks great now, too :)

(I did get a new HDMI cable also when we got the TV)
Good to hear! If I remember right, TVs are shipped with really crap settings so they can meet a certain EnergyStar rating, but it's also there for retailers to save energy on display models and such. My TCL shipped out of the box with mostly correct settings - but I remember spending hours getting my old RCA to look good.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Resi 2 remake made me cry. I was not expecting THAT.

Finished Leons campaign and dove straight into Claires story. Still loving it
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

This game is brilliant. BRILLIANT!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

dezm0nd wrote: January 26th, 2019, 4:47 pm Resi 2 remake made me cry. I was not expecting THAT.

Finished Leons campaign and dove straight into Claires story. Still loving it
Was it
Kendo
if so I wasnt far off.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Yeah, it really caught me off guard both in where they've placed it and how they handled the story moment.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

dezm0nd wrote: January 26th, 2019, 5:50 pm Yeah, it really caught me off guard both in where they've placed it and how they handled the story moment.
Yeah agree 100%
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

So...this isn't the same story at the original, then? It seems like more of a 'new' game than I thought it was going to be. I thought it was literally going to be Resident Evil 2 in third person with shiny graphics. Even just the demo seemed like a totally different experience. I didn't like how the zombies seemed like absolute bullet sponges, but I'm guessing they can't be that bad in the full game, or you can upgrade to better weapons fairly quickly?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I would say it plays on the fact you played the original.

Yes the zombies can be bullet sponges, you need to manage them rather than try to take them out and pick your battles.

E.G. there is one corridor I cleared and boarded up as it was narrow and I figured I would be using it a lot. Another room was large and spacious so I either took a couple of legs out so they were slow or led them to one side of the room whilst I did what I needed to do.

I could go on but it would kind of spoilery but the sound design is key with this game and that is why the score this time is more understated.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Alex79uk wrote: January 26th, 2019, 7:53 pm So...this isn't the same story at the original, then? It seems like more of a 'new' game than I thought it was going to be. I thought it was literally going to be Resident Evil 2 in third person with shiny graphics. Even just the demo seemed like a totally different experience. I didn't like how the zombies seemed like absolute bullet sponges, but I'm guessing they can't be that bad in the full game, or you can upgrade to better weapons fairly quickly?
They aren't bullet sponges anymore than RE2... 2-8 bullets seems to be about right compared to the original. Plus the game gives you waaaaaaay more ammo. And you can evade much easier - I've been able to avoid fighting two lickers just by walking real slow - they are blind in this game.

And yeah, it seems to be real different. Police station has a lot more rooms and the game seems to be suggesting there may be new levels a la the Cabin in REmake.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Well into Claire B now.

I was surprised with
How much they skipped at the start, I was hoping you would get to see what happened with Kendo not just rock up at the back of the station, Mind you my memory is hazy with what happens with Claire B at the beginning in 1998 so could be the same
You do certainly progress faster once you know the station like the back of your hand
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I jumped into Claire A i presume as its pretty much the same as the Leon playthrough with some changes in the middle.

I take it the 2nd run is the B campaign?

Also the DLC for original music is quality
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

dezm0nd wrote: January 27th, 2019, 5:46 pm I take it the 2nd run is the B campaign?
Correct.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Just finished Claire A and immediately started Leons B. Kinda glad I did the two A runs first and really excited to see how the B sides play out. Never done that before with the original.

Edit: Oh my, it's completely different! I wasn't aware of such drastic changes. I take it Leon A + Claire B = The Whole picture?

Leon B seems to fill in some blanks that I saw on Claire A. Utterly fascinating.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

dezm0nd wrote: January 27th, 2019, 8:23 pm I take it Leon A + Claire B = The Whole picture?
Yes, pretty much. Claire A + Leon B is equally valid, and was actually touted as the canon choice for the longest time. Not sure how things stand with the remake, but any combination of A+B scenarios is meant to form the complete RE2 experience.

dezm0nd wrote: January 27th, 2019, 8:23 pm Leon B seems to fill in some blanks that I saw on Claire A. Utterly fascinating.
It's neat, isn't it? That was the idea even in the original. I wish more games would try something like this.