Resident Evil 2 (2019)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Magical_Isopod

Re: Resident Evil 2 (2019)

Post by Magical_Isopod »

In original RE2, the two campaigns were *similar*, but had some differences. Chiefly, Claire's campaign dealt far more with Birkin, Sheri and Irons, where Leon's focused more on Ada and Mr. X, with Birkin showing up when he felt so inclined... But they both treaded mostly the same maps in roughly the same order.

However, the A/B order matters - if I remember correctly, Mr. X only appears in Leon B. Something like that. In RE2make, the devs stated before release that there is no "A/B" route in that sense - there is only one version of Claire's route, and only one version of Leon's. Which I definitely prefer.

I'm REALLY excited to see what they're done with the Factory/Lab area in the REmake, because those were my favourite parts of RE2.

I'm roughly 2.5 hours into the game according to the in-game clock. I'm really digging it so far - they have done a really great job of replacing the fixed camera angles with sound design -- what I mean is, the tense moments caused by lack of camera control have been suitably replaced by really clever sound-design. When a monster is right on your ass, YOU HEAR IT. The first Birkin fight exists seemingly as an ammo drain, specifically so you're put in a situation where you have a jail and a dog kennel filled with zimbambos and dogglesteins, respectively, and you're required to open all the locked gates housing them.... right after an ammo drain fight.

THANKS CAPCOM.
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 28th, 2019, 2:45 am In RE2make, the devs stated before release that there is no "A/B" route in that sense - there is only one version of Claire's route, and only one version of Leon's. Which I definitely prefer.
They straight up lied. It is literally the same A/B style scenarios. They've just called them 1st run and 2nd run instead of A and B.

I played Leon A first and am now on Claire B and it definitely seems noticably more difficult. The reload time of Claire's revolver is a killer.

One small thing that bugged me is that in A there was no cutscene showing the Tyrant turn up he was just suddenlt in the RPD so I was expecting to see that cut scene in B but again he is just in the RPD with no explanation.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Theres definitely a cutscene introducing Mr X/Tyrant for Leon A but not for Claire A. If i chose Claire first I'd be a bit puzzled as to why he turns up out of the blue. It really feels like capcom want you to play them in order of the main menu.
Spoiler: show
In the prison cell, the mans head getting crushed and his eye popping out.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I also noticed flavour text is used more to flesh out characters like Mr X and Chief Irons.

I actually prefer how Mr X rocks up after the initial bit just ''here I am''. Be interested to know how the A.I. works as there was a bit where I was thinking it would be difficult if he walked through the door I was approaching and there he was on the other side!.

Way more
Lickers in the police station alongside zombies
in Claire B which makes you plan your routes more carefully
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

dezm0nd wrote: January 28th, 2019, 8:35 am Theres definitely a cutscene introducing Mr X/Tyrant for Leon A but not for Claire A. If i chose Claire first I'd be a bit puzzled as to why he turns up out of the blue. It really feels like capcom want you to play them in order of the main menu.
In the prison cell, the mans head getting crushed and his eye popping out.
Sorry I didn't explain it very well. I meant as to how he ended up in the RPD. In the original there was a cutscene of him being dropped from a helicopter. In this one it just seems that he was already in the RPD as the whole building is locked down.

Unless there was a hole in the roof somewhere that I missed.
Also that cutscene in the jail was great.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Ah i see! Maybe was flying the helicopter? He does appear after you put the fire out on the chopper so theres a link there
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Hmmm maybe
His arrival is shown in the Hunk mode?
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Ah i forgot about Hunk. i hope so, gives me more reason to play the game as if i needed it!
Gonna properly sink my teeth into Leon B tonight and see whats happening, story wise.
James

Post by James »

Phew, sounds like our Leon C dodged a bullet... or a tetanus shot, at least. ;)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

He's next
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I managed to find a US copy in Hong Kong with all of the lovely violence intact.

I have started Leon first, and I am genuinely surprised at just how violent it is. And nobody seems to be batting an eye.

I was expecting more of an uproar about it because it's "realistic" and whatnot.

Not complaining that people are quiet though!

I was a little worried that I wasn't going to enjoy the game because the control scheme was too similar to RE4's.

Thankfully, the camera helps a lot and feel like Leon here is a fair bit faster than in RE4. Must be because he's younger!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I TOTALLY WASN'T EXPECTING
MR. X TO SHOW UP DURING AN A ROUTE
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK THIS GAME IS ACTUALLY SCARING ME.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Player an hour of Leon B and holy fuck. Its terrifying for almost all the reasons.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

dezm0nd wrote: January 28th, 2019, 9:00 pm Player an hour of Leon B and holy fuck. Its terrifying for almost all the reasons.
Oh God, No Deal Brexit happened in that universe?
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Mr breXit
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

dezm0nd wrote: January 28th, 2019, 9:21 pmMr breXit
😮
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 28th, 2019, 9:26 pm
dezm0nd wrote: January 28th, 2019, 9:21 pmMr breXit
😮
T-UK1P, Codename "Nigel"
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

James wrote: January 28th, 2019, 5:42 pm Phew, sounds like our Leon C dodged a bullet... or a tetanus shot, at least. ;)
This made me laugh more than it should have!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Played through Claire's over the weekend, and finished a Leon 2nd Run No Damage yesterday.

Very conflicting emotions... but I think it is an excellent game in its own right.

Original soundtrack option is a shameless cash grab, but nevertheless worth every penny.

Edit: Btw, it looks like the "2nd Run" scenarios were added pretty late during development and are nowhere near as well considered as the original's A/B scenarios. Gameplay changes are minor and there are blatant plotholes. So, you guys might be disappointed if you expect the original's cohesion and interweaving plot lines.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

To be fair, any extra content after the brilliant first run is bonus material for me. If the 2nd runs aren't as fleshed out then it wont affect my overall enjoyment of such a brilliant game.