Resident Evil 2 (2019)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Magical_Isopod

Re: Resident Evil 2 (2019)

Post by Magical_Isopod »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 31st, 2019, 4:18 pm Apart from Resi 6...

Worth a look here for comparisons based on user-registered times: https://howlongtobeat.com/

RE3: Nemesis currently showing as 6.5 hours for a simple completion, same as RE1 (1996).

RE2 (2019) is showing as 7.5 but that's early data.
It took 11.5 hours on my first play of RE2make. But I like to scour for goodies.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

We all replayed RE3 for the show last year, the average time was around 6.5 hours (as per How Long to Beat).

Obviously you can speedrun it (down to 41 minutes in fact if playing the fastest - Japanese PC - version), but 6.5 is the measured average for most people.

It's the same length as RE1 (1996) give or take), and was a full price release at the time, and I don't recall any serious complaints about its brevity or vfm.

It would be a welcome but quite generous chunk of dlc. My guess at pricing would be around £25/$30 if they did it.
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 31st, 2019, 4:18 pm
RE2 (2019) is showing as 7.5 but that's early data.
It actually took me about 7 hours 45 for Leon A and 7 hours 15 for Claire B so that's a bang on average.
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

But then I guess the 2 scenarios together is what you would call the "full game" so that's 15 hours for me.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

FemalePheromones wrote: January 31st, 2019, 4:25 pm But then I guess the 2 scenarios together is what you would call the "full game" so that's 15 hours for me.
Yes, I'm not sure how HLTB is measuring it - presumably to first credit roll but that is arguably not 'correct'.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 31st, 2019, 4:21 pm Uh... No. RE3 is super short. It's like 3 hours long.
No what? I said this type of thing obviously varies from player to player. You can speedrun every game, but there is no way that a proper RE3 playthrough on Normal/Hard with all the Nemesis fights is only going to take 3 hours.

I replay the series every other year and there's no way that's correct. The CaR team took twice as long on their recent playthrough even though they all skipped the optional fights, if I remember correctly.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 31st, 2019, 4:49 pm The CaR team took twice as long on their recent playthrough even though they all skipped the optional fights, if I remember correctly.
Indeed we did, as per my post above, our time to credits averaged around 6-7 hours across the team, which tallies perfectly with the data recorded on the HLTB website.

If I recall correctly I was slightly slower with something over 7 hours, compared to the just under 7 I clocked when I played it first (on Easy) back in 99/2000.

It might be a 'gaiden', but it's a 'full length' Resi game by the standards of the series at the time, (until C:V started to up the ante).
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 31st, 2019, 4:53 pm Indeed we did, as per my post above, our time to credits averaged around 6-7 hours across the team, which tallies perfectly with the data recorded on the HLTB website.
Well, to be perfectly honest with you, I don't put too much stock into calculating playtimes as a way of evaluating a game in general and the HLTB website in particular. There are always plenty of factors that end up being unaccounted for.

The reason I mentioned the Nemesis fights for example is because they do increase the overall playtime by a significant amount. It's not just the fights themselves, but the resource drain afterwards that is often more taxing than a lot of people may assume.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

HLTB offers a mean average, to be used as a rough guide, which is an extremely handy resource for us.

It's nothing to do with evaluating the game though, we're just talking about the 'time to beat' here (the two hour podcast hopefully did a better job of the former)!

Playstyles and in-game choices will obviously make a big difference, maybe up to 25 or even 33%.
I do not believe that three hours is typical though, other than people who have already beaten the game multiple times and know it intimately.

I expect folks are already beating RE2 (2019) in 4-5 hours or less.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Oh yeah of course, it's obviously going to be a valuable resource when planning out the shows in advance.

But unfortunately, I've often witnessed people on the wider internet criticize games for their (short) length in a very condescending way without taking individual design philosophies into account, which tends to rub me the wrong way.

ratsoalbion wrote: January 31st, 2019, 5:06 pm I expect folks are already beating RE2 (2019) in 4-5 hours or less.
Ha, I just finished my first S+ rank in 2 hours 40-something minutes earlier! :P
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I have played RE3 twice, and I usually have a guide to skip all the optional Nemesis fights... I remember having it ranked quite low in the series canon because of how insubstantial it felt each time. 3 or 4 hours is the number I have in mind for it as a whole. Def not talking speed runs or pro playthroughs - I just hated the idea of Nemesis as a 50/50 ammo dump. And I'd also contest RE2 (original) as a 6 hour game - it's got at least two campaigns and a mini-campaign. RE3 is just the one go. Hence why I consider it more of a spin-off than a full game.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I think I'll give it a replay sometime this year though. Especially if it pops up a E3 or TGS.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 31st, 2019, 5:17 pm Hence why I consider it more of a spin-off than a full game.
That's perfectly fair - the game was originally intended to be a "gaiden"-type affair, and it shows.

But in my personal experience across my numerous playthroughs, difficulty setting and Nemesis fights make a major difference in terms of final completion time. That's all. :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Well, that and RE3 literally is a spin-off (as we discussed on this and our RE3/C:V podcasts), despite the number in the title that it eventually received upon Sony's insistence.

However, fact is it takes most people almost exactly the same amount of time as the original RE1 to actually get to the end - 6-7 hours, not 3.

But yes, RE2 is absolutely bigger/longer than that if you play it all properly, as most certainly is C:V and everything beyond.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 31st, 2019, 5:11 pm Ha, I just finished my first S+ rank in 2 hours 40-something minutes earlier! :P
Ha! Well there you go. I've only played up to the police station (CaR commitments)! :D

One of the many facets we decided to try not to judge games on when we started (along with their file size, production budget, origin, platform and other extraneous factors) was game length compared to other games.

Absolutely no 'short is bad, long is good' bollocks - or vice versa. I believe we have maintained that throughout. We might individually find some games to be too long or too short for their - or our - own good, but that's as far as that metric goes.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 31st, 2019, 5:21 pm
Magical_Isopod wrote: January 31st, 2019, 5:17 pm Hence why I consider it more of a spin-off than a full game.
That's perfectly fair - the game was originally intended to be a "gaiden"-type affair, and it shows.

But in my personal experience across my numerous playthroughs, difficulty setting and Nemesis fights make a major difference in terms of final completion time. That's all. :)
Ah, okay. It's likely I played it on easy - I am really not skilled with faster paced games at all. Better now than as a kid, but as I've mentioned before, Bloodborne is a game I simply cannot play because of the physical dexterity required to advance. And given that I skipped Rocket Tentacle Lad... Probably makes up for the discrepancy.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 31st, 2019, 5:23 pm Well, that and RE3 literally is a spin-off (as we discussed on this and our RE3/C:V podcasts), despite the number in the title that it eventually received upon Sony's insistence.

However, fact is it takes most people almost exactly the same amount of time as the original RE1 to actually get to the end - 6-7 hours, not 3.

But yes, RE2 is absolutely bigger/longer than that if you play it all properly, as most certainly is C:V and everything beyond.
What really surprises me is how long RE4 is! Is drags a little in some sections, sure, but 16-20 hours for what is ostensibly an action game? It sure never feels it. I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of it, but that is definitely an achievement in solid game design.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 31st, 2019, 5:24 pm Probably makes up for the discrepancy.
Yes, probably. And also: Easy mode in RE3 isn't so much an easy mode as an "arranged" mode of sorts, with all the power weapons unlocked right from the start. That + Guide - Nemmy make it a breeze to run through.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

RE4 is pretty long. And even as a huge fan who has completed the game multiple times, I do wonder if the final 'military' section(s) needed to be quite so extensive.

Resi 6 is the longest, and very much feels it too in my experience. Gah, never again.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 31st, 2019, 5:23 pm One of the many facets we decided to try not to judge games on when we started (along with their file size, production budget, origin, platform and other extraneous factors) was game length compared to other games.

Absolutely no short is bad, long is good bollocks - or vice versa. I believe we have maintained that throughout.
Oh yes, absolutely. It's actually one of the things I appreciate the most about CaR.
ratsoalbion wrote: January 31st, 2019, 5:30 pm RE4 is pretty long. And even as a huge fan who has completed the game multiple times, I do wonder if the final 'military' section(s) needed to be quite so extensive.

Resi 6 is the longest, and very much feels it too in my experience. Gah, never again.
Agree on RE6, disagree on RE4, unsurprisingly! :D