Gaming Goals for 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ColinAlonso

Re: Gaming Goals for 2019

Post by ColinAlonso »

True. Could you also rewind in battles, I played it 8 years ago and might be remembering incorrectly. Even then it got the better of me. :(
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

DomsBeard wrote: January 3rd, 2019, 11:18 am Games I want to play/finish this year:

3. Cyberpunk 2077
Maybe set this one for 2020 or whenever the next gen consoles drop I reckon! :)
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I know I’ll end up spending a fortune on Switch games, but this year I want to focus on what I’ve already got:
1. Finish off the huge PS4 backlog that I’ve now got down to just Uncharted 2-4 and Batman: Return to Arkham.
2. Play through Final Fantasy on the NES Classic and Super Castlevania IV, Earthbound and Secret of Mana on the SNES Classic.
3. Finally finish Resident Evil Zero, Rogue Squadron 2 and Metroid Prime on GameCube before another decade ends!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

ColinAlonso wrote: January 13th, 2019, 2:34 pm
Magical_Isopod wrote: January 13th, 2019, 3:42 am - Tactics Ogre: Lettuce Cling Together (PSP version, which I've heard is much easier than the original)
The original must be insanely hard then. The PSP version broke me late in the game and I never finished it.
The SNES version is literally so hard I could not advance past the second story fight.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I've mentioned this to a few people that I speak to on here already, but since I'm not on a lot of time consuming games for this year's CaR volume, I'm planning to go on a bit of a chronological platform adventure (OR METROIDVANIA IF YOU MUST) tear this year, from classics like games of the Monster World series, Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night to newer examples like Shadow Complex, Ori and Hollow Knight and see how they all stack up and compare to each other. It's been long overdue.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Michiel K wrote: January 14th, 2019, 5:08 pm I've mentioned this to a few people that I speak to on here already, but since I'm not on a lot of time consuming games for this year's CaR volume, I'm planning to go on a bit of a chronological platform adventure (OR METROIDVANIA IF YOU MUST) tear this year, from classics like games of the Monster World series, Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night to newer examples like Shadow Complex, Ori and Hollow Knight and see how they all stack up and compare to each other. It's been long overdue.
My Dutch amigo, you MUST play Iconoclasts. It's right there with Ori and Hollow Knight in terms of must-play indie. It's getting a Limited Run release soon.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 15th, 2019, 7:12 am My Dutch amigo, you MUST play Iconoclasts. It's right there with Ori and Hollow Knight in terms of must-play indie. It's getting a Limited Run release soon.
Alright, I heard ya! :P Monster Boy is high up on my list as well. John Linneman said all the right things about it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Michiel K wrote: January 15th, 2019, 10:02 am Monster Boy is high up on my list as well.
Yeah, I’m just waiting for more physical to come into stock and I’m jumping on that for sure.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I made up a big calendar to plot out the games I wanna play this year. I will be streaming EVERYTHING on here (twitch.tv/pyramidheadcrab) so follow me if you want.

I gave myself lots of space to tackle these games, and the first quarter of the year is super front-loaded with new releases, as I expected. Anyway, have a a gander if you feel like it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 9dCKtRVs74
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Michiel K wrote: January 14th, 2019, 5:08 pm I've mentioned this to a few people that I speak to on here already, but since I'm not on a lot of time consuming games for this year's CaR volume, I'm planning to go on a bit of a chronological platform adventure (OR METROIDVANIA IF YOU MUST) tear this year, from classics like games of the Monster World series, Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night to newer examples like Shadow Complex, Ori and Hollow Knight and see how they all stack up and compare to each other. It's been long overdue.
Going to have to add Strider 2014 and Outland to this mix as well.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

You know what, y'all? Assuming Final Fantasies 12 and 13 for CaR don't give me JRPG burnout (well, along with planned playthroughs of Seiken 3 and Tictacs Ogre...)? I think I'm finally gonna take another stab at Digital Devil Saga this year. I loved that game to bits, but I hit a difficulty spike and couldn't get past it.

I guess it's really the only traditional turn-based boi of the lot, so... Yeah, time to rework that calendar!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 5:13 am Tictacs Ogre
Well, I laughed. :lol:
Beck

Post by Beck »

I've been in a slump with gaming for a good while with only a dozen or so completions last year. This year I want to start to enjoy gaming again and I think part of that will to be to focus on games one at a time rather than playing a little bit of everything. I've got a reasonable backlog to work through but for the first time in a while, I'm excited to turn on a console.

First game up, A Legend of Zelda - A Link Between Worlds.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Beck wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 1:14 pm I've been in a slump with gaming for a good while with only a dozen or so completions last year.
A dozen or so completions ain't bad for a slump mate! I did 15 last year and was pretty pleased with myself!

Seriously though, if you're not enjoying it then why not take a break and wait for something that really pulls you back in?

I think it's an interesting topic for discussion - feeling tied into gaming in some way. I guess the same can be said for any hobby or activity. You do something for so long that it becomes part of who you are, but it's always worth the occasional reality check to make sure you're still getting what you need from it.

With gaming the culture is so involving and consuming sometimes - wanting to be part of the conversation around the latest releases, getting swept up in the excitement around upcoming ones, being knowledgeable about games from the past, and that's all aside from actually trying to be any good at the games you play!

I know I've felt the pressure in the past to play more, know more, be better. And then I had a word with myself and remembered the whole thing is just about having fun. Or least it should be for me personally. The most important thing was being firm with myself that I wouldn't play games just because I feel like I should anymore, whether that's picking up and playing a new game on release, or sticking with a classic I felt like I should play even if I wasn't enjoying it. Or just playing anything at all if I didn't really feel like it.

Am I bonkers or do/have others felt the same way?
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Sinclair - Have a look at my backlog guide posted a couple days back. If you're not enjoying a game, there's no shame in bouncing on it. Like, no hyperbole, I consider Breath of the Wild to be one of the absolute worst games I've ever played. It's "a classic", but it's something I personally find absolutely nothing enjoyable about. Why waste hours of my life on such a thing?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 2:47 pm I consider Breath of the Wild to be one of the absolute worst games I've ever played.
So that I can digest this statement better, can you sum up (very briefly) why ??
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 2:47 pm I consider Breath of the Wild to be one of the absolute worst games I've ever played.
I know what you mean. I find Big Rigs the absolute cream of the crop of all games I've ever played in my 35+ years of history with video games. Nothing else even comes close to that kind of quality and pure, uncut electronic entertainment. No hyperbole.

:D :twisted: ;)
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Suits wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 3:09 pm
So that I can digest this statement better, can you sum up (very briefly) why ??
Big, dead open world, glass weapons, no dungeons, copy/pasted textures overused to the point it feels like an Itch.io Unity game, no story, boring minimalist score, stupid game design choices like not being able to climb in the rain, just... So many bad, lazy game design choices that people excuse just because it's Nintendo.

I was expecting a game that would feel like hiking and adventuring in a fantasy world, but instead I got this open world thing full of outdated tropes western open world games got tired of a decade ago with limitations defenders call "realism" that are nowhere near realistic. Like... You CAN climb a mountain in the rain IRL. You CAN smack something with a sword more than three times before it shatters. It's just an abysmal experience all around, and the single most disappointing game I've ever wasted money on.

It makes Start Fox Zero look like a masterpiece.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 3:17 pm
Suits wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 3:09 pm
Big, dead open world, glass weapons, no dungeons, copy/pasted textures overused to the point it feels like an Itch.io Unity game, no story, boring minimalist score, stupid game design choices like not being able to climb in the rain, just... So many bad, lazy game design choices that people excuse just because it's Nintendo.

I was expecting a game that would feel like hiking and adventuring in a fantasy world, but instead I got this open world thing full of outdated tropes western open world games got tired of a decade ago with limitations defenders call "realism" that are nowhere near realistic. Like... You CAN climb a mountain in the rain IRL. You CAN smack something with a sword more than three times before it shatters. It's just an abysmal experience all around, and the single most disappointing game I've ever wasted money on.

It makes Start Fox Zero look like a masterpiece.
Lovely, cheers man.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m only an hour in admittedly (to BoTW) but I think I feel the complete opposite. I’m probably being influenced by my recent Zelda 2 mastery but it’s got a vibe similar to that. I’m probably alone in that opinion but it feels so bleak and the world so ominous.

I’m playing on the go on my switch so in small chunks. Once nier is done I’ll be dedicating my time to this and we shall see.