Gaming Goals for 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ColinAlonso

Re: Gaming Goals for 2019

Post by ColinAlonso »

I really should play Sorcery! at some point.

But not in 2019 it seems. As with the last 2 years, I've prepared a couple of lists. This first is a selection from the Cane and Rinse Volume 8 list. Obviously I need to wait for the team to release the schedule before I can pick what I want to play along with so its just to complete Final Fantasy 8 for now.

The second list is games that I own that I want to play in 2019:

Her Story
Tearaway
Firewatch
Night in the Woods
A Bird Story
Finding Paradise
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Finish that World of Light mode at some point, I've taken a break from it and am just playing around with it)
Thumper
Ridge Racer V
Gregory Horror Show
Professor Layton and Pandora's Box
Professor Layton and the Lost Future
Hyper Light Drifter
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Red Dead Redemption 2
Horizon: Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds

The first three are notably bad as they were on my 2017 and 2018 list. The rest weren't on the lists this time last year.

There's a third list that I keep of games that have my interest but that I have not committed to (i.e. not bought) that I'll come back to when I've whittled down the above list a bit and pick a couple from there.

RDR2 looks like the big time sink there. Compared to 2018, where I played nearly 30 games including 4.5 Final Fantasies, Breath of the Wild and Horizon:Zero Dawn, it looks like a lighter year. That's probably a good thing, I don't think I'll have quite as much time in 2019.

Good luck with the exams ThirdMan. :)
James

Post by James »

Well, I have 110 games in my backlog. Sounds bad, but that's something of an achievement. Like you, I cut a swathe off my previously several hundreds long backlog, in my case by switching PSN accounts back in 2016 or so.

Since then, I've had a dozen or so gaming tapas periods where I blitzed through as many of my backlog games as possible. Just trying them out to see if I want to go back to them in a more concerted manner. I'm now down to 110 games, and my one, single gaming goal for 2019 is to clear them all off the list.

I want to get to the point where I can better focus on what's coming out now and what I'm playing for Cane And Rinse, without having to worry about the albatross on my back. Honestly, it's probably not fair to some of these games that I'm judging whether or not they deserve my attention based on a very limited play time, but I have to stop pretending I'll ever have the sort of time it'd take to complete them all.

See you at the end of the year with a clear backlog and a clear conscience. ;-)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I don't really operate a back catalogue as such, just kind of think of a couple of games in my collection I want to play after whatever I'm playing at the time. Often I'll get to them and then not be in the mood for them so pop them back on the pile. My only aim for early 2019 is to finish Red Dead and Spider-Man, and play through The Gardens Between. Also I need to finish Shenmue 2. Outside that, the world is my oyster!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

My goal is to get up to date with my backlog courtesy of cane and rinse. I’ve got a playlist inspired by previous podcast entries which has a lot of Nintendo, Rare and Souls games on it so I don’t anticipate making too big a dent. It’s 110 games long too! I’m also planning on playing along with the show!
macstat

Post by macstat »

My gaming goals is to play less so i can finish my phd :> I know ... its pretty hard thing to do :P
fieldy

Post by fieldy »

So since I started loving Bloodborne so much in 2018 I'm going to try and beat all three souls games in 2019 - that along with Nioh and I think I have a pretty difficult year ahead in gaming terms 😉
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

fieldy wrote: December 31st, 2018, 9:46 pm So since I started loving Bloodborne so much in 2018 I'm going to try and beat all three souls games in 2019 - that along with Nioh and I think I have a pretty difficult year ahead in gaming terms 😉
If you happen to have a PS3 lying around, Demon's Souls could be added to that list ;)

My gaming goals are modest this year. I'd rather retire to the couch of an evening than spend more time in front of a PC, so this has resulted in me neglecting PC gaming in 2018. Thankfully, I haven't been going mad in the sales either, so my PC backlog remains manageable. More PC gaming in 2019, maybe.

My (realistic) PC backlog:

Infra
Impact Winter
StarSector
They are Billions
NorthGard
Oxygen not included
Obra Dinn
American Truck Simulator
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I don’t tend to set these sorts of goals, stuff that comes out during the year usually shifts around what I play. But I do expect to get to the PS4 Spider-Man game at some point first quarter. Most of the rest of what I’ll play is going to be stuff from gamepass for a while yet though. (And Overwatch, still not bored of that yet)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

What you working on at the moment, Flabyo? Anything you can talk about?
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I want to buy less games and finish games in the pile of shame. I say that all the time though... Doesn't seem to work :D
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Alex79uk wrote: January 2nd, 2019, 2:54 pm What you working on at the moment, Flabyo? Anything you can talk about?
Not much that I suspect would interest anyone here, I’m working for a company exploring designs for the games portals on the chat platforms (iMessage, Facebook instant etc...)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh cool, I have a lot of those games going on in various chat groups with friends. Played an absolute ton of the basketball one on Facebook messenger!
fieldy

Post by fieldy »

Chopper wrote: January 2nd, 2019, 1:41 pm
fieldy wrote: December 31st, 2018, 9:46 pm So since I started loving Bloodborne so much in 2018 I'm going to try and beat all three souls games in 2019 - that along with Nioh and I think I have a pretty difficult year ahead in gaming terms 😉
If you happen to have a PS3 lying around, Demon's Souls could be added to that list ;)
well I read recently that From have two unannounced projects in the works I am hoping (No matter how slim the odds) That a demon souls remaster is one and the other is Bloodborne 2 😉
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

hazeredmist wrote: January 2nd, 2019, 2:58 pm I want to buy less games and finish games in the pile of shame. I say that all the time though... Doesn't seem to work :D
I successfully did this last year in the sense I bought very few “new” games. I think I only played one game released last year (Detroit) mainly out of fear of the plot being spoiled for me. Instead I spent a fortune on old games and consoles!!
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Realistically, I'm probably not going to finish every game in my collection any more than I could watch every movie ever made, or read every book, etc... so realistic goals...

1. I should manage to get my current arcade cabinet build done, within the first quarter (I hope). Probably won't start another build until at least the following year.

2. Actually put time aside for games. I have a weird guilt towards gaming, as if I was going to do something more noble with that time. It's a bit of a cultural hangover, having grown up around people who think that gaming is a waste of time. If you spend a day binge-watching Netflix: no one bats an eyelash. Spend two consecutive hours gaming: geez mate, do something more substantial! So that's an internal thing I'll have to work on.

3. I do like to play bigger games (RPG's, etc) mixed with with smaller games (shmups, etc), so that's worked well for me in the past year, mixing things up. I'll continue with that.

4. I think just come to terms with the fact that I don't have all the time in the world to play/do everything I want, and make some peace with that. Don't mean for that to sound dire! It's just that there is far more content than there is time, in regards to games, movies, shows, books, travel... everything really. And letting go of that strange fear of missing out, and the anxiety of not being a part of something... it's a pretty common feeling with a lot of people.

In a nutshell: learn to stop worrying and love the bomb.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

1. I need to spend more time enjoying stuff I like and less time agonizing about irreversible stuff I dislike. As I type this, I'm also acutely aware that I have three potential powder kegs on the horizon (RE2make, FE: Three Houses, Metroid Prime 4), and that it would be nothing short of a miracle if not at least one of them turned out to be another treacherous snake in the grass. We'll see.

2. When my PS+ runs out, I need to have the willpower not to renew it this time around. I can count on one hand the number of free PS+ titles I've actually downloaded, and the only multiplayer game I still play is Rocket League. Which I completely love, but don't have anyone to regularly play it with, and of course it is guilty of all the usual humanoid tropes. I waste too much time instinctively booting it up only to get hurt / frustrated because of whatever random antisocial goons I happen to run into. Dear RL, it's not you, it's them. Kiss and delete. Off the Vormir cliff you go.

3. I need to stop compulsively buying a load of discounted digital games only to give up on them after a few hours. The convenience of a digital storefront only exacerbates the problem, but at the end of the day, it's still me who is choosing the path of least resistance. It's trash consumerist behavior and I'm completely guilty of it. Enough. Commit or Bust.

4. Backlog. It's not funny. Shadow Hearts isn't gonna play itself. But it's the same point as the previous one, really. Choice paralysis is an absolute bastard.

5. I need to stop with the semimonthly "Vanquish PS4 when" googling already. Never gonna happen, just boot up the 360 version again. Grin and bear the 30fps.

6. If I'm gonna spend so much time replaying the same classics over and over again like a complete lunatic, I might as well look into formulating my thoughts on them in a more tangible and concise manner. Maybe a series of videos or perhaps a nice little blog like Nick has. This type of stuff always feels somewhat self-congratulatory to me and not particularly conductive to the passionate discussions I'm looking for, but it might not be such a bad idea for preservation purposes alone. I'll have to sleep on it.

7. Tetris Effect looks dope, but I'm too cheap to buy it for 40€. And yet, I seemingly don't have any issue with importing some dumb FE OST for 90+€, which is only going to sit in my cupboard afterwards. I need to make sense of how my brain works.

8. I'm long overdue for a month-long MGS series replay. There are very few works of fiction that can make me fall in (unconditional) love harder than MGS3 alone. And even MGS4, for all its faults...
Spoiler: show

THAT CINEMATOGRAPHY
...Just day-dreaming about diving head-first into this universe again makes me all giddy inside. Time to adjust that.

Oh and of course, Happy New Year everyone! :)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 3rd, 2019, 4:31 am 1. I need to spend more time enjoying stuff I like and less time agonizing about irreversible stuff I dislike. As I type this, I'm also acutely aware that I have three potential powder kegs on the horizon (RE2make, FE: Three Houses, Metroid Prime 4), and that it would be nothing short of a miracle if not at least one of them turned out to be another treacherous snake in the grass. We'll see.
One? Ever the optimist, I see!
Spoiler: show
I am joking! I don't know anything about these games. :D
KSubzero1000 wrote: January 3rd, 2019, 4:31 am 2. When my PS+ runs out, I need to have the willpower not to renew it this time around.
I thought about this at the start of Dec when my renewal came up. I don't play Madden any more and outside of that my online interactions are minimal. I decided to renew for another year due to some half-hearted idea that I would reduce my gaming budget this year by not buying as many games and giving the PS+ games a go. Given that I couldn't even find one game to buy in the Dec/Jan sales, that is a pipe dream.
KSubzero1000 wrote: January 3rd, 2019, 4:31 am 3. I need to stop compulsively buying a load of discounted digital games only to give up on them after a few hours.
I don't have this issue but something related, that I considered putting on my 'Goals' list. I tend to buy full priced (or first-sale price) games 'to support the devs', i.e. even if I know I won't play it immediately ('immediately' often means 'never'), as I like the idea of that game/underrepresented genre being on the platform - example, Divinity Original Sin 2 on PS4 - and want the developers to know there is a market. This is very foolish. I guess I am a 'whale' of sorts? Does anybody else have this issue?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 3rd, 2019, 4:31 am 8. I'm long overdue for a month-long MGS series replay. There are very few works of fiction that can make me fall in (unconditional) love harder than MGS3 alone. And even MGS4, for all its faults...
Funnily enough I was just thinking last night I want to replay 3 and PW this year, before diving fully in to 5.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Games I want to play/finish this year:

1. Resident Evil 2 Remake. Going to order the extra edition after seeing you can get the original ost in game with it.
2 Shenmue 3
3. Cyberpunk 2077
4. Metro Exodus
5. Gears 5

Games I have I am looking forward to getting stuck into

1. Assassins Creed Odyssey
2. Shadow Of The Tomb Raider
3. Telltale backlog of Batman Season 2 and the end of The Walking Dead
4. MGS V which I bought day one but still not played more than a hour of.

Resolutions:

1. Not renew my PS+ as I have not played online for donkeys and I have not had one ps+ game I have been interested in for a long time
2. Hit level 50 on Battlefield V (currently half way there)
3. Hit level 50 on Fallout 76 (currently 12!)
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I have a hard time keeping a "plan" for gaming, but I know I'll be playing the following this year *at some point*:

- AC Odyssey
- Vampyr
- Kingdom Hearts 3
- RE2make
- Metro Exodus
- Left Alive
- Final Fantasy VIII
- some big late 2019 release I'm inevitably forgetting