Games Completed 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: Games Completed 2019

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: March 10th, 2019, 12:32 am 10 Mar: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U)
Was this your first play-through ??
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It’s been ongoing since (before) launch day.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

ratsoalbion wrote: March 10th, 2019, 12:32 am
24 Jan: Florence (iOS)
03 Feb: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Switch)
03 Feb: NieR:Automata (PS4)
10 Mar: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U)
Mr Organised!Your ability to complete games in the nick of time is remarkable. It’s like you plan the podcasts around it ;)
countstex

Post by countstex »

Jan 6th: Tropico 3 [360][Not too bad to 100% when you put your mind to it]]
Jan 15th: Aven Colony [Fun space age city builder with a little story for good measure]
Jan 15th: CSI Hard Evidence [360][You know what you are getting with these]
Jan 20th: Murdered Soul Suspect [Great AA game, well worth a play]
Feb 20th: Microsoft Minesweeper [Bit of a cheat as the base game only have 4 achievements]
Mar 9th: The Gardens Between. [Charming little puzzle/adventure game]
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
25/01 - Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
31/01 - Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
01/02 - SOMA (Safe Mode)
09/02 - Shadow Warrior
18/02 - Mulaka
26/02 - NieR: Automata - 3C3C1D119440927 DLC
02/03 - Race Driver: GRID
04/03 - Bladed Fury
10/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Devil Hunter)

An absolutely fantastic comeback for the series which feels incredibly well polished and designed, while also bursting with content and variety. An instant classic that is sure to have a lasting impact on the genre for a long time to come. Combat is furious and fluid and incredibly satisfying. Deep and complex, but easy to get to grips with on a basic level in a way that this series does so well when it's firing on all cylinders.

Nero still feels as great as ever, but with new moves that naturally fit in to his move set from 4, and the addition of Breakers makes for some very imaginative mechanics. It is a little bit of a pain that you don't have complete control over what Breakers you happen to have access to at the time, but there's enough control there that it doesn't really become a problem. Perhaps that was a design choice to make players explore them more. There are a couple of little quality-of-life changes that really helps smooth out how he feels to play too, like being able to run while charging your sword. I've got a feeling it's going to be hard to go back to not having that replaying 4.

Dante's new weapons and moves are all great too, with an insane level of complexity that honestly I think is pushing things pretty much up to the limit of what a controller can reasonably handle. In the latter few chapters I actually chose to limit the number of weapons I was carrying because it was getting hard to just keep track of everything that you can do. There's a whole lot to dig in to there and I'm sure I'll still be learning things after many playthroughs, and all the combo crazy people on Youtube will have a lot to sink their teeth in to for years to come.

In the end I think I came to the conclusion that I don't really like playing as V that much however. He's not bad, and has some interesting ideas in how his mechanics re-contextualise the way this genre does things. But in the end I found it just wasn't that exciting. I did start getting the hang of how he plays to a competent level, but fighting with him still feels pretty passive and not that involving. I much prefer to actually be in the thick of it and have my commands result in something more immediate and tangible. After all, that is at the very base of why action games are fun in the first place. Hit button, things happen, very flashy fun time. Thankfully V doesn't overstay his welcome in the story, and you can choose to play as another character for a few of the missions he appears in, so you get a bit of choice with how much he shows up if you want as well.

Enemy design is pretty great too, with there being heaps of them that all have interesting behaviours. The visual design has a few really good stand-outs too. The Angelo enemies look fantastic and are a joy to battle, and there are a few demons that look truly grotesque and are inspired in how disgusting they are, with appropriately wild and contorting animations too. Bosses are brilliant, with many of them naturally being a masterclass on good boss design. They're great set pieces, that feel like a real duel where you're putting your skills up against another highly skilled fighter who can really keep you on your toes. There's loads of them too, and hardly any repetition, as is often the case with this series.

The big thing I was worried about with this game before it came out though was the aesthetic design. I've got used to it now, but I'm still not 100% sure I'm on board with it conceptually. As I mentioned before, most of the enemies look good, but the city environment does feel a bit uninspired. And I'm not particularly sure if the idea of making the characters themselves photorealistic was a good idea too. These characters have pretty absurd designs, and trying to pass them off as "real" kind of introduces a slight uncanny feeling about them. Although this did turn out to not be much of a problem in practice though, as the way characters move and act kind of makes up for it I think. Like Nero for example; when they first revealed this game I didn't like his look at all. Giving him a wide jaw and squinty little eyes changed his look in to something that felt really wrong at the time. But then actually seeing him act and emote through the story, and combined with his voice work, it all works out much better than I feared. The environment design also gets better through the game too, as you go deeper in to the demonic lair, you become surrounded by disgusting but colourful fleshy hellscapes that were pretty cool to look at, and felt like they fit the series aesthetic much more than just a nondescript fake London. The meticulous material and modelling work helps to give it that extra edge of grossness to it too that works really well.

There's one other little thing I wanted to talk about. It's only a really small thing in general, and it's primarily a mechanical thing, but I guess it counts as spoilers, sooo....
For a while I was kind of confused about whether Nero had a Devil Trigger in this game. Without it showing up in preview material, and Nero no longer having access to his demon arm or Yamato, it looked like he didn't have one. Yet there were unused buttons on the controller, and his battle theme is literally named after the mechanic. So that was pretty contradictory. And my confusion continued all the way up right to the end of the game. It still never shows up, until the last part of the game where he finally gets one. So it was sort of true and false that he didn't have one. You play the whole game without it, and get it for NG+ instead. It is very cool once you get it though.
So yeah, that was DMC5. After a decade of waiting, and also pretty much the entire time I've been a fan of the series, I finally got to experience it. Turned out to be completely brilliant and is a triumph of the genre, and feels totally uncompromised for once. And I was very happy to be proven wrong about my initial impressions of the game.

On to Son of Sparda mode!
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

27th Jan - Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (Switch)
1st Feb - New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (Switch)
9th Mar - Crackdown 3 (Xbox One X)

As you all know, Crackdown 3 is far from the game that was originally shown off, but that doesn't mean it's bad. If you enjoyed the first game all those years ago, it's more of that.

I played the game on the Xbox One X and to be honest, I can't really see much in the game that the consoles extra horsepower added to. It looks fine, but it's nothing special.

Worth a play if you can find a cheap Game Pass deal like I did, but please don't spend £40 on it.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

23/1/19 Baner Saga ios.
31/1/19 Life is Strange session 2 Episode 2
24/2/19 Marvals Spider-man
29/2/19 Mervals Spider-man The Hist DLC
3/3/19 Marvals Spider-man Turf war

11/3/19 Marvels Spider-man Silver lining

So here ends my time with Spider-man(unless I go back to find the last two secret photos & a load of crimes) My lasting impression on them is it nails the feeling of spider-man and I want a sequel soon
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January:
Tale of Tales Collection
Virginia
Gravity Rush 2
Nier Automata

Feb:
Wolfenstein 2
Prey (2006)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Aladdin SNES
Aladdin Mega Drive
Donkey Kong

March:
Donkey King Country
Pilotwings
Dino crisis
11th March:
Pony Island
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

So, Devil May Cry 5 with all S ranks aka "FI-NAL-LY someone made a proper action game again".

This game... is amazing. The best Capcom game since RE4/DMC3. It's also flawed in some ways. But mostly amazing.

Let's get the most important thing out of the way first: The moment-to-moment gameplay of this game is nothing short of spectacular. Nero controls like an absolute dream thanks to his balanced and refined moveset. The Devil Breakers add just the right amount of variety but always remain intuitive and enjoyable to use. I'm struggling to think of any ways in which he could be improved. V is a mixed bag, but a net positive overall. I certainly appreciate the developers trying something relatively new with the genre but he's a bit too passive for my tastes. Dante on the other hand is absolutely divine and I have to agree that he very much pushes the limits of the kind of input complexity that can be achieved with a controller. All of his weapons are fun and it's no surprise that most of the high-level youtubers are already going wild with him. My main gripe are the changes to some of his old moves which can mess with my muscle memory at times. But damn, that skill ceiling is truly awe-inspiring.

The enemy design / AI / variety is excellent as well, without any noticeable hiccups. I was also positively surprised at both the quantity and quality of the bosses. They have obviously taken the DMC4 criticism on board with this one, and I'm very, very glad they did. This game is a true joy to play.

There are a few negatives, however. First and foremost, the story was a bit of a letdown for me. It's really suffering from MGS4 syndrome in that it tries so hard to be the all-encompassing grand finale of the series that it doesn't really stand on its own merit. The basic plot rehashes a lot of the series' established tropes without their past context and some returning characters don't have any proper arc or even anything interesting to do or say. It's mostly fan-service, and not the good kind. Which is a shame because the cutscenes are very well produced and fun to watch in their own right. There are quite a few standout moments, but the whole thing is unfortunately nowhere near as tightly scripted and well-conceptualized as DMC3.

The OST is fine, although Devil Trigger is probably the best track and the rest struggle to reach the same heights. Thankfully there is the option to replace Dante's combat theme with some legacy tracks once you've paid the Deluxe tax. Gotta love this new scam Capcom keeps pulling.

Level design is a bit dull overall. Urban environments and underworld aesthetics get old fast, and the levels themselves also aren't particularly interesting to traverse. Although the series is primarily known for its combat, Mallet Island in DMC1 and even the Temen-ni-gru in 3 are great locales with beautiful gothic architectures and interesting layouts. 4 and now 5 feel like a step back in comparison. I think the RE engine is mostly to blame for this, considering how its trademark photo-realism isn't gonna mesh very well with this game's subject matter. The same can also be said for the character models, some of which simply don't look anything like their previous incarnations, which can be really jarring at times. On the positive side of things, the frame rate is buttery smooth and I haven't witnessed a single drop yet which is obviously really important for this type of game.

Anyway, I'm amazed that this game even exists in this form. I know I just gave it a hard time in the interest of level-headed criticism, but I do love it overall. In an age when so many developers, journalists, critics and private consumers all love to hold condescending speeches about video games "growing up" and having finally earned respectability once they wisely broke free of their "antiquated", "obsolete", "gamey", "aged" mechanical shackles, this game proudly commits to the same core premise that worked so well in the early 2000's. It doesn't read like an apology letter or even a brave attempt at recreating past sensations through the use of a watered-down, one-size-fits-all formula like the GoW reboot or RE2make. It cherishes its mechanical foundation filled to the brim with fascinating possibility spaces because it understands that it is something inherently wonderful and worthy of being preserved even if it means bucking a few trends. It's a celebration of the series and the genre. It looks DmC straight in the eye and says "No, you don't get it."

Is it juvenile in tone? Yes. Does it tell a heart-wrenching tale of a middle-aged murderer being sad in the woods and regaining his humanity through the innocence of youth? No. Is it "immersive"? Most definitely not. And that might understandably turn a lot of people off. But it knows its core audience by heart and fulfils its promise to be the best action game in years. I can't remember the last big budget heavily-marketed non-Nintendo AAA game that was so gloriously interactive, but this one's definitely a keeper. I have years of fun and replay value ahead of me.

...Wow.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Capcom have been on a bit of a good streak over the past six months, with DMC 5, Resident Evil 2 etc...

So the obvious question is: did someone higher up get visited by three ghosts one fateful night? And if so, could those three ghost perhaps visit other AAA publishers?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

They’ve moved all the people who make weird decisions onto the street fighter team I think.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: March 12th, 2019, 10:27 pm Capcom have been on a bit of a good streak over the past six months, with DMC 5, Resident Evil 2 etc...

So the obvious question is: did someone higher up get visited by three ghosts one fateful night? And if so, could those three ghost perhaps visit other AAA publishers?
Don't forget Monster Hunter World setting the world on fire last year and even Mega Man 11 doing alright in its own niche.

I think that someone higher up just had a long hard look at their back catalogue one day and said "Hey, how come we aren't making any money off of these anymore? Put Itsuno and some of the young'ns on it pronto." They even tested the waters with their stealth Onimusha re-release the sneaky bastards.

Here's hoping other publishers wise up as well. Just don't expect anything to come out of Konami and its severe case of terminal incompetence.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 12th, 2019, 11:09 pmHere's hoping other publishers wise up as well. Just don't expect anything to come out of Konami and its severe case of terminal incompetence.
Hey! Konami have made some brilliant pachinko machines! :D
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: March 12th, 2019, 11:37 pm Hey! Konami have made some brilliant pachinko machines! :D
...I hereby retract my previous statement! :D
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Konami are still a very profitable company, as far as their shareholders are concerned they’ve made the right decision getting out of video games.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Except that they’re just now ploughing a large investment into a new esports division apparently.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’m nervously awaiting the disastourus news that Konami are going to stop making the PES games.

That will honestly be a massive issue personally.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January:
Tale of Tales Collection
Virginia
Gravity Rush 2
Nier Automata

Feb:
Wolfenstein 2
Prey (2006)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Aladdin SNES
Aladdin Mega Drive
Donkey Kong

March:
Donkey King Country
Pilotwings
Dino crisis
Pony Island
13th March:
Ape Escape (all apes & true ending)

Lovely memories of this first time around and surpassed my expectations. I’ve been playing quite a few platformers and older games so nice to find one that still feels fresh. Plenty of good design decisions like a respawning extra life before tricky sections. Lots of fun if tricky to play without original hardware.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

25/01 - Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
31/01 - Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
01/02 - SOMA (Safe Mode)
09/02 - Shadow Warrior
18/02 - Mulaka
26/02 - NieR: Automata - 3C3C1D119440927 DLC
02/03 - Race Driver: GRID
04/03 - Bladed Fury
10/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Devil Hunter)
13/03 - AER: Memories of Old

Since the news that the studio who made this game was going out of business a few months ago, it has continued to stick in my mind. The fact that the name meant it always shows up at the top of my Steam library probably also has something to do with it. But either way, I felt like giving this another run through.

It's still a really fun, calming experience. Very serene and soothing, with a great soundscape and very satisfying flying mechanics. I also found the indoor sections less of a drag this time too. My first time through I spent quite a bit of time scouring those areas trying to explore every little nook and cranny for any optional secrets there may have been, only to find my efforts were an unfruitful waste of time. With the knowledge that there's nothing to see in there apart from the main objective, that makes going through them again much less of a slog.

There's also something about this game that gives a kind of... transcendental quality. It might be bordering on pretension to say it, but at the same time I think that's what the game is going for. It is about going on a pilgrimage after all. It creates this sense of awe and reverence to it with its environment and audio design that I really appreciate. The story and how it presents it adds to that too. Being a tale of the relationships between gods and humans, presented in a way that gives it a sense of deep time and profound consequences. The experience makes for a very nice palette cleanser too. Pretty much the polar opposite to DMC.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

13-3 WarioWare Gold (3DS)

Just the story mode and there is a lot to return to here. Tons of fun, as always and it's cool to see so many of the series weird and wacky microgames return in a variety of challenge frameworks.