Games Completed 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Re: Games Completed 2019

Post by James »

Spoiler: show
1st Jan - Virginia (Xbox One)
13th Jan - Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
27th Jan - Mortal Kombat (Vita)
3rd Feb - Mortal Kombat X (Xbox One)
18th Feb - Crackdown 3 (Xbox One)
12th Mar - Dark Souls 3: Ashes Of Ariandel (Xbox One)

Forgot to put Crackdown 3 on here. Blitzed that in a couple of days, thanks to Game Pass. And then forgot about it, apparently.

In preparing for the Dark Souls 3 recording (later this week), I remembered that I hadn't finished off the DLC. Went back in to Ashes of Ariandel and polished it off. Turns out I'm playing it on NG++, which has made for a fun time. :D

On to The Ringed City now. It does seem that there's an awful lot of series wrap up being done in these DLCs, very much in a way that the main game didn't manage (for me). Quite a shame. :|
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

14-3 Resident Evil 2002 - Chris (GC)

You know what, I think I actually never completed a playthrough with Chris. Certainly not on a higher difficulty, anyway. I did it passing the controller around with my buddy who's equally into these games.

Wesker told us we did a good job.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Super Mario RPG via my SNES Mini (I love my SNES Mini).
I'm really getting into the habit of playing a modern (ish) game and then a retro game and then repeat. It's helping cut through all those classics I missed.
Mario RPG is still a lot of fun, does a lot of things I think should be standard in JRPGs, like timed hits. But, there's a lot of humor that still cracked me up, and I found the final boss to be a challenge.
I consider my time with the N64 completed, but now I'm thinking I need to find a way to play Paper Mario sometime...
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

15-3 Kirby Super Star Ultra (NDS)

Completed all the main games in there. Quite enjoyable.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January:
Tale of Tales Collection
Virginia
Gravity Rush 2
Nier Automata

Feb:
Wolfenstein 2
Prey (2006)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Aladdin SNES
Aladdin Mega Drive
Donkey Kong

March:
Donkey King Country
Pilotwings
Dino crisis
Pony Island
Ape Escape
16th March:
Donkey Kong Country 2

I’ve seen the credits roll and I’m not going to try and get the true ending. I’m neither good enough nor enamoured with the game to the extent I would want to do that. A few nice touches here and there but otherwise much like the first entry.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Michiel K wrote: March 13th, 2019, 10:21 pm 13-3 WarioWare Gold (3DS)

Just the story mode and there is a lot to return to here. Tons of fun, as always and it's cool to see so many of the series weird and wacky microgames return in a variety of challenge frameworks.
If you/when you unlock all the items you unlock a neat little top trumps style game with the cards 8-) .
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Suits wrote: March 16th, 2019, 12:47 pm If you/when you unlock all the items you unlock a neat little top trumps style game with the cards 8-) .
Cool! I can see myself returning to this regularly.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: January 20th, 2019, 5:10 pmJAN - Super Mario Land (Nintendo Gameboy)
JAN - Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Megadrive on PS4)
FEB - Professor Layton & The Curious Village (Android)
FEB - Donkey Kong '94 (Nintendo Gameboy)
FEB - Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
FEB - Chuchel (Android)
FEB - Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
MAR - Spider-Man (PS4)

There's not much to say, really. I enjoyed it. Looks good, combat is fantastic, traversal a lot of fun, but story-wise and game design it doesn't do anything new. It really is a good game, I can't fault it, the open world just feels a bit dated. Still, I had a blast.

I think I'm going to play a few smaller games before heading back in to AAA territory now.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Jan 2 - War for the Overworld (PC)
Jan 13 - Pyre (PC)
Jan 16 - Heroes of Hammerwatch (PC)
Jan 17 - Mega Man 11 (Switch)
Jan 20 - ReThink | Evolved (PC)
Jan 20 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)
Jan 22 - Ruzar - The Life Stone (PC)
Jan 27 - After Death (PC)
Feb 6 - Vikings - Wolves of Midgard (PC)
Feb 21 - Loyalty and Blood: Viktor Origins (PC)

Feb 27 - Book of Demons (PC)
Mar 4 - Vaporum (PC)

A first person dungeon crawler that gets points for not being like every other one by being steampunk instead of fantasy. Sadly the last positive thing I have to say here. I've played several others in this genre on the hardest difficulties with little issue so started the same here. I was eventually forced to drop it down to easy to get through it. It is neat that all your skills have a wind up time so you can't just square dance everything to death with ease but the encounters you run into are poorly designed. Most of them end up locking the way behind you and have little space to move around. Getting cornered becomes a regular occurrence and on the hardest difficulty, things can drop you from full health to dead in only a few attacks. Even on normal things hurt quite a bit and healing is in limited supply.

The puzzles weren't anything fun, either. They were either very simple or very tedious, nothing in between. One has you find 12 books (which take up almost your entire inventory) in a level and put them in their proper place where figuring out where is the entire puzzle. There's an annoying box pushing puzzle. There's a teleporter maze where every room is identical. It just wasn't good. There's also a pit you need to fall into that is mandatory. Every other pit in the game instantly kills you and there is no clue that sets this one apart.

Mar 5 - Frost (Switch)

This got my interest for being a survival deck builder. Games like Dominion and Ascension are listed as inspirations. This all sounds good. Frost, though, misses what makes a deck builder work. There are absolutely no synergies here when that is the corner stone of the tabletop genre. The only thing you can hope for is getting cards for more card draw. Everything else are the resources you need to move forward in the blizzard before it catches you or idea cards that are situational, often becoming a dead card in your hand. This was a big disappointment.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: January 20th, 2019, 5:10 pmJAN - Super Mario Land (Nintendo Gameboy)
FEB - Chuchel (Android)
MAR - Spider-Man (PS4)
MAR - Florence (Android)

This is a very short (around half an hour) interactive story about a young woman and her first love. It's got a really nice soundtrack and nice artwork.

It's got a real melancholy feel about it, which I like. I find the subject fascinating. I can't put it in to words, but there is a feeling I get when thinking about past relationships, and this game absolutely nailed it. It's like a sense of regret and, well, melancholy, but that doesn't really describe it properly, but whatever that feeling is, this game provoked the exact same reaction from me.

It's a little expensive, £3 for literally half an hour with no replay value, and I'd have liked to have seen the relationship explored a little more, but I applaud anyone doing something different like this, and mobile is the perfect format. Would recommend.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

For those interested, I interviewed Florence’s composer here: https://caneandrinse.com/sound-of-play-183/
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh nice, thanks :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

FEB - Chuchel (Android)
MAR - Spider-Man (PS4)
MAR - Florence (Android)
MAR - Where On Google Earth Is Carmen Sandiego (Browser)

Well this is a fun little diversion. Visit Google Earth in your Web browser and you're given the opportunity to track the master thief across the world, gathering clues before flying to the next location. Only a few minutes of game here, but I enjoyed it!

More details here: https://www.pcgamer.com/you-can-hunt-fo ... right-now/
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Ha, fun! I have also completed it. :)

I really need to spend some time on Google Earth, it's pretty amazing.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

25/01 - Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
31/01 - Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
01/02 - SOMA (Safe Mode)
09/02 - Shadow Warrior
18/02 - Mulaka
26/02 - NieR: Automata - 3C3C1D119440927 DLC
02/03 - Race Driver: GRID
04/03 - Bladed Fury
10/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Devil Hunter)
13/03 - AER: Memories of Old
17/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Son of Sparda)

Still absolutely loving it. Really pleased with some of the stuff I managed in this run too. Some extremely satisfying boss fights and such. It's so much fun to be able to play as Nero with completely fleshed out mechanics too. For some reason I often find it harder to get to the highest style ranks with him compared to the other characters, but with that little extra layer in there that helps a lot to push things up a notch to make that SSS a bit more achievable. I also stuck with my method of limiting my weapon selection with Dante for this whole run too, and I think it worked out really well. I definitely felt like I could get a better grasp of things when I don't have so much to juggle. I'm still really unsure on what to think about V though. I keep going through phases of feeling like I'm getting the hang of him and can pull off some decent stuff, to then just feeling like I'm floundering about and don't have control over what I'm doing. I guess right now I'm a bit more positive on him, as I've worked out the trick to his directional attacks. But in his last mission they take away your familiars and you have to fight some bosses without all three of them, which is not particularly fun.

I found something rather curious about the final boss on this mode though. On Devil Hunter, the penultimate mission is actually the hardest boss, and the last one is way easier. It feels more like a victory lap to highlight a climax in the story, and a reward for beating the "real" final boss. But on Son of Sparda, even the final mission is very tough too. Not quite as hard as the one before, but it's definitely not given out as a freebie this time. One of the hardest in the game. It might have actually been harder than the previous mission if I hadn't remapped my controls to allow me to charge my gun with R2, so I still had my thumb free to dodge and stuff. It's a really good way of giving yourself an opening that does some decent damage. I'm not sure I'd even be able to get a hit in when the fight ramps up otherwise.

Not sure if I'll carry on the Dante Must Die. Not yet anyway. I'll give it a go at some point, but I expect I'll hit a wall and not be able to finish it, as it always the case with games like this. Until then though, I'm going to go back and do a Human run and find all the secrets I've missed before now.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Copkoa (PC)

This was ok; it's a game where you fly around an environment, gathering twigs for your nest, and listening to the conversations of the people on the ground, who are living in a totalitarian state. The game passes through the seasons, and through revolution. The conversations are reasonably well written, the voice acting is terrible and I'd imagine it is the developers/their friends. It's a pleasant enough experience but not a lot to it.

Shelter (PC)

I enjoyed this game where you try and ensure the survival of your badger cubs their journey to adulthood; it's a great example of a game transcending its limitations. The levels are short and linear corridors but they've managed to dress them up, and provide enough of a motive to get you emotionally invested, so as to successfully distract you from the bare bones nature of the game.

Wonderful little game, and short at under two hours.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

24 Jan: Florence (iOS)
03 Feb: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Switch)
03 Feb: NieR:Automata (PS4)
10 Mar: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U)
16 Mar: This War of Mine: The Little Ones (PS4)
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Jan 13: Marvel Spiderman
Jan 26: Gravity Rush Remastered
Mar 18: Ratchet and Clank (PS4)

Fun little title, weapons were fun to use and the levels were tightly designed. Felt weird having to level up my weapons before taking on the final boss. He was kicking my arse so I had to upgrade my weapons significantly to stand a chance. Odd to see in a platformer. Does make me want to check out the series more fully though. Just a solid platformer in general.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Jan 1 - Cat Quest
Jan 3 - Nex Machina (Arcade, experienced)
Jan 4 - Celeste
Jan 10 - Yoku's Island Express
Jan 13 - Evil Within 2
Jan 14 - Pilotwings
Jan 21 - Edith Finch
Jan 26 - Resident Evil 2 (Leon A)
Jan 27 - Resident Evil 2 (Claire A)
Jan 31 - Resident Evil 2 (Leon B)

Feb 11 - Firewatch

March 19 - Donkey Kong 64

Finishing DK64 for the second time (first being on launch) was quite the experience.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

dezm0nd wrote: March 19th, 2019, 8:43 pm Jan 1 - Cat Quest
Jan 3 - Nex Machina (Arcade, experienced)
Jan 4 - Celeste
Jan 10 - Yoku's Island Express
Jan 13 - Evil Within 2
Jan 14 - Pilotwings
Jan 21 - Edith Finch
Jan 26 - Resident Evil 2 (Leon A)
Jan 27 - Resident Evil 2 (Claire A)
Jan 31 - Resident Evil 2 (Leon B)

Feb 11 - Firewatch

March 19 - Donkey Kong 64

Finishing DK64 for the second time (first being on launch) was quite the experience.
A good experience?

I’m planning on tackling it for the first time.