Games Completed 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
rob25X

Re: Games Completed 2019

Post by rob25X »

A few recent completions on PS3:

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (+DLCs) - By far my least favourite NFS game of the 10 or so I've played through the years. Cop Hot Pursuits are a lot of fun but everything else is just annoying and broken. From the cheating A.I and pinball-like wall collisions to the most stupid lobby system ever created. 3/5

Hamsterball - A very funny (though often frustrating), easy to play but difficult to master high speed hamster-in-a-ball game. I've never played Monkeyball but I think it's the same thing but with guinea pigs instead of monkeys. I enjoyed it. 4/5

King's Quest Ep.1 - 4th time I've played through this game. A very good game in my opinion. I only wish the DLC was more affordable so I could play the other episodes and experience it fully. 4.5/5
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Starlink :Battle for Atlas - PS4.
(Jan) Far Cry 5 - PS4.
(Jan) Resident Evil 2(2019) - PS4.
(Jan) Shadow of the Tomb Raider - XB1X.
(Feb) Metro Exodus - XB1X.
(Mar) Marvel's Spiderman - PS4.
(Apr) The Division 2 - XB1X.
(Apr) Dead Rising 3 - XB1X.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

State of Decay 2 (PC)

It took me quite a while to figure out how to interact with the many interleaved systems here, but this eventually turned into a very enjoyable experience. I abandoned my first game after ten hours or so when I lost my doctor and the zombie hordes seemed insurmountable (I hadn't been clearing out infestations, which I think made the sheer amount of zombies on the map unmanageable); abandoned the second game quite quickly as I didn't like the map (there are three huge maps to choose from); and finally it all clicked on the third map.

Despite the huge amount of time I have spent with it, it has left me wanting more. I've started a NG+ with some characters carried over onto a different map at a harder difficulty. I'm sure I'll move on to something else fairly quickly but I'm enjoying it for now.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
25/01 - Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
31/01 - Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
01/02 - SOMA (Safe Mode)
09/02 - Shadow Warrior
18/02 - Mulaka
26/02 - NieR: Automata - 3C3C1D119440927 DLC
02/03 - Race Driver: GRID
04/03 - Bladed Fury
10/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Devil Hunter)
13/03 - AER: Memories of Old
17/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Son of Sparda)
20/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Human)
05/04 - God of War III Remastered
12/04 - Devil May Cry 5 (Dante Must Die)
14/04 - Journey
15/04 - ABZU
22/04 - Journey

Decided to go through this again to pick up a few more trophies. I missed the one for finding all the creatures in the desert, but I got everything else I was going for, including the one for finding all the symbols that gives you the white robes. Always wanted that. Didn't run across any other player in this run though, so it was a bit lonely. The multiplayer really does add a lot to this game. Which reminds me of something I forgot to mention last time. Aside from just having a companion on your journey, who can also help you find secrets, one neat thing I really like about this feature is how it basically lets you fly infinitely if you're in sync with the other person, sticking close and recharging each other's scarf power. It's really neat, and a fun an rewarding little bit of skill-based gameplay that naturally fits in to an otherwise very relaxed and undemanding experience.
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

KSubzero1000 wrote: April 14th, 2019, 1:35 pm Dangerous Driving (Platinum Trophy)

This is a decent game that didn't fulfill its potential as much as I would have wanted it to....

This was an interesting read.

I like the Burnout games very much but knew nothing about this game until it was released a week or two ago.

Gameplay looked very Burnout 2/3/Revenge from what I saw of it. Was it developed by half the Burnout team or something?

Maybe some patches will sort out the issues out you mentioned.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

23-4 Star Gladiator: Episode I - Final Crusade (PS1)

Never gave this game much time, so I did a complete arcade run with one of my favourite Marvel vs. Capcom 2 characters: Hayato.

The game is perhaps the most sluggish Capcom fighter I've ever played, with its 30 fps and slow-ass recovery on moves. The dial-a-combo system is sort of interesting and it has other fun ideas, but the unpunishable side step system is very disruptive and the AI loves to abuse it in the later fights. You get a sense that Namco had a look at this game and came up with a number of great fixes, when they were working on Soul Edge/Blade.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

This is very impressive, clippa. Congratulations.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Jan - Lego Marvel Avengers
Jan - Titanfall 2
Feb - Oxenfree
March - Gorogoa

April 18th - Resident Evil 2 Remake (XONE) - Leon A

Technically this is my wifes completion as it's on her Xbox account but the second Mr X appeared, the controller was thrust in my direction and I played through the majority (though not all ...) of the rest of the game.

I'm finding it hard to separate my nostalgia for the original from this. I like the game a lot and I can't quite tell if it's because it's actually a good game, or if I like the reinterpretation.

Definitely there are flaws - the soundtrack just isn't as interesting, though wife no 1 did correctly predict a licker attack from the change in music that I just flat out missed; the sound effects don't seem to work properly when on stereo speakers (hard to localise Mr X); Mr X in the Police Stations is WAY over used. He was scary the first couple of times but ended up just being annoying - though it was handled better in the NEST towards the end of the game. And it was a little predictable in a 'grab this item and oh look random zombie appears' way. I'm also not a fan of Leon's physical appearance in this - he seems a little more pouty than he'll grow to be in future episodes (which have already happened ...)

As most of these seem to be niggles, I'm going to take it as a good game done well. We've started on a Claire 2nd Run certainly, which I am enjoying, though I wish that some of the puzzles weren't repeated from Leon A. It seems a little lazy to have Claire do the exact same method as Leon to get past obstacles rather than actions in one affecting the other. In the original was the armoury choice - extra inventory space and a sub machine gun but either you took would mean it wasn't available for the other - but there doesn't seem to be anything like that in this.
Claire is just about to leave the orphanage so we'll see how that goes ...
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 16 - Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
Jan 20 - FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Jan 25 - Final Fantasy VIII (PSVita - PS1 Classic)
Jan 27 - Puzzle Bobble (Switch) (Difficulty Level 4 - One credit)
Feb 3 - Metal Slug 3 (PS4 - PS2 anthology version on Easy)
Feb 8 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Switch)(Vs Computer mode - Normal)
Feb 12 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Switch)(Puzzle mode - One credit)
Feb 20 - Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (3DS - DS cart)
Feb 21 - Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Switch) (World of Light)
Mar 3 - Ristar (JP version) (PC)
Mar 22 - Wargroove (Switch)
Mar 31 - River City Ransom (Switch - NES rom)
Apr 2 - Donkey Kong '94 (3DS - VC)
Apr 20 - Super Dodge Ball (Switch - NES rom)

Straight up murdering people on the dodgeball court! Seriously, they turn into spirits and float away.

Anyway, the first thing that struck me in this game is the excessive levels of sprite flickering. It's at maddening levels. Its a simple enough game but quite fun to play. One button passes and the other shoots at an opponent and catches incoming balls. The big thing is running up to the line and getting timing right for a super shot. Timing feels somewhat inconsistent here but I didn't worry too much about it.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Simonsloth wrote: April 1st, 2019, 8:44 pm
January:
Tale of Tales Collection
Virginia
Gravity Rush 2
Nier Automata

Feb:
Wolfenstein 2
Prey (2006)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Aladdin SNES
Aladdin Mega Drive
Donkey Kong

March:
Donkey King Country
Pilotwings
Dino crisis
Pony Island
Ape Escape
Donkey Kong country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Monkey Island 2

April:
DK 94
Inside (PS4)
Pony island
Shovel Knight plague of shadows
23/04
DK64

201 bananas, 101%.
I think I both love and hate this game.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

clippa wrote: April 23rd, 2019, 11:21 pm I love the huntress when I'm tired because you don't really have to worry about aiming all that much.
Such a great game! Nobody else playing it?
It's such a small community with fairly diverse tastes, and with there no longer being any need to jump on a game when it comes out, it's rare that people at playing the same games at the same time on here. There's the odd Triple A exception like God of War or the RE2 Remake.
A lot of people are complaining that it's repetitive but I like that and there's lots of different items and ways that they synergise and different characters that play differently like in the binding of isaac, it never gets old, or hasn't yet at least.
Off topic a bit but have you tried Slay the Spire yet?
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

rob25X wrote: April 22nd, 2019, 10:00 pm
Gameplay looked very Burnout 2/3/Revenge from what I saw of it. Was it developed by half the Burnout team or something?

Maybe some patches will sort out the issues out you mentioned.
It was made by a very small team that is partially made up of some of the creative leads behind the Burnout games since they left Criterion.

I've been playing it myself and even though I do like it for how it does replicate those old games in some ways, it's pretty hard to recommend. It is profoundly broken. I don't know if it's something a simple patch can fix. It feels like it was released at least half a year too soon. Then again, I have heard they have supported their old games really impressively post-release. So maybe they actually do plan to put in that extra time. But right now, you have to be excessively forgiving to get a decent level of fun out of it. The fun is there for sure, but you have to overlook a lot of stuff that it's not really reasonable to ask of the player.
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

Finished Resi 7 yesterday. I'd still call it a great game overall but it transitioned from genuinely good horror to enjoyably bad/cheesy horror by the end.

It's kind of a shame as I thought it was on track to being the greatest horror game I've ever played, alongside SH2, I still enjoyed it all so oh well, I guess.

The very end bit with Eveline was odd though, it was like they really couldn't decide whether to make her a sympathetic sad-case villain or just a horrible monster so instead they gave you some backstory about how she never had a real childhood or parental love, had her cry out "why does everybody hate me?" as you inject her, before screaming "DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL" as she transformed into the first boss in Altered Beast (ok that might be a reach but that's what it reminded me of lol).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm going to have to go back to the first game. I only ever beat it with two characters I think.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

clippa wrote: April 24th, 2019, 1:16 pm I need to jump back in at some point because I heard they've got a new character and even an extra level now.
Do you play it? What's the third character like?
The third character really switches it up from the previous two and requires a new playstyle again. He's a Frankenstein's monster cyborg made up of parts they found around the lab, and his cards are called things like Hello World and Gold-Plated Cables. A lot of fun to play, I can't remember anything much about my last run except that he absolutely destroyed the big donut lad and his mate.

Totally compulsive game, I played it non stop for a week or so.

There's now a final final level (or just a boss rush) that you unlock, but I was totally unaware of that at the time (mid Jan) - whether I just missed it or it wasn't in yet, I don't know.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Starlink :Battle for Atlas - PS4.
(Jan) Far Cry 5 - PS4.
(Jan) Resident Evil 2(2019) - PS4.
(Jan) Shadow of the Tomb Raider - XB1X.
(Feb) Metro Exodus - XB1X.
(Mar) Marvel's Spiderman - PS4.
(Apr) The Division 2 - XB1X.
(Apr) Dead Rising 3 - XB1X.
(Apr) World War Z - XB1X.
(Apr) Earthfall :Invasion - XB1X.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Is that the actual frame rate, or just because its a gif?
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Jan 2 - War for the Overworld (PC)
Jan 13 - Pyre (PC)
Jan 16 - Heroes of Hammerwatch (PC)
Jan 17 - Mega Man 11 (Switch)
Jan 20 - ReThink | Evolved (PC)
Jan 20 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)
Jan 22 - Ruzar - The Life Stone (PC)
Jan 27 - After Death (PC)
Feb 6 - Vikings - Wolves of Midgard (PC)
Feb 21 - Loyalty and Blood: Viktor Origins (PC)

Feb 27 - Book of Demons (PC)
Mar 4 - Vaporum (PC)
Mar 5 - Frost (Switch)
Mar 9 - DarkMaus (PC)
Mar 10 - Octopath Traveler (Switch)
Mar 31 - Final Fantasy X (PC)
Apr 5 - Treasure Adventure World (PC)
Apr 15 - Greedy Guns (PC)

An extremely basic metroidvania with only two things worth mentioning. To get new weapons, you need to buy them. To buy them you need to find them in the world. Weird choice that gives the only purpose to money in the game.

The other thing is it is very easy to fall into an unwinnable state. There is an area you need to fall down a cliff to get into and you can't get back up that way. The only way out is to continue on to fight the boss, also acting as the elevator. The huge problem is that nothing is stopping you from going back down that cliff and now that the boss is dead, there is no way out. The game also only has one save slot and autosaves every screen so if you go down there after the boss is dead, there is nothing you can do.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

MajorGamer, absolutely no offence intended but I’d love to hear your approach to selecting the games you play, as they often seem terrible :lol:

Are you purely operating on a backlog-based system, or do you just prefer exploring off the beaten path, with the ups and downs that come along with that approach? Genuinely curious.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

15/02 - Resident Evil 2 (PS4)
17/02 - Final Fantasy VIII (PS Vita)
18/02 - FAR: Lone Sails (PC)
14/04 - Final Fantasy IX (PS Vita)
28/04 - Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (PC)

First AC game I've completed since Black Flag. I really enjoyed overall. It's not as great a work as the games it took influence from, but it doesn't have any of the elements that made past AC games so frustrating or dull.