Games Completed 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Games Completed 2019

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Alex79uk wrote: September 15th, 2019, 10:07 am Actually the tactile nature of the puzzles really leant itself to touchscreen.
I can imagine. One thing I forgot to mention is that I would actually recommend people playing the PC, Switch or mobile version if they have the choice. The PS4 controller works just fine, but you can tell the game wasn't really designed around it.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: September 4th, 2019, 7:25 am 5th Jan - Rise of the Tomb Raider (XBO)
1st Feb - Doom (2016) (XBO)
20th Feb - Crackdown 3: Campaign (XBO)
25th Mar - Bound (PS4)
30th Mar - Shadow of the Tomb Raider (XBO)
29th April - Mortal Kombat 11 Story Mode (PS4)
17th May - Middle Earth: Shadow of War (XBO)
25th May - Wolfenstein 2 (XBO)
28th May - Tacoma (XBO)
12th July - Metro 2033 Redux (XBO)
23rd July - Timespinner (XBO)
30th July - Shadow Warrior 2 (XBO)
3rd Sep - Outcast: Second Contact (XBO)
15th Sep - Gears 5 (XBO)

Good, but not great. Some of the new gameplay additions I liked (Jack’s abilities make combat a lot more tactical and interesting), others not so much (the open world bits don’t really add much other than busy work).

Bonus points for picking up a plot thread that the original developers dropped several games ago.

A pretty solid 7 out of 10 for me.

I’ve dabbled in the multi player, but not feeling it at all. Feels no different from what they’ve done before, and that’s been left behind by more recent games.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
25/01 - Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
31/01 - Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
01/02 - SOMA (Safe Mode)
09/02 - Shadow Warrior
18/02 - Mulaka
26/02 - NieR: Automata - 3C3C1D119440927 DLC
02/03 - Race Driver: GRID
04/03 - Bladed Fury
10/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Devil Hunter)
13/03 - AER: Memories of Old
17/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Son of Sparda)
20/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Human)
05/04 - God of War III Remastered
12/04 - Devil May Cry 5 (Dante Must Die)
14/04 - Journey
15/04 - ABZU
22/04 - Journey
28/04 - Lost Planet: Extreme Condition - Colonies Edition
30/04 - Dangerous Driving
02/05 - Final Fantasy XV - Episode Gladiolus/Episode Prompto/Episode Ignis
12/05 - The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Enhanced Edition
21/05 - RiME
22/05 - Remember Me
20/06 - Bioshock
08/07 - Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 2
11/07 - Bioshock 2
25/07 - Inside
05/08 - Bioshock Infinite
14/08 - Eastshade
23/08 - Judgment
11/09 - Astral Chain (Pt Standard)
13/09 - Jettomero: Hero of the Universe
15/09 - Assault Spy (Normal/Asaru)

This is an indie character action game that I've been meaning to get around to for a while, so finally did. It's really fun and very well polished, with some great feeling mechanics that actually have a decent amount of depth to them. A lot of it feels shamelessly lifted from DMC (and Vergil in particular), but the game makes no attempt to hide it. It also manages to be really stylish and slick despite being set in empty blank office spaces. Level design is extremely basic too, as you literally just go through a string of rooms where you battle in each one. But there is a plot to thread things together, and it's actually really funny. It's extremely goofy and silly, and very self-aware in a lighthearted way. There's two playable characters as well, so I'll be doing another run with the other as well at some point.

It's kind of funny playing this right next to Astral Chain too. Despite being in the same subgenre they are polar opposites. While that is a big ambitious game that tries a lot of things and gets rather convoluted, this is a very small, and extremely spartan game with no frills that gets right to the point. No faffing about, just pretty much pure action that gets right in to the thick of it in seconds. The only break in that is a short and crappy stealth section in the latter parts of the game, but that can be overlooked. It's pretty refreshing in comparison.

If you're in to this sort of game and are starving for something more than just DMC or Platinum, then you really shouldn't let this fly under your radar. It's really worth checking out. Foxcade did a video talking about it where I think he explains it well.

Although to add to that, most of the technical problems he talks about seem to have been ironed out by now. It's not totally perfect, and the camera can still be a pain at times, but performance is good in general.

(Also I still really need to get around to Lucah at some point)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I've not finished many games this year but I did just get credits in Beat Sabre.

Very satisfying.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

dezm0nd wrote: September 16th, 2019, 2:26 pm I've not finished many games this year but I did just get credits in Beat Sabre.

Very satisfying.
I haven't played Sabre but I'm glad to hear you Beat the game!

*I have to go now. My planet needs me*
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

*golf clap*

:)
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Jan 2 - War for the Overworld (PC)
Jan 13 - Pyre (PC)
Jan 16 - Heroes of Hammerwatch (PC)
Jan 17 - Mega Man 11 (Switch)
Jan 20 - ReThink | Evolved (PC)
Jan 20 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)
Jan 22 - Ruzar - The Life Stone (PC)
Jan 27 - After Death (PC)
Feb 6 - Vikings - Wolves of Midgard (PC)
Feb 21 - Loyalty and Blood: Viktor Origins (PC)

Feb 27 - Book of Demons (PC)
Mar 4 - Vaporum (PC)
Mar 5 - Frost (Switch)
Mar 9 - DarkMaus (PC)
Mar 10 - Octopath Traveler (Switch)
Mar 31 - Final Fantasy X (PC)
Apr 5 - Treasure Adventure World (PC)
Apr 15 - Greedy Guns (PC)
Apr 23 - ChromaGun (PC)
Apr 27 - The Quest (PC)

May 1 - Skautfold: Usurper (PC)
May 7 - Alwa's Awakening (PC)
May 9 - OneShot (PC)
May 13 - Darkest Dungeon: Ancestral Edition (Switch)
May 27 - Warhammer: Vermintide 2 (PC)
May 29 - Styx: Shards of Darkness (PC)
Jun 5 - The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians (PC)
Jun 5 - Monster Boy and The Cursed Kingdom (Switch)
Jun 11 - Yoku's Island Express (Switch)
Jun 17 - LISA (PC)

Jun 18 - Heroes of the Monkey Tavern (PC)
Jun 24 - Halcyon 6 (PC)
Jun 29 - Fox n Forests (PC)
Jul 4 - Battle Princess Madelyn (Switch)
Jul 14 - Dustforce (PC)
Jul 26 - Ambition of the Slimes (Switch)
July 29 - Final Fantasy X-2 (PC)
July 31 - Epistory - Typing Chronicles (PC)
Aug 2 - Moonlighter (Switch)
Aug 6 - Seasons After Fall (PC)

Aug 10 - Bayonetta 2 (Switch)
Aug 12 - ReThink | Evolved 2 (PC)
Aug 21 - Shadows: Awakening (PC)
Aug 24 - Singularity (PC)
Aug 26 - Typoman (PC)
Sep 4 - Mercenaries Saga: Will of the White Lions (Switch)
Sep 4 - The Surge (PC)
Sep 6 - Rise & Shine (PC)
Sep 14 - The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)

One of the few Zelda games I didn't play and I have good news for Twilight Princess, it is no longer my least favorite Zelda game. This one controls entirely with the stylus (well, almost, you can shortcut use items with L/R instead of pressing the icon) and that decision is the start of all its problems. Using the stylus means your hand is going to cover the screen part of the time. Being an action game, this means your hand is going to, at times, cover enemies which will lead to you taking damage. There were also times where I'd press an enemy to attack them and nothing would happen, causing me to take damage. At least the game is still easy so it didn't lead game overs. A constant thought in my mind while playing this is that it would be so much simpler if I could just push the buttons to do the things instead of using the stylus. The only times I found the use of the stylus helpful are with the boomerang and bombchus because you draw the path they follow, giving you greater control of them than with traditional controls.

Off the top of my head, this is first Zelda game beyond the first one where rupees aren't thrown at you, letting you buy everything and sit at the max for most of the game. However, they went way overboard with that here. You have things regularly cost thousands of rupees, some going over 5000. The only way to get everything is to grind a ton.

From other readings, The Temple of the Ocean King seems to be the most complained aspect of the game and yet I found it fine. It was nice regularly going in, using the new shortcuts, and cut down the time it took to get through it to the next goal. The time they give you is extremely generous. I never went below half of what they give so not entirely sure where all the complaints were coming from for here. The sailing from Wind Waker is back here but it is considerably condensed so it isn't as much of a black mark here as it is on that one.

Ultimately, it feels like Nintendo had a mindset of "Can we do this?" when making this game when they never asked themselves "Should we do this?" My answer to that second one for most things in Phantom Hourglass is a resounding "no."
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Jan - Lego Marvel Avengers
Jan - Titanfall 2
Feb - Oxenfree
March - Gorogoa
April - Resident Evil 2 Remake - Leon A + Claire 2nd Run + Runaway
April - Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 - story
April - holedown
June - Abzú
July - Gears Of War 4 (story)
July - The Gardens Below - 100%
July - Old Mans Journey (100%)
17th September - Gears of War 5 (story) - Xbox One

Thanks to Game Pass, I've had this one for a couple of weeks and I've been steadily working my way through it an hour or two a night. The following is solely about the single player.

Pro's
The Coalition have been able to build upon the existing foundations - this is a much more ambitious title in the series than the lacklustre Gears 4.
There are two large semi open world area's bookended by the more traditional linear corridor shooter levels and I enjoyed both those open world area's. The skiff is fun to drive most of the time and it's nice to see part of Sera that isn't just ruined urban civilisation like (so!) much of the rest of the series. There was also a real attempt to build on the lore already established in this universe and start to answer some of the questions that have been raised previously then just not touched.
The voice acting is great and the sounds are suitably visceral

And though I haven't tried it, I like that Jack has a different ability set to the standard Gears character. I can see that adding to the already impressive range of accessibility options and allowing co-op play (couch or online!) for someone who may be interested in the franchise but struggles with the controls, or wants to play with friends of a much higher skill level

Con's
The voice acting may be great but the characters are not. Newcomer Fahz and the returning Jinn are as one-dimensional as you like, previous lead JD goes off on some bizarre out of character arc for the second act and when the support robot begins to show more character than some of the series previous stars ...
There are a couple of random difficulty spikes - the end boss of Act 2 and partway through Act 4 - I think it's telling when the final campaign complete achievement is still rare when the rest of the story missions aren't.

And then there are the bits where the game is just a little broken. For that same Act 2 boss, the several times I saw the introductory cutscene, the boss themselves was not in it (despite actions taking place that suggested they were) but was instead wandering around the map waiting. Another stage boss in Act 4; meant to be an approaching danger; instead started next to me and slowly stepped away until it got caught on scenery when I was able to wear them down with a handy turret. However as that wasn't the scripted 'death' for that boss the next cutscene wasn't triggered and I had to reload the previous checkpoint in order to progress. There was a little slowdown once or twice and not at the busiest parts

The AI is dumb, particularly that of your team mates. More than once, I'm sneaking through a section that starts with attempts to stealth kill enemies and I'm watching a team mates roadie run around whilst the enemy has the courtesy to pretend not to see them running immediately beside them. And they don't like to revive you ... even while standing next to you

Finally, whilst I don't mind adding more collectables so I can gain upgradable tactical skills (and the game does what it can to assist with collectables shown in order in the menu and totals visible on mission select and map screens); what it means in game is that I'm constantly looking away from the main focus to look for things to pick up and not properly participating. I'm not certain what could be done about that - possibly make all the passive upgrades happen as you use the skill rather than looking for components and only have to search for particular mods? I dunno.

I quite like what the Coalition are doing with Gears; I like the slightly more open world area's and the branching storyline has me intrigued how this will be handed in the next game - there is definitely some respect for the franchise shown. It feels a little rushed however and it is not really a game for a solo player. There are a lot of area's that the devs need to address in the next game - game breaking bugs should not get into final release product

tl;dr
better than Gears 4 by a margin but has some technical issues that may cause frustration when playing
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The low completion percentage on the campaign complete achievement was because a lot of the game progress ones were bugged in the initial launch week, and not everyone has gone back to get them to actually pop now they’ve fixed them.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Flabyo wrote: September 18th, 2019, 9:30 am The low completion percentage on the campaign complete achievement was because a lot of the game progress ones were bugged in the initial launch week, and not everyone has gone back to get them to actually pop now they’ve fixed them.
Fair enough, thanks for the info. For me, I still found a sharp increase in difficulty during that act.

And my point on bugs stands ;-)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think I hit one bug where a mission objective didn’t complete and I had to reload the checkpoint.

But yeah, the second act boss is an act of horrid game design in an otherwise good game,
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
Resident Evil 2
God of War
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Prey
Persona 5
Tetris Effect
Journey
Red Dead Redemption 2
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Mega Man 11
Metal Gear: Survive
Undertale
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Dante's Inferno
Super Castlevania IV
Castlevania
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Metal Slug X
Inside
Phantasy Star
Doki Doki Literature Club
Captain Commando
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Final Fight
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
Knights of the Round
The King of Dragons
Warriors of Fate
Armored Warriors
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

25/01 - Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
31/01 - Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
01/02 - SOMA (Safe Mode)
09/02 - Shadow Warrior
18/02 - Mulaka
26/02 - NieR: Automata - 3C3C1D119440927 DLC
02/03 - Race Driver: GRID
04/03 - Bladed Fury
10/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Devil Hunter)
13/03 - AER: Memories of Old
17/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Son of Sparda)
20/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Human)
05/04 - God of War III Remastered
12/04 - Devil May Cry 5 (Dante Must Die)
14/04 - Journey
15/04 - ABZU
22/04 - Journey
28/04 - Lost Planet: Extreme Condition - Colonies Edition
30/04 - Dangerous Driving
02/05 - Final Fantasy XV - Episode Gladiolus/Episode Prompto/Episode Ignis
12/05 - The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Enhanced Edition
21/05 - RiME
22/05 - Remember Me
20/06 - Bioshock
08/07 - Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 2
11/07 - Bioshock 2
25/07 - Inside
05/08 - Bioshock Infinite
14/08 - Eastshade
23/08 - Judgment
11/09 - Astral Chain (Pt Standard)
13/09 - Jettomero: Hero of the Universe
15/09 - Assault Spy (Normal/Asaru)
19/09 - Prey (2006)

I'll try not to retread stuff I said here but my opinions haven't changed too much. I enjoyed it a fair bit, but it definitely shows its age a whole lot. It feels rather rudimentary in its combat mechanics, but they are still pretty fun. Despite being set in quite narrow corridors for most of it, it still felt like there was enough room to move about and dodge fire, and some of the bosses were pretty entertaining. I thought it was rather funny that halfway through there's a boss that feels like a very early prototype of the Cyber Demon from Very Doom. The ability to walk on walls and all the gravity/perspective shifting never got old and helped give this game a sense of novelty even today. The portal mechanic didn't really live up to its potential though, and it felt like it got sidelined a bit as the game went on. Both ideas felt like they could have been explored much more.

One thing that I will say somewhat changed from my earlier impressions was the sense of atmosphere through sound design. The rest of the game isn't nearly as strong as that opening. While it's still fine, it doesn't feel as inspired or as rich as the moments with the background music. While it does maintain a pretty cool visual style with its disgusting alien creatures and Giger-esque body horror, the sound design feels kind of straightforward and a bit flat. While it's probably a good thing that they didn't lean too hard on the classic rock and overdo it when it didn't make sense, there wasn't much to make up for it. The occasional radio interviews you overhear are a nice touch though, giving a sense of what's happening outside your perspective. And there's a funny little reference to how this game was stuck in development hell for so long too.

On the story front, can't say it was particularly impressive, although it did attempt to go places that were somewhat admirable. It was trying. But much like with the technical aspects, it feels very much of its time. Narrative expertise in games has come a long way since this game came out. While there may have been exceptional stories back then too (like I mentioned in my other post, The Darkness came out around the same time and did some really impressive stuff on this front) the merely average game story of today feels far better constructed and delivered than this does. A lot of it feels like it simply wouldn't be in a game from today. Leaning heavily on the damsel in distress trope, using Native American themes as fantastical mysticism in a way that doesn't feel like it's coming from someone who actually knows about those cultures first-hand, and really simplistic and shallow characters. But it did touch on some interesting ideas near the end, as they reveal more of the nature of The Sphere, how the invading aliens work and what their plan is, and I do kind of like the idea of a Native American hero in a sci-fi story, that also isn't afraid to touch on some of the inequality issues their cultures face. But it would need to be done with proper care. I wouldn't know the first thing about how to do that, but I feel like there's potential there. Oh, and the twist they pull near the end with the main character's girlfriend is kind of gross and tasteless. Feels like it's just there for shock value, and comes off as a bit crass.

So yeah, I liked it. It was a good game, but not great. But one that felt like it had the potential to be, which makes the cancellation of the sequel all the more depressing. Although that looked like it was going in a somewhat different direction, albeit also a potentially very good one. And simply because I couldn't fit it anywhere else naturally, the frame rate (of the console version at least) is pretty awful. It's still playable, but it's far from smooth and is sometimes tricky to see what's going on. Another sign of its age and place in time, being an early 360 game. Before devs worked out how to properly optimise for the platform. It even runs pretty badly on the Xbox One, which I played it on. The game doesn't allow you to record clips and such either, which I suspect is because it's trying to get hold of every last piece of processing power it can in its struggle to render itself.

Now I can finally listen to the podcast!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This looks right up my street. Wonder if there is a planned console release.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I do have a laptop, just don't really like playing games on it. Its got a HDMI port though, so if I can connect it to the TV and play with a pad that should be okay. Been getting loads of stuff from the Epic Games Store too, so really ought to explore that option.

Oh cool also, definitely interested in that Paper RPG mentioned.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

15/02 - Resident Evil 2 (PS4)
17/02 - Final Fantasy VIII (PS Vita)
18/02 - FAR: Lone Sails (PC)
14/04 - Final Fantasy IX (PS Vita)
28/04 - Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (PC)
09/05 - Devil May Cry 5 (PC)
11/05 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PC)
26/05 - Observation (PC)
04/06 - Katana Zero (Switch)
29/06 - Dino Crisis (PS3)
13/07 - Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (PS4)
31/07 - Outer Wilds (PC)
08/08 - Gato Roboto (Switch)
13/08 - DOOM II: Hell on Earth (PC - BFG Edition version)
14/08 - Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Edelgard's campaign (Switch)
07/09 - The Evil Within 2 (PC)
21/09 - Control (PC)

Really enjoyed this over all, but I think it's a few tweaks away from greatness. Honestly, it suffers from a lot of the same problems I had with Alan Wake. Both games have such rich aesthetics and I wish Remedy had the confidence to just let you enjoy that side of it. I'd be more than happy to have an 30 minute to hour long stretch of Control that was just exploration. The writing and art direction is strong enough to support that. This is a mean word, but it's the most fitting I could find. Sometimes the combat encounters in this game feel insecure. Like you'll be wandering around a previously cleared area for a little while, and it's like the devs go "Shit! They're gonna get bored! Quick! Just spawn in some enemies!" I wasn't bored, I was engrossed and by spawning in those random enemies you replaced that valuable feeling with mild irritation. Chill out Remedy, I'm digging what you're doing. The combat is really fun and I think I would have felt more fondly towards it if there was less of it. Gonna wrap up the side content now.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

15/02 - Resident Evil 2 (PS4)
17/02 - Final Fantasy VIII (PS Vita)
18/02 - FAR: Lone Sails (PC)
14/04 - Final Fantasy IX (PS Vita)
28/04 - Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (PC)
09/05 - Devil May Cry 5 (PC)
11/05 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PC)
26/05 - Observation (PC)
04/06 - Katana Zero (Switch)
29/06 - Dino Crisis (PS3)
13/07 - Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (PS4)
31/07 - Outer Wilds (PC)
08/08 - Gato Roboto (Switch)
13/08 - DOOM II: Hell on Earth (PC - BFG Edition version)
14/08 - Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Edelgard's campaign (Switch)
07/09 - The Evil Within 2 (PC)
21/09 - Control (PC)
21/09 - Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch)

Short, but very sweet. Highly recommended for those after Rez style sensory experience.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I also played through this in one sitting. It’s very clearly also designed as a score attack game as well as a one and done (if you want it to be).

Also the Trophies are done in an interesting way; rather than being given any for progress, there are clues to be solved to try stuff out.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Life Is Strange 2 Episodes 3 and 4

Not as incredible as the first two but good none the less. Care about the 2 brothers as much as I did Clementine back in The Walking Dead.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I guess I beat Dead Cells today? It was my thirteenth run. I guess the rest of the game is just completing areas or collecting things I haven't yet?