Games Completed 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
MajorGamer

Re: Games Completed 2019

Post by MajorGamer »

Spoiler: show
Jan 2 - War for the Overworld (PC)
Jan 13 - Pyre (PC)
Jan 16 - Heroes of Hammerwatch (PC)
Jan 17 - Mega Man 11 (Switch)
Jan 20 - ReThink | Evolved (PC)
Jan 20 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)
Jan 22 - Ruzar - The Life Stone (PC)
Jan 27 - After Death (PC)
Feb 6 - Vikings - Wolves of Midgard (PC)
Feb 21 - Loyalty and Blood: Viktor Origins (PC)

Feb 27 - Book of Demons (PC)
Mar 4 - Vaporum (PC)
Mar 5 - Frost (Switch)
Mar 9 - DarkMaus (PC)
Mar 10 - Octopath Traveler (Switch)
Mar 31 - Final Fantasy X (PC)
Apr 5 - Treasure Adventure World (PC)
Apr 15 - Greedy Guns (PC)
Apr 23 - ChromaGun (PC)

A first person puzzle game revolving around colors. You have a gun that lets you paint things yellow, red, and blue (the combine appropriately). Objects will be attracted to walls of the same color and that is what you use to get things where they need to be. Unfortunately, that is the entire game. Things don't really get complex and it tries to have an announcer that is humorous/deadly (hi GLaDOS) but falls flat in the regard. It is fine but nothing really noteworthy.

Apr 27 - The Quest (PC)

This is a first person grid-based fantasy RPG that is every bit as generic as the name of the game. You can go for ranged, melee, or spells and things are poorly balanced. Ranged is just terrible, doing pitiful damage. Melee is fine. Spells rip things to shreds and even hit all enemies in the same square. Mana isn't an issue since you get an abundance of gold and shops have an infinite supply of potions. As for "the quest", it takes about 90% of the game to actually get to it because you are dropped off on the island on the opposite end of where it starts. There is a good/evil alignment meter but it is largely worthless when you can bribe guards for pitiful amounts of gold. The only real affect is a single weapon requires being good and a single weapon requires being evil.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Adding my April completions to the list...
1 Jan: Lego Marvel Super Heroes (PS4)
12 Jan: LittleBigPlanet 3 (PS4)
27 Jan: Raging Justice (Switch)
7 Feb: Mega Man 4 (Switch)
7 Mar: Trials Fusion (PS4)
15 Mar: Cursed Castilla EX (Switch)
22 Mar: The Witness (PS4)
27 Mar: Call of Duty - Modern Warfare Remastered (PS4)
19 Apr: Resident Evil Remastered (PS4)
20 Apr: Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES / Switch)
25 Apr: Moonlighter (Switch)
26 Apr: Sega Ages Out Run (Switch)
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

ColinAlonso wrote: May 2nd, 2019, 10:37 pm

May 2 - Aladdin SNES (PC emulation)

I have some memories of the MD version but never played this. I got the hang of Al flipping and bouncing off enemies and bouncing and swinging off parts of the level quickly enough (it takes a bit of work at the start though). The game is fairly easy. Its graphics are pretty enough but unspectacular. The music takes two songs from the movie (Friend Like Me and Whole New World, that I remember anyway) and had one other stand out track to me, mostly because I think it sounds like an early Final Fantasy (3-5) dungeon theme.
I gotta know, was the Final Fantasy-like track the Cave of Wonders music? Because that's what I thought as a teen!
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Indeed it is. :D
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

ColinAlonso wrote: May 3rd, 2019, 8:51 pm Indeed it is. :D
I think at the time I was comparing it to FFVI, since that had been the only one I had played. But, you're absolutely right, it fits more closely with 4 or 5 for sure.

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: January 20th, 2019, 5:10 pmJAN - Super Mario Land (Nintendo Gameboy)
JAN - Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Megadrive on PS4)
FEB - Professor Layton & The Curious Village (Android)
FEB - Donkey Kong '94 (Nintendo Gameboy)
FEB - Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
FEB - Chuchel (Android)
FEB - Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
MAR - Spider-Man (PS4)
MAR - Florence (Android)
MAR - Where On Google Earth Is Carmen Sandiego (Browser)
MAR - Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (PS4)
MAR - Final Fantasy X (PS Vita)
MAY - Söldner-X 2 (PS Vita)

Fun to play, but rather easy since I cleared the game on one credit on my first go (on the default difficulty). I suspect that much like many other shmups, however, it's more built for high score chasing than the challenge.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Jan 13: Marvel Spiderman
Jan 26: Gravity Rush Remastered
Mar 18: Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
Mar 30: Thomas was Alone
May 4: Furi

A weird one for me, this. I am saving my thoughts for the Cane & Rinse episode but to quickly sum up:started out loving it, then resented it, changed difficulty so got to the end but then felt completely hollow.

May 5: Banjo Kazooie: Grunty’s Revenge

Got 100% of all the collectibles and had reached final boss then forgot about it due to life stuff so finally went back and picked it up today and truly finished it. Definitely easier final boss than the N64 titles! It was nice playing a new (to me) Banjo game in 2019 and it definitely had a lot of the charm and humour the series is known for. The one big change that I did particularly like was that you get to use multiple Mumbo transformations in one level in order to obtain Jiggies which made them feel a little bit more useful throughout the adventure overall. If Banjo-Threeie were to ever happen it is a mechanic that I would not mind seen being revived for the series. But overall it is not the most challenging game and I did everything in just over 7 hours but if you like Rare and isometric platforming, I would say it is worth picking up. Would also recommend to fans of the original game who were put off by Tooie’s size and complexity. Grunty’s Revenge is like a neat pocket version of the original in many aspects but simplified even further. The dev team did an admirable job of bringing the bear and bird over to handheld.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

5-5 Dance of Death: Du Lac & Fey (PC)

Review coming to the Cane and Rinse dot com front page very soon!
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 16 - Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
Jan 20 - FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Jan 25 - Final Fantasy VIII (PSVita - PS1 Classic)
Jan 27 - Puzzle Bobble (Switch) (Difficulty Level 4 - One credit)
Feb 3 - Metal Slug 3 (PS4 - PS2 anthology version on Easy)
Feb 8 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Switch)(Vs Computer mode - Normal)
Feb 12 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Switch)(Puzzle mode - One credit)
Feb 20 - Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (3DS - DS cart)
Feb 21 - Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Switch) (World of Light)
Mar 3 - Ristar (JP version) (PC)
Mar 22 - Wargroove (Switch)
Mar 31 - River City Ransom (Switch - NES rom)
Apr 2 - Donkey Kong '94 (3DS - VC)
Apr 20 - Super Dodge Ball (Switch - NES rom)
Apr 28 - Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
May 2 - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch)
May 2 - Aladdin SNES (PC emulation)
May 6 - Aladdin Mega Drive (PC Emulator)

"He's got a sword! You idiots, we've all got swords!"

Graphically the background takes a hit on the SNES version, but the sprites are fantastic. Al is the standout. His design and animations are so smooth. The movement of his vest (waistcoat thingy?) as it billows a little behind him, the movement of his baggy trousers, his idle animation where he leans of his sword then rolls the apple down his arm (a move taken straight from the film) are all wonderful touches. Even the way his hair bounces when he moves is great.

It converts five songs (Whole New World, Friend Like Me, One Jump, Prince Ali and Arabian Nights) and uses them for about half the soundtrack. Oddly Prince Ali is used for the first level. The original game music didn't stand out to me as anything special.

Settings are pretty much all from the film. There's a daytime desert level, which I suppose, apart from the oasis scene, doesn't happen in the film but its not a big leap.

Now, I went into this game concerned that in 2019, it might play like Crazy Hakim's discount fertilizer, and sure, hit detection could be better and some of the sword combat is a bit of a lottery but the jump is fairly solid so it was still ok to play. Decent game all round.

Ok, I tactically used two savestates. One before the escape level as there are a few tricky jumps near the end. And the second just before the final boss as he is harder if you do not have a decent amount of apples to hand.
delb2k

Post by delb2k »

delb2k wrote: April 4th, 2019, 4:28 pm Jan:

Moss - PSVR
Bound - PS4
The Force Unleashed - Xbox 360 (Back Compat)
Yakuza Kiwami - PS4

Feb:

Resident Evil 2 - Leon A - PS1
Resident Evil 2 Remake - Leon A - X1
Resident Evil 2 Remake - Claire B - XB1
Bury Me My Love - Switch
Yoku Island Express - XB1
Crackdown 3 - XB1
Abzu - XB1

Mar:

>Observer - XB1
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - XB1
Hellblade - Senua Sacrifice - XB1
Tearaway Unfolded - PS4
As usual another small little burst of games finished, I am going at a fair clip this year which is a sure sign I am poor and having to save up!

Ace Apollo - 3DS

I have always loved the Ace Attorney series and this had been on my half finished list for far far too long. Finally finished it and it felt really good, I still love what Capcom do with the characters, the interplay and the uild up. Despite a slightly weird McGuffin at the end I honestly enjoyed it all and will start the more recent editions later in the year.

Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS

Came as part of the Azure Mighty Gunvolt package I managed to run through the 8-bit prequel in a few hours. It is basically a mega man spin off but something that was really good for a bite size half hour attempt and boss battle. It also is not quite as punishing as I suspect mega man is as well. Really enjoyed it a lot, and was a nice surprise considering that I initially played it as a little throwaway thing.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel - XBONE

After the release of the new assests and the X enhancements I jumped in as this was the one I had never finished. It still has the same humour, and the gunplay is fantastic when you find one that you click with. I ended up with an excellent little revolver and AR combo that devastated whole armies of enamies. Plus it is just nice to hear aussie voices in a game, not something you hear a lot.

Broken Age - XBONE

The first half of this I really enjoyed, puzzles were about my level and I came out of it feeling smart enough. The second part however, that was a bit less fun. It had a few incredibly obscure puzzles and the hints were so badly written that I had to consult a guide which was jsut disappointing in the end really.
James

Post by James »

1st Jan - Virginia (Xbox One)
13th Jan - Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
27th Jan - Mortal Kombat (Vita)
3rd Feb - Mortal Kombat X (Xbox One)
18th Feb - Crackdown 3 (Xbox One)
12th Mar - Dark Souls 3: Ashes Of Ariandel (Xbox One)
17th Mar - Dark Souls 3: The Ringed City (Xbox One)
6th May - Guildmaster Story (iOS)

The Ringed City continued to leave me feeling that, had it been in the main game, it would have vastly improved my enjoyment of Dark Souls 3's story. Gael's personal journey casts a pretty big shadow over the anti-climax that I found the Soul Of Cinder to be.

I'm still slowly working through Sekiro, so haven't been playing much else. I've still got time for a mobile game or two though, and Guildmaster Story fit the bill nicely. A match 3 game from the developer of Actual Sunlight is exactly as funny and sharp as it sounds.

I don't know if it's technically possible to finish this, as more levels are still to come. But, I've done all 70 levels that are currently available, so I'm counting it. :mrgreen:
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

15/02 - Resident Evil 2 (PS4)
17/02 - Final Fantasy VIII (PS Vita)
18/02 - FAR: Lone Sails (PC)
14/04 - Final Fantasy IX (PS Vita)
28/04 - Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (PC)
09/05 - Devil May Cry 5 (PC)

My favourite in the series in terms of pure combat design, but the level design was pretty middling. Probably a game I'll appreciate more now the story is out of the way. 3 is still my favourite.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: January 20th, 2019, 5:10 pmJAN - Super Mario Land (Nintendo Gameboy)
JAN - Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Megadrive on PS4)
FEB - Professor Layton & The Curious Village (Android)
FEB - Donkey Kong '94 (Nintendo Gameboy)
FEB - Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
FEB - Chuchel (Android)
FEB - Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
MAR - Spider-Man (PS4)
MAR - Florence (Android)
MAR - Where On Google Earth Is Carmen Sandiego (Browser)
MAR - Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (PS4)
MAR - Final Fantasy X (PS Vita)
MAY - Söldner-X 2 (PS Vita)
MAY - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)

I decided to play this again a few weeks ago and have been slowly making my way through it. It was just as brilliant as the first time I played it three years ago. I just love the characters, the story, and especially the blatent fan service in the intro and epilogue. Drake reminiscing over past adventures just made me feel like he was an old friend. I do hope we've not seen the last of Uncharted, because I think they built a really special world, and I'd love to see more of it.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Splatoon 2 (campaign)

Honestly think this is the hardest game I’ve finished since beating Mom’s heart on Binding of Isaac. Some amazing ideas, infuriating difficulty spikes but overall very enjoyable. Now I can play multiplayer without this monkey on my back finally!
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

15/02 - Resident Evil 2 (PS4)
17/02 - Final Fantasy VIII (PS Vita)
18/02 - FAR: Lone Sails (PC)
14/04 - Final Fantasy IX (PS Vita)
28/04 - Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (PC)
09/05 - Devil May Cry 5 (PC)
11/05 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PC)

LOVED this game. It's in the same tier as Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne for me. The final boss gave me trouble for awhile there, but honestly once it clicked it was one of my favourite moments in a game.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

hazeredmist wrote: May 11th, 2019, 12:58 pm Splatoon 2 (campaign)

Honestly think this is the hardest game I’ve finished since beating Mom’s heart on Binding of Isaac. Some amazing ideas, infuriating difficulty spikes but overall very enjoyable. Now I can play multiplayer without this monkey on my back finally!
It sounds somewhat odd to me to hear that the Splatoon 2 campaign is hard. Apart from a couple of levels which were a little tricky, I mostly found it a walk in the park. But that said, the way you describe it actually sounds a lot closer to my experience with the Octo Expansion campaign. Even being someone who has put a lot of time in to these games, I found that to have pretty awful difficulty balancing, and a lot of levels that were extremely hard in a not particularly fun way.

I have actually seen a few other people describe having a similarly tough experience with the standard campaign actually. I would assume it comes from people who are very new at the game, but it sounds like you're at least familiar with it. And I don't remember the campaign for the first game being particularly challenging when I was still new at it too. Outside of the final boss maybe.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I’m probably just shit. But I’m good at multiplayer, frequently coming top! Ah well. Maybe the campaign of Splatoon is just my bogey team. I’m not a newcomer, I had the first game too. So there are no excuses here...
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January:
Tale of Tales Collection
Virginia
Gravity Rush 2
Nier Automata

Feb:
Wolfenstein 2
Prey (2006)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Aladdin SNES
Aladdin Mega Drive
Donkey Kong

March:
Donkey King Country
Pilotwings
Dino crisis
Pony Island
Ape Escape
Donkey Kong country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Monkey Island 2

April:
DK 94
Inside (PS4)
Pony island
Shovel Knight plague of shadows
Dk64
Banjo Kazooie
11/05 Banjo Tooie

DK64, Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie back to back with all trinkets collected. I think I need a 3D platformer break before I tackle Nuts and Bolts but I throughly enjoyed the Banjo games. Tooie was an easier game to play but figuring out the tricks to get all the Jiggies was mentally taxing. Starting to see why Rare games were held in high regard.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Blimey!

Nuts & Bolts is really a completely different genre though.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

dezm0nd wrote: April 9th, 2019, 9:33 am Jan 1 - Cat Quest
Jan 3 - Nex Machina (Arcade, experienced)
Jan 4 - Celeste
Jan 10 - Yoku's Island Express
Jan 13 - Evil Within 2
Jan 14 - Pilotwings
Jan 21 - Edith Finch
Jan 26 - Resident Evil 2 (Leon A)
Jan 27 - Resident Evil 2 (Claire A)
Jan 31 - Resident Evil 2 (Leon B)

Feb 11 - Firewatch

March 19 - Donkey Kong 64
March 29 - Goldeneye 007 (00 Agent)

April 9 - Yoshi Crafted World