Games Completed 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Games Completed 2019

Post by ratsoalbion »

Well, average recorded completion time for 5 is 12 hours, and for 6 it’s 22 hours. This would certainly tally up with those of us who played through the games for the podcast last year.
So it’s getting on for pretty much twice as long (and about a quarter as fun in my opinion)!
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

ratsoalbion wrote: March 28th, 2019, 5:29 pm Well, average recorded completion time for 5 is 12 hours, and for 6 it’s 22 hours. This would certainly tally up with those of us who played through the games for the podcast last year.
So it’s getting on for pretty much twice as long (and about a quarter as fun in my opinion)!
The first time I did 6 I thought it was extremely long but doing it a second time it was way shorter knowing exactly what to do and not wasting any time on anything. 5 was a lot more linear than 6 but 5 is also quite a long game.

One tip I would give anyone for 6 would be, just play with the AI. So much easier and a much better experience. Quite the opposite of what I would say about 5 which was a lot better in co-op. 5 is much better designed for co-op.

I would agree that Res 6 is a lot less fun than 5 but if you switch your brain off, skip all cut scenes and just enjoy it for what it is, it's not that bad a game.

I'm surprised the visuals of 6 weren't praised very much on the podcast. I think it's a stunning looking game on 360 and PS3. I'm sure on PS4 and XB1 it looks even better.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I played it on PC. The visuals were fine, technically decent but wholly uncharismatic to me.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: January 20th, 2019, 5:10 pmJAN - Super Mario Land (Nintendo Gameboy)
JAN - Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Megadrive on PS4)
FEB - Professor Layton & The Curious Village (Android)
FEB - Donkey Kong '94 (Nintendo Gameboy)
FEB - Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
FEB - Chuchel (Android)
FEB - Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
MAR - Spider-Man (PS4)
MAR - Florence (Android)
MAR - Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (PS4)

I played this once to completion back on release (of the original game) so it was nice to go through it again and see if it holds up. It does, surprisingly well as it happens. Although I do enjoy them, I very rarely play straight up First Person Shooters, so this made a nice change. Short, punchy, and fun.

Plus the Call Of Duty rap over the end credits is hilarious and pure cringe in equal measure. It harks back to the original GTA song from the first PS1 game.

Yeah, this game is still worth playing.
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Alex79uk wrote: March 29th, 2019, 12:41 am
Alex79uk wrote: January 20th, 2019, 5:10 pmJAN - Super Mario Land (Nintendo Gameboy)
FEB - Chuchel (Android)
MAR - Spider-Man (PS4)
MAR - Florence (Android)

I played this once to completion back on release (of the original game) so it was nice to go through it again and see if it holds up. It does, surprisingly well as it happens. Although I do enjoy them, I very rarely play straight up First Person Shooters, so this made a nice change. Short, punchy, and fun.

Plus the Call Of Duty rap over the end credits is hilarious and pure cringe in equal measure. It harks back to the original GTA song from the first PS1 game.

Yeah, this game is still worth playing.
It's still a great game CoD4 :MW. I revisted the 360 version a year or so ago and enjoyed as much as when it first came out. My friend did the remaster last weekend and said he really enjoyed going through it again. We're hoping for a Modern Warfare 2 remaster but mostly for spec-ops mode.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I'd be up for a MW2 remaster, I think it's fairly likely at this point. That was the last Call Of Duty game I played really. I did a little of the first Black Ops but traded it back in fairly quickly.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Jan 1 - Cat Quest
Jan 3 - Nex Machina (Arcade, experienced)
Jan 4 - Celeste
Jan 10 - Yoku's Island Express
Jan 13 - Evil Within 2
Jan 14 - Pilotwings
Jan 21 - Edith Finch
Jan 26 - Resident Evil 2 (Leon A)
Jan 27 - Resident Evil 2 (Claire A)
Jan 31 - Resident Evil 2 (Leon B)

Feb 11 - Firewatch

March 19 - Donkey Kong 64
March 29 - Goldeneye 007 (00 Agent)

I cannot believe how quickly I finished this. My brain is forever branded with the exact ways to complete this game on any difficulty, it seems. Took me about 2 hours.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

ratsoalbion wrote: March 28th, 2019, 5:29 pm Well, average recorded completion time for 5 is 12 hours, and for 6 it’s 22 hours. This would certainly tally up with those of us who played through the games for the podcast last year.
Surely if it’s twice as long it must be twice as fun right? ;)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: March 25th, 2019, 4:02 pm 5th Jan - Rise of the Tomb Raider (XBO)
1st Feb - Doom (2016) (XBO)
20th Feb - Crackdown 3: Campaign (XBO)
25th Mar - Bound (PS4)
30th Mar - Shadow of the Tomb Raider (XBO)

Mixed feelings on this one. Still a fun game series to play, but it’s sort of a shame they never really moved on the game design much from game to game.

The pacing is a bit off as well this time, there’s a section about half way in where the tightly paced sections switch to a town full of side quests to do. I mean, you can ignore them, but the story does kinda need you to do at least some of them to make sense.

Once past that bit there’s a section that feels the most like Indiana Jones this reboot series has gone, and the final section is less of a combat slog than the previous two games.

Overall I’m pretty positive on the series, but I’m not really sure they can do the same thing again if they want to do more any time soon. They’re kind of where Assassins Creed was after AC Syndicate, the formula is wrung out and they need to rethink it again.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Spoiler: show
Jan 13: Marvel Spiderman
Jan 26: Gravity Rush Remastered
Mar 18: Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
Mar 30: Thomas was Alone
This was a very fun little title. Presentation was nice and sleek and the puzzles got challenging but never unfair and some solutions were incredibly inventive. My only complaint is that sometimes the jump was not too responsive. I would line up a jump at the end of the run and press X but the game would not recognise this input! This did not happen often but it was always annoying when it did happen especially in the more challenging platform sections. Thankfully, this is alleviated somewhat by frequent checkpoints. But overall, this is a really endearing title that is quite cheap nowadays so anyone who enjoys puzzle platformers should check it out.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Jan 2 - War for the Overworld (PC)
Jan 13 - Pyre (PC)
Jan 16 - Heroes of Hammerwatch (PC)
Jan 17 - Mega Man 11 (Switch)
Jan 20 - ReThink | Evolved (PC)
Jan 20 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)
Jan 22 - Ruzar - The Life Stone (PC)
Jan 27 - After Death (PC)
Feb 6 - Vikings - Wolves of Midgard (PC)
Feb 21 - Loyalty and Blood: Viktor Origins (PC)

Feb 27 - Book of Demons (PC)
Mar 4 - Vaporum (PC)
Mar 5 - Frost (Switch)
Mar 9 - DarkMaus (PC)
Mar 10 - Octopath Traveler (Switch)

This is an interesting one. On one hand, I loved the gameplay. Enemies taking reduced damage until you hit their vulnerabilities to drop their shield, stunning them and letting you pile on the damage was great fun. Everyone having their own job class and being able to give them a second job to widen their range or focus their strength adds further strategy to the mix. If things are done properly, you can really drop enemies fast, even bosses. Things can still be threatening if something unexpected happens such as when I brought a full magic team to a boss who ended up being only vulnerable to physical or if you don't min/max all the way. Not bad at all.

On the other hand, the pattern of the game is very predictable. All eight characters have four chapters and they all play at the same. Go to the town their chapter takes place in, do a thing in the town, go to the adjoining dungeon to kill the boss and move on to the next chapter. All paths are very linear with only some forks that quickly lead to a treasure chest. There are optional dungeons but they play out the same way, just swapping the main chapter story with a sidequest (if there is one).

The story takes a huge hit here. Every character has four chapters. This really reduces any developments they can have, making just about everything predictable from the low number of characters each one has. This all stems from every character's story being completely independent. For the story, the other 7 characters simply don't exist. Olberic's story has him do some 1v1 duels (story-wise) where your party pops in for the fight and then pops out for the cutscene immediately after. Therion's story is all about him being alone and doing things by himself. Just ignore the other 7 party members helping him. If anyone needs an example of ludonarrative dissonance, this game is perfect.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I really enjoyed, Octopath Travller and out over 60 hours into it - I just lost puff in the final chapters of my main 3 characters.

I’ve recently pondered going back into it, as nothing comes close to how much I enjoyed what this game does.

The news that they are working on a new title in the series fills me with happiness and I know the criticism of how the stories don’t really tie in was met with understanding - so hopefully the next one will be even better !!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January:
Tale of Tales Collection
Virginia
Gravity Rush 2
Nier Automata

Feb:
Wolfenstein 2
Prey (2006)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Aladdin SNES
Aladdin Mega Drive
Donkey Kong

March:
Donkey King Country
Pilotwings
Dino crisis
Pony Island
Ape Escape
Donkey Kong country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Monkey Island 2

April:
DK 94

April:
Inside (PS4)
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Finished The Last of Us. Good game, good story, not on my list of greatest games of all time, by any means. Maybe I just missed the boat on that one. Would never chastise anyone for thinking it is the best game ever, but I guess I wasn't blown away by the story or the telling of it. I did get a bit teary-eyed at the giraffes, though, but I cry at anything these days.
The ending's choice didn't bother me much, but I didn't love the suddenness of it all. I almost felt like I got the bad ending but there's only one!
Also, it made me want to watch Logan again and I did. So, thanks for that too, the Last of Us!
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Jan – Streets of Rage 2 - Sega Mega Drive Classics (Switch)
Jan - Detroit: Become Human (PS4 Pro)
Feb - Quarantine Circular (Switch)
Feb - Yoku's Island Express (Switch)
Feb - Shenmue (PS4 Pro)

Mar - Rise Of The Tomb Raider (Xbox One X)

Enjoyed this. A good broadening of scope from the original reboot, and overall the game felt tight to play and more involving mechanically than the Uncharted games with which new Tomb Raider is so often compared. Environment traversal was satisfying, gunplay was fine if unspectacular, and the well thought-out challenge tombs were fun boxes of tricks to work your way around.

The game is also stunning. Absolutely stunning. I'll caveat that with the fact I was playing in 4K HDR on a One X, but I get the feeling it's probably a damn pretty game regardless of platform. The environments in particular are beautifully realised, with a real sense of texture and life to them, helped by some stunning lighting effects in places. Lara herself is also incredibly detailed and fluidly animated, and scenes where it's just her against the elements are frequently jaw-dropping. Unfortunately the same level of care hasn't been shown to the NPCs, meaning there's a noticeable difference in fidelity when Lara's sharing the screen with the supporting cast.

The only real downside for me is that the whole thing is just a bit po-faced and dour. I don't want them to go full Uncharted quip-tastic by any means, but a bit of levity once in a while wouldn't have gone amiss even if just to momentarily lighten the mood.

'Shadow' is now also on Game Pass, and while I'm not going to be jumping straight in I certainly had enough of a good time with 'Rise' that it's very much on the list!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

FEB - Chuchel (Android)
MAR - Spider-Man (PS4)
MAR - Florence (Android)
MAR - Where On Google Earth Is Carmen Sandiego (Browser)
MAR - Final Fantasy X (PS Vita)

Finished this a couple of days ago. Really enjoyed it, and the game had some fantastic systems. After completion I glanced over a guide and realised how much content there was I never even saw! Celestial Weapons, Chocobo racing, all sorts of stuff! Will post more thoughts in the podcast thread, but really did think it was a great game.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 16 - Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
Jan 20 - FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Jan 25 - Final Fantasy VIII (PSVita - PS1 Classic)
Jan 27 - Puzzle Bobble (Switch) (Difficulty Level 4 - One credit)
Feb 3 - Metal Slug 3 (PS4 - PS2 anthology version on Easy)
Feb 8 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Switch)(Vs Computer mode - Normal)
Feb 12 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Switch)(Puzzle mode - One credit)
Feb 20 - Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (3DS - DS cart)
Feb 21 - Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Switch) (World of Light)
Mar 3 - Ristar (JP version) (PC)
Mar 22 - Wargroove (Switch)
Mar 31 - River City Ransom (Switch - NES rom)

Hey! No one ever mentioned any ransom in this game! :x

I played a rom of this in the 2000s but never finished it. Its got some cool ideas for a side scrolling beat-em-up from 1989. Beat up gangs, take their money and buy food, books, cds etc to heal and increase your stats (there's about ten different stats). You can go back and forward through the whole game to help level up. It doesn't use a lives system but kicks you back to the previous shopping area with half your money if you die. I found the triple punch/kick to be quite overpowered when I got it and those became my only moves bar the metal chain.

The game ends with all the gangs going back to high school and becoming honor students :o . Given how often I smashed some of them in the head, I find that hard to believe.

Apr 2 - Donkey Kong '94 (3DS - VC)

Yup, its good, very good. Not too hard either. I suppose it would be termed a puzzle platformer these days. Playable in nice bitesize chunks too (its Game Boy heritage showing).
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Bit of a slow start to 2019, and I really wish I could include Out Run here because after decades I’ve now seen the finish line on one of the final stages. Maybe next time!

1 Jan: Lego Marvel Super Heroes (PS4)
12 Jan: LittleBigPlanet 3 (PS4)
27 Jan: Raging Justice (Switch)
7 Feb: Mega Man 4 (Switch)
7 Mar: Trials Fusion (PS4)
15 Mar: Cursed Castilla EX (Switch)
22 Mar: The Witness (PS4)
27 Mar: Call of Duty - Modern Warfare Remastered (PS4)
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 4:13 pm
MAR - Final Fantasy X (PS Vita)

Finished this a couple of days ago. Really enjoyed it, and the game had some fantastic systems. After completion I glanced over a guide and realised how much content there was I never even saw! Celestial Weapons, Chocobo racing, all sorts of stuff! Will post more thoughts in the podcast thread, but really did think it was a great game.
I really missed the in-battle character switching mechanic while playing XII.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Suits wrote: April 1st, 2019, 10:01 am I really enjoyed, Octopath Travller and out over 60 hours into it - I just lost puff in the final chapters of my main 3 characters.

I’ve recently pondered going back into it, as nothing comes close to how much I enjoyed what this game does.

The news that they are working on a new title in the series fills me with happiness and I know the criticism of how the stories don’t really tie in was met with understanding - so hopefully the next one will be even better !!
As a reference, it took me about 90 hours to take out the final boss. I'm certainly keeping an eye on whatever the team comes up with next. Maybe some tweaking to the combat systems and having a fully connected story (hopefully a good one) is what I'm looking forward to.