Games Completed 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ReprobateGamer

Re: Games Completed 2019

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Chopper wrote: October 17th, 2019, 9:13 am
ReprobateGamer wrote: October 17th, 2019, 9:09 am I will raise my hand here and say that I did have the list of achievements to hand for this.
You monster! :lol:
Guilty as charged - you've seen my handle right? :twisted:

I stand by that decision though. To have tracked down some of the missable achievements would have meant spending a lot longer meandering through each section and lessening the impact overall. I think this is one where the achievements do detract from the game - especially as at least a couple involve doing things that the characters actually wouldn't have done in that circumstance. Knowing how long I had until the next one meant that I could investigate the scene and enjoy the ambience - rather than have to apply gamer logic every step of the way

Regarding your other posting, the fish factory resonated less with me than did the various scenes with the younger children - that would come from being a parent and adult fears being addressed. And even the fish factory taps into that ...
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Yeah, good points! I just looked back at my trophies and see I have them all too. By the looks of it I only had to go back and do the Owl one, and the two paths at the start. No platinum on PS4 unfortunately.

----

Generally my completion criterion for Out of the Park Baseball is winning the World Series, something that is not guaranteed every year. You can be the best team in baseball by a significant margin, and get bounced out of the playoffs in a hot minute - as in real life.

So step forward, the 2020 San Diego Padres (it only took two years this time, helped by trading away a lot of the real life Padres minor league depth). My strategy was to get pitchers who suppressed home runs, and because it was a small market team, to get a great bullpen rather than brilliant starters or hitters (I also won the Moneyball award for winning the WS on a shoestring).

Joey Lucchesi may be in line for the Cy Young this year, depending on innings pitched (he was injured for about six weeks). :o
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Starlink :Battle for Atlas - PS4.
(Jan) Far Cry 5 - PS4.
(Jan) Resident Evil 2(2019) - PS4.
(Jan) Shadow of the Tomb Raider - XB1X.
(Feb) Metro Exodus - XB1X.
(Mar) Marvel's Spiderman - PS4.
(Apr) The Division 2 - XB1X.
(Apr) Dead Rising 3 - XB1X.
(Apr) World War Z - XB1X.
(Apr) Earthfall: Invasion - XB1X.
(May) RYSE: Son of Rome - XB1X.
(May) Tacoma - XB1X.
(May) Abzu - XB1X.
(May) Mortal Kombat X - XB1X.
(May) The Walking Dead:A New Frontier - XB1X.
(May) The Gardens Between - XB1X.
(June) Crackdown 3: Campaign -XB1X.
(June) Days Gone(platinum) - PS4.
(Aug) Wolfenstein: Youngblood - XB1X.
(Aug) Detroit: Become Human - PS4.
(Aug) Devil May Cry 5 - XB1X.
(Sept) Gears 5 - XB1X.
(Oct) Rage 2 - XB1X.
(Oct) Anthem - XB1X.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: January 20th, 2019, 5:10 pmJAN - Super Mario Land (Nintendo Gameboy)
JAN - Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Megadrive on PS4)
FEB - Professor Layton & The Curious Village (Android)
FEB - Donkey Kong '94 (Nintendo Gameboy)
FEB - Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
FEB - Chuchel (Android)
FEB - Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
MAR - Spider-Man (PS4)
MAR - Florence (Android)
MAR - Where On Google Earth Is Carmen Sandiego (Browser)
MAR - Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (PS4)
MAR - Final Fantasy X (PS Vita)
MAY - Söldner-X 2 (PS Vita)
MAY - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
MAY - The Punisher (Arcade on PS Vita)
JUN - Super Mario Bros. (NES on Switch)
JUN - Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PS4)
JUL - Windjammers (Arcade Mode) (PS Vita)
JUL - Detroit: Become Human (PS4)
JUL - Super Mario Odyssey: Credits Roll (Switch)
AUG - Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES on Switch) SEP - Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
SEP - Yakuza Kiwami 2: The Majima Saga (PS4)
SEP - Assassin's Creed: Revelations (PS4)
SEP - Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4)
SEP - Super Metroid (SNES on Switch)
SEP - The Room (Android)
OCT - The Room 2 (Android)
OCT - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4)

Great fun. Plods a little in places if you let it, but mainline the story without getting too distracted and you'll find it actually keeps up a decent pace. I decided on my AC mega-playthrough to avoid too much side stuff, and having a much better time for it. What's better than being a pirate? The game still looks lovely, it has a good story and a nice ending. Really enjoyed it.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Far Cry 5 - PS4.
(May) Tacoma - XB1X.
(May) Abzu - XB1X.
(Sept) Gears 5 - XB1X.
(Oct) Rage 2 - XB1X.
(Oct) Anthem - XB1X.
(Oct) Battlefield V - XB1X.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: September 25th, 2019, 10:57 pm 5th Jan - Rise of the Tomb Raider (XBO)
1st Feb - Doom (2016) (XBO)
20th Feb - Crackdown 3: Campaign (XBO)
25th Mar - Bound (PS4)
30th Mar - Shadow of the Tomb Raider (XBO)
29th April - Mortal Kombat 11 Story Mode (PS4)
17th May - Middle Earth: Shadow of War (XBO)
25th May - Wolfenstein 2 (XBO)
28th May - Tacoma (XBO)
12th July - Metro 2033 Redux (XBO)
23rd July - Timespinner (XBO)
30th July - Shadow Warrior 2 (XBO)
3rd Sep - Outcast: Second Contact (XBO)
15th Sep - Gears 5 (XBO)
25th Sep - Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (XBO)
21st Oct - Return of the Obra Dinn (XBO)

Been a while waiting for this to come to console, but I think it was worth it. Probably the closest anyone has ever come to getting actual deductive reasoning into a puzzle game (though it’s less of a whodunnit than a who is it). There’s a good game makers toolkit YouTube video on why murder mysteries are so hard to do in games that explains it better than I ever could.

Still one achievement to get, but that’s for doing something dumb on a clean playthrough so it can wait for the next TrueAchievements contest.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Nice one, that was quick! I will check out that vid, cheers.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think it took me about 6 hours all told, but it very much plays into the kind of puzzle that I’m generally pretty good at (gotta flex those old ARG brain cells from time to time)

With the GMTK videos, there’s one that’s just about Obra Dinn that’s full of spoilers (and gives you warning in the video itself about when to stop it) and another that’s about detective games in general.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

That's very impressive! It took me 11.2 hours on Steam but I did restart after 60-90 mins because I didn't have a handle on the mechanics/navigation.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Jan - Streets Of Rage 2 (Switch)
Jan - Detroit: Become Human (PS4 Pro)
Feb - Quarantine Circular (Switch)
Feb - Yoku’s Island Express (Switch)
Feb - Shenmue (PS4 Pro)
Mar - Rise of the Tomb Raider (XOX)
Apr - Gunstar Heroes (Switch)
May - Street Fighter 5 (PS4 Pro)
Jun - The Division 2 (XOX)
Jul - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Switch)
Aug – Burning Rangers (Saturn)
Sep – Doom (2016) (XOX)

Oct – The Messenger (Switch)

This was a pretty high profile indie title when it released on Switch and PC back in August 2018 (it’s also now on PS4 as of March this year), so most probably know at least a little, if not a lot, about the game already.

Briefly, for those that don’t, it’s a pixel art side-scrolling Ninja Gaiden/Metroidvania mash-up, with a particularly nifty central mechanic in that it jumps between 8-bit and 16-bit inspired styles, often on the fly, moment to moment, as you progress through the game. I won’t go into too much detail beyond that, as I don’t want to ruin various surprises for people who have yet to play the game. But suffice to say that this mechanic, along with a number of other gameplay & style switch-ups throughout it’s runtime, make this slick debut from Sabotage Games far more than first meets the eye.

First the positives – the game is gorgeous whatever ‘mode’ you’re in at any given time, with the level of quality in the pixel art consistently beautiful from start to finish. This is matched by the quality of the sound design. From the pitch perfect effects to the fantastically dynamic music that adapts seamlessly to the ever-changing environments, it is universally excellent stuff.

The game also feels incredibly tight and precise to play. You’re a ninja after all, and crucially you feel as fast, agile and deadly as you absolutely should in that role. It’s not quite Super Meat Boy or Celeste good, but generally if you’re failing it’s because you’re not up to snuff, rather than the game’s mechanics letting you down. And you will fail. Quite a lot. Initially the difficulty is pretty steady, dare I say pedestrian at times, but come the conclusion you’ll be asked to complete some pretty darn complex traversal and boss combat that will put your Switch at risk of being slung across the room!

On the not so good side, the game is far too long for me, with the Metroidvania sections not quite striking the balance of backtracking vs rewarding discovery to stop things dragging in the final third. My play time came in around 12-13 hours, and while I’m broadly very positive about the game I think there’s a stellar 8 hour experience in there that would have some great replay value. As it stands it’s just a little too bloated to really tempt me back for another go round.

That said, the positives of The Messenger far outweigh the negatives. This is retro side-scrolling action out of the top drawer, and if that kind of thing is your bag you need to be picking it up quick smart!
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Far Cry 5 - PS4.
(May) Tacoma - XB1X.
(May) Abzu - XB1X.
(Sept) Gears 5 - XB1X.
(Oct) Rage 2 - XB1X.
(Oct) Anthem - XB1X.
(Oct) Battlefield V - XB1X.
(Oct) Blair Witch - XB1X.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
25/01 - Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
31/01 - Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
01/02 - SOMA (Safe Mode)
09/02 - Shadow Warrior
18/02 - Mulaka
26/02 - NieR: Automata - 3C3C1D119440927 DLC
02/03 - Race Driver: GRID
04/03 - Bladed Fury
10/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Devil Hunter)
13/03 - AER: Memories of Old
17/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Son of Sparda)
20/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Human)
05/04 - God of War III Remastered
12/04 - Devil May Cry 5 (Dante Must Die)
14/04 - Journey
15/04 - ABZU
22/04 - Journey
28/04 - Lost Planet: Extreme Condition - Colonies Edition
30/04 - Dangerous Driving
02/05 - Final Fantasy XV - Episode Gladiolus/Episode Prompto/Episode Ignis
12/05 - The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Enhanced Edition
21/05 - RiME
22/05 - Remember Me
20/06 - Bioshock
08/07 - Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 2
11/07 - Bioshock 2
25/07 - Inside
05/08 - Bioshock Infinite
14/08 - Eastshade
23/08 - Judgment
11/09 - Astral Chain (Pt Standard)
13/09 - Jettomero: Hero of the Universe
15/09 - Assault Spy (Normal/Asaru)
19/09 - Prey (2006)
23/09 - Leaving Lyndow
24/09 - Assault Spy (Normal/Amelia)
04/10 - Need for Speed: Underground 2
23/10 - Astral Chain (Pt Ultimate)

Second time through this game still retains its character as being fantastic when it's doing what it does well, but is marred by missteps that drag it down in some aspects that stop it from being the best that it could be. Except this time what those things are have shifted around a bit.

Starting the game with all your Legions and abilities unlocked massively improves the earlier portions of the game. All that time I had struggling with the game early on was gone, and the combat works just as well as anywhere else. The step up in challenge feels good as well, at least for most of the game. It also lets you skip over a lot of the more tedious stuff, as the unscored blue case side-missions are already counted from your previous run. So you can get to the good stuff quicker. Through that I also realised that the more annoying scored red cases are mostly relegated to only the second half of the game, so they are at least not quite as pervasive as I thought. Although it does turn out that at least one of the late game red cases requires you to have completed all other cases in the chapter first, so to make sure I didn't miss it I needed to repeat everything again anyway.

So in general the game is still really fun and makes up for a lot of its problems on a replay, and digging in to the post-game challenge missions are fun as well, which I periodically jumped in and out of between playing the main chapters. But then towards the end of the game, things start to get a bit ridiculous.

In the last few chapters you start coming across enemies that hit extremely hard. You start seeing things that are one-hit kills, or very close. These fights are really annoying and feel pretty unfair, as they feel way too punishing for what they are. Especially when they involve you having to replay extended sequences over and over just because there's this one attack right at the end that comes out too quickly to dodge. There are also a couple of other issues that I did notice on my first time through, but didn't didn't seem that significant in the bigger picture, but upon closer inspection can't be ignored. There seems to be no way to turn off the motion controls, which is the major reason why some of those awful side-missions are so bad. Yet the game clearly presents these sections to you as if there are no motion controls at all. Giving you a tutorial for controls that you can't use. The game also has a habit of changing what consumable item you have equipped by itself. So when you reach for the button to heal you'll throw out a grenade or something by accident. There doesn't seem to be any logic to it, like running out of your equipped item and rotating to the next. I think it might be doing it based on you pressing the button and moving the stick at the same time, but the UI prompt that is supposed to come up for that doesn't.

And then there's the final boss. Oh boy, what a load of nonsense. Took me three days just to beat this. I'm not the sort of person who dislikes bosses in general. In fact I'm the complete opposite to that. Bosses are great, and Platinum have done plenty of brilliant bosses in their time. But the bosses in Astral Chain are generally pretty weak, and this one is probably the worst. On this mode, it is just unfair and horrible. Most of its attacks are a one-hit kill, or almost that. They all come out extremely quickly with next to zero wind-up. Frequently too fast to see coming, or can appear and kill you in less time than it takes you to do one of your standard attack animations. And when there is a wind-up the camera sometimes obscures the boss so you can't see what it's doing to time your dodge, despite the fight taking place in an empty void. The camera sometimes can't spin around fast enough to keep up with it teleporting too. Hitboxes are sometimes absurdly huge, much bigger than the attack itself. And even though this isn't connected to the boss directly, it was also annoying that the game doesn't remember you remapping abilities between attempts, so you have to redo them all again each time. But even with all that, I think it could be somewhat forgiven if it wasn't for this one other thing.

You can't use your chain to bind it.

On the final boss of Astral Chain, you can't use the mechanic the game is named after.

Utter madness. All the mechanics of controlling your Legion and positioning yourself on the battlefield that make this game unique just get thrown away for this fight. Just becomes an ultra hard war of attrition, where a lot of it relies on luck of whether the game wants to pull something out to screw you that you can't do anything about. This is probably the new hardest thing I've managed to beat in a game. I suppose I feel good for finally having overcome it, but the experience of doing so was not fun.

I'm still positive on the game overall though. Just that the game is full of very high highs, and unfortunately low lows. Shame that the game has to end with one of the latter.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: October 21st, 2019, 7:49 am 5th Jan - Rise of the Tomb Raider (XBO)
1st Feb - Doom (2016) (XBO)
20th Feb - Crackdown 3: Campaign (XBO)
25th Mar - Bound (PS4)
30th Mar - Shadow of the Tomb Raider (XBO)
29th April - Mortal Kombat 11 Story Mode (PS4)
17th May - Middle Earth: Shadow of War (XBO)
25th May - Wolfenstein 2 (XBO)
28th May - Tacoma (XBO)
12th July - Metro 2033 Redux (XBO)
23rd July - Timespinner (XBO)
30th July - Shadow Warrior 2 (XBO)
3rd Sep - Outcast: Second Contact (XBO)
15th Sep - Gears 5 (XBO)
25th Sep - Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (XBO)
21st Oct - Return of the Obra Dinn (XBO)
23rd Oct - Battlefield 1: campaign (XBO)

Another bit of gamepass cleanup. What’s there is solid and surprisingly nuanced. I just wish there was about twice as much of it.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

1st February - Dark Souls
8th February - The Gardens Between
9th February - Quarantine Circular
20th February - Night in the woods
26th March - Ape Out
16th June - Brothers
25th June - My Friend Pedro
7th July - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
23rd July - Streets of Rage 2
27th August - DOOM (1993)
2nd October - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
6th October - Astral Chain
9th October - Untitled Goose Game
16th October - What Remains of Edith Finch

23rd October - Sayonara Wild Hearts

What a stylish game Sayonara Wild Hearts is. Looks incredible and is so imaginative.

It's a series of short rhythm and movement based levels that unfurl as the music and story do. The locations, action and style of gameplay constantly evolve and build up to longer chapter battles.

The synth pop music is really, really good when you get long enough snatches of it. And that comment masks my overriding slight disappointment with it overall.

Lots of the levels stop just as they get going, clocking in at under a minute. And there's only really 3 or so that let you settle into a groove of 2-3 minutes before they end abruptly.

Beat the game and you unlock Arcade mode which lets you play the whole game in one go. That helps a lot, but the loading screens and cutscenes still disrupt your flow and take you out of the immersion when you're gagging for one long gameplay experience.

Unlike Thumper or Lumines, where when it clicks you feel invincible and at one with the music, it rarely is on screen long enough to have the same effect.

Which is a real shame as it's more imaginative and visually compelling than either of those games.

I'd still recommend it for the music, story and style alone, but I can't see me replaying it tons like I have other games of its ilk purely for the lack of flow it locks you into.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

The Return of the Obra Dinn (PS4)

Very happy to play through this again (originally on PC in Jan) and loved it. It holds up very well to a second playthrough, even though, in theory, you know who most of the crew are ahead of time. I didn't cheat and only identified someone I already knew when the game gave me enough info to do so. Navigation seemed a bit weird this time around (going to the next body, then getting sent back to follow the smoke trail seemed redundant) but maybe it was like that before too.

Most likely game of the year for me, I love everything about it.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
Resident Evil 2
God of War
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Prey
Persona 5
Tetris Effect
Journey
Red Dead Redemption 2
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Mega Man 11
Metal Gear: Survive
Undertale
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Dante's Inferno
Super Castlevania IV
Castlevania
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Metal Slug X
Inside
Phantasy Star
Doki Doki Literature Club
Captain Commando
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Final Fight
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
Knights of the Round
The King of Dragons
Warriors of Fate
Armored Warriors
Devil May Cry 5
Crash Bandicoot
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

27th Jan - Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (Switch)
1st Feb - New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (Switch)
9th Mar - Crackdown 3 (Xbox One X)
6th May - Mortal Kombat 11: Story Mode (PS4 Pro)
12th May - God Of War '18 (PS4 Pro)
19th May - Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4 Pro)
23rd May - Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4 Pro)
26th May - Devil May Cry 5 (PS4 Pro)
1st Jun - Days Gone (PS4 Pro)
8th Jun - Blood & Truth (PS4 Pro)
8th Aug - Resident Evil 2 (PS4 Pro)
6th Sep - Man of Medan (PS4 Pro)
12th Oct - A Plague Tale: Innocence (PS4 Pro)
27th Oct - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare '19 (PS4 Pro)

As is always the way, the COD campaigns are relatively short but entertaining all the same. It took me about 7 hours to get through so didn't outstay its welcome.

However, no on really buys COD for the single player stuff so now I've got it done I can focus 100% on the multiplayer, which is absolutely fantastic.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

The Long Dark, Wintermute (story campaign), Episode 3.

Boy oh boy, I'm not sure I'm up to describing this. The Long Dark works really well as a survival sandbox, so the story mode has some real obstacles to overcome while using the same mechanics and setting. For example, you encounter wolves in the sandbox, and you can choose to give them a wide berth (advisable), or pick off one from a distance if you have a ranged weapon, and so on. In the campaign, wolf encounters are scripted, so none of the above applies. You have to deal with them - and although you are given two guns and a flare pistol to help with this, it is extremely difficult to land a shot on several moving targets using a console pad. There are about a dozen scripted wolf encounters in this game, leading to the necessity of save scumming to get through them. I should mention that a wolf encounter often leads to death and a game over, or if you survive, you're often in a state where you're as well reloading a save. So pretty big stakes.

In fact, after about 5 hours of raging on PS4, I decided to move over to PC where I also own the game, and restart it with mouse and keyboard instead. What a blessed relief! Zero issues with shooting after that.

The entire episode is about 10 hours in length and was full of infuriating things, but for some reason I'm thinking about going back to console and finishing it there also (though I'm not sure I'll be able to scrounge enough bullets to finish it on console unless I save scum to the point where I can do 1 wolf = 1 bullet). So it has some weird appeal.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Jan 2 - War for the Overworld (PC)
Jan 13 - Pyre (PC)
Jan 16 - Heroes of Hammerwatch (PC)
Jan 17 - Mega Man 11 (Switch)
Jan 20 - ReThink | Evolved (PC)
Jan 20 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)
Jan 22 - Ruzar - The Life Stone (PC)
Jan 27 - After Death (PC)
Feb 6 - Vikings - Wolves of Midgard (PC)
Feb 21 - Loyalty and Blood: Viktor Origins (PC)

Feb 27 - Book of Demons (PC)
Mar 4 - Vaporum (PC)
Mar 5 - Frost (Switch)
Mar 9 - DarkMaus (PC)
Mar 10 - Octopath Traveler (Switch)
Mar 31 - Final Fantasy X (PC)
Apr 5 - Treasure Adventure World (PC)
Apr 15 - Greedy Guns (PC)
Apr 23 - ChromaGun (PC)
Apr 27 - The Quest (PC)

May 1 - Skautfold: Usurper (PC)
May 7 - Alwa's Awakening (PC)
May 9 - OneShot (PC)
May 13 - Darkest Dungeon: Ancestral Edition (Switch)
May 27 - Warhammer: Vermintide 2 (PC)
May 29 - Styx: Shards of Darkness (PC)
Jun 5 - The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians (PC)
Jun 5 - Monster Boy and The Cursed Kingdom (Switch)
Jun 11 - Yoku's Island Express (Switch)
Jun 17 - LISA (PC)

Jun 18 - Heroes of the Monkey Tavern (PC)
Jun 24 - Halcyon 6 (PC)
Jun 29 - Fox n Forests (PC)
Jul 4 - Battle Princess Madelyn (Switch)
Jul 14 - Dustforce (PC)
Jul 26 - Ambition of the Slimes (Switch)
July 29 - Final Fantasy X-2 (PC)
July 31 - Epistory - Typing Chronicles (PC)
Aug 2 - Moonlighter (Switch)
Aug 6 - Seasons After Fall (PC)

Aug 10 - Bayonetta 2 (Switch)
Aug 12 - ReThink | Evolved 2 (PC)
Aug 21 - Shadows: Awakening (PC)
Aug 24 - Singularity (PC)
Aug 26 - Typoman (PC)
Sep 4 - Mercenaries Saga: Will of the White Lions (Switch)
Sep 4 - The Surge (PC)
Sep 6 - Rise & Shine (PC)
Sep 14 - The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
Sep 15 - -KLAUS- (PC)

Sep 22 - MagiCat (Switch)
Oct 3 - Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (PC)
Oct 9 - Serious Sam 2 (PC)
Oct 22 - Cosmic Star Heroine (Switch)

This RPG has a rather unique battle system. Each character has seven abilities in battle (you choose which ones from their full list). Most are only usable once until you defend. There are also items that are usable once per battle (some exceptions) that are shared between your party and programs that are almost all one use per battle and are per character based on what shield they are using. Most moves give you Style which is used up to greatly boost abilities that have Burst on them and it also serves to let you live fatal blows (as long as you heal their negative health before their next turn) if you have enough. It also takes from their past games where enemies getting stronger the longer the fights go on. It all combines to a very nice combat system.

The only bit of a problem is that the difficulty isn't tuned all that well. The first few hours of the game are brutal on the hardest difficulty to the point favorable RNG is required. The enemies decided to target the same party member that round? You just lost. Beyond the start, the hardest difficulty becomes much more tame and is what I'd recommend to play on as anything lower became a bit of a joke. At least you can switch difficulty levels whenever you want.

The story is fairly generic and there really isn't anything worth mentioning from it. I do wish it had more humor like Cthulhu Saves the World had, but ah well. Still a fun romp even if it has rough edges.

Oct 25 - Gato Roboto (Switch)

You are a cat, usually in a mech, exploring a base, metroid style. Nothing all that surprising shows up here and it is very short. Took under 3 hours to 100%. Short but sweet is all there is to it on this one.
Conor NVM

Post by Conor NVM »

Minit

Completed in one hour!? And felt substantial!?

What a cool game this is. The whole '60 second life' thing is kind of a gimmick, but as the game is built around it, and it never got frustrating. Constant new things to discover, and try. Each puzzle was completed in just a few 'lives', so it moved along at such a fun pace.

Fantastic art style too. Seems a bit brash at first, but I pleasantly eased into, and appreciated, it.