Games Completed 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Games Completed 2019

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: January 20th, 2019, 5:10 pmJAN - Super Mario Land (Nintendo Gameboy)
JAN - Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Megadrive on PS4)
FEB - Professor Layton & The Curious Village (Android)
FEB - Donkey Kong '94 (Nintendo Gameboy)
FEB - Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
FEB - Chuchel (Android)
FEB - Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
MAR - Spider-Man (PS4)
MAR - Florence (Android)
MAR - Where On Google Earth Is Carmen Sandiego (Browser)
MAR - Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (PS4)
MAR - Final Fantasy X (PS Vita)
MAY - Söldner-X 2 (PS Vita)
MAY - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
MAY - The Punisher (Arcade on PS Vita)
JUN - Super Mario Bros. (NES on Switch)
JUN - Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PS4)
JUL - Windjammers (Arcade Mode) (PS Vita)
JUL - Detroit: Become Human (PS4)
JUL - Super Mario Odyssey: Credits Roll (Switch)
AUG - Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES on Switch)
SEP - Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)

Holy fucking SHIT, that was amazing! Brilliant story, brilliant world, brilliant characters, absolutely incredible game! My favourite of the series so far, from start to finish this was just the best. A much more coherent story than both Zero and the first Kiwami, it had it all. Drama, romance, revenge - what a great game!

I'm going to do the Majima Saga chapters now.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Spoiler: show
Jan - Lego Marvel Avengers
Jan - Titanfall 2
Feb - Oxenfree
March - Gorogoa
April - Resident Evil 2 Remake - Leon A + Claire 2nd Run + Runaway
April - Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 - story
April - holedown
June - Abzú (100%)
July - Gears Of War 4 (story)
July - The Gardens Below - 100%
July - Old Mans Journey (100%)
September 2nd - Batman: Arkham Knight - Xbox One (100% Story and Most Wanted Missions)

Finally got this one done. Picked it up not long after release, played through about a quarter then it's been sitting on the hard drive for two years, right up until an Xbox rewards quest gave points for getting an achievement in the game last month and that gave me the kick I needed to get this one off from the pile of shame

As with the other games in the series, this is all (apart from the opening prologue and final ending) meant to take place in one night and is the culmination of the arc of Batman and his interaction with both his rogues gallery (especially Joker) and with Gotham.
Individually most aspects of this game are very good - graphics are still of a high standard and the soundtrack is great. The cast perform well and inhabit their characters. Batman moves like a man at the height of his abilities and it's a pretty featured moveset even from the beginning of the game. The city is well laid out (despite the Midgar thing happening on one of the Islands)and the care that Rocksteady have put into this game is apparent at every turn.

And yet ... and yet ....

Something just feels a little off in the game overall. Take the Batmobile for instance. Finally drivable, this thing is a beast and a clear iteration from Burton- and Nolan-verse versions. It's lovely to drive (except when in a curved tunnel) and was great fun to use. On occasion. However, it is massively overused throughout the game - there are far too many tank battles, chases and at least three boss sequences plus all the Riddler race tracks and my God I grew to hate sections where the Batmobile featured. There were also a couple of encounters that I just had to keep trying and failing at (Elliot Hospital militia tower; northernmost bomb on Founder's Island) but others that I think should have been tricky which I breezed through (Ryker Heights militia tower felt like I should have found it harder than I did). A couple of these were certainly the near two years between play sessions and at least one is that I'm a bit too much of a button masher.

There's a point where Batman is unable to use the streets and is meant to stay to the rooftops to get across the city - but we just had the Batwing swooping around. So why wouldn't I just call up the Batwing and fly over? As I would do in Origins (which I was glad to see was made canon here) but wasn't an option here?

I wanted to like this game more than I ended up doing and I can't pin down quite why. Certainly the unceaseless Batmobile sections didn't help but there was just something that didn't quite click throughout. I have no real intention of getting any of the dlc but I'm keen to watch playthroughs of Season of Infamy etc. Riddle collecting wasn't the chore it was in City but the final fight against the Riddler wasn't satisfying - how he is dealt with is actually more enjoyable in both Asylum and the Catwoman dlc for this game.

Xbox tells me I've spent over 40 hours in this game and some of that for certain is going through the lore uncovered in the game. I think ultimately this is a game that is less than the sum of it's parts. Individual sections remain enjoyable (storming through a predator map is always great) but I doubt this is a game I will come back to.
Though game Pass does now have the Return To Arkham set and I'm intrigued to play Asylum again, just not right now.

As a side note, I'd like to see Rocksteady tackle other members of the Justice League - I'd love to see their take on the characters and abilities and they all exist in the Arkham-verse ...
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January:
Tale of Tales Collection
Virginia
Gravity Rush 2
Nier Automata

Feb:
Wolfenstein 2
Prey (2006)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Aladdin SNES
Aladdin Mega Drive
Donkey Kong

March:
Donkey King Country
Pilotwings
Dino crisis
Pony Island
Ape Escape
Donkey Kong country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Monkey Island 2

April:
DK 94
Inside (PS4)
Pony island
Shovel Knight plague of shadows
Dk64
Banjo Kazooie

May:
Banjo Tooie
Furi
Observer
Shovel Knight Specter of Torment

June:
Super Meat Boy
Evil Within

July:
Prey 2017
Evil within 2
Ground Zeroes
Pilotwings 64

August:
DJ Hero
Castlevania: SOTN
Kirbys Epic Yarn
SMB 3
september 2nd

Batman Arkham Origins

I had a sort of epiphany after a few hours playing new game plus which was far far harder than my previous normal playthrough. Frustration gave way and with a bit of patience I managed to complete the game. Aside from a few moments mainly boss fights I loved it. Collected all the riddler datapacks and even managed to get some hard challenges done for stringing together stupidly difficult combos. It’s put a different spin on the series for me. I liked it before but I love it now.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: August 5th, 2019, 3:41 pm 5th Jan - Rise of the Tomb Raider (XBO)
1st Feb - Doom (2016) (XBO)
20th Feb - Crackdown 3: Campaign (XBO)
25th Mar - Bound (PS4)
30th Mar - Shadow of the Tomb Raider (XBO)
29th April - Mortal Kombat 11 Story Mode (PS4)
17th May - Middle Earth: Shadow of War (XBO)
25th May - Wolfenstein 2 (XBO)
28th May - Tacoma (XBO)
12th July - Metro 2033 Redux (XBO)
23rd July - Timespinner (XBO)
30th July - Shadow Warrior 2 (XBO)
3rd Sep - Outcast: Second Contact (XBO)

A pretty solid remake of a game I have fond memories of, but that isn’t quite as good as I remember it being.

I think a lot of what made the original interesting was it’s unusual art style, the voxels gave it a more otherworldly look than the, admittedly very nice, polygons in the remake. It loses more than it gains I think.

Stupidly easy 1000 gamerscore as well if that’s something you care about...
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Flabyo wrote: September 4th, 2019, 7:25 am 3rd Sep - Outcast: Second Contact (XBO)
Outcast is a game I've never played but remember being fascinated by back in 1999. I read all the previews and reviews I could, and picked up the box in game shops so many times and neeeeearly buying it. The promise of this open world adventure on what was being pitched as a fully realised alien world was so enticing. I think the only reason I didn't pick it up was that the Dreamcast was on horizon and I was saving every penny I had for it at the time!

Was really excited to see it being remade when Second Contact was announced, and again I've nearly bought it on numerous occasions, only for it to pop up as an Xbox GwG title a few months back. So now I've got no excuse but to boot it up at some point I guess, accepting that it's probably going to ruin teenage Greg's massively unrealistic expectations...
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

4-9 - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)

Now on to DKC3!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: January 20th, 2019, 5:10 pmJAN - Super Mario Land (Nintendo Gameboy)
FEB - Chuchel (Android)
MAR - Spider-Man (PS4)
MAR - Florence (Android)
AUG - Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES on Switch) SEP - Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
SEP - Yakuza Kiwami 2: The Majima Saga (PS4)

Exclusive to the Kiwami remaster, there are an additional three chapters to play through as a seperate story. You play as Goro Majima, who frankly is an absolute joy to fight with. His style is very reminiscent of Eddy Gordo from Tekken, as he dances around his enemies, it's a lot of fun to play. Relatively short, I finished it in around two hours, it's easy to see that Sega could have released this as paid DLC but were good enough to include it with the main game. The story is decent enough, although there isn't a great deal to it. No sub-stories, but loads of 'Street boss' characters to fight with. There are a couple of really nice nods back to Yakuza Zero, which were well done and actually quite touching. All in all, a nice way to round of a truly excellent game.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
Resident Evil 2
God of War
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Prey
Persona 5
Tetris Effect
Journey
Red Dead Redemption 2
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Mega Man 11
Metal Gear: Survive
Undertale
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Dante's Inferno
Super Castlevania IV
Castlevania
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Metal Slug X
Inside
Phantasy Star
Doki Doki Literature Club
Captain Commando
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

FEB - Chuchel (Android)
MAR - Spider-Man (PS4)
MAR - Florence (Android)
AUG - Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES on Switch) SEP - Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
SEP - Yakuza Kiwami 2: The Majima Saga (PS4)
SEP - Assassin's Creed: Revelations (PS4)

Just trying to finish some games I've started already before moving on to a new one.

Always considered this to be the weakest of the Ezio trilogy, and it is, but it does have a good story. I think it just came out too soon after Brotherhood, which really harmed it first time round. I decided to just mainline the story this time though, and had a much better experience for it. I really like Ezio as a character, and this rounds his story off nicely.

I've got Black Flag, Unity and Syndicate ready to play, but need to wait till the AC3 remaster drops in price a bit first.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Alex79uk wrote: September 6th, 2019, 10:31 am
That game was the last time I cared about any AC game, and I always thought it was somewhat underrated. Mechanically, it's the best of the Ezio games. I don't think it gets enough credit for that. It reached a good balance where parkour had a lot of tricks to it, so it felt truly fluid and your ability to move around wasn't impaired by clunkiness. But at the same time, it wasn't fully automated and still required some level of input from the player. It was also the only time in those games were I felt like stealth was something worth trying, with all the bombs and gadgets you get.

I don't really remember anything about the story though. Even playing it at the time it seemed to wash over me without anything really sinking in. It wasn't for it being too close to Brotherhood either for me. I was already starting to feel the burnout on the series by then, and so I stalled on getting around to Revelations until quite a while after it came out. And then even as I was playing and enjoying it, I already knew I probably wouldn't be able to stomach any more of the series. That has proven to be true since. And I have a feeling if I tried to go back to this one, I would probably not like it anymore either.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

DomsBeard wrote: September 2nd, 2019, 9:55 am Life Is Strange The Adventures of Captain Spirit and Season 2 Episode 1 Roads

Completed both back to back and blown away by them both. Very heavy going and a little bit too on the nose in places but I would say the latter is an improvement on season one. I had a holy sh*t moment when I figured out the link
Between the end of Captain Spirit and Season 2
Life Is Strange Season 2 Episode 2 Rules

Amazing, Had my head in my hands close to tears at the end. Don't know if it's because I have two boys myself or what but how my decisions (all with the best intentions) panned out nearly did me in :lol:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Scrustle wrote: September 6th, 2019, 11:03 am
Alex79uk wrote: September 6th, 2019, 10:31 am
That game was the last time I cared about any AC game
Same here! The series completely lost its appeal for me after Revelations.

Interestingly enough, the story is the main positive thing I remember about it, the AC gameplay formula having already grown stale for me at that point. There is a nice scene towards the end that puts a neat bow on the then-storyline in a way that resonated with me, especially thanks to the fantastic piece of music playing over it.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I can recommend trying AC Odyssey if you weren’t a fan of 4, Black flag, unity etc...

(Origins is the point where they massively changed the formula, but Odyssey is the better game I think, it plays more like the Witcher games, or even Skyrim, now compared to where it was before)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Flabyo wrote: September 6th, 2019, 2:59 pm I can recommend trying AC Odyssey if you weren’t a fan of 4, Black flag, unity etc...

(Origins is the point where they massively changed the formula, but Odyssey is the better game I think, it plays more like the Witcher games, or even Skyrim, now compared to where it was before)
There are elements about Odyssey that I like and it's probably the one I would be most likely to try out of all the new games.

However, given my general reservations with open world checkbox RPGs like these, I still doesn't feel like a wise time investment for me at the moment. I like TW3 a lot, but one of those every few years is more than enough. I'm also not totally comfortable buying massive AAA games with a two-three years development cycle knowing the kind of working conditions that are usually associated with them.

AC also takes a very Hollywood approach to its storytelling that I'm becoming increasingly critical of.

Now, if AC went in a more structured, Prince of Persia-esque direction with a top-tier combat system, then... Who knows? Probably not gonna happen, though.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm planning on playing the entire series, enjoying it so far. I've been really looking forward to Black Flag and beyond as that's as far as I ever made it as the games were released.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

And because no one asked for it, my opinion of the AC games I’ve played from best to worst...

Odyssey, Brotherhood, Origins, Syndicate, 2, 4, 3, Revelations, Rogue, 1, Chronicles: China, Rebellion, Unity.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Flabyo wrote: September 6th, 2019, 3:27 pm And because no one asked for it, my opinion of the AC games I’ve played from best to worst...

Odyssey, Brotherhood, Origins, Syndicate, 2, 4, 3, Revelations, Rogue, 1, Chronicles: China, Rebellion, Unity.
I was just about to ask.... ;)

I haven’t played odyssey but if we are doing rankings I would say:
Brotherhood, Origins, Syndicate, 2, 4, 3, 1, Revelations, unity, Rogue, Rebellion.

I’ve never replayed any of them aside from a bit of Black Flag as I can’t bring myself to. The moment I see that map again I just think there’s more to life than this and switch it off.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 6th, 2019, 3:10 pm Now, if AC went in a more structured, Prince of Persia-esque direction with a top-tier combat system, then... Who knows? Probably not gonna happen, though.
I like the sound of that! Definitely, a spin off game along those lines but with the AC world lore would be pretty cool.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Flabyo wrote: September 6th, 2019, 3:27 pm And because no one asked for it, my opinion of the AC games I’ve played from best to worst...

Is Unity last more for technical issues, or is it just not a good game? I remember what a state it was in at launch, but am hoping they've patched most of that stuff now. I like the sound of the setting and time period, quite looking forward to that one.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

My wife is at 200 hours into Odyssey and it is a great game.