Games Completed 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Games Completed 2019

Post by dezm0nd »

Happy New Year! Welcome to a brand new thread of doing what we do best; finishing videogames and chatting about them.
ReprobateGamer

Re: Games Completed 2019

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Jan 1st - Lego Marvel Avengers

Technically this was a yesterday post - just that whole having to work thing getting in the way ...

This was a 100% completion of a game that I've been playing on and off (often with a daughter) since christmas 2017. I think I may go on record to say that this is the game that best works as what a lego game can be. It has a simple free-roam mechanic in a city that woks because the controls are reasonably decent (compared to the flying mechanics in marvel super heroes, or batman); it doesn't have the complications of lord of the rings, harry potter or star wars 3 and it's not trying too hard to be GTA lite (city undercover and the incredibles).
It's not perfect - I've yet to find a lego game that doesn't freeze at some point, I continue to despair at the lack of a customised group and theres no four player option - but I would recommend the game as an example of why the lego games can work well.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

01 Jan.

Minder - Spectrum

It's hard to know where to begin with this one.

I've got a few new emulators for my next Season of One Credit Classics and I've finally got a decent recording spectrum emulator.

Minder is a hilarious text based trading game where you have to buy clearly stolen items from traders in pubs and sell them to a selection of buyers. All this whilst trying not to get arrested by Chisholm and also trying not to get filled in by someone that you might have sold 50 water damaged Betamax video recorders to. It's also super non-pc, as you might imagine, with loads of hilariously bad slurs and language. In the end, I made a fairly decent profit of a few grand, not a bad sum in the early 80's, but I can't help feel I can do a bit better.

A lot of fun though.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

:lol:

WANT ANY COCKS

Minder, that is amazing as a game completed 2019 :D .
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Jan 1 - Cat Quest

Enjoyable, simple hack n slash on Switch. Cute as a button with just enough hooks to make it a good podcast game.

Worth it for the sale price which is 4 quid.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

OneCreditBen wrote: January 1st, 2019, 3:59 pm 01 Jan.

Minder - Spectrum
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The Speccy (and C64/Amstrad) was brilliant for games like that. I remember loving Adrian Mole, too. Definitely worth a look, I remember it being quite funny as a kid.

http://www.crashonline.org.uk/23/adrian_mole.htm
ThirdMan wrote: January 1st, 2019, 3:35 pm 01 Jan: Chuchel (Android)
Sounds interesting! Just downloaded it
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Grange Hill too of course. Neighbours.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Chopper wrote: January 1st, 2019, 4:37 pm :lol:

WANT ANY COCKS

Minder, that is amazing as a game completed 2019 :D .
Mr Daley?
My names Spider Groat.
Looking for tins of gludge?
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 1st, 2019, 5:43 pm
OneCreditBen wrote: January 1st, 2019, 3:59 pm 01 Jan.

Minder - Spectrum
Absolute banger if you're being honest.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Also realistically my contribution to this thread is going to be niche old games and various versions of Ghouls N Ghosts!

Got a better score on Minder by the way. Made £4000 selling, and I quote, 'Nucleonik Ferkinators'.

Amazing. I must have missed that episode of Minder where Arthur became an international arms dealer, and Terry chinned Colonel Gadaffi in the Winchester.
oni-link

Post by oni-link »

dezm0nd wrote: January 1st, 2019, 5:07 pm Jan 1 - Cat Quest

Enjoyable, simple hack n slash on Switch. Cute as a button with just enough hooks to make it a good podcast game.

Worth it for the sale price which is 4 quid.
How long did Cat Quest take to beat?

Also a more general question, is this thread just for games we have beaten in 2019, or can we also discuss games we're in the process of beating?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

oni-link wrote: January 1st, 2019, 11:39 pm Also a more general question, is this thread just for games we have beaten in 2019, or can we also discuss games we're in the process of beating?
People tend to post in this thread after having finished a game, but there are no strict rules of posting, so no worries.

Alternatively, you can also post your thoughts in this one, which is what most of community uses for discussing the games they're currently playing.

Hope this helps! :)
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

01/01: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [SNES]

Might make playing through A Link to the Past on January 1st an annual tradition from now on. I used to do it with Chrono Trigger over Thanksgiving weekend, but that game is a lot harder to beat in a single sitting.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

oni-link wrote: January 1st, 2019, 11:39 pm
How long did Cat Quest take to beat?
Fairly short, I'd say about 5-6 hours
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

There was a pretty good ‘yes, prime minister’ game on the 8 bit micros as well. Essentially a visual novel decades before anyone in Europe even knew what those are. Captured the tone of the show pretty well.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Completed Firewatch, some thoughts:
Spoiler: show
I loved this game. From the excellent voice acting to the tension building and setting, it all works really well. I loved the ending. Life isn't always some big conspiracy, sometimes you won't get the girl, and you can't run away from your problems. Beautiful.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

OneCreditBen wrote: January 1st, 2019, 7:38 pm Also realistically my contribution to this thread is going to be niche old games and various versions of Ghouls N Ghosts!
For sure. I had assumed you'd be playing only rock hard arcade classics from that area, so Minder caught me by surprise. Thanks for the laugh!
Flabyo wrote: January 2nd, 2019, 7:51 am There was a pretty good ‘yes, prime minister’ game on the 8 bit micros as well. Essentially a visual novel decades before anyone in Europe even knew what those are. Captured the tone of the show pretty well.
Had a quick look at this on Youtube; looks excellent, the writing elevates it I think. *goes off to look for a Spectrum emulator*
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Starting the new year with an old classic!

Jan – Streets of Rage 2 - Sega Mega Drive Classics (Switch)

I had a long train journey back from a New Years party in deepest darkest north Wales, and what better way to while away the hours than the Sega Mega Drive Classics collection on Switch (a gift from my dear mother for Christmas!).

I messed around with a bunch of stuff throughout the duration of the trip, but fairly quickly committed to a playthrough of Streets of Rage 2. Obviously I’ve played this to death on various platforms over the decades from the Mega Drive onwards, but more often than not it’s been for a bit of knockabout co-op fun rather than a focussed playthrough. Consequently I’ve only actually seen the end credits a couple of times and that was a long time ago, so it was a rare pleasure to sit down and give the game a proper, focused playthrough.

It’s obviously still great. Looks great (lovely pin-sharp pixels on that Switch screen!), sounds great, plays great. I might give SoR 3 a go next having only ever dabbled with what was a pretty rare game before it started appearing on collections. I know it’s never been rated as highly but for pure curiosity value it’s worth at least one whizz through!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Just make sure you play the JPN ROM of 3 rather than the US (or both if you want to compare)!