Games Completed 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Re: Games Completed 2019

Post by James »

Spoiler: show
1st Jan - Virginia (Xbox One)
13th Jan - Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
27th Jan - Mortal Kombat (Vita)
3rd Feb - Mortal Kombat X (Xbox One)

Wanted to run through the story modes of both games before April, and far enough in advance that I'm not gored out when MK11 hits. Still, for my money, the best story modes going in fighting games (along with Injustice/I2). Also, the Towers and Krypt provide a stunning amount of extra single player timesinks. Again, to me, Netherrealm are ahead of the curve when it comes to this stuff.

Looking forward to MK11 immensely! :mrgreen:
James

Post by James »

Also, can't really recommend the Vita version of Mortal Kombat (9). It's fine, but the teeny, tiny controls are way too easy for my large fingers to fumble over when in a panic.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 16 - Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
Jan 20 - FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Jan 25 - Final Fantasy VIII (PSVita - PS1 Classic)
Jan 27 - Puzzle Bobble (Switch) (Difficulty Level 4 - One credit)
Feb 3 - Metal Slug 3 (PS4 - PS2 anthology version on Easy)
Feb 8 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Switch)(Vs Computer mode - Normal)
Feb 12 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Switch)(Puzzle mode - One credit)

Nailed it! Only got a score of 15 million on that run, my record from a run to level 26 was nearly 25 million.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Jan - Lego Marvel Avengers
Jan - Titanfall 2
Feb 13th - Oxenfree

This was Trueachievements playlist game for February and one that has been sitting on my 'should I or shouldn't I' pile since it was a Games with Gold

I've just cleared 100% achievements in the game. I'll say more in the spoiler tags below but I'll say here that the story needs a second playthrough to properly make sense (as there are scenes that don't happen in the first playthrough) and I'd recommend starting with a mean or silent run (I went silent), then silent or mean for the second and finish with a nice. Do also note that collecting all the letters in one run is needed to open all the conversation choices at the end.

It'll take three runs to get all the achievements and despite it's short playing time (I clocked a little over 13 hours total), people have complained that it gets tedious and I can see why to be fair. I don't intend to go back for any more runs just for the slight variations to the ending that I still haven't seen (I have seen the 'secret' ending)
However, if you enjoy narrative games, I think this is one to try out
I really liked the way that this generic 'teenagers go to a remote place and have a bad time with ghosts' switches to Twilight Zone does Groundhog Day at the end. There was a lot of thought that went into this, right down to glitches speeding up journeys through the woods the second/third time around and even the start option becoming continue timeline on the main menu.
The dialogue was well done though some of it was beginning to drag by run#3 and it did suffer a little from having a snarky protagonist - I did occasionally mix up the sarcastic response from the genuine response. Having a silent option was also a nice touch particularly as this was also explained in-universe. Some of the dialogue didn't always mesh but considering the different ways that Alex can be played as a protagonist, and the different options for moving around the island, I think you do have to make some allowances there. I liked the pixel art style, though the running animation was more like speed walking which always looked odd. The audio was very well-conceived and absolutely fit the style, and there was always the option of having the radio tuned in as an alternative
Shout out to Night Studios for running an ARG as well - there is an interesting documentary on this available on Youtube and this is the sort of thing that shows when a studio is invested in it's work.
Not a perfect game
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Really annoyed with myself for Oxenfree. Played about two hours of it, twice. Abandoned both times, despite really, really enjoying it. I need to see that story through! I really don't want to have to do the first half of the game a third time, but I think I'll need to!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: February 14th, 2019, 1:43 pm Really annoyed with myself for Oxenfree. Played about two hours of it, twice. Abandoned both times, despite really, really enjoying it. I need to see that story through! I really don't want to have to do the first half of the game a third time, but I think I'll need to!
I finished it despite not really enjoying it. I went into it with high hopes as I think it might have been used as a stick to beat Life Is Strange with in the Life Is Strange show if I remember right.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I seem to remember Josh in particular using it as an example of how writing in teenspeak could be done better, yeah.
fieldy

Post by fieldy »

I finished Dark Souls Remastered a few days ago. Really enjoyed my time with the game and like Bloodborne I'll probably go back for a NG+ run, still need to decipher some of the lore but I got enough first time around to get by. onto Prey now 🙂
Beck

Post by Beck »

Suits wrote: February 8th, 2019, 8:48 am That’s a damn good Zelda game that isn’t it.
Yes! I am now tempted to go back and play some of the other 2d Zelda games as I've never given them a fair shot. Link's Awakening remake looks great.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

15/02 - Resident Evil 2 (PS4)

Both A and B. First action style Resi to give 4 a run for its money.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January:
Tale of Tales Collection
Virginia
Gravity Rush 2
Nier Automata

Feb:
Wolfenstein 2
15th Feb:
Prey (2006)

Things have come a long way.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I haven't been playing anything due to work commitments; I haven't turned on the PS4 in two weeks! Looking forward to browsing PSN later today and drinking in all that good new content :roll:

I did sign up for the Humble Monthly last week; one thing I wasn't aware of is the Humble Trove, which is about 60 games which are available free to play while you're subscribed to the Bundle. The Sexy Brutale, Tacoma, SOMA, and other well-regarded games are in here, which is pretty great. A good few of the games are in the 'saw a passing article about it once and thought 'that looks interesting' category.

Last night I played Hitchhiker which was very enjoyable, and only about 40 mins long. It was slight but enjoyable and something I'd meant to check out sometime, so that was good.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: January 20th, 2019, 5:10 pmJAN - Super Mario Land (Nintendo Gameboy)
JAN - Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Megadrive on PS4)
FEB - Professor Layton & The Curious Village (Android)
FEB - Donkey Kong '94 (Nintendo Gameboy)
FEB - Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

It's about as good as 16-bit platforming ever got outside of the Mario games. Just a stone cold classic, as playable today as it ever was.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I just completed Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, another bucket list game for me. Glad to finally have played this. It's sort of amazing, how, with Metroid, it helped form the Metroidvania genre, and yet how much it feels like a modern game as well. It really figured out the formula early.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

duskvstweak wrote: February 16th, 2019, 4:21 pm I just completed Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, another bucket list game for me. Glad to finally have played this. It's sort of amazing, how, with Metroid, it helped form the Metroidvania genre, and yet how much it feels like a modern game as well. It really figured out the formula early.
It's fantastic isn't it, the CaR episode on it is definitely worth listening to.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: February 16th, 2019, 11:19 pm
duskvstweak wrote: February 16th, 2019, 4:21 pm I just completed Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, another bucket list game for me. Glad to finally have played this. It's sort of amazing, how, with Metroid, it helped form the Metroidvania genre, and yet how much it feels like a modern game as well. It really figured out the formula early.
It's fantastic isn't it, the CaR episode on it is definitely worth listening to.
It feels like a game that came out after the whole Metroidvania genre was created. It's a game that plays like it had the hindsight of it's self.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

15/02 - Resident Evil 2 (PS4)
17/02 - Final Fantasy VIII (PS Vita)

Thoughts on the pod!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: January 20th, 2019, 5:10 pmJAN - Super Mario Land (Nintendo Gameboy)
JAN - Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Megadrive on PS4)
FEB - Professor Layton & The Curious Village (Android)
FEB - Donkey Kong '94 (Nintendo Gameboy)
FEB - Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
FEB - Chuchel (Android)

Third Man from this very forum got me interested in this game, and after reading his write up I bought it immediately. It's the latest game from Anamita Design, and if you've ever played Samorost or Machinarium, you'll know exactly what you're getting. Ostensibly a point and click adventure, it's more of a puzzle game really, where you are presented with one vignette after another where the sole purpose is to try to get access to a cherry that the main character is pursuing through the game.

There is a lot to love. It looks gorgeous, beautifully animated and has some brilliant sound effects. Now, some of these vignettes, which can range between anything from 30 seconds to 10-15 minutes of play time, are excellent. Real genius design, and a joy to play. Some, however, are flat out boring and frustrating.

The very best levels give you pure 'ah-ha!' moments, whereas some are little more than 'here are six options. Try them all. They all fail. Once you've tried these six, a seventh option appears. Seven is the correct option', and this happens far too often.

The game draws its inspiration from far and wide. There were shades of Canabalt, Pacman, Tetris and even One Finger Death Punch! These levels are brilliant, and it's just a shame the quality isn't quite consistent all the way through.

It's crazy, too. And not in a 'hey, we're all mad here' type way. In a 'do you think these guys are actually OK?' type way. It's is absolutely batshit off-the-wall in places, and this makes for a lot of fun a lot of the time. But, there really are several sections that had me, well, just bored. And that's never good.

Overall, I'm glad I played it. It's rare I'll see a mobile game through to the end, so that in itself means it did something right. I would recommend this with the slight caveat that you do need to sludge through some parts to get the goods.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January:
Tale of Tales Collection
Virginia
Gravity Rush 2
Nier Automata

Feb:
Wolfenstein 2
Prey (2006)
17th Feb
Captain Toad: treasure tracker wiiu

Not sure if the Switch levels are any good but it seemed like just as it was starting to get going it finished:(
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

How many credit rolls have you seen? Because if it’s one you are nowhere near finished.