Games Completed 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Games Completed 2019

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: May 25th, 2019, 4:51 pm 5th Jan - Rise of the Tomb Raider (XBO)
1st Feb - Doom (2016) (XBO)
20th Feb - Crackdown 3: Campaign (XBO)
25th Mar - Bound (PS4)
30th Mar - Shadow of the Tomb Raider (XBO)
29th April - Mortal Kombat 11 Story Mode (PS4)
17th May - Middle Earth: Shadow of War (XBO)
25th May - Wolfenstein 2 (XBO)
28th May - Tacoma (XBO)

I really enjoyed that. It’s really just a linear story told in a new way that you couldn’t do before video games existed, not actually much in the way of ‘game’ here. But it’s clever, uses a lot of environmental story telling techniques, and had me guessing at plot twists the whole way through. (And once again reminds that someone really needs to remake Sentient, because that’s a game design that needs to be on a platform capable of doing it justice, and those exist now)

If you didn’t like Gone Home or Everyone’s Gone to the Rapture, you won’t like this. But I think it might be better than both of them.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Starlink :Battle for Atlas - PS4.
(Jan) Far Cry 5 - PS4.
(Jan) Resident Evil 2(2019) - PS4.
(Jan) Shadow of the Tomb Raider - XB1X.
(Feb) Metro Exodus - XB1X.
(Mar) Marvel's Spiderman - PS4.
(Apr) The Division 2 - XB1X.
(Apr) Dead Rising 3 - XB1X.
(Apr) World War Z - XB1X.
(Apr) Earthfall: Invasion - XB1X.
(May) RYSE: Son of Rome - XB1X.
(May) Tacoma - XB1X.
(May) Abzu - XB1X.
(May) Mortal Kombat X - XB1X.
(May) The Walking Dead:A New Frontier - XB1X.
James

Post by James »

Spoiler: show
1st Jan - Virginia (Xbox One)
13th Jan - Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
27th Jan - Mortal Kombat (Vita)
3rd Feb - Mortal Kombat X (Xbox One)
18th Feb - Crackdown 3 (Xbox One)
12th Mar - Dark Souls 3: Ashes Of Ariandel (Xbox One)
17th Mar - Dark Souls 3: The Ringed City (Xbox One)
6th May - Guildmaster Story (iOS)
15th May - Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4)
22nd May - Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4) (Platinum Trophy)
27th May - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (Xbox One)

Well, well, well... After taking a month away from Sekiro to enjoy some MK11, I finally returned. Big mistake!

I was far too rusty to go into 4 straight endgame boss fights. Following a few days of doubting I'd ever finish this game, I did it!

I'm now sprinting through NG+ so that I can unlock the final ending I missed and upgrade my Prosthetic and Skills to the max. Gotta get all those Achievements! :mrgreen:
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January:
Tale of Tales Collection
Virginia
Gravity Rush 2
Nier Automata

Feb:
Wolfenstein 2
Prey (2006)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Aladdin SNES
Aladdin Mega Drive
Donkey Kong

March:
Donkey King Country
Pilotwings
Dino crisis
Pony Island
Ape Escape
Donkey Kong country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Monkey Island 2

April:
DK 94
Inside (PS4)
Pony island
Shovel Knight plague of shadows
Dk64
Banjo Kazooie

May:
Banjo Tooie
Furi
30th May
Observer

Not sure about this one. Given it’s short running time I’m tempted to give it another go.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Root Letter (Vita)

Got most of the endings, certainly the ones I wanted to see including the “true” ending. It’s a bit janky with dodgy translation and localisation throughout, but it kept me interested. The protagonist is a dickhead but I kinda wonder if his style is a bit lost in translation. Either way this is a good visual novel for anyone looking for something a bit different and decidedly Japanese.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Far Cry 5 - PS4.
(May) Tacoma - XB1X.
(May) Abzu - XB1X.
(May) The Gardens Between - XB1X.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I think I've completed Satisfactory, as far as it goes; at least there are new recipes popping up and the next tier of goals are not yet available in Early Access.

Pretty great overall. My original complaints that it was not complex were unfounded - it's not as complex as Factorio, where you could do all kinds of crazy stuff with switches and circuits - but given that the strength of the game is in 3D building, it's a very strong product in its own right.

Final factory (not shown are the oil refinery and concrete plant which are in another valley):

Close up:

It gets a lot spaghettier when you're up close:

Suits

Post by Suits »

Looks wonderful man.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

duskvstweak wrote: May 24th, 2019, 7:33 pm I just found that there a bunch of small things that, together, kept me from enjoying it. It's a very different take on tactics rpg than I'm used to, but I think if those annoyances were cleaned up, I'd have been in a better mood. Unfortunately, it looks like a lot of the things I didn't like stay for the sequels.
Can you name some annoyances? I have some too, which keep the game from being the perfect Strategy RPG for me, but all in all, I think it's bloody fantastic.

My main qualm is that, while I see the advantages of leveling up a whole class as opposed to single units, it also results in me feeling less invested in the individuals in my squad like in, say, Fire Emblem. I also don't like that your rank for a mission and the amount of XP you get is tied to completion speed. I get that it rewards knowledge of the maps and missions and multiple playthroughs, but it's kind of antithetical to tactics and planning on a first playthrough.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Suits wrote: May 31st, 2019, 9:37 am Looks wonderful man.
Cheers! On the first time through you don’t know what the next materials/upgrade path is going to be, so it can get a bit messy. Next time it can be planned with military precision.

There was also no resource pressure really. For example once you discover a coal deposit and plonk down a miner, that resource is infinite. So there was no pressure to move to oil or refined fuel except as an efficiency thing. I had thirteen coal burning plants at the end there.

I think they are introducing trains soon, so in that case maybe resources will run out and you have to go further and further afield.

Finally the map was massive. You get a choice of three biomes at the start, and I just realized when exploring that the three are connected (though gated by things like sulphur gas, which you can drive through or use a gas mask on when you’ve reached that level of research).

Overall, very satisfactory.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Oh, so you built that all from from scratch? That's neat, man.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Michiel K wrote: May 31st, 2019, 11:12 am
duskvstweak wrote: May 24th, 2019, 7:33 pm I just found that there a bunch of small things that, together, kept me from enjoying it. It's a very different take on tactics rpg than I'm used to, but I think if those annoyances were cleaned up, I'd have been in a better mood. Unfortunately, it looks like a lot of the things I didn't like stay for the sequels.
Can you name some annoyances? I have some too, which keep the game from being the perfect Strategy RPG for me, but all in all, I think it's bloody fantastic.

My main qualm is that, while I see the advantages of leveling up a whole class as opposed to single units, it also results in me feeling less invested in the individuals in my squad like in, say, Fire Emblem. I also don't like that your rank for a mission and the amount of XP you get is tied to completion speed. I get that it rewards knowledge of the maps and missions and multiple playthroughs, but it's kind of antithetical to tactics and planning on a first playthrough.
Yeah, missions being ranked by speed was annoying. Near the end, I found a skirmish I could get an A on and just repeated that for XP.
The way "overwatch" works in the game drove me crazy. Since you can only crouch at specific spots, you're best just to leave your troops behind walls so they can't be seen, even though that means they can't see the enemy to shoot when they move. But, enemies will shoot you dead if you even select a character in their sight. So, while my troops might shoot an enemy twice while he runs and stops, my troops are Swiss cheese unless I start mashing the exit button.
Also, I can't reverse the tank to save anyone's life, but that's probably on my terrible driving skills.
I'm willing to accept that my play-style was the problem, but, like how the rating system works, I didn't necessarily think the required play-style was my taste.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January:
Tale of Tales Collection
Virginia
Gravity Rush 2
Nier Automata

Feb:
Wolfenstein 2
Prey (2006)
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Aladdin SNES
Aladdin Mega Drive
Donkey Kong

March:
Donkey King Country
Pilotwings
Dino crisis
Pony Island
Ape Escape
Donkey Kong country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Monkey Island 2

April:
DK 94
Inside (PS4)
Pony island
Dk64
Banjo Kazooie

May:
Banjo Tooie
Furi
Observer
31st May
Shovel Knight Specter of Torment

Very very good. I actually preferred this to the main game!
ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 »

Finished The Walking Dead (get to listen to a new podcast now) and What Remains of Edith Finch which I thought was great overall. Some parts stronger than others but if someone had told me it was their GotY the year it was released I could see why. A really well crafted experience.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

23/1/19 Baner Saga ios.
31/1/19 Life is Strange session 2 Episode 2
24/2/19 Marvals Spider-man
29/2/19 Mervals Spider-man The Hist DLC
3/3/19 Marvals Spider-man Turf war
11/3/19 Marvels Spider-man Silver lining

30/5/19 life is strange session 2 Episode 3
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

27th Jan - Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (Switch)
1st Feb - New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (Switch)
9th Mar - Crackdown 3 (Xbox One X)
6th May - Mortal Kombat 11: Story Mode (PS4 Pro)
12th May - God Of War '18 (PS4 Pro)
19th May - Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4 Pro)
23rd May - Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4 Pro)
26th May - Devil May Cry 5 (PS4 Pro)
1st Jun - Days Gone (PS4 Pro)

Days Gone didn't get the best write ups on launch, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a good time with it.

It doesn't do anything you haven't seen before, but a game doesn't always need to reinvent the wheel to be entertaining. I enjoyed riding around the barren world, stumbling across Freakers and Ripper camps.

The only downfall was that the game does outstay its welcome slightly. I found the whole
military base
section dragged on way too long, and it made the game feel like it didn't really want to end.

On the whole it was a great experience, and I'll definitely go back to it to complete some the side missions, although I'm not sure I can go through the stress of taking out anymore hordes.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January:
Tale of Tales Collection
Virginia
Gravity Rush 2
Nier Automata

Feb:
Wolfenstein 2
Prey (2006)
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Aladdin SNES
Aladdin Mega Drive
Donkey Kong

March:
Donkey King Country
Pilotwings
Dino crisis
Pony Island
Ape Escape
Donkey Kong country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Monkey Island 2

April:
DK 94
Inside (PS4)
Pony island
Dk64
Banjo Kazooie

May:
Banjo Tooie
Furi
Observer
Shovel Knight Specter of Torment
2nd June

Super Meat Boy

I do not recommend having a break from a game like this. It took me probably 2 hours to get even vaguely near the end of a level. However after I got back into the swing of things it all clicked. The dark world and extra levels were too much for me. A step too far.

I just listened to the podcast and was waiting to hear about everyone’s accomplishments in the dark world and secret levels. It was nice to hear Josh and James find them brutal too and that only Darren “ The Masochist” Gargette had made any headway with them.

I don’t normally listen to a podcast until I’ve completed the game. I view it as a sort of reward however perhaps this one would have given me some encouragement to push through a while back when I hit a brick wall.
James

Post by James »

1st Jan - Virginia (Xbox One)
13th Jan - Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
27th Jan - Mortal Kombat (Vita)
3rd Feb - Mortal Kombat X (Xbox One)
18th Feb - Crackdown 3 (Xbox One)
12th Mar - Dark Souls 3: Ashes Of Ariandel (Xbox One)
17th Mar - Dark Souls 3: The Ringed City (Xbox One)
6th May - Guildmaster Story (iOS)
15th May - Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4)
22nd May - Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4) (Platinum Trophy)
27th May - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (Xbox One)
2nd Jun - Sekiro: SDT (Xbox One) (1000G)

Had to blast through another couple of playthroughs to close out all endings, all Prosthetic Tool upgrades and all Skills. Quite the grind at the end to earn enough Skill Points.

Still mulling over my thoughts on this game. One thing I can say for certain is that I'm far less likely to replay Sekiro than I am any Souls game or Bloodborne. Having a single weapon, with a single moveset is just too restrictive for me to want to wade back in over and over in the way I have Demon's, Dark, Dark II and Bloodborne (Dark III less so).
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

June 2, 2019 - Void Bastards

Saying “completed” for this one is really just saying I saw credits. There is a ton more to do and most of the achievements are based on difficult runs like beating the whole game on extra hard, or beating the game without dying. Not sure how much I’ll get into the difficulty stuff but I’m definitely going back in to craft more upgrades. What a pleasant surprise this one turned out to be for me. A pure pleasure.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Far Cry 5 - PS4.
(May) Tacoma - XB1X.
(May) Abzu - XB1X.
(May) The Gardens Between - XB1X.
(June) Crackdown 3: Campaign -XB1X.