Games Completed 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Games Completed 2019

Post by Alex79 »

I really, really want to play the two big DLC packs for Witcher 3. It's one of my favorite games of all time (third, if you're interested) but I traded my copy in. Now, I had planned to buy the GOTY copy cheap in the sale with the DLC included, before realising I couldn't use my completed save from the vanilla release and would have to start again. I couldn't do the 120 hours and six months solid gaming it took me again! Such a huge pain not being able to use the same save!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
25/01 - Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
31/01 - Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
01/02 - SOMA (Safe Mode)
09/02 - Shadow Warrior
18/02 - Mulaka
26/02 - NieR: Automata - 3C3C1D119440927 DLC
02/03 - Race Driver: GRID
04/03 - Bladed Fury
10/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Devil Hunter)
13/03 - AER: Memories of Old
17/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Son of Sparda)
20/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Human)

Easy breezy run through this time. Got all the upgrades and did the secret missions, and S ranked every mission too, not that it was difficult to do that at all. I think this is probably the easiest the series has ever been too. Generally across all modes I'd say this one is about on the level of 4 in terms of difficultly, but this mode in particular is pretty nerfed compared to Human in 4. So much so that everything is pretty much a walkover. More so than what I think had to do with me just being experienced at the game. Kind of does the game a bit of a disservice maybe. I presume they made this mode so easy to get new players in, given how long the series has been gone. But I wonder if it gives off the wrong impression. A big part of what makes these games great is having enemies that actually put up a fight, so you have to outplay them and learn their behaviour, instead of just plowing through everything. And on the other side of the coin, enemies need a certain amount of health to be able to get creative and stylish with them. You can't get long combos going if enemies just drop dead before you can do much. Or maybe that's not so much of a problem after all. I was able to get decent ranks in a lot of fights, even if they didn't last long. I have heard it brought up that the difficulty modes are perhaps misleadingly described, in that when they say this is a mode for people unfamiliar with DMC, it really means people unfamiliar with action games in general, which I agree would probably make more sense. In light of that, I would be interested to see how hard this game does feel to someone coming from that perspective.

I also think I worked out what has been giving me such a hard time getting high ranks with Nero, in this game anyway. I never use the Break Age moves. Was messing around in the practice mode the other day and saw how much those make your rank shoot up. But I just don't do them because I want to hang on to what I have. I always tend to stick with Gerbera too. That mobility and evasiveness is just too damn good. But I decided to make an effort to mix things up in future.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Jan 2 - War for the Overworld (PC)
Jan 13 - Pyre (PC)
Jan 16 - Heroes of Hammerwatch (PC)
Jan 17 - Mega Man 11 (Switch)
Jan 20 - ReThink | Evolved (PC)
Jan 20 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)
Jan 22 - Ruzar - The Life Stone (PC)
Jan 27 - After Death (PC)
Feb 6 - Vikings - Wolves of Midgard (PC)
Feb 21 - Loyalty and Blood: Viktor Origins (PC)

Feb 27 - Book of Demons (PC)
Mar 4 - Vaporum (PC)
Mar 5 - Frost (Switch)
Mar 9 - DarkMaus (PC)

A top down Dark Souls-esque game is a near idea. The execution here is very lacking. Hit feedback (for you and enemies) is often lacking. Sometimes I got hit without even realizing it on some enemies, only noticing when glancing up at my HP. The movement controls are something I never got used, even at the final boss. Your directions are controlled in relation to the direction you are facing, so pressing down would move you backwards, not necessary down on the screen, and so forth. The story is almost nothing and the entire game is about 5 hours long.

A top down game in this style could work, but this one needed more work.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ThirdMan wrote: March 20th, 2019, 8:32 pm Anyway, I can't do anymore to convince you. The rest is up to you!
No that's great, I didn't realise it let you level up and stuff before playing. That does make it a much more attractive proposition.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: March 20th, 2019, 7:40 pm I really, really want to play the two big DLC packs for Witcher 3. It's one of my favorite games of all time (third, if you're interested) but I traded my copy in. Now, I had planned to buy the GOTY copy cheap in the sale with the DLC included, before realising I couldn't use my completed save from the vanilla release and would have to start again. I couldn't do the 120 hours and six months solid gaming it took me again! Such a huge pain not being able to use the same save!
I still have my PS4 copy sat in the cupboard if you want to borrow it and send it back?. I'm pretty sure it is the normal version as my Mrs put 100+ hours in and I bought the two DLC packs for her from the PS store?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thank you for the offer mate, but honestly I don't think I'd get round to playing it for a while yet, got a backlogue of a fair few games I've bought over the last few years I'm desperately trying to clear before buying anything else! I'm going to try to do a full 12 months without making a single purchase. Sekiro will be tough, but other than that I have plenty to be getting on with!
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Starlink :Battle for Atlas - PS4.
(Jan) Far Cry 5 - PS4.
(Jan) Resident Evil 2(2019) - PS4.
(Jan) Shadow of the Tomb Raider - XB1X.
(Feb) Metro Exodus - XB1X.
(Mar) Marvel's Spiderman - PS4.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Simonsloth wrote: March 19th, 2019, 9:23 pm
dezm0nd wrote: March 19th, 2019, 8:43 pm

March 19 - Donkey Kong 64

Finishing DK64 for the second time (first being on launch) was quite the experience.
A good experience?

I’m planning on tackling it for the first time.
For my personal tastes: Not as bad as the internet has made it to be but no way near Rares best output.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

dezm0nd wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 6:52 am

Finishing DK64 for the second time (first being on launch) was quite the experience.
A good experience?

For my personal tastes: Not as bad as the internet has made it to be but no way near Rares best output.
Thanks Darren. I’m going to give it a whirl after I’ve finished off DK country trilogy (on the third entry). Looking forward to it actually as I’m getting some side scrolling platforming fatigue.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Didn't get time to post it at the time, but finished Deadlight (PC) last Monday.

It's the cinematic puzzle/platformer from 2012 that you'll have seen around and recognise from screenshots:

It was the game Tequila Works made before they made Rime; its main draw is the snazzy visuals and the lovely animations, but I rather enjoyed the over-the-top story and the gameplay. I did have some trouble identifying platforms, exits etc, though that is likely more down to my own colourblindness than the game.

Overall, pretty enjoyable, if you are happy to take the rough with the smooth.

Edit: de-IGNised the image.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 16 - Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
Jan 20 - FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Jan 25 - Final Fantasy VIII (PSVita - PS1 Classic)
Jan 27 - Puzzle Bobble (Switch) (Difficulty Level 4 - One credit)
Feb 3 - Metal Slug 3 (PS4 - PS2 anthology version on Easy)
Feb 8 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Switch)(Vs Computer mode - Normal)
Feb 12 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Switch)(Puzzle mode - One credit)
Feb 20 - Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (3DS - DS cart)
Feb 21 - Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Switch) (World of Light)
Mar 3 - Ristar (JP version) (PC)
Mar 22 - Wargroove (Switch)

At least I think I've finished it. There's an unlockable epilogue when you get 100 stars. I think its just a cutscene.

The patch came out while I was going through the campaign but I stuck with the hard difficulty and didn't use the checkpoint system as I was enjoying the challenge.

Wargroove is an ode to Advance Wars albeit in a medieval setting. I only played the GBA games earlier this decade and the DS games in the last 18 months so I probably came into this fresher than most. While the bright colours hark back to the GBA games and Dual Strike, I feel the gameplay choices are more in keeping with Dark Conflict. For example grooves, this game's CO Powers, can tilt the battle in your favour but are not the overpowered moves of, say, Dual Strike. As I said when I played Dark Conflict, I prefer this as using CO Powers had become too important compared to general battle strategy. Unlike the earlier Advance Wars it also removes the individual properties from each commander (COs in Advance Wars), so the only difference between armies is each commander's groove which helps maintain balance.

There are a few new things in Wargroove to help differentiate from its inspiration. Commanders are individual units on the field rather than just overseeing the battle. They are extremely powerful with strong defence. The battle is lost if they are defeated. I like the balancing act of causing a lot of damage with them but also having to be careful. It also results in two potential ways to win many battles; defeat their commander or destroy their stronghold. Another change is that units, bar commanders, have critical attacks under certain conditions (e.g. Archers get one if they don't move before firing in that turn, spearmen get them if they are beside another spearmen unit from the same army etc). This adds another good tactical layer onto unit movement.

One other thing it shares with AW: Dark Conflict is a terrible final level, even if its not quite as bad.

I've started the puzzle mode, which is kinda cool. You have to do something in one turn from set unit positions, usually beat the commander or stronghold though sometimes its just to get to a point on the map. I haven't started arcade mode yet.

It remains to be seen if Nintendo and Intelligent Systems get together and make Advance Wars for the Switch (Switch Wars?) but Wargroove has definitely scratched that itch in a very good way.
countstex

Post by countstex »

countstex wrote: March 10th, 2019, 6:12 pm Jan 6th: Tropico 3 [360][Not too bad to 100% when you put your mind to it]]
Jan 15th: Aven Colony [Fun space age city builder with a little story for good measure]
Jan 15th: CSI Hard Evidence [360][You know what you are getting with these]
Jan 20th: Murdered Soul Suspect [Great AA game, well worth a play]
Feb 20th: Microsoft Minesweeper [Bit of a cheat as the base game only have 4 achievements]
Mar 9th: The Gardens Between. [Charming little puzzle/adventure game]
Mar 24th: LateShift. {I do enjoy some FMV fun and this game surprised me with the variety of paths on offer}
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: February 21st, 2019, 8:05 am 5th Jan - Rise of the Tomb Raider (XBO)
1st Feb - Doom (2016) (XBO)
20th Feb - Crackdown 3: Campaign (XBO)
25th Mar - Bound (PS4)

I’m not really sure what to make of that. Very pretty, some great animation and music work. But the platforming was so light that I wonder if I’m missing something there.

I do like a game where the story is something you have to work out rather than be fed it, and I like the abstraction that’s fairly clever once you work out what’s actually happening.

But yeah, a bit weird. And something I probably wouldn’t recommend unless you also downloaded it when it was on PS+ and forgot about it, like I did.

Has a VR mode, no idea what that would add to it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The way that world builds and crumbles around you though, it looks incredible. I only got half an hour or so in before my PS+ lapsed, but I remember it looked amazing.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

1st February - Dark Souls
8th February - The Gardens Between
9th February - Quarantine Circular
20th February - Night in the woods

26th March - Ape Out

Thoroughly enjoyed this; Devolver are an interesting publisher. Really stylish appearance, great free jazz soundtrack, loved the way the enemies needed tight tactical approaches to tackle their differing abilities and moreso how their deaths made colourful patterns with simultaneous cymbal and snare crashes. Thought the 4 Albums were all great, but the real standout level was the final Single. Won't say why out of slight spoilers but I thought it was excellent and a real challenge.

Don't tend to like procedurally generated games too much but this one did it very well indeed. Can see myself dipping in from time to time and replaying it. Well worth a look.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

dezm0nd wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 6:52 am

A good experience?

I had this and the strategy guide as a kid, was the only collectathon I ever 100%, and, retrospectively, I think I might have enjoyed it more if I hadn't focused on that and just played it much more casually.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Jan - Lego Marvel Avengers
Jan - Titanfall 2
Feb - Oxenfree
March 27th - Gorogoa (Android)

Picked this up after some recommendations for using up some Google Play credit.

The game is gorgeous and very cleverly designed, centred around a simple idea of a young boy filling a dish though a lot more transpires to our character. Gameplay itself is what you may expect from Annapurna Interactive and is a series of puzzles that rely on shifts of perpective and lateral thinking.

I had two issues with it -

It feels a little pricy to be honest. I went through it over the course of a couple of days with probably a couple of hours actual gametime and whilst I know that the mobile game market is very distorted with regards pricing, if I hadn't earned the credit from Google Surveys, I feel like the price was more than the game offered

The second, and for me worst issue, was that more than once I intuited what I needed to do to progress but then had to find the particular sequence the game expected. I remember this from various flash based pixel hunts some years back (Samerost, etc) and it bugged me then and bugs me now. The puzzles are clever and rely on the the medium of a smart phone but the need to make it playable with thumb, rather than mouse click means the input is a little imprecise.

I'm kinda glad I've played it but I think I would have got as much from a let's watch as from actually playing it. My eight year old was intrigued by the few minutes she caught so I may move it over to her tablet at some point but I don't think I'll be holding onto it

tl;dr
Interesting game - just not enough of it at full price
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

The Walking Dead The Final Season Episode 4

So all done and dusted.

A fitting end to a series I have loved for many years. I did shed a tear at one point :D

It came full circle from season one where you were Lee looking after Clem to now where Clem was dealing with looking after a child herself and the impact of that on both her and AJ. It was very well done.

If you want to see how it finished and get caught up (I believe it is getting a physical release) you can go through the choices for seasons 1, 2 and 3 (season 3 is overall inconsequential in regards to Clem and AJ) before playing the final season at the beginning of Episode one of this.
GunstarBlue

Post by GunstarBlue »

The last game I completed was resident evil 2 remake, and since I've been working on a run through of Dark Souls, which I've never completed, and the Order 1886.

I've completed the Order before but got fired up to play it again after listening to the Order podcast.

I've been playing Dark Souls on the Switch, with a dex build instead of a sorcerer build that I usually like to play with.
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Just finished Resident Evil 6 a 2nd time (PS3 version).

Res 6 really isn't that bad a game when you know it well. Playing through it another couple of times (amateur and professional) I realised although there are more characters, it's actually not much different to Res 5 in regards to length, gameplay, bosses etc.

Games are often more fun a second time when you know what to expect, how to solve puzzles, beat bosses etc.

A good game Res 6 just not great. 3.5/5.