Games Completed 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Michiel K

Re: Games Completed 2019

Post by Michiel K »

I wasn't above using guides, but I'm pretty sure I worked out everything in A Link to the Past by myself... or together with my brother. We did randomly experiment with items like the magic powder to get to some discoveries, but in comparison to the NES games there was a lot of added signposting.

Oh, hold up! I remember looking up a guide to make that one dungeon boss appear and slapping myself for not being able to have worked the solution out by myself, as it was actually quite logical.

Not trying to flex a superior puzzle solving mind here, as there are plenty of other puzzles that have had me completely stumped, as my Resi 3 stream of last week demonstrates, but on the whole, I was kind of in sync with "Zelda III".
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’m fairly sure I called the Nintendo hotline for the clue to get the Wind Fish Egg’s Maze nailed down.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Random trivia about the gameboy version of links awakening: if you never read the hint book, the path through the final maze is always the same one. As soon as you read the book it randomises it before showing you what it’s chosen.

No idea if the remake does that, not got around to it yet.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Flabyo wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 7:51 pm Random trivia about the gameboy version of links awakening: if you never read the hint book, the path through the final maze is always the same one. As soon as you read the book it randomises it before showing you what it’s chosen.

How does the game know if you've read a book!?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Alex79uk wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 7:12 am
Flabyo wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 7:51 pm Random trivia about the gameboy version of links awakening: if you never read the hint book, the path through the final maze is always the same one. As soon as you read the book it randomises it before showing you what it’s chosen.

How does the game know if you've read a book!?
I think he's talking about the (virtual) books you can find in the game's library.

https://zelda.fandom.com/wiki/Mabe_Village_Library
Suits

Post by Suits »

Suits wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 4:10 pm I’m fairly sure I called the Nintendo hotline for the clue to get the Wind Fish Egg’s Maze nailed down.
Actually, it may not have been this, it may have been the puzzle before it, where you find the Mermaids Scale.
Hunter30

Post by Hunter30 »

January - Tomb Raider: Underworld (PS3)
February - Lego The Lord of the Rings (PS3)
July - Dead Space (PS3)
November - The Darkness (PS3)

November - Orcs Must Die! (PC)
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Spoiler: show
Jan 16 - Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
Jan 20 - FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Jan 25 - Final Fantasy VIII (PSVita - PS1 Classic)
Jan 27 - Puzzle Bobble (Switch) (Difficulty Level 4 - One credit)
Feb 3 - Metal Slug 3 (PS4 - PS2 anthology version on Easy)
Feb 8 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Switch)(Vs Computer mode - Normal)
Feb 12 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Switch)(Puzzle mode - One credit)
Feb 20 - Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (3DS - DS cart)
Feb 21 - Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Switch) (World of Light)
Mar 3 - Ristar (JP version) (PC)
Mar 22 - Wargroove (Switch)
Mar 31 - River City Ransom (Switch - NES rom)
Apr 2 - Donkey Kong '94 (3DS - VC)
Apr 20 - Super Dodge Ball (Switch - NES rom)
Apr 28 - Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
May 2 - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch)
May 2 - Aladdin SNES (PC emulation)
May 6 - Aladdin Mega Drive (PC emulation)
Jun 16 - Yakuza Kiwami 2 - Majima Saga (PS4)
Jun 17 - Tetris Effect (PS4) (Normal) (Jul 6 - Expert)
Jun 23 - Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (Switch)
Jun 24 - A Bird Story (PC)
Jun 29 - Crypt of the Necrodancer (Switch)(Cadence) (Jun 30 - Melody)
Jun 30 - Motorsport Manager 3 (Android)
Jul 3 - Finding Paradise (PC)
Jul 13 - Sorcery! (Android)
Jul 16 - DJ Hero (PS3)
Jul 18 - Mega Man 3 (3DS)
Aug 13 - Spider-Man (PS4)
Sep 6 - DJ Hero 2 (PS3)
Sep 8 - Katamari Damacy Reroll (Switch)
Sep 21 - Suikoden (PSVita - PS1 classic)
Sep 26 - Puyo Puyo 2 (Switch - SNES Online)
Final Fantasy XV and three DLC episodes.

Between others playing it for the upcoming podcast and that I typed 700ish words, I figured I should put it in a spoiler tag for neatness. Actual spoilers are in another spoiler within.
Nov 13 – Final Fantasy XV (PS4)

A game of highs and lows. The sense of camaraderie and friendship between the party is very well developed. It helps that the characters, with the possible exception of Noctis himself, are a likeable bunch. With the road trip nature of the game, the relationship between the party is stronger than most JRPGs I've played. Unfortunately supporting characters feel a bit underused, especially Luna as the relationship between herself and Noctis wasn't developed enough to feel meaningful.

Yes, its a very pretty game. I don't use photo modes but I liked going through Prompto's automatically taken photos at camp each evening and keeping the better ones.

It has a nicely relaxed pace. Drive for a bit with some classic FF tunes on the radio. Get out near a quest or hunt location, perform the necessary combat or action, maybe get involved in one unplanned battle, hop back in the car, reach a campsite and make camp for the night. A nice relaxing routine.

I found combat to be a bit of a mashy (or holdy if you're attacking) mess. If it was a difficult game, it would have infuriated me. Timing blocks is supposed to be a big deal, but its too hard to read timing of attacks to be useful. There are a lot of weapon and magic options and if someone went deep into the system, they might point out a lot of intricacies in the battle system but I didn't feel it. While the game has a relaxed theme the combat is still a vital part if it and was a disappointment.

The plot is serviceable. My enjoyment of the plot hung on how well I liked the main characters and wanting to see what they were going through rather than the actual details of the plot. Its also loaded towards the last few chapters (the last 7-10 hours) as you no longer have the open world and are funneled down a path.

The villain is great. More in spoilers.
At some point in the game , the friendship needed to be tested and the game delivers. I enjoyed it, even if leading around a blind Ignis is annoying as hell.

Prompto's past came out of nowhere and is a pointless plot point designed to give him some very rushed character development. It all felt very weird.

I'm pretty sure I like my FF villains to be very hammy. Ardyn swaggers through the game like the bastard he is and I love it. I'm not even sure if his motives or aims hold up and I think he could have done what he needed to to win easily but it didn't matter, he was a lot of fun.
Overall Final Fantasy XV is an odd game with high points and low points. I can see how the positives can lead to some proclaiming that its a great game, and similarly I can see how the lows, combat especially, would quickly turn people off. I liked it but I wouldn't shout about it either.

Nov 17 - Final Fantasy XV: Episode Gladiolus (PS4)

It's very basic. Gladio and Cor go through a dungeon. Gladio's slow and deliberate combat style lends itself well to one on one battles, so the amount of times spent fighting groups of enemies is annoying.

Nov 18 - Final Fantasy XV: Episode Prompto (PS4)

After some events in the game Prompto gets split up from the rest. He has a small area to explore with a new vehicle and we learn a bit more about the empire. It is more substantial than Gladio's episode. His combat won't win any awards for gunplay but isn't annoying either.

Nov 18 - Final Fantasy XV: Episode Ignis (PS4)

Although more restricted in game area than Prompto, Episode Ignis has my favourite combat style of the three and the most relevance to the main game. It fills in some gaps at a vital moment in the plot. It also has big, meaningful boss fights. An entertaining alternate (and very much non-canon) ending, not only to the DLC but to Final Fantasy XV as a whole also helped make this my favourite of the DLC episodes included in the Royal Edition of FFXV.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm still interested in playing that, and your write up made me more so. I just wish the full version was available on Switch rather than the pocket edition. I've got too many 'big' games on PS4 to get through at the moment.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

25/01 - Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
31/01 - Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
01/02 - SOMA (Safe Mode)
09/02 - Shadow Warrior
09/02 - Mandagon
18/02 - Mulaka
26/02 - NieR: Automata - 3C3C1D119440927 DLC
02/03 - Race Driver: GRID
04/03 - Bladed Fury
10/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Devil Hunter)
13/03 - AER: Memories of Old
17/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Son of Sparda)
20/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Human)
05/04 - God of War III Remastered
12/04 - Devil May Cry 5 (Dante Must Die)
14/04 - Journey
15/04 - ABZU
22/04 - Journey
28/04 - Lost Planet: Extreme Condition - Colonies Edition
30/04 - Dangerous Driving
02/05 - Final Fantasy XV - Episode Gladiolus/Episode Prompto/Episode Ignis
12/05 - The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Enhanced Edition
21/05 - RiME
22/05 - Remember Me
20/06 - Bioshock
08/07 - Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 2
11/07 - Bioshock 2
25/07 - Inside
05/08 - Bioshock Infinite
14/08 - Eastshade
23/08 - Judgment
11/09 - Astral Chain (Pt Standard)
13/09 - Jettomero: Hero of the Universe
15/09 - Assault Spy (Normal/Asaru)
19/09 - Prey (2006)
23/09 - Leaving Lyndow
24/09 - Assault Spy (Normal/Amelia)
04/10 - Need for Speed: Underground 2
23/10 - Astral Chain (Pt Ultimate)
29/10 - Lucah: Born of a Dream
14/11 - Control
24/11 - Greedfall

Previous thoughts here and here.

I really enjoyed this game, despite its many technical flaws. While I would recommend it, it's more for being surprisingly good compared to expectations rather than being something extraordinary.

But still, a solid RPG that had a lot of good points. The world and setting are pretty unique, tackling a colonial period setting rather than Medieval fantasy. The quest writing is compelling throughout, and the way each faction worked as a stand-in for the various different (mostly ugly) facets of colonialism was pretty well done. But the thing that I was consistently impressed by was the visual and environment design. It's got a really nice rustic, autumnal look to it, with some fantastic scenery. By separating the world in to smaller zones, it's able to have a really tight presentation of the scene, helping every part of the world look great, and like a lot of care and thought went in to its composition.

But there were some bad points to that were impossible to ignore. Thankfully the good parts made up for it enough that I was able to not let it phase me, but there's no denying that this game has some serious flaws. While the quest writing is strong, the character writing is not. It's pretty dull and doesn't have much emotion or character growth to it. While there are maybe one or two characters that are somewhat entertaining, none of them really stand out as being memorable in any way. The central plot is also not amazing, fairly humdrum. Not bad, just kind of meh. The story works much better in the short term than long. Also the level of jank is extreme. I can't even remember the last time I played a non-indie game that was this rough. It's mostly shoddiness in graphics though, which thankfully doesn't ruin the overall aesthetic. But there's oversights everywhere. Clipping issues, poor character animation, etc. It's very clear that this game was made on a low budget.

And of course there's the issue of the subject matter of the game too. Once all is said done, I think it covered the touchy subject of colonialism... passably. On the one hand, it doesn't shy away from showing how awful and destructive it can be, and it clearly has an awareness of the topics it's dealing with. And it portrays the natives sympathetically, like actual thinking people that get to give their side of the whole thing and presents you with a lot of interactions with them. It even at one point does let you side with the natives against the colonisers in a pretty major way. But at the same time, it feels like it walks right up to the edge of definitively condemning the idea of colonialism, but is then afraid to actually commit to it. None of the main characters outside of the natives ever questions whether colonising the island is justified. And when there are quests that involve uncovering some kind of atrocity done by the colonising factions, their leaders always seem to mysteriously be not involved, claiming ignorance. But the way the game deals with all this didn't inspire a significant amount of frustration or disappointment in me or anything. I think it did honestly try to say something, and had its heart in the right place, but it just didn't quite hit the nail squarely on the head. It held back a bit.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I just beat Luigi’s Mansion 3, got a B grade.

Very good game.

People should play it.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Starlink :Battle for Atlas - PS4.
(Jan) Far Cry 5 - PS4.
(Jan) Resident Evil 2(2019) - PS4.
(Jan) Shadow of the Tomb Raider - XB1X.
(Feb) Metro Exodus - XB1X.
(Mar) Marvel's Spiderman - PS4.
(Apr) The Division 2 - XB1X.
(Apr) Dead Rising 3 - XB1X.
(Apr) World War Z - XB1X.
(Apr) Earthfall: Invasion - XB1X.
(May) RYSE: Son of Rome - XB1X.
(May) Tacoma - XB1X.
(May) Abzu - XB1X.
(May) Mortal Kombat X - XB1X.
(May) The Walking Dead:A New Frontier - XB1X.
(May) The Gardens Between - XB1X.
(June) Crackdown 3: Campaign -XB1X.
(June) Days Gone(platinum) - PS4.
(Aug) Wolfenstein: Youngblood - XB1X.
(Aug) Detroit: Become Human - PS4.
(Aug) Devil May Cry 5 - XB1X.
(Sept) Gears 5 - XB1X.
(Oct) Rage 2 - XB1X.
(Oct) Anthem - XB1X.
(Oct) Battlefield V - XB1X.
(Oct) Blair Witch - XB1X.
(Oct) Half Life 2 - Xbox 360.
(Nov) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - XB1X.
(Nov) The Outer Worlds - XB1X.
(Nov) Jedi: Fallen Order - XB1X.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

27th Jan - Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (Switch)
1st Feb - New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (Switch)
9th Mar - Crackdown 3 (Xbox One X)
6th May - Mortal Kombat 11: Story Mode (PS4 Pro)
12th May - God Of War '18 (PS4 Pro)
19th May - Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4 Pro)
23rd May - Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4 Pro)
26th May - Devil May Cry 5 (PS4 Pro)
1st Jun - Days Gone (PS4 Pro)
8th Jun - Blood & Truth (PS4 Pro)
8th Aug - Resident Evil 2 (PS4 Pro)
6th Sep - Man of Medan (PS4 Pro)
12th Oct - A Plague Tale: Innocence (PS4 Pro)
27th Oct - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare '19 (PS4 Pro)
23rd Nov - Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order (PS4 Pro)

Fallen Order is the perfect example of an average game to me. It was fine, but unremarkable. It takes cues from Uncharted and Dark Souls, but doesn't quite hit the mark for either.

I'm pleased I've played it but I won't be going back to mop up the missing collectables or start another playthrough.

One other thing, they really need to patch the HDR in this game. I'm playing on a PS4 Pro through a damn nice OLED TV and everything looked so washed out. I had to turn the HDR off in the end. That's one thing I've noticed about a lot of third party games, the HDR is rarely good compared to games that are PlayStation exclusive.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Alex79uk wrote: November 24th, 2019, 8:24 pm I'm still interested in playing that, and your write up made me more so. I just wish the full version was available on Switch rather than the pocket edition. I've got too many 'big' games on PS4 to get through at the moment.
Well, I don't have any experience with that version, so I can't help there.

Like FF8 and 12, it does some interesting things while also being quite divisive. That general reaction to 15 is why I wanted to play it in the first place. Compare that to me skipping FF13 due to its reputation.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 16 - Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
Jan 20 - FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Jan 25 - Final Fantasy VIII (PSVita - PS1 Classic)
Jan 27 - Puzzle Bobble (Switch) (Difficulty Level 4 - One credit)
Feb 3 - Metal Slug 3 (PS4 - PS2 anthology version on Easy)
Feb 8 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Switch)(Vs Computer mode - Normal)
Feb 12 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Switch)(Puzzle mode - One credit)
Feb 20 - Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (3DS - DS cart)
Feb 21 - Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Switch) (World of Light)
Mar 3 - Ristar (JP version) (PC)
Mar 22 - Wargroove (Switch)
Mar 31 - River City Ransom (Switch - NES rom)
Apr 2 - Donkey Kong '94 (3DS - VC)
Apr 20 - Super Dodge Ball (Switch - NES rom)
Apr 28 - Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
May 2 - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch)
May 2 - Aladdin SNES (PC emulation)
May 6 - Aladdin Mega Drive (PC emulation)
Jun 16 - Yakuza Kiwami 2 - Majima Saga (PS4)
Jun 17 - Tetris Effect (PS4) (Normal) (Jul 6 - Expert)
Jun 23 - Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (Switch)
Jun 24 - A Bird Story (PC)
Jun 29 - Crypt of the Necrodancer (Switch)(Cadence) (Jun 30 - Melody)
Jun 30 - Motorsport Manager 3 (Android)
Jul 3 - Finding Paradise (PC)
Jul 13 - Sorcery! (Android)
Jul 16 - DJ Hero (PS3)
Jul 18 - Mega Man 3 (3DS)
Aug 13 - Spider-Man (PS4)
Sep 6 - DJ Hero 2 (PS3)
Sep 8 - Katamari Damacy Reroll (Switch)
Sep 21 - Suikoden (PSVita - PS1 classic)
Sep 26 - Puyo Puyo 2 (Switch - SNES Online)
Nov 13 – Final Fantasy XV (PS4)
Nov 17 - Final Fantasy XV: Episode Gladiolus (PS4)
Nov 18 - Final Fantasy XV: Episode Prompto (PS4)
Nov 18 - Final Fantasy XV: Episode Ignis (PS4)
Nov 24 - Stick it to The Man! (PS4)

Quick description time. Our hero, Ray, after being smacked on the head by top secret cargo falling from the sky is then used as a host by the alien in said cargo. This gives Ray the ability to mind-read and also a big pink hand sticking out of his head (that only he can see) which can grab things.

While the game's art style is not something I would jump at, it grew on me and I did appreciate the work put into the cardboard cutout element of it.

Gameplay-wise, its a modern point and click style adventure with light platforming elements. It keeps everything rather simple. The adventure part of the game is limited to reading minds and obtaining items from the environment, people and their thoughts and using them. The items are all grabbed by the big pink hand as stickers, which ties in nicely to the art style and the game's title. Its straightforward as far as the point and click genre goes, but its logic is good. I only got stuck once even though I am not an experienced adventure game player. The game is broken into distinct levels (or chapters) and items do not carry over.

The platforming is just some very basic jumps. I didn't miss many jumps simply because the game never tested me in that regard, good too because its a wee bit floaty. There are also enemy agents who kill Ray if they reach him. They're usually easy to avoid but you can also read their mind and grab some zzzs from sleepy agents and Ray masks from other's thoughts to use on the agents that get in the way. There are also pins(back to the cardboard aesthetic) stuck in the environment that the big pink hand can grab to help get around.

As an aside, I used the DualShock 4's trackpad as a novelty for a lot of this grabbing and it wasn't that bad.

The plot is solid. The humour rarely made me laugh but did make me smile and I didn't groan at it. The voice acting is silly but in a decent way. Ray may not be smart but he has common sense and knows everything happening to him is crazy, so I found him likeable enough.

I'd describe the whole game as very pleasant with a good bit of charm. It doesn't have any frustrating parts either. Its not particularly special but I found it to be an enjoyable 7 or 8 out of 10 game.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
Resident Evil 2
God of War
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Prey
Persona 5
Tetris Effect
Journey
Red Dead Redemption 2
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Mega Man 11
Metal Gear: Survive
Undertale
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Dante's Inferno
Super Castlevania IV
Castlevania
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Metal Slug X
Inside
Phantasy Star
Doki Doki Literature Club
Captain Commando
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Final Fight
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
Knights of the Round
The King of Dragons
Warriors of Fate
Armored Warriors
Devil May Cry 5
Crash Bandicoot
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Astral Chain
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

15/02 - Resident Evil 2 (PS4)
17/02 - Final Fantasy VIII (PS Vita)
18/02 - FAR: Lone Sails (PC)
14/04 - Final Fantasy IX (PS Vita)
28/04 - Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (PC)
09/05 - Devil May Cry 5 (PC)
11/05 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PC)
26/05 - Observation (PC)
04/06 - Katana Zero (Switch)
29/06 - Dino Crisis (PS3)
13/07 - Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (PS4)
31/07 - Outer Wilds (PC)
08/08 - Gato Roboto (Switch)
13/08 - DOOM II: Hell on Earth (PC - BFG Edition version)
14/08 - Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Edelgard's campaign (Switch)
07/09 - The Evil Within 2 (PC)
21/09 - Control (PC)
21/09 - Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch)
23/09 - Gears 5 (PC)
28/09 - Untitled Goose Game (Switch)
12/11 - The Outer Worlds (PC)
26/11 - Astral Chain (Switch)

Bad first impression, but then becomes one of the deepest combat systems Platinum has ever produced. Easily amongst my favourite games they've made.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Death Stranding

For a game that wasn't on my radar and I only got on a whim this has ended up being my game of the year and one of my all time favourites. Also a game I feel like talking about on a podcast first since Skyrim.

I think I got what Kojima was going for early doors so stuck through it thick and thin.

The reviews are polorised because if you are not invested in this and it needs your 100% investment (I havent played a single game since launch day for it even though I've had Star Wars Fallen Order here) you can bounce off it so easily.

Will go into more detail on the thread as I have a lot to talk about and digest.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

1 Jan: Lego Marvel Super Heroes (PS4)
12 Jan: LittleBigPlanet 3 (PS4)
27 Jan: Raging Justice (Switch)
7 Feb: Mega Man 4 - Mega Man Legacy Collection (Switch)
7 Mar: Trials Fusion (PS4)
15 Mar: Cursed Castilla EX (Switch)
22 Mar: The Witness (PS4)
27 Mar: Call of Duty - Modern Warfare Remastered (PS4)
19 Apr: Resident Evil Remastered (PS4)
20 Apr: Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES on Switch)
25 Apr: Moonlighter (Switch)
26 Apr: Sega Ages Out Run (Switch)
6 May: Mega Man 5 - Mega Man Legacy Collection (Switch)
7 May: What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4)
10 May: Mortal Kombat X (PS4)
23 May: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS4)
24 May: Kid Dracula - Castlevania Anniversary Collection (Switch)
8 June: Cuphead (Switch)
10 June: Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
14 June: Pilotwings (SNES on 3DS)
16 June: Final Fantasy 7 (Switch)
17 June: Castlevania - Castlevania Anniversary Collection (Switch)
26 June: Kid Icarus (NES on Switch)
26 June: Mega Man 6 - Mega Man Legacy Collection (Switch)
27 June: Balloon Kid (Game Boy on 3DS)
29 June: Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4)
4 July: Shovel Knight (Switch)
6 July: The Castlevania Adventure - Castlevania Anniversary Collection (Switch)
8 July: Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge - Castlevania Anniversary Collection (Switch)
9 July: Night Trap - 25th Anniversary Edition (Switch)
11 July: Operation C - Contra Anniversary Collection (Switch)
23 July: Mighty Bomb Jack (NES on Switch)
3 August: Super Castlevania IV - Castlevania Anniversary Collection (Switch)
6 August: Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest - Castlevania Anniversary Collection (Switch)
7 August: Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse (Japanese version) - Castlevania Anniversary Collection (Switch)
9 August: Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse (English version) - Castlevania Anniversary Collection (Switch)
11 August: Castlevania Bloodlines - Castlevania Anniversary Collection (Switch)
14 August: Bruce Lee - Return of the Legend (Game Boy Advance)
21 August: Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Switch)
27 August: Super Mario Land 2 - 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy)
4 September: Castlevania - Symphony of the Night (PS4)
10 September: Sega Ages Virtua Racing (Switch)
21 September: Super Mario World (SNES on Switch)
27 September: Assemble With Care (Apple Arcade on iPad)
1 October: Super Metroid (SNES on Switch)
4 October: Possessions (Apple Arcade on iPad)
6 October: The Pinball Wizard (Apple Arcade on iPad)
8 October: Sayonara Wild Hearts (Apple Arcade on iPad)
9 October: Pilgrims (Apple Arcade on iPad)
9 October: Cricket Through the Ages (Apple Arcade on iPad)
10 October: What the Golf? (Apple Arcade on iPad)
13 October: Where Cards Fall (Apple Arcade on iPad)
22 October: Mutazione (Apple Arcade on iPad)
23 October: Agent Intercept (Apple Arcade on iPad)
24 October: The Legend of Zelda - Link’s Awakening DX (Game Boy Colour on 3DS)
25 October: Bleak Sword (Apple Arcade on iPad)
27 October: Resident Evil 2 Remake - 2nd Story (PS4)
30 October: Speed Demons (Apple Arcade on iPad)
31 October: Star Fox (SNES on Switch)
Some more great stuff from Apple Arcade this month, though given the amount of games further down the priority list than these that I’ve deleted recently, I think it might be losing its shine a bit. Last two of my Uncharted series blitz’ done, now doing the same with the Batman games - Arkham Asylum done, City already on the go.

3 November: Uncharted 3 - Drake’s Deception (PS4)
5 November: Neo Cab (Apple Arcade on iPad)
7 November: Lifelike - Chapter One (Apple Arcade on iPad)
9 November: Garou - Mark of the Wolves (iPad)
12 November: Joe & Mac 2 - Lost in the Tropics (SNES on Switch)
16 November: Uncharted 4 - A Thief’s End (PS4)
17 November: Sneaky Sasquatch (Apple Arcade on iPad)
26 November: Over the Alps (Apple Arcade on iPad)
27 November: Batman - Arkham Asylum (PS4)
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

Onimusha PS2 - 30/11

I played this game at launch in 2001, one of the first games I remember picking up after exhausting the ps2 launch line up and remember enjoying it a great deal but being a little disappointed in it's brief run time.

In 2019 I think the game mostly holds up wonderfully. Visually the game is still striking with some stunning pre rendered backgrounds and surprisingly detailed character and enemy models for such an early ps2 title. 2D and 3D elements are blended much more convincingly too than Capcom's ps1 efforts.

Elsewhere production values are similarly impressive with a beautiful fully orchestrated soundtrack and some amazing cgi cutscenes. The overall production feels lavish, expensive and nicely polished.

Gameplay wise it's a successful action focused riff on the resi formula. Combat is weighty and rewards skillful play and the insta kill counter attack is incredibly satisfying to master, if a little tricky to pull off. Even by the end there were a couple of enemy types I just couldn't figure out the timing for.
Boss fights are a bit of a let down with the prevailing tactic seemingly to just swap between weapons and spam magic attacks. They are fun but it would have been cool to see the counter attacks worked into these fights to make them feel more tactical. It's the game's most interesting mechanic and for it to be absent in the most important encounters is disappointing.

I'd also completely forgotten that there is a second playable character. Kaede's sections feel slightly under baked however with a more limited moveset and the removal of the soul absorption mechanic making engaging enemies pointless and more risky than just running past them all. In a 6 hour game I'm not sure it needed this attempt to inject some variety. Also the unnecessary boob physics are a blemish on an otherwise classy game.

Overall I enjoyed this replay a lot and plan on diving in to it's sequel soon which I have very little memory of. I've not played entries beyond the second game so looking forward to seeing how the series evolves.