Games Completed 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Games Completed 2019

Post by ratsoalbion » May 1st, 2019, 9:20 am

Another chance to share this interview I did with Iain Angus in 2014: https://caneandrinse.com/iain-angus-bur ... interview/

He didn’t predict Paradise Remastered though...

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » May 1st, 2019, 9:56 am

ratsoalbion wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 9:20 am
Another chance to share this interview I did with Iain Angus in 2014: https://caneandrinse.com/iain-angus-bur ... interview/

He didn’t predict Paradise Remastered though...
Ah yes I remember that interview. Good stuff. Reading through it again it's interesting he mentions a big barrier to doing remasters is having to deal with obsolete tools. I have heard that Criterion's old Renderware engine was a pain to work with. Or at least it was for other developers who licensed it out. Perhaps the team who did the Paradise remaster were in a uniquely lucky situation in that they worked on the original and were probably the only people able to go back to it and understand it.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » May 1st, 2019, 11:50 am

Most of EAs Surrey studios (not just Criterion, but the one in Chertsey that did the Harry Potter games etc...) have long since scattered their staff to the winds.

You couldn’t easily get them all in the same place to do anything now, they all work on other things in other places. You’d have more chance of trying to reassemble the Fable team, and that would be pretty hard as it is given most of the senior people from that team are all doing pretty cool things in their own right now.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » May 1st, 2019, 1:44 pm

Flabyo wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 11:50 am
Most of EAs Surrey studios (not just Criterion, but the one in Chertsey that did the Harry Potter games etc...) have long since scattered their staff to the winds.

You couldn’t easily get them all in the same place to do anything now, they all work on other things in other places. You’d have more chance of trying to reassemble the Fable team, and that would be pretty hard as it is given most of the senior people from that team are all doing pretty cool things in their own right now.
Those were the days. My dad’s best friend (who used to do marketing for Silica shop) used to work at EA Chertsey. I used to play games before release: dungeon keeper, the sims.....tomorrow never dies etc or get them for a tenner at worst. It was a shame it shut down as my stream of EA games dried up. Although these days FIFA is about all I would get from him if he were still there.

Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 » May 1st, 2019, 5:00 pm

(Jan) Starlink :Battle for Atlas - PS4.
(Jan) Far Cry 5 - PS4.
(Jan) Resident Evil 2(2019) - PS4.
(Jan) Shadow of the Tomb Raider - XB1X.
(Feb) Metro Exodus - XB1X.
(Mar) Marvel's Spiderman - PS4.
(Apr) The Division 2 - XB1X.
(Apr) Dead Rising 3 - XB1X.
(Apr) World War Z - XB1X.
(Apr) Earthfall: Invasion - XB1X.
(May) RYSE: Son of Rome - XB1X.

ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso » May 2nd, 2019, 8:37 pm

Spoiler: show
Jan 16 - Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
Jan 20 - FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Jan 25 - Final Fantasy VIII (PSVita - PS1 Classic)
Jan 27 - Puzzle Bobble (Switch) (Difficulty Level 4 - One credit)
Feb 3 - Metal Slug 3 (PS4 - PS2 anthology version on Easy)
Feb 8 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Switch)(Vs Computer mode - Normal)
Feb 12 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Switch)(Puzzle mode - One credit)
Feb 20 - Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (3DS - DS cart)
Feb 21 - Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Switch) (World of Light)
Mar 3 - Ristar (JP version) (PC)
Mar 22 - Wargroove (Switch)
Mar 31 - River City Ransom (Switch - NES rom)
Apr 2 - Donkey Kong '94 (3DS - VC)
Apr 20 - Super Dodge Ball (Switch - NES rom)
Apr 28 - Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
May 2 - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch)

*sigh*. I should like this more than I do. Its got some good level ideas and looks and sounds great yet I never felt fully comfortable playing it. I never got the hang of DK himself. I think the main thing is that I could never judge his roll, which is an important part of his moveset. While I can get out of it I'd still find myself stupidly rolling over ledges. Since the roll has a maximum distance, if two enemies were near each other I'd roll through the first and end my roll right in front of the next one and get hit.

I was never 100% with his jump either, I was nearly there though. I think this is due to how often I had Dixie with me, making jumps a lot easier and therefore harder when it was just DK.

The game is hard. That's actually ok. However the bosses are too long. Each boss has about three different phases. Trying to remember and execute the dodge and attack patterns and going back to the start when you die turns them into slogs.

Multiple moves shouldn't be tied to the same button like this. Sometimes I'd roll when I wanted to ground pound.

I know I'm being negative but I feel I was so close to playing a really good platformer. It just suffered from a few issues which stopped it reaching the high expectations I had.

I played it in handheld mode (on commute usually) and I have never felt a stronger need for a d-pad on the Switch. I could never fully decide if I was going to use the stick or buttons. This may have impacted my enjoyment of the game.

May 2 - Aladdin SNES (PC emulation)

I have some memories of the MD version but never played this. I got the hang of Al flipping and bouncing off enemies and bouncing and swinging off parts of the level quickly enough (it takes a bit of work at the start though). The game is fairly easy. Its graphics are pretty enough but unspectacular. The music takes two songs from the movie (Friend Like Me and Whole New World, that I remember anyway) and had one other stand out track to me, mostly because I think it sounds like an early Final Fantasy (3-5) dungeon theme.

It adapts the locales of the movie closely until it goes completely off piste with the genie and pyramid levels.

All in all it was a nice little hour or so of fun that I didn't quite expect to have when I started.

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » May 2nd, 2019, 10:18 pm

25/01 - Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
31/01 - Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
01/02 - SOMA (Safe Mode)
09/02 - Shadow Warrior
18/02 - Mulaka
26/02 - NieR: Automata - 3C3C1D119440927 DLC
02/03 - Race Driver: GRID
04/03 - Bladed Fury
10/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Devil Hunter)
13/03 - AER: Memories of Old
17/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Son of Sparda)
20/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Human)
05/04 - God of War III Remastered
12/04 - Devil May Cry 5 (Dante Must Die)
14/04 - Journey
15/04 - ABZU
22/04 - Journey
28/04 - Lost Planet: Extreme Condition - Colonies Edition
30/04 - Dangerous Driving
02/05 - Final Fantasy XV - Episode Gladiolus/Episode Prompto/Episode Ignis

Finally got around to these DLC chapters. Still got Episode Ardyn to do at some point, but that feels more like an outlier compared to these, which were always meant to be closer companion pieces. Overall I think they start off pretty poorly, but get better as they go along, and end on a pretty high note. So in that sense they feel right played together as well. If I was buying/playing these piecemeal as they came out I might have been a bit disappointed in them. So, a few words on each.

Episode Gladiolus:
This one is pretty mediocre and lacking in substance. It's just a single short dungeon that is completely linear and gives you no room to explore. The lacking attempt at a story is nothing more than beating some ancient spirit to prove you have the power to defend Noctis, which was never something that felt like it had any relevance to anything else in the game. It was however quite a pretty looking dungeon, having you move through a series of caves that poke out on to a cliffside of a huge canyon, along with some impressively fantastical looking rock formations. Time passes as you progress too, giving you some really nice sunset lighting at the finale. I suppose you could say there's also some fun in it if you enjoy the combat of this game, since it focuses on pretty much exclusively on that. I do personally enjoy it, but I can see why for a lot of people it doesn't really cut it. On top of that, you only get access to Gladio's big sword, which is pretty sluggish and unwieldy. Not the most fun weapon type to use in the game. Overall, inoffensive, but not really especially appealing. And with how arbitrary and pointless it feels, it fits the really unsubtle way Gladio just leaves the party in the main game for this side-chapter.

Episode Prompto:
This one was quite a lot more ambitious when it came to gameplay. This time it's focused almost entirely on ranged weapons, which feel nothing like any of the normal weapons you get to use in the base game. Yet at the same time the way they do it feels very appropriate. If you imagine what the game does to a traditional hack-and-slash control scheme, this DLC applies that same logic to a third-person shooter control scheme. It's very odd. It more or less works, although it's definitely not giving the likes of Vanquish a run for its money. It has some novelty value though I suppose. In addition to that, this one is semi-open world for the second half of it. You get to explore a large snowy mountainous area on a snowmobile. The problem is, there's pretty much no reason to do so. There's nothing in it. You have some "side-quests" you can do, which seem to consist of just random battles that show up periodically. But they just look like fights with basic enemies, and reward you with upgrades for your snowmobile, which seems totally pointless. There's no need.

That said, it does have a couple of interesting narrative bits. Aranea shows up for this one, and seeing her interact with Prompto is pretty fun. They also dig in to Prompto's back story a bit more, which was interesting. Nothing new gets revealed, but they explore his feelings about wanting to be accepted and worthy to Noctis and co. The DLC also ends with an insane set piece of a boss fight that has a really weird twist to it. So spoilers ahead if you don't want to know, but honestly I don't think explaining this one thing ruins anything major. You sit on the back of the snowmobile in a turret section, where you are chased by a colossal robotic worm that is possessed by the demonic spirit of the head weapons researcher of the evil empire's army. Yeah. In general though I'd say this one had a few interesting bits, but still wasn't amazing. I enjoyed the narrative bits I mentioned, but that only makes up a very small part of the run-time. Combat was somewhat interesting for being so different, but I still prefer using swords, etc.

Episode Ignis:
This one was actually quite impressive. All these DLCs were only about 2 hours long, yet in that short time, this one managed to pack a lot of cool stuff in. It takes place towards the end of the Altissia section of the main game, so you are back in that setting here. Except now you have way more mobility options, giving you a grappling hook to zip up to rooftops, letting you run around basically anywhere. It's really impressive given how fiddly it was to navigate that place before. It also has this system where you can defend certain districts of the city from attack, helping turn the tide of the battle that was just in the background in the base game. It also goes some way to help fulfil the promise of what was shown in one of the earlier trailers of the game, where they showed this same battle, with Noctis jumping around rooftops and stuff, participating much more than you ever get to do in the final product. It's not exactly the same, but it's something. Ignis' daggers are also easily the most fun combat style of all the DLCs too. Much faster and responsive than Gladio, and just more involving and cool than Prompto. Having different elemental magic that changes how your attacks work beyond applying different damage types is cool as well. Although I'm not sure on his weird counter attack thing. It seems like you need to get hit to even get a chance to do it, but it's impossible to predict and the timing on it is strict.

Story-wise it has a few really cool moments. Seeing the reason for the big change Ignis goes through for the second half of the main game is pretty satisfying, and it delves in to his feelings of duty towards Noct in a way that was pretty well done. There's even a scene at the very end with the two talking that was actually quite moving. They also add something in that adds some extra dramatic weight to their relationship in the game proper. It definitely manages much better than the other two DLCs on the narrative front. That would have been enough in itself, but then it goes and tops itself by having an alternate ending. While this wasn't as good a story as the main ending, it does go down some interesting roads. It gives you a little bit more insight in to Ardyn, and explores Ignis' devotion to Noct in a different way as well. It's an entertaining "what if" scenario, that adds a little extra flavour to the DLC and was a nice surprise to see them go the extra mile on this when they didn't need to.

---

As is probably clear Episode Ignis was my favourite overall, and I would say it's well worth trying out. Gladio can be skipped and you would miss nothing. Prompto is okay, but not necessary. Doesn't add anything meaningful outside of novelty. But Ignis is pretty cool and actually adds something that feels worthwhile.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » May 3rd, 2019, 4:30 am

Scrustle wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 10:18 pm

Episode Gladiolus:
Don't knock it too much, sounds like it could become a perennial favourite.

I'll get my coat.

MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer » May 3rd, 2019, 6:38 am

Jan 2 - War for the Overworld (PC)
Jan 13 - Pyre (PC)
Jan 16 - Heroes of Hammerwatch (PC)
Jan 17 - Mega Man 11 (Switch)
Jan 20 - ReThink | Evolved (PC)
Jan 20 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)
Jan 22 - Ruzar - The Life Stone (PC)
Jan 27 - After Death (PC)
Feb 6 - Vikings - Wolves of Midgard (PC)
Feb 21 - Loyalty and Blood: Viktor Origins (PC)

Feb 27 - Book of Demons (PC)
Mar 4 - Vaporum (PC)
Mar 5 - Frost (Switch)
Mar 9 - DarkMaus (PC)
Mar 10 - Octopath Traveler (Switch)
Mar 31 - Final Fantasy X (PC)
Apr 5 - Treasure Adventure World (PC)
Apr 15 - Greedy Guns (PC)
Apr 23 - ChromaGun (PC)

A first person puzzle game revolving around colors. You have a gun that lets you paint things yellow, red, and blue (the combine appropriately). Objects will be attracted to walls of the same color and that is what you use to get things where they need to be. Unfortunately, that is the entire game. Things don't really get complex and it tries to have an announcer that is humorous/deadly (hi GLaDOS) but falls flat in the regard. It is fine but nothing really noteworthy.

Apr 27 - The Quest (PC)

This is a first person grid-based fantasy RPG that is every bit as generic as the name of the game. You can go for ranged, melee, or spells and things are poorly balanced. Ranged is just terrible, doing pitiful damage. Melee is fine. Spells rip things to shreds and even hit all enemies in the same square. Mana isn't an issue since you get an abundance of gold and shops have an infinite supply of potions. As for "the quest", it takes about 90% of the game to actually get to it because you are dropped off on the island on the opposite end of where it starts. There is a good/evil alignment meter but it is largely worthless when you can bribe guards for pitiful amounts of gold. The only real affect is a single weapon requires being good and a single weapon requires being evil.

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » May 3rd, 2019, 7:14 am

Adding my April completions to the list...
1 Jan: Lego Marvel Super Heroes (PS4)
12 Jan: LittleBigPlanet 3 (PS4)
27 Jan: Raging Justice (Switch)
7 Feb: Mega Man 4 (Switch)
7 Mar: Trials Fusion (PS4)
15 Mar: Cursed Castilla EX (Switch)
22 Mar: The Witness (PS4)
27 Mar: Call of Duty - Modern Warfare Remastered (PS4)
19 Apr: Resident Evil Remastered (PS4)
20 Apr: Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES / Switch)
25 Apr: Moonlighter (Switch)
26 Apr: Sega Ages Out Run (Switch)

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » May 3rd, 2019, 1:55 pm

ColinAlonso wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 8:37 pm

I have some memories of the MD version but never played this. I got the hang of Al flipping and bouncing off enemies and bouncing and swinging off parts of the level quickly enough (it takes a bit of work at the start though). The game is fairly easy. Its graphics are pretty enough but unspectacular. The music takes two songs from the movie (Friend Like Me and Whole New World, that I remember anyway) and had one other stand out track to me, mostly because I think it sounds like an early Final Fantasy (3-5) dungeon theme.
I gotta know, was the Final Fantasy-like track the Cave of Wonders music? Because that's what I thought as a teen!

ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso » May 3rd, 2019, 6:51 pm

Indeed it is. :D

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » May 3rd, 2019, 7:13 pm

ColinAlonso wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 6:51 pm
Indeed it is. :D
I think at the time I was comparing it to FFVI, since that had been the only one I had played. But, you're absolutely right, it fits more closely with 4 or 5 for sure.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 4th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
January 20th, 2019, 4:10 pm
JAN - Super Mario Land (Nintendo Gameboy)
JAN - Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Megadrive on PS4)
FEB - Professor Layton & The Curious Village (Android)
FEB - Donkey Kong '94 (Nintendo Gameboy)
FEB - Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
FEB - Chuchel (Android)
FEB - Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
MAR - Spider-Man (PS4)
MAR - Florence (Android)
MAR - Where On Google Earth Is Carmen Sandiego (Browser)
MAR - Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (PS4)
MAR - Final Fantasy X (PS Vita)
MAY - Söldner-X 2 (PS Vita)

Fun to play, but rather easy since I cleared the game on one credit on my first go (on the default difficulty). I suspect that much like many other shmups, however, it's more built for high score chasing than the challenge.

Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo » May 4th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Jan 13: Marvel Spiderman
Jan 26: Gravity Rush Remastered
Mar 18: Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
Mar 30: Thomas was Alone
May 4: Furi

A weird one for me, this. I am saving my thoughts for the Cane & Rinse episode but to quickly sum up:started out loving it, then resented it, changed difficulty so got to the end but then felt completely hollow.

May 5: Banjo Kazooie: Grunty’s Revenge

Got 100% of all the collectibles and had reached final boss then forgot about it due to life stuff so finally went back and picked it up today and truly finished it. Definitely easier final boss than the N64 titles! It was nice playing a new (to me) Banjo game in 2019 and it definitely had a lot of the charm and humour the series is known for. The one big change that I did particularly like was that you get to use multiple Mumbo transformations in one level in order to obtain Jiggies which made them feel a little bit more useful throughout the adventure overall. If Banjo-Threeie were to ever happen it is a mechanic that I would not mind seen being revived for the series. But overall it is not the most challenging game and I did everything in just over 7 hours but if you like Rare and isometric platforming, I would say it is worth picking up. Would also recommend to fans of the original game who were put off by Tooie’s size and complexity. Grunty’s Revenge is like a neat pocket version of the original in many aspects but simplified even further. The dev team did an admirable job of bringing the bear and bird over to handheld.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » May 5th, 2019, 9:46 am

5-5 Dance of Death: Du Lac & Fey (PC)

Review coming to the Cane and Rinse dot com front page very soon!

ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso » May 6th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Jan 16 - Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
Jan 20 - FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Jan 25 - Final Fantasy VIII (PSVita - PS1 Classic)
Jan 27 - Puzzle Bobble (Switch) (Difficulty Level 4 - One credit)
Feb 3 - Metal Slug 3 (PS4 - PS2 anthology version on Easy)
Feb 8 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Switch)(Vs Computer mode - Normal)
Feb 12 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Switch)(Puzzle mode - One credit)
Feb 20 - Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (3DS - DS cart)
Feb 21 - Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Switch) (World of Light)
Mar 3 - Ristar (JP version) (PC)
Mar 22 - Wargroove (Switch)
Mar 31 - River City Ransom (Switch - NES rom)
Apr 2 - Donkey Kong '94 (3DS - VC)
Apr 20 - Super Dodge Ball (Switch - NES rom)
Apr 28 - Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
May 2 - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch)
May 6 - Aladdin Mega Drive (PC Emulator)

"He's got a sword! You idiots, we've all got swords!"

Graphically the background takes a hit on the SNES version, but the sprites are fantastic. Al is the standout. His design and animations are so smooth. The movement of his vest (waistcoat thingy?) as it billows a little behind him, the movement of his baggy trousers, his idle animation where he leans of his sword then rolls the apple down his arm (a move taken straight from the film) are all wonderful touches. Even the way his hair bounces when he moves is great.

It converts five songs (Whole New World, Friend Like Me, One Jump, Prince Ali and Arabian Nights) and uses them for about half the soundtrack. Oddly Prince Ali is used for the first level. The original game music didn't stand out to me as anything special.

Settings are pretty much all from the film. There's a daytime desert level, which I suppose, apart from the oasis scene, doesn't happen in the film but its not a big leap.

Now, I went into this game concerned that in 2019, it might play like Crazy Hakim's discount fertilizer, and sure, hit detection could be better and some of the sword combat is a bit of a lottery but the jump is fairly solid so it was still ok to play. Decent game all round.

Ok, I tactically used two savestates. One before the escape level as there are a few tricky jumps near the end. And the second just before the final boss as he is harder if you do not have a decent amount of apples to hand.

delb2k

Post by delb2k » May 8th, 2019, 2:11 pm

delb2k wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 2:28 pm
Jan:

Moss - PSVR
Bound - PS4
The Force Unleashed - Xbox 360 (Back Compat)
Yakuza Kiwami - PS4

Feb:

Resident Evil 2 - Leon A - PS1
Resident Evil 2 Remake - Leon A - X1
Resident Evil 2 Remake - Claire B - XB1
Bury Me My Love - Switch
Yoku Island Express - XB1
Crackdown 3 - XB1
Abzu - XB1

Mar:

>Observer - XB1
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - XB1
Hellblade - Senua Sacrifice - XB1
Tearaway Unfolded - PS4
As usual another small little burst of games finished, I am going at a fair clip this year which is a sure sign I am poor and having to save up!

Ace Apollo - 3DS

I have always loved the Ace Attorney series and this had been on my half finished list for far far too long. Finally finished it and it felt really good, I still love what Capcom do with the characters, the interplay and the uild up. Despite a slightly weird McGuffin at the end I honestly enjoyed it all and will start the more recent editions later in the year.

Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS

Came as part of the Azure Mighty Gunvolt package I managed to run through the 8-bit prequel in a few hours. It is basically a mega man spin off but something that was really good for a bite size half hour attempt and boss battle. It also is not quite as punishing as I suspect mega man is as well. Really enjoyed it a lot, and was a nice surprise considering that I initially played it as a little throwaway thing.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel - XBONE

After the release of the new assests and the X enhancements I jumped in as this was the one I had never finished. It still has the same humour, and the gunplay is fantastic when you find one that you click with. I ended up with an excellent little revolver and AR combo that devastated whole armies of enamies. Plus it is just nice to hear aussie voices in a game, not something you hear a lot.

Broken Age - XBONE

The first half of this I really enjoyed, puzzles were about my level and I came out of it feeling smart enough. The second part however, that was a bit less fun. It had a few incredibly obscure puzzles and the hints were so badly written that I had to consult a guide which was jsut disappointing in the end really.

James

Post by James » May 8th, 2019, 6:25 pm

1st Jan - Virginia (Xbox One)
13th Jan - Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
27th Jan - Mortal Kombat (Vita)
3rd Feb - Mortal Kombat X (Xbox One)
18th Feb - Crackdown 3 (Xbox One)
12th Mar - Dark Souls 3: Ashes Of Ariandel (Xbox One)
17th Mar - Dark Souls 3: The Ringed City (Xbox One)
6th May - Guildmaster Story (iOS)

The Ringed City continued to leave me feeling that, had it been in the main game, it would have vastly improved my enjoyment of Dark Souls 3's story. Gael's personal journey casts a pretty big shadow over the anti-climax that I found the Soul Of Cinder to be.

I'm still slowly working through Sekiro, so haven't been playing much else. I've still got time for a mobile game or two though, and Guildmaster Story fit the bill nicely. A match 3 game from the developer of Actual Sunlight is exactly as funny and sharp as it sounds.

I don't know if it's technically possible to finish this, as more levels are still to come. But, I've done all 70 levels that are currently available, so I'm counting it. :mrgreen:

Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter » May 9th, 2019, 7:04 pm

15/02 - Resident Evil 2 (PS4)
17/02 - Final Fantasy VIII (PS Vita)
18/02 - FAR: Lone Sails (PC)
14/04 - Final Fantasy IX (PS Vita)
28/04 - Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (PC)
09/05 - Devil May Cry 5 (PC)

My favourite in the series in terms of pure combat design, but the level design was pretty middling. Probably a game I'll appreciate more now the story is out of the way. 3 is still my favourite.