What feature from game A would you like to see in game B?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Magical_Isopod

Re: What feature from game A would you like to see in game B?

Post by Magical_Isopod »

A Pokemon game with a living world like Xenoblade or Monster Haunter.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Its been said a million times but the Portal Gun in a sequel to Half-Life seemed like the most obvious, exciting direction for them to go in.
Suits

Post by Suits »

The Nemesis feature is one that often crops up.

A more recent one that I enjoyed was in Hey Pikmin - which is a more specific case to the franchise but one I enjoyed none the less.

At the end of each day (level) where your Pikmin go back to the Onion, instead of going to bed you could put the rescueded/recruited Pikmin to work.

There’s a communial space, to which you can put the Pikmin to work, where they use their unique traits to dig, lift, move and uncover various items to help you in the main game.

It’s a sort of passive game mode, separate to the main game.

It’s very slight and bare bones but I could certainly see something like this elaborated on and implemented into a hopeful main entry in the series.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Gambit system from Final Fantasy XII in games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls for your companions.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Yes, putting your minions to work while you are offline is a good one. MGSV did this with the remote missions to gather resources/skill up your dudes; I'd like to see that adopted more in survival/crafting games, where mats could be gathered while you're AFK.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

AC Odyssey is the first game I’ve played that’s even tried to use a bit of the Nemesis system concept. It does it in a lighter way, but it’s there.

Personally I think it would work really well in a driving game campaign mode. Build up rivalries as you move up through the formula, etc...

The design element of having minions do stuff while you’re offline is in *so many* mobile games, one of several things AAA has borrowed from there in recent years.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’d like to see the mechanics of super time force (I.e. using your multiple lives to chip away at the enemies to make subsequent playthroughs easier).

Imagine that in a game like Dark Souls where initially the boss is impossible but then suddenly you have 100 versions of you attacking from different angles. Perhaps one version of you could distract the boss allowing a different version to attack the revealed weak spot.

Obviously balancing it would be tricky but the rewards could reflect the number of “you” attacking.

I’m fully expecting one of you to tell me this already exists as it sounds awesome.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I would like to see Shadow of the Tomb Raider's granular difficulty sliders in every single action adventure with puzzles, traversal and combat. I like my puzzles hard and my traversal tricky, but I don't care for protracted, skill-dependent gunplay. At the same time I want my shooty-bang leaning friends to get into the games I enjoy, so if they want to tone down the difficulty on the more ponderous sections they can enjoy shooting their way through the experience.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

kintaris wrote: January 4th, 2019, 3:19 pm I would like to see Shadow of the Tomb Raider's granular difficulty sliders in every single action adventure with puzzles, traversal and combat.
Interestingly enough, Silent Hill 2 already did something similar back in 2001:

I personally dislike difficulty sliders for action elements in general, because a satisfying hard mode in an action game should be a lot more than just upping the enemy damage stats by X amount, although I'm not sure how SotTR handles this particular aspect.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I think I'm probably thinking more of third-person shooters than action games in general -- I agree that a lot of games with satisfying skill-based combat aren't easy to dilute. But when a 3PS is only offering chest-high wall pot-shotting anyway, I like to drop that right down to nothing because it just feels like a waste of my time :D
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

kintaris wrote: January 4th, 2019, 4:04 pm But when a 3PS is only offering chest-high wall pot-shotting anyway, I like to drop that right down to nothing because it just feels like a waste of my time :D
...Actually you know what, I agree. Looking back on it, I probably would have had a more enjoyable experience playing RotTR on easy "for the experience" without losing out on much.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'd like to see every game include a mushroom that makes you in to a bigger version of yourself.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Yes please.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

One for the games with collectibles -

Quantum Break uses a 'timeline' that each collectible is laid out along in the order that you are likely to pass it within a level. With that game it fits themetically as time is fairly key to the game, but the idea that you can see when in a level a collectible is so that if you are searching for it, you can pin it down to a likely area.

It's not a map so you still have a challenge to physically find it, but it saves on the exploring every inch of a level for that one shiny thing ...

I think the information could also be viewed by type if you were checking the lore but the default view was the timeline
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Alex79uk wrote: January 4th, 2019, 9:06 pm I'd like to see every game include a mushroom that makes you in to a bigger version of yourself.
Every game with a super crown that turns male characters into-

What do you mean, that meme died with 2018? A pox on both thy houses.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I'd like to see saved data carry over between different games in a series ala the old SSI D&D games or the Suikoden games.