Volume Eight

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Magical_Isopod

Re: Volume Eight

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Pretty eclectic list of games. There's a lot on there I'll be able to give some commentary on, there's a small handful on my backlog that I'll be tempted to check off now (one of those being Evil Within 2, which I got for $6 brand new right when RDR2 came out).

Without directly referencing the full list, I know I'll have a LOT to say about Observer and Nier: Bowlerama. Hell, I would 1000% commit to being a guest host for Observer, there is a LOT going on in that game in terms of speculative futurism. Anyone who liked SOMA should pick up Observer - has some similar themes, but views them from a very different (very Polish) lens.

I'll probably write something very lengthy for Breath of the Wild too, but that one's going to be overwhelmingly negative. Probably the single most disappointing gaming experience I've ever had. And I consider myself a pretty gosh darn big Zelda fan.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Friendly reminder to all that where feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but self-editing (brevity) is appreciated.

We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mainly reading. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can. Also it can take me many many hours (if not full working days) to read and edit down multiple long posts for inclusion. At the current level of Patreon support (which is of course massively appreciated) I, regrettably, don’t have enough time available for that part of the process.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

On BotW, at least two of the team were not smitten with it at all, though most of us loved it as much as the critical consensus.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Well, I'm gonna miss those ludicrously verbose novels this time around! :P

In all seriousness, it makes sense and it does sound like it was a monumental task to cut all the FF7 contributions down to fit inside a two/three hour show while trying to have a balanced selection of various viewpoints, for example.

I'll try to self-edit more thoroughly from now on.
Toon Scottoon

Post by Toon Scottoon »

Going try to keep it tight and right on the correspondence Leon, but it all sounds so nice when you read it I can't make any promises. Love this list. Had never heard of Gravity Rush games and they look just my style. A little worried I won't have time to play them before the show, but it won't be the first time I'm behind the curve.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

It makes sense to be cognisant of the current state of the submissions too. Like, if it's a week before recording and there's like two brief responses, a longer one probably has good value. But as with the FF7 one (where I'm admittedly guilty on the lack of brevity front), where there are already like 30 long-ass posts, adding more to the pile is kinda noise at that point.

That being said, I think part of the issue may have been that the FF7 one was up all year. Perhaps locking it until maybe 2-3 months prior to recording would have lessened the number of submissions. Like in my mind, when I saw FF7 as the final entry for the year, I'm like, "Okay, this must be the big one, they must want tons and tons of feedback." That's just dumb-dumb speculation though, I only started listening in January of Vol 7.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Toon Scottoon wrote: January 8th, 2019, 12:45 am Going try to keep it tight and right on the correspondence Leon, but it all sounds so nice when you read it I can't make any promises. Love this list. Had never heard of Gravity Rush games and they look just my style. A little worried I won't have time to play them before the show, but it won't be the first time I'm behind the curve.
I personally couldn't get into Gravity Rush, but my brother raves about them. Be mindful though, they are somewhat lengthy open-world games on the scale of something like Horizon or a newer Assassin's Creed.

If you do wanna take the plunge, the second entry is quite inexpensive and still very available at retail. The first one is rather pricey and elusive on PS4, but inexpensive on the Vita. Happy hunting.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Toon Scottoon wrote: January 8th, 2019, 12:45 am Going try to keep it tight and right on the correspondence Leon, but it all sounds so nice when you read it I can't make any promises. Love this list. Had never heard of Gravity Rush games and they look just my style. A little worried I won't have time to play them before the show, but it won't be the first time I'm behind the curve.
We covered the original Gravity Rush a good while back: https://caneandrinse.com/gravity-rush-2/

So the upcoming podcast is following up with the sequel.
Senorb123

Post by Senorb123 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 7th, 2019, 8:06 pm
Senorb123 wrote: January 7th, 2019, 7:59 pm really looking forward to getting involved in this community
Welcome to the forum! :)
Thank you KSUB! Been listening to the podcast for a while and always enjoy when the crew reads your contributions
Senorb123

Post by Senorb123 »

Hey all FYI Virginia is on sale on the ps4 store until the 15th of January only $2.99 in case anyone was interested in playing it before the podcast
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Senorb123 wrote: January 8th, 2019, 1:56 am Thank you KSUB! Been listening to the podcast for a while and always enjoy when the crew reads your contributions
Aw, that's very nice of you to say. Looking forward to reading yours in the future. :)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Glad to see such positivity about the upcoming volume.

We just need to keep our end of the bargain and live up to it all now!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Senorb123 wrote: January 8th, 2019, 3:27 am Hey all FYI Virginia is on sale on the ps4 store until the 15th of January only $2.99 in case anyone was interested in playing it before the podcast
Ah thanks, been meaning to pick this up for ages but held off because l don't think I'll enjoy it, but wanted to play it anyway!

EDIT: Boooo! £8 on the UK store. That's a bit steep for me.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

ThirdMan wrote: January 8th, 2019, 7:21 am
ratsoalbion wrote: January 7th, 2019, 11:46 pm Friendly reminder to all that where feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but self-editing (brevity) is appreciated.

We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mainly reading. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can. Also it can take me many many hours (if not full working days) to read and edit down multiple long posts for inclusion. At the current level of Patreon support (which is of course massively appreciated) I, regrettably, don’t have enough time available for that part of the process.
I'm really happy you brought this up, Leon. Personally, over the years the community contributions have turned into one of my favourite parts of the forum but my least favourite aspect of the show. We have some superb contributions each week, and they make for great reading, but unfortunately listening to someone reading them out just isn't very engaging. It turns your otherwise conversational podcast into a dreaded audiobook. So the shorter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

I'd recommend all future contributors to listen to Leon's and Jay's recent discussion about what goes into producing each show, particularly the amount of time spent in the editing suite. We'd be helping them immeasurably by making judicious use of our internal editor.
You say this after calling the community a giant circle jerk and saying the show isn't nearly as good anymore. You're just a vile little cretin, aren't you? Honestly, how do you get on with belittling people like that and then playing kiss-ass?

I have to say that I love the community submissions as part of the podcast. If you want a "four people talk about video games" show, there are literally thousands of those elsewhere.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 8th, 2019, 8:38 am You say this after calling the community a giant circle jerk and saying the show isn't nearly as good anymore. You're just a vile little cretin, aren't you? Honestly, how do you get on with belittling people like that and then playing kiss-ass?
I may have missed something but you wanna cool your jets here Jimbo, the only one coming across vile is you and this sort of behaviour will get you banned, real quick, real fast.

Anyway, Team;

Regards Donkey Kong Country Returns, will this be mainly focussed on the Wii version or will the 3DS version be considered also ??
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Woah there, this is the Cane and Rinse forum. No need for name calling. There are literally thousands of those forums elsewhere.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Re: DKCR. We’ll be talking about both Wii and 3DS versions for sure.

Re: Personal insults. Not cool. Will put one down as a bad moment but no more please. Appreciate you defending CaR and the community but that’s not the way to do it.

Re: Community correspondence. It’s an essential part of the show and the formula, it’s not going anywhere, we just need to reduce the sheer word count that we include a bit. If we can still feature as many different opinions by contributors being somewhat more focused with their feedback, then that’s ideal.

Re: The show not being as good as it used to be. I mean, I am our biggest critic, but that’s just nonsense. The format is unchanged, we put as much effort into the podcast as we have ever done, plus we now have an even stronger and broader pool of panellists.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 8th, 2019, 9:51 am Re: DKCR. We’ll be talking about both Wii and 3DS versions for sure.
Cool, I’ll pick up the 3DS version and see how that compares to the Wii one for a laugh 8-) .

Any excuse to spend more time with that console.
delb2k

Post by delb2k »

Suits wrote: January 8th, 2019, 10:06 am
ratsoalbion wrote: January 8th, 2019, 9:51 am Re: DKCR. We’ll be talking about both Wii and 3DS versions for sure.
Cool, I’ll pick up the 3DS version and see how that compares to the Wii one for a laugh 8-) .
I found it, in a word, spritely :)

In all honesty that is the format I finished it on, I think that is more testamant to the game than the platform as I struggled a little with the controls. I hope you find the playing experience fun though.

I like the list, some things have come up a bit quicker than I was expecting with Nier Automata and Persona 5 for example but I also understand why, especially with a fan base that are interested in the teams thoughts on the titles. The mix between old and new feels about right which is nice, enough old school seeping in there to make me curious.

I can see what Leon means by comments just purely in the sense of having to edit comments to put into a podcast that already has some form of time consraints on the non-patreon version. I try and keep it to a max two paragraphs tops, but thats mostly to try and make it easier for them to read. In saying that I do enjoy reading members discussions of games they remember, especially if it is a nostalgia fest :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

delb2k wrote: January 8th, 2019, 10:38 am
Suits wrote: January 8th, 2019, 10:06 am
I found it, in a word, spritely :)

In all honesty that is the format I finished it on, I think that is more testamant to the game than the platform as I struggled a little with the controls. I hope you find the playing experience fun though.
Ah, cool man, thanks for your words.

I understand what you mean when you say you struggled with the controls a bit. There’s certain games on the 3DS that are a pain (literally) to play and often leave me with hand and thumb pain. Luigi’s Mansion 2 left me with pretty bad cramps and pain.

Other than that, I tend to use the device an awful lot and hopefully with have the patience and experiance to get through any form factor issues I may encounter.

I bet it looks good in 3D too 8-) .