Volume Eight

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Volume Eight

Post by Flabyo »

Origins is the one where they remember he’s meant to be a detective, not just ‘punch bad man’ isn’t it?
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

It was the one that had actual crime scenes solved with deductive reasoning and slightly fantastical forensic tools, yes.

But it also had Ubisoft Sandbox Towers so, you know, tradeoff.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ThirdMan wrote: January 8th, 2019, 8:34 pm That's interesting. Sounds very much like the distinction drawn between the Detective Comics and Batman comics series. Do we know if that was expressly what the developer was going for? I'm quite keen on playing this all of a sudden.
To be clear, even Origins is roughly 30% stealth, 65% action, and only 5% heavily signposted detective sections. I'm not trying to discourage you from playing it, but you should know that it's not anything like a full-fledged adventure / detective game.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

If there's an argument to make time in your life for Arkham Origins, it's "play it for the bosses."
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 7th, 2019, 11:46 pm Friendly reminder to all that where feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but self-editing (brevity) is appreciated.

We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mainly reading. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can. Also it can take me many many hours (if not full working days) to read and edit down multiple long posts for inclusion. At the current level of Patreon support (which is of course massively appreciated) I, regrettably, don’t have enough time available for that part of the process.
Just a thought, but perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to sticky this or even outright paste it in the header of the podcast threads. Not every contributor will necessarily have read your post and some that have might very well have forgotten about it several months from now.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

We had a similar discussion among the team too, I’ll sort it out.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Flabyo wrote: January 8th, 2019, 7:59 pm Origins is the one where they remember he’s meant to be a detective, not just ‘punch bad man’ isn’t it?
Yeah - and the one with an actual decent story.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 8th, 2019, 8:43 pm
ThirdMan wrote: January 8th, 2019, 8:34 pm That's interesting. Sounds very much like the distinction drawn between the Detective Comics and Batman comics series. Do we know if that was expressly what the developer was going for? I'm quite keen on playing this all of a sudden.
To be clear, even Origins is roughly 30% stealth, 65% action, and only 5% heavily signposted detective sections. I'm not trying to discourage you from playing it, but you should know that it's not anything like a full-fledged adventure / detective game.
True, but it did introduce the proper detective mode thing where you could analyse scenes and piece together what happened. Crap description, I know what I mean!
Senorb123

Post by Senorb123 »

Evil Within 1 and 2 were high up there on the games I wanted covered loved both with a soft spot for part 1 being one of my favorite horror games of all time
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I liked the original Arkham Asylum for its tight Zelda-esque map and dungeon design, but I wasn't too keen on Arkham City because of the shift to a more open world collectathon kind of structure... Which of the two would you folks say Origins is more like?
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Senorb123 wrote: January 9th, 2019, 2:26 am Evil Within 1 and 2 were high up there on the games I wanted covered loved both with a soft spot for part 1 being one of my favorite horror games of all time
That is certainly an uncommon opinion, hopefully you make a submission explaining why it clicks with you. :3
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Cox-sempai -

On the topic of FF10, FF12 and FF13, are those episodes going to be inclusive of the sequels, or will those be left for a future slate of Final Fantasy discussion down the road? (Those being X-2, Revenant wings, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns).
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Senorb123 wrote: January 9th, 2019, 2:26 am Evil Within 1 and 2 were high up there on the games I wanted covered loved both with a soft spot for part 1 being one of my favorite horror games of all time
Despite being a fan of all things colour, happy and joyfulness, the evil within was my personal pick for volume 8!

Felt like it made the most sense to do them im vol8 straight after our resident evil podcasts
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 9th, 2019, 7:36 am
I liked the original Arkham Asylum for its tight Zelda-esque map and dungeon design, but I wasn't too keen on Arkham City because of the shift to a more open world collectathon kind of structure... Which of the two would you folks say Origins is more like?
It’s closer to City for sure. It’s not quite as wide open, there are a few bottlenecks in the map, but it’s not as tight as Asylum.

It’s a solid game though, doesn’t feel ‘flabby’ like Knight does, has some interesting new mechanics and some memorable boss fights. Probably my second favourite of the four after asylum.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 9th, 2019, 7:39 am Cox-sempai -

On the topic of FF10, FF12 and FF13, are those episodes going to be inclusive of the sequels, or will those be left for a future slate of Final Fantasy discussion down the road? (Those being X-2, Revenant wings, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns).
The upcoming shows will just cover the main games and not the spin-offs. Playing everything for the show just isn’t feasible, nor is talking about them all within two hours.

Leah is already lobbying for a future FF ’gaiden’ series though.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 9th, 2019, 9:37 am Leah is already lobbying for a future FF ’gaiden’ series though.
Ooooo, Mystic Quest/Final Fantasy/Adventure/Seiken Densetsu would be nice....
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 9th, 2019, 9:37 am
Magical_Isopod wrote: January 9th, 2019, 7:39 am Cox-sempai -

The upcoming shows will just cover the main games and not the spin-offs. Playing everything for the show just isn’t feasible, nor is talking about them all within two hours.

Leah is already lobbying for a future FF ’gaiden’ series though.
I support Leah's thoughts on this. I could easily see hearty discussions for Mystic Quest, Tactics, Tactics Advance 1/2, Crystal Chronicles series, the aforementioned sequels, World Of, Zack Core and *potentially* the MMOs (perhaps someone else can chime in, but I've heard they both have a linear story mode component?).

... Maybe avoid the likes of All The Bravest, The After Years and Edge of Cerberus, unless you can lump them all into a "Final Fantasy Tire Fire" episode.
delb2k

Post by delb2k »

Flabyo wrote: January 9th, 2019, 7:58 am It’s closer to City for sure. It’s not quite as wide open, there are a few bottlenecks in the map, but it’s not as tight as Asylum.

It’s a solid game though, doesn’t feel ‘flabby’ like Knight does, has some interesting new mechanics and some memorable boss fights. Probably my second favourite of the four after asylum.
I felt it got a horrible rap at the time, unfairly so, for simply being coded by a different team. It may not have quite reached the same height as the other entries but it still was a good slice of being batman. I played through all of it, I grabbed all the riddler trophies and can honestly say I had a really, really good time with it. If Knight left a slightly sour taste I would recommend giving this a shot.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Suits wrote: January 9th, 2019, 9:46 am
ratsoalbion wrote: January 9th, 2019, 9:37 am Leah is already lobbying for a future FF ’gaiden’ series though.
Ooooo, Mystic Quest/Final Fantasy/Adventure/Seiken Densetsu would be nice....
Seiken isn't Final Fantasy though, the first one was merely labelled as such in the west. That said... I'd absolutely love a Seiken 3 episode someday. Absolutely one of the best games on the SNES, if not ever made.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 9th, 2019, 10:37 am Seiken isn't Final Fantasy though, the first one was merely labelled as such in the west. That said... I'd absolutely love a Seiken 3 episode someday. Absolutely one of the best games on the SNES, if not ever made.
You are entirely correct, my request was tongue in cheek because the game was called Final Fantasy Adventure in certain regions and it was an angle to bring up one of my most important/favourite GameBoy games.

:)