Volume Eight

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Craig

Re: Volume Eight

Post by Craig »

Volume eight looks fab - lots of welcome classics, a few surprises and a few games that have never clicked with me personally but I’m fascinated by. Good luck, guys!
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Completely forgot to check this part of the forums for the new lineup, it looks great! Some absolute belters in this volume. Sadly, wont have time to get to Gravity Rush 2 as the first one has been downloaded but remained unplayed and I feel I should get cracking on that before i do the sequel, looking forward to hearing both episodes on this series when I finish though. Ape Escape is also the first PS1 3D platformer that has been given the Cane and Rinse treatment so will be very interested to hear the crew's thoughts on it. I am definitely going to replay that before the episode comes out. Also some quite controversial titles in this volume such as FFXIII and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts which should have some really interesting discussion and varied feedback!

Delighted that the Donkey Kong series is being covered, will tropical Freeze be its own episode or will it be mentioned in the Returns episode? Will you continue the DK series into Volume 9?

Also, I cop to being guilty for writing some lengthy contributions to the show and I think that editing myself for future episodes might be a wise move. I was very flattered and impressed you read my entire biography with the Worms series last year but I will refrain from doing novels like that from now on. Admittedly, Nier Automata will make that hard as there is an awful lot for me to say about that game but will try and keep myself to the essentials (really excited for that issue, btw!).

Overall, a very interesting year ahead with a nice mix of titles old and new. Roll on Jan 14th!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

We’ll cover Tropical Freeze - and quite probably Jungle Beat - in 2020. That’s the plan anyway.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Btw, will we get official confirmation of the list soon? I ask because I'm getting a bit confused about the Donkey Kong games, for example. You've confirmed both Donkey Kong Country trilogy and DKCR, but Darren also mentioned Donkey Kong 64 in the other thread.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Ooh, now DK64 is the one I am REALLY interested in ye covering! That beast of a game will definitely need its own episode. It is easily Rare"s most divisive/controversial game of the N64 era and would make for some good listening to hear the panel's thoughts on this one.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

DK & DK 94, DKC trilogy, DK64 and DKCR are all being covered in this volume.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, I picked up on the fact that DK94 was being covered today, when I heard you say so in the GameBoy special.

Which was rad BTW.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

I take it DK64 will be in the DKC episode, then? Will it be more of a "Rare era DK" episode? Because if so, that will be a lot of games to cover in one show! Lots to say about all of those titles, honestly!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Jobobonobo wrote: January 9th, 2019, 10:57 pm I take it DK64 will be in the DKC episode, then? Will it be more of a "Rare era DK" episode? Because if so, that will be a lot of games to cover in one show! Lots to say about all of those titles, honestly!
No, DKC trilogy is one podcast, DK64 is another.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Having adored Banjo Kazooie, I could never understand at the time why playing DK64 felt like such a chore. I ploughed through it to completion but the whole time in the back of my head was 'why am I not enjoying this?'.

I had the exact same experience with Banjo Tooie.

I think it taught me an important lesson about the importance of brevity in game design. Sometimes less really is more.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Suits wrote: January 9th, 2019, 9:46 am
ratsoalbion wrote: January 9th, 2019, 9:37 am Leah is already lobbying for a future FF ’gaiden’ series though.
Ooooo, Mystic Quest/Final Fantasy/Adventure/Seiken Densetsu would be nice....
I would love them to review the other Mana games besides Secret, but I don't think Legend of Mana would get viewed very favourably. :/

Also, are both parts of MGS V getting reviewed or just the "main" game.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I legit keep forgetting there ARE Mana games after Seiken Densetsu 3. Which makes it all the more perplexing SD3 has never officially come out in the west. It's the best game in the series, hands down, but most people don't even know it exists. Same deal with Terranigma. Those two games are basically the two best RPGs on the SNES, but never released in North America.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Suits wrote: January 9th, 2019, 9:46 am
ratsoalbion wrote: January 9th, 2019, 9:37 am Leah is already lobbying for a future FF ’gaiden’ series though.
Ooooo, Mystic Quest/Final Fantasy/Adventure/Seiken Densetsu would be nice....
Tactics!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Will the podcast games folder be filled with threads like the last couple of years or will they just come in one at a time? Also will the volume 8 listing thread go up in the volume 8 folder? Just makes it easier to plan what to to play and when :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The podcast games folder will be filled with threads in due course, although some of the shows are already in the can.

I'm sure Jay will also add the list to the site here as usual:
https://caneandrinse.com/full-podcast-listing/
Senorb123

Post by Senorb123 »

dezm0nd wrote: January 9th, 2019, 7:42 am
Senorb123 wrote: January 9th, 2019, 2:26 am Evil Within 1 and 2 were high up there on the games I wanted covered loved both with a soft spot for part 1 being one of my favorite horror games of all time
Despite being a fan of all things colour, happy and joyfulness, the evil within was my personal pick for volume 8!

Felt like it made the most sense to do them im vol8 straight after our resident evil podcasts
Thank you dezm0nd. I will be replaying the 1st a few times before the podcast absolutely love it can't wait
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

KissMammal wrote: January 10th, 2019, 1:02 am Having adored Banjo Kazooie, I could never understand at the time why playing DK64 felt like such a chore. I ploughed through it to completion but the whole time in the back of my head was 'why am I not enjoying this?'.

I had the exact same experience with Banjo Tooie.

I think it taught me an important lesson about the importance of brevity in game design. Sometimes less really is more.
That is funny because while I agree with you on DK64, I really appreciated what Banjo Tooie set out to do. The interconnected levels with intricate puzzles where your actions in one world influence what happens in another along with going back to previous areas when you have new abilities to get jiggies was an interesting combination of a collectathon with Metroidvania elements. While Kazooie has greater pick and play replayability for doing speedruns through levels, Tooie demands a different mindset; the entire game is almost one giant level which opens up the further you play it. So if you can't finish a level, just soldier on until you unlock a new move or level and then the pieces should fall together. I love the first game for its simplicity, the second for its complexity and they are easily among my favourite 3D platformers of all time, honestly. I, however, completely understand if someone could be turned off by the large levels and more intricate jiggy missions. It is a game that is definitely not for everybody in that regard but with the exception of a few annoying jiggies (Canary Mary!!! :x ) this was always a game I enjoyed coming back to and replaying.

DK64 on the other hand? Played it once, never wanted to touch it again. I will not go too in depth on its many flaws (will save that for the episode itself) but the usual complaints about it being too big and too much to collect are honestly the LEAST of that games problems, IMO. It really should not have been a Banjo type collectathon at all and should have played more to the strengths of the DKC games. Maybe it being a more Crash Bandicoot type action platformer would have suited the character and the series move to 3D.

Oh also if you prefer your Banjo games to be short and sweet, have you ever tried the GBA title, Grunty's Revenge? I have to say that they did a good job bringing the bear and bird to a handheld and it has been a pretty fun adventure so far with the typical charm and humour of the series. Would honestly recommend it if you want something more akin to the original BK.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Gruntys Revenge is good if a little hollow compared to the first game.

Agreed with Tooie and DK64 points but will save them for the podcast later in the year
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

Put me down in the "like DK64, don't like Tooie" column.

Just don't ask me to explain why.

(okay, I'll explain why: Tooie had too much Stuff™ to do, and while it's true that DK64 had a lot of Stuff™ in it too, it was really only hampered by the need to switch between Kongs at Kong Barrels, while Tooie had like five different kinds of Kong barrels to deal with)
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

I can see what you mean, what with certain areas being shut off to transformations, Mumbo-Jumbo, Banjo solo, etc. I suppose why it did not bother me so much was the fact that I could pick up any item as any character in contrast to say, opening a switch as Diddy and then go back and collect the bananas with Lanky. I think it is the colour coded collectables locking all characters but one out that seemed to be a point of contention for many.

Have to say liking DK64 but not Tooie is not an opinion I come across often. It is one of those things where if you like one, you usually dig the other so I have a feeling that feedback is going to be quite interesting and varied for the DK64 show!