Volume Eight

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Simonsloth

Re: Volume Eight

Post by Simonsloth »

delb2k wrote: January 8th, 2019, 10:38 am I can see what Leon means by comments just purely in the sense of having to edit comments to put into a podcast that already has some form of time consraints on the non-patreon version. I try and keep it to a max two paragraphs tops, but thats mostly to try and make it easier for them to read. In saying that I do enjoy reading members discussions of games they remember, especially if it is a nostalgia fest :)
Guilty as charged. I have been writing a lot so apologies particularly given some of my points aren’t perhaps as well articulated as others but have still been read out. I don’t think it’s the case but I hope you don’t feel obiliged to read everything out. I know I’m awesome and all but I won’t be offended if you don’t read my every word haha!

My aim this year will be to focus on an area of the game or an anecdote rather than write a post full of repetitive praise. I say that now knowing I have already broken my own rules in the first 2 podcasts!

Really really impressed with the list. The thought that must go into not just the list but the order in which the games are tackled must be exhausting. The balance of old and new is excellent plus the weighting of shorter games in between behemoths is well considered. Although saying that I’m not sure if dark souls 3, nier and breath of the wild can be done in time. If I’d had the list 6 months ago I would have spared from playing star Fox adventures and alien colonial marines haha!

No resident evil this year so what are you going to do with your time KSub?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Simonsloth wrote: January 8th, 2019, 11:20 am No resident evil this year so what are you going to do with your time KSub?
Well there's already the RE2make rearing its ugly head around the corner, which means at least a few more months of moaning if all goes well. Don't count me out just yet.

Also, Dino Crisis! I'm sure I can smuggle in some more RE dogmatism into that one.

Then I'm gonna need to articulate my thoughts on MGSV properly. Currently 26.000 words deep in my home-cooked diss and just editing all this raw malice down to a few paragraphs should keep me busy until mid-June, at least.

By the time I'm done with that, it'll have been way too late to contribute to the BotW show, but I'll still have to play through it before listening to the show - there goes another month.

I'll see how the rest of the year is shaping up by then. ;)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m looking forward to your Dino Crisis analysis which I know will be typically robust. I need to dig out my copy from somewhere and I’m hoping I didn’t do something stupid like sell or trade it in.

(Also I think this was my suggestion to the list so I’m pretty delighted)
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Feedback from others cordially received. I crossed a line, and I will treat the forums more like...... a place where one is to practice gentlemanly decorum at all times? Can't think of an example off-hand. I like the lot of you, scars and all, so I made an overly emotional response. Lessons learned.

As for DKCR, I actually slightly preferred the 3DS version, as I found some of the motion-controlled actions like slamming the ground to be somewhat unreliable on Wii. The DKCR titles never really clicked with me nearly as much as the original trilogy, but I do think I can say one will not have a BAD experience with either version. They're well-made and flashy, and even the 3DS version is a visual charmer.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'd love to replay Dino Crisis, but short of sourcing an original copy and playing it on my PS3 I'm not sure how to go about it. Has it ever come out on anything else?

EDIT: Aha, Wikipedia suggests it was released for PSN. How did I miss that!? I've been wanting to replay this for years! Wonder how it handles on Vita, if its even available. I know some PS1 classics weren't able to be played on Vita.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It’s not available on EU PSN, so you’ll need a US account (full speed version though).
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 8th, 2019, 1:12 pm It’s not available on EU PSN, so you’ll need a US account (full speed version though).
If anyone wants to know how to do this drop me a PM. It is a pain in the bum. Basically my Vita is just a Dino Crisis machine now :D
TheEmailer

Post by TheEmailer »

ThirdMan wrote: January 8th, 2019, 7:21 am
ratsoalbion wrote: January 7th, 2019, 11:46 pm Friendly reminder to all that where feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but self-editing (brevity) is appreciated.

We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mainly reading. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can. Also it can take me many many hours (if not full working days) to read and edit down multiple long posts for inclusion. At the current level of Patreon support (which is of course massively appreciated) I, regrettably, don’t have enough time available for that part of the process.
I'm really happy you brought this up, Leon. Personally, over the years the community contributions have turned into one of my favourite parts of the forum but my least favourite aspect of the show. We have some superb contributions each week, and they make for great reading, but unfortunately listening to someone reading them out just isn't very engaging. It turns your otherwise conversational podcast into a dreaded audiobook. So the shorter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

I'd recommend all future contributors to listen to Leon's and Jay's recent discussion about what goes into producing each show, particularly the amount of time spent in the editing suite. We'd be helping them immeasurably by making judicious use of our internal editor.
I always try (and mostly fail) to be brief. I think also I try and have each para as a somewhat self contained comment on one aspect of the game. The the host can pick out one that's relevant to the running order whilst leaving out the rest of my waffle.
I like it best when user feedback is in the normal flow of content, so when talking on gameplay mention magical_isopod on gameplay. Rather then a dump of listener feedback at the end
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

We generally try to do that as much as possible, but interweaving every piece adds a lot of prep time, plus some posts just don’t work that way.
Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

Will you be covering just the first ape escape, or a more general overview of the franchise?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Mr Ixolite wrote: January 8th, 2019, 2:36 pm Will you be covering just the first ape escape, or a more general overview of the franchise?
Just the original for the upcoming show. We may return to the series in the future though (I have a lot of affection for the second game in particular, and an up-rezzed version is available on PS4).
Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 8th, 2019, 2:41 pm
Mr Ixolite wrote: January 8th, 2019, 2:36 pm Will you be covering just the first ape escape, or a more general overview of the franchise?
Just the original for the upcoming show. We may return to the series in the future though (I have a lot of affection for the second game in particular, and an up-rezzed version is available on PS4).
The second one is possibly my favourite as well; its certainly the one I've sunk the most hours into, courtesy of (Lets play) Monkey Football (!)
delb2k

Post by delb2k »

Alex79uk wrote: January 8th, 2019, 1:05 pm I'd love to replay Dino Crisis, but short of sourcing an original copy and playing it on my PS3 I'm not sure how to go about it. Has it ever come out on anything else?

EDIT: Aha, Wikipedia suggests it was released for PSN. How did I miss that!? I've been wanting to replay this for years! Wonder how it handles on Vita, if its even available. I know some PS1 classics weren't able to be played on Vita.
If I am going to play it it will be time to dust off my old PS2. Which is OK because I am really tempted to play through Gregory Horror Show and have myself a little bit of old school puzzling.

Looking at the list I may need to grab some Wii U virtual console titles for this year...
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

delb2k wrote: January 8th, 2019, 2:50 pm
Alex79uk wrote: January 8th, 2019, 1:05 pm I'd love to replay Dino Crisis, but short of sourcing an original copy and playing it on my PS3 I'm not sure how to go about it. Has it ever come out on anything else?

If I am going to play it it will be time to dust off my old PS2. Which is OK because I am really tempted to play through Gregory Horror Show and have myself a little bit of old school puzzling.

Looking at the list I may need to grab some Wii U virtual console titles for this year...
I’d hold off that Gregory Horror Show playthrough as I’m hoping to mention it enough times this year that subconsciously one of the team will take that on and choose it for next year.

Leon has namedropped it a few times over the years so I’m holding out hope. It’s got more chance than my 20th century FMV adventure game special idea. Once all the consoles are out of the way it’s the perfect follow up special to get the internet buzzing.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Have really enjoyed going through the last 5 pages of posts!

From teaser reveal, through some excellent sleuthing and guess-work, excitement at the final list, the bit about audience contributions and the weird part where it got a bit aggro for a minute.....a fun read!

For me - looks like a list of games that'll make for some really interesting shows. Not a massive amount of games I've actually played in there (certainly to completion) and a number that are sat in my backlog, so if I'm going to make much of a contribution to any shows I need to get my arse in gear :roll:
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: January 8th, 2019, 4:22 pm Have really enjoyed going through the last 5 pages of posts!

From teaser reveal, through some excellent sleuthing and guess-work, excitement at the final list, the bit about audience contributions and the weird part where it got a bit aggro for a minute.....a fun read!

For me - looks like a list of games that'll make for some really interesting shows. Not a massive amount of games I've actually played in there (certainly to completion) and a number that are sat in my backlog, so if I'm going to make much of a contribution to any shows I need to get my arse in gear :roll:
Yeah, I have to get to Final Fantasy XIII and Prey (2017) before they cover them! There's a few other, smaller games I think I can get to, but, if not, I'll have them to listen to soon after!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m delighted because in a way cane and rinse has saved me money as all the games I hadn’t bought but was tempted by are now heavily reduced (except for Zelda which is stupidly expensive still).
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

Oh, was that Batman splash Arkham Origins? I thought it was Arkham Knight.

I'm glad, though, Arkham Origins doesn't deserve to be ignored (and Knight treats it as canon anyway).
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Origins it is. We may yet cover Knight at some stage.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 8th, 2019, 7:08 pm Origins it is. We may yet cover Knight at some stage.
Presumed it was Knight!. Delighted as Origins is my favourite in the series