Volume Eight

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Magical_Isopod

Re: Volume Eight

Post by Magical_Isopod »

There's something likable about DK64... It has that uniquely Rare mix of euphoria and melancholy in its core design. But I find it really hasn't aged well at all in terms of controls and mechanics... I think the original DKC games will hold up pretty much forever, but DK64 probably won't be remembered much longer.
Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor »

I've been periodically spying on the "podcast discussion" section to see if there was going to be a list of games for this year, but I only just spotted this thread. D'oh!
Looks like a great selection of games. Maybe I'll have to finally finish Monkey Island 2.
Am I imagining that there is a higher proportion of "recent" games on the list than in previous years? I'm not complaining, it still seems like a good mix of stuff.
Happy New Volume everyone!
Craig

Post by Craig »

Seems same as always to me - though depends on what you consider recent!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Nupraptor wrote: January 13th, 2019, 8:13 am I've been periodically spying on the "podcast discussion" section to see if there was going to be a list of games for this year
This is secretly my favourite thing the community does. I often play games right before the public reveal to see if anyones spying on gamertags for clues whilst throwing in a couple of red herrings, too
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’d have had money on some sort of Castlevania theme this year, having clocked Josh playing them a few months ago :lol: .

Whenever I see a member of the team playing something a bit out of left-field and older, I often sub-consciously wonder if it’ll be on the next list.

I thought it a few years ago with Resident Evil and that appeared !!!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Issue 382 is Final Fantasy XII, no?

Edit: Nevermind, solved! :P
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Wooooo party time, threads are live!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Alex79uk wrote: January 13th, 2019, 2:34 pm Wooooo party time, threads are live!
I'm just happy that none of the Vol. 8 games that match my backlog occur until halfway on down the year. X: Got a sneaking suspicion Jan/Feb releases will have me occupied til end of March.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

*sees Furi*

I shall consider that incentive to speedrun it or go for the S rank when it comes around.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

With Black Flag and Monkey Island 2 in the list, I've just realised that you're covering some of the best pirate games of all time this year.

Looking forward to completing the set in a future volume -- Curse of Monkey Island, Sid Meier's Pirates and though I hate to admit it, Sea of Thieves...
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Yes mate
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

So here's my final list of CaR Play-Alongs. I'll be streaming these on Twitch (twitch.tv/PyramidHeadcrab if you wanna follow or watch the VODs), so for those who don't have access to or don't want to buy these games, you can totes get them off my channel if you so desire.

Aladdin (Super Famicom verion, because it was cheaper - haven't played this game since I was like 10)
Dino Crisis (PS1 version, replay)
Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age (pretty much a blind play)
Final Fantasy XIII (I bounced on this one after 2-3 hours, but a Sound of Play episode with Charlotte Cutts(?) convinced me to retry)
The Evil Within 2 (totally blind, missed the first one)
INSIDE (totally blind, though I did play Limbo)
maaaaaaaaaybe some DKC2/3 if I can be quick on the Final Fantasies.

Funny story about FF13 - I had bought a copy at FF13-2 at the wonderful A&C Games in Toronto, but the cashier and I were flirting and she accidentally gave me a copy of FF13 instead... I didn't wanna make trouble because she was an absolute sweetheart, so I just bought a disc-only copy of 13-2 on eBay. I went to trade in FF13 TWICE to both EB Games and Microplay, but the EB Games had an issue processing trades that day (which, as a former employee, I can confirm happens - some glitch with the morning price change stickers), and Microplay just didn't want it because they had too many copies.

And THEN I listened to that Sound of Play episode - so maybe it's fate. Isn't fate a theme of FF13? Weird, fam.

I'm also working on a schedule of every major stream I wanna do this year, and I will post that sooooooon... I know Front Mission: Gun Hazard and Tactics Ogre are locks. After that, I am not too sure. Going through backlog now and trying to create reasonably permissive schedules.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

kintaris wrote: January 15th, 2019, 11:56 am With Black Flag and Monkey Island 2 in the list, I've just realised that you're covering some of the best pirate games of all time this year.

Looking forward to completing the set in a future volume -- Curse of Monkey Island, Sid Meier's Pirates and though I hate to admit it, Sea of Thieves...
I'd LOVE for someone to like Rockstar to make a proper open world pirate game some day. It seems like a genre that is ripe for videogame possibilities, but so few ever get made. Black Flag is the closest thing we have, but I thought it was kind of good despite itself and was bogged down with a lot of very clunky non-piratey very Assassins's Creedy stuff (the janky stealth stuff, the truly hopeless first person sci fi bits).
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

KissMammal wrote: January 16th, 2019, 10:35 pm
kintaris wrote: January 15th, 2019, 11:56 am With Black Flag and Monkey Island 2 in the list, I've just realised that you're covering some of the best pirate games of all time this year.

I'd LOVE for someone to like Rockstar to make a proper open world pirate game some day. It seems like a genre that is ripe for videogame possibilities, but so few ever get made. Black Flag is the closest thing we have, but I thought it was kind of good despite itself and was bogged down with a lot of very clunky non-piratey very Assassins's Creedy stuff (the janky stealth stuff, the truly hopeless first person sci fi bits).
What about Raven's Cry and Sacred 3? :P
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

KissMammal wrote: January 16th, 2019, 10:35 pm I'd LOVE for someone to like Rockstar to make a proper open world pirate game some day. It seems like a genre that is ripe for videogame possibilities, but so few ever get made. Black Flag is the closest thing we have, but I thought it was kind of good despite itself and was bogged down with a lot of very clunky non-piratey very Assassins's Creedy stuff (the janky stealth stuff, the truly hopeless first person sci fi bits).
Er, did you landlubbers forget that this is due this year?

KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Isn't that one a ship combat game though?
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Regarding the brevity thing, do you read all the forum comments out on the show these days? I was under the impression that you'd only do this if the comment fitted in with what you wanted to discuss, or made some really pertinent point.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

We don’t necessarily read them all on the show, no, and we never have promised to (although sometimes it has happened).

But as I sort of tried to explain, the act of reading them at full length in the first place to decide on what is to be included and - this is the really time consuming part - editing enormous posts down and inserting them into the show - is beyond what the hosts can manage to process when we have several forum pages of thousand plus word posts.

Again I want to stress, we love the community correspondence and it is an essential part of the show, but it’s a waste of you guys’ time writing full blown essays/theses on games when we don’t have the time either inside or outside of the show to include them.

With that in mind, we would encourage folk to focus on one or two anecdotes or elements that stand out to them, rather than trying to say everything that they’ve ever thought about every element of a game.

If that is your passion then it might seriously be worth considering a blog or even a freelance career!

Of course, if the thread is quite barren as we approach recording time then feel free to be a bit more verbose, although focus is still appreciated.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Ah, I see! That makes sense, and you did state that editing them was time consuming in your original post, I believe.

It's just that I'm only now catching up on the last season, and there seemed to be a section at the end of some shows called 'Forum Comments'.

I love reading these comments in the game thread, but tend to tune out when they are read on air as blocks of text, so I was curious if you had a new policy to include them. I tend to view them as people liking to talk about the game, and not necessarily expecting them to be read out (unless they are fairly original thoughts), but I could be wrong.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m eyeing up a few of the older games on the list and am looking into playing them for the first time.

Pilotwings 64 - looks like the only way to play this is with original hardware. Any other options? I’m not a fan of emulation in general unless done legally via mini consoles etc.

Paradroid - removed from Wii virtual console line up. Toying with the idea of getting a c64 mini which I was on the fence about but is there a better/easier/cheaper way to play it?