Basement Themes: The All-Time Worst Video Game Music

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Basement Themes: The All-Time Worst Video Game Music

Post by Flabyo »

What’s Deep Purple?

Youngsters...

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Flabyo wrote: January 12th, 2019, 8:52 am What’s Deep Purple?

Youngsters...

Oh. Retirement home music. I've heard this passing by the bingo halls in town. x:
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

If that’s retirement home music then sounds like my kind of place...
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Well if you think about it, the folks who would have been 20-something in the 60s and 70s are now getting well on into retirement age... I think we may be on the precipice of "classic rock" FINALLY exiting the mainstream. Lord knows I've been sick of hearing it for the last 15ish years now.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 12th, 2019, 11:03 am Well if you think about it, the folks who would have been 20-something in the 60s and 70s are now getting well on into retirement age... I think we may be on the precipice of "classic rock" FINALLY exiting the mainstream. Lord knows I've been sick of hearing it for the last 15ish years now.
One of the first things I noticed when I moved to the US 5 years ago was how dominant 'classic rock' still is here. I don't think you'd really hear much of that Baby Boomer era 60s/70s rock music in many pubs or bars in the UK any more as its considered beyond passe, but its ubiquitous here, kind of the 'default' music of choice, especially in more rural areas. I'm guessing it's because dance music didn't explode in the US during the 90s like it did Europe (possibly due to the backlash against disco?) so it's kind of a whole world of different genres of music they largely missed out on and are only just catching up to now.

On a similar note, the radio stations and fake commercials in GTA are so spot on that they barely qualify as satire.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

KissMammal wrote: January 16th, 2019, 2:02 am
Magical_Isopod wrote: January 12th, 2019, 11:03 am Well if you think about it, the folks who would have been 20-something in the 60s and 70s are now getting well on into retirement age... I think we may be on the precipice of "classic rock" FINALLY exiting the mainstream. Lord knows I've been sick of hearing it for the last 15ish years now.
One of the first things I noticed when I moved to the US 5 years ago was how dominant 'classic rock' still is here. I don't think you'd really hear much of that Baby Boomer era 60s/70s rock music in many pubs or bars in the UK any more as its considered beyond passe, but its ubiquitous here, kind of the 'default' music of choice, especially in more rural areas. I'm guessing it's because dance music didn't explode in the US during the 90s like it did Europe (possibly due to the backlash against disco?) so it's kind of a whole world of different genres of music they largely missed out on and are only just catching up to now.

On a similar note, the radio stations and fake commercials in GTA are so spot on that they barely qualify as satire.
Yeah, where I'm at in Canada, the same shit they played in the 70s is still played on a continuous loop today. I heavily associate the genre with conservative Boomers so deep in their own social bubbles they refuse to engage with modern music. Electro is completely non-existent on the radio, which has made Spotify a godsend for me.

Literally, the only stations you'll get in my neck of the woods are classic rock, Top 40, and country. Maaaaaaybe an ethnic station if you're closer to Toronto. Toronto has a pretty big hip-hop scene, but it gets lumped in with Top 40 on the radio. The rave scene is alive, but small... It's like... A "big" rave is maybe 50-100, tops. Same deal with metal. I'm more into the industrial and dark electro scene, but that is literally non-existent in Canada. I'd have to go to like... Germany or Mexico. It really is the pits, man. I don't know why music here sucks so bad, but I cannot WAIT for the Boomers to die off so society can evolve.