The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
registradus

Re: Nintendo Wii U

Post by registradus »

I was looking forward to picking up some bargains in the E3 sale. unfortunately it looks like only the US gets the sale? pretty disappointing.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

It is a bit insane that your content is locked in to your original Wii U. You'd think by now they'd copy Microsoft and Sony's way of doing things. Silly really.
Well, the E3 dust has settled, there's some great looking games on the way. Bayonetta 2, Yarn Yoshi, Captain Toad, new Zelda, and not one but two Metroid games.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

AndyKurosaki wrote:It is a bit insane that your content is locked in to your original Wii U.
It's easy to criticise them for not having a perfect online account system, as if such a thing existed, but keep in mind that anyone who is ever going to want/need to use their account on more than one system is part of an outlier. Yes, it's annoying that you can't use your account on anything but the console you created it on and that transferring accounts isn't a clean process, but it's not like it's unreasonable for Nintendo to assume that most people are just going to buy one Wii/WiiU/3DS and keep it.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

They should've learnt their lesson by now, though, what with the new and improved versions of the 3DS. If someone wanted to upgrade to an XL, you couldn't trade in your original 3DS until you'd had them sat next to each other transferring the data.

There should definitely be a system in place which links your NNID to your games and regardless of what console you're on, it should work, but this is Nintendo. So close, but yet so far when it comes to the technical side of their machines.

Luckily, their software output is so high in quality that we put up with these little niggles and smile like loonies at the TV.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Roy42 wrote:
AndyKurosaki wrote:It is a bit insane that your content is locked in to your original Wii U.
It's easy to criticise them for not having a perfect online account system, as if such a thing existed, but keep in mind that anyone who is ever going to want/need to use their account on more than one system is part of an outlier. Yes, it's annoying that you can't use your account on anything but the console you created it on and that transferring accounts isn't a clean process, but it's not like it's unreasonable for Nintendo to assume that most people are just going to buy one Wii/WiiU/3DS and keep it.
I'd argue that it is. It's a consumers market and it's at the behest of the consoles owner what they want (or need) to do.
Say I lose my stuff to a flood or a house fire. You're in the same situation. "Sorry you lost your items in a house fire but as a result of our system you've now lost your account and the hundreds of pounds worth of digital content you had too", all because they don't use the same set up as every other system. It's mind boggling. Microsoft have had theirs for over 8 years. Sony 7. Steam nearly a decade. Nintendo came in last of all and yet still have the most archaic of them all. You can't forgive shortsightedness, although, given the company, that shouldn't come as a surprise.

It's frustrating. I've not had to create a second user (Nokkon) on my Wii U and as a result can't link my 3DS and my Wii U. To top it off I now can't link my Nintendo account with my new Nintendo ID meaning that I can't earn points on top for rewards (something I was told on the phone I could do.)
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

dezm0nd wrote:They should've learnt their lesson by now, though, what with the new and improved versions of the 3DS. If someone wanted to upgrade to an XL, you couldn't trade in your original 3DS until you'd had them sat next to each other transferring the data.

There should definitely be a system in place which links your NNID to your games and regardless of what console you're on, it should work, but this is Nintendo. So close, but yet so far when it comes to the technical side of their machines.

Luckily, their software output is so high in quality that we put up with these little niggles and smile like loonies at the TV.
When I inquired about people buying the Zelda Wii U and trading their old systems in they said that it can be done, but the key is that you need to own both systems at the same time (so no trades, you have to buy one, sell the other) and then post off your old console to Nintendo where they can then remove the account in a way that it can be re-registered. Even now I'm shaking my head at the thought that someone actually planned for it to be this way!
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Yeah, it's hard to see why they're doing that. Kind of makes me dubious about spending much on the eshop, as you know it's forever linked to that one console.
Like Des says though, when you get quality Nintendo games to play, you kind of just go with it.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

So, I bought a Wii U on my home from holiday last week. Naturally I got the Mario Kart bundle, I got Wind Waker HD as my free download, I bought NSMBWU, SMB3DW, Wii Fit U and Zombi U in addition and for the Virtual console have picked up the following via a combination of purchases and 'p.nintendo.net': Earthbound, Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart and Super Metroid.

So, far I am enjoying the console a great deal. The Gamepad is a convenient way for me to play (battery isn't great but I can deal with that) and the first party titles look pretty. I don't regret my purchase, sure some of the account stuff is a load of poop but the Nintendo games feel like Nintendo games should.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

There is a higher capacity battery but for £30, I'd much rather save my money and buy a game with it. Glad people are enjoying their Wii U's. It genuinely is something different to the other two platforms and deserves a place under the TV with them both!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes, cheaper to just plug the power lead in the top of the GamePad when it's getting low on juice.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Yeah, the lead is massive. When i'm sat down, I also like to plop it on the plug-in cradle when i'm idling in mario kart 8 lobbies or what have you.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Great purchase there Arry, you've done well :)
Never even considered that battery to be honest. I've got the charger always plugged in nearby, so seems a waste of £30.

Just finished New Super Mario Bros U, the last world got extremely annoying. Maybe it's better in co-op, but in single player it became a total chore. Real contrast to SM3DW, which is a joy from start to finish.
GSMason

Post by GSMason »

Hard to justify another console when I have a big backlog and little gaming time. Having said that next week's combination of a few days off work (after a very busy few weeks), getting paid and my birthday means I think it's finally Wii U time for me.
Mario Kart bundle, free Pikmin and then Mario 3D World should do my fine
GSMason

Post by GSMason »

Wii U ordered! Collecting from Tesco Thursday.
Mario Kart Bundle with probably Pikmin 3 as my free game as scandalously I've never played pikmin despite it looking right up my street.

Looking forward to finally playing Mario 3D World and Wind Waker HD and few others too.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

What a delicious bundle of goodies! You're going to have a lot of fun I reckon.
GSMason

Post by GSMason »

I'm sure I will do. Lifelong nintendo fan. This is the longest I've waited to pick up their console since I first got my game boy. ( never had an NES)

Think I'm ready for some gaming joy too - bloody dark souls!
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So the Nintendo Shareholder meeting took place recently here's some of the questions asked by the shareholders: http://nintendoeverything.com/details-f ... 2-million/ it's nice material if you wanna vomit,question 9 especifically makes me sick fuck those guys.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I don't think you can hold it against the people who have actually put money into the company if they ask questions about what the company is planning to actually do to justify them having done so.

Investors want a return. It's fairly clear that Nintendo are not the 'safe bet' on the stock market they once were, and so those who may have large parts of their savings in the company are clearly going to get nervous.

The last thing Nintendo needs right now is to lose shareholder confidence and risk a big drop in the share price.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Yeah let's just ignore the the millions of dollars the Wii made and the 3DS im sure Nintendo is on Capcoms level of financial troubles,these questions only serve to show that these shareholders dont care about the company they are investing they only care about making a quick buck of Nintendo's back I mean look at that guy on question 9 he says he doesnt care about games and questions about games only about the stock price and everybody cheers and they are investing in a company that makes games for christ sakes!This is everything that's wrong with AAA companies nowadays,these people they dont care about the company,the developers or the games they only care about how quickly they can get a profit(and their gifts that's important too).Now you may say that its their right since they invested their money and they dont have to be invested in games and all that but that doesnt make them any less of a bunch scumbags that are the cause of the many issues in the games industry that people keep complaining on daily basis.

Sorry I just find it really hard to have any kinda of sympathy for these people and not hate their guts straight away after some of the questions in here and I dont even care that much about Nintendo
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

If only all those wealthy gaming enthusiasts would put their Wii U GamePad's down and get investing...