The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: The 3DS / Nintendo Direct Thread

Post by Flabyo »

The 3DS has always been region locked.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Ah ha ^
dezm0nd

Re: Nintendo Wii U

Post by dezm0nd »

Here's a video detailing everything in next weeks Mario Kart 8 DLC!
Spoiler: show
WseR5h3zMs8
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Actually, the Australian units will play EU games as they are part of the same region. So you can import one:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/47 ... e-imports/
However, a Nintendo UK spokesperson confirmed to CVG that the redesigned handhelds will employ the same region locking policy as previous iterations, which grouped Australia, New Zealand and Europe in the same territory lock.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

A rather neat little online magazine called Nintendo Extra, by Nintendo.co.uk features an explaination of the Zelda series and an interview with Eiji Aonuma.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintend ... d_of_zelda
James

Post by James »

dezm0nd wrote:...an explaination of the Zelda series...
I couldn't help but :lol:

As an aside, and it hardly needs mentioning, 2014 has been exemplary for the Wii U. And, of late, a lot of the criticism seems to have died down.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Been playing a lot of Mario Golf lately - anyone else on this? Very enjoyable.
adwild1982

Post by adwild1982 »

Decided to jump on the Wii U band wagon and pre - ordered it off Shop To bundled with Smash Bros and New Super Mario Bro U. Looking to ad Mario Kart and Monster Hunter 3 as well. Role on Xmas Day
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I played a lot of it outside in the summer days for a short period of time, beating all the cups etc. I need to golf more but there's so many games fighting for my time.

It's a damn fine Mario Golf, though.
James

Post by James »

Sean Bell managed to convince me to pick up Shovel Knight on 3DS rather than Wii U. Been waiting for that to reach Nintendo consoles for ages now... I gather it's rather fun!
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Any other mentalist curios out there played about with the 3ds homebrew app? I doubt it'll knock down doors (like the ds with its pressure sensitive touch screen never used outside homebrew) but there's some good stuff on offer like a doom clone with impressive 3d, a minecraft clone which was sadly a bit naff (and prone to crashing) and a nostalgia inducing amiga style demo scene release with some eye popping 3d. I may dabble a little but I sure love seeing these things and getting a little inspiration to do something more.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Any decent 8/16-bit emulators do ya know?
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Just Snes, Gb/Gbc and Nes so far which I plan to give a tinker about with later but I've already gone balls deep on Chrono Trigger DS and a triple whammy of mega expensive (well £21) wii virtual console games of late (Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and Sin & Punishment) so it'll be just a play around for now though I can't wait for the next holiday!

Edit: Gbc seems pretty good besides the native resolution making it tiny but the snes is way too prone to crashing and lacks sound though it ran at a good speed but then I guess anything will without sound emulated. Will be keeping an eye on this over the coming months but this could be the start of something with the push the homebrew developer is giving and the amount of code being thrown around forums right now.
Grimsgrams

Post by Grimsgrams »

Welcome to the club!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Aye! Welcome. Add me if you want your friends list fattened out :)

Anyone think Nintendo are really missing a trick with no achievement system on Wii U? There's a definite compulsion there on other consoles for certain types of gamer that just isn't part of Nintendo's setup.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

hazeredmist wrote:Anyone think Nintendo are really missing a trick with no achievement system on Wii U?
Certain games have stamps and accomplishments, particularly Smash Bros. with its challenges; and no. Miyamoto already went on record for not wanting to bait the player with a carrot, and I agree with him. If a game is good, people will play it without a Skinner Box tricking them into it; and if the argument for them is about extending the replayability of the game, people have made and continue to make meta-games out of the games themselves constantly.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Roy42 wrote:
hazeredmist wrote:Anyone think Nintendo are really missing a trick with no achievement system on Wii U?
Certain games have stamps and accomplishments, particularly Smash Bros. with its challenges; and no. Miyamoto already went on record for not wanting to bait the player with a carrot, and I agree with him. If a game is good, people will play it without a Skinner Box tricking them into it; and if the argument for them is about extending the replayability of the game, people have made and continue to make meta-games out of the games themselves constantly.
Think you missed my point, I'm not advocating it but suggesting it might help them compete. Achievements offer something for certain types of gamer (obviously not everyone) and that might help them sell more games / consoles. Kind of like Nintendo pretending online didn't exist until they absolutely had to. The "If a game is good, people will play it" stance is great in theory, but if it was true, Super Mario 3D World wouldn't have been outsold by Knack.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Okay then, still no. For one, Mario 3D World has not been outsold by Knack; Knack has currently sold more copies, and that's a result of Knack being designed from the ground up to be something that appeals to children. Nintendo never pretended online didn't exist; or, if they did, Sony deserves to be criticised for the same reason, since both of them didn't do "real" online until about the same point in time. And if people are so attached to achievement systems that it will make-or-break a console for them over the games, then they aren't going to be people who will enjoy Nintendo's games anyway.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Roy42 wrote:Mario 3D World has not been outsold by Knack; Knack has currently sold more copies
Erm...
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Bit cheeky to ask, but does anyone have a 3DS console star code they didn't use they'd be willing to give me? If I register it with a copy of pokemon I'l get a choice of free game, but I can't find my star code anywhere.