The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Craig

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Craig »

I think we`ll see half a dozen WiiU advanced ports in the launch lineup because:

1) Presumably, they`ll be relatively low cost.
2) A lot of people missed out on them but they`ve got a really good reputation.
3) It`ll fatten out the launch lineup.

The Wii U lineup has been pretty thin the last few years so I imagine a lot of their resources have been on new games for the Switch. There`ll be a few games designed to show off what the system can do and I`d put money on there being at least some sort of game included to demonstrate it`s abilities.

I think it`s pretty obvious now that the new Zelda has been altered somewhat for the Switch`s single screen only play. Although I think they`ve said otherwise in interviews, the Sheika tablet was clearly meant to be representative of the WiiU gamepad. How far they were into development before they decided to switch over I don`t think we`ll ever really know, but I`m sure there`ll be a few hanging threads.

It`s also a shame that there doesn`t seem that much going on for Zelda`s 30th anniversary. There`s the odd event and a few amiibos, but I`m sure BoW was planned as their big celebration the same way Skyward Sword was for the 25th.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

I think the launch line up will be really good. They've put things on hold for Wii U, bolstered their internal development team, put younger developers on things like Splatoon, Retro have been quiet for a few years, formed great relationships with Sega, Monolith Soft, Capcom and Platinum and the indie crowd love them now. I have a lot less concerns about that side of things than I might normally.

I wouldn't bet against a Bayonetta trilogy and Monster Hunter being available within 6 months of the launch either.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Capcom have still yet to announce the specifics of planned Monster Hunter game they`re releasing this financial year they`re projecting will sell a few million, so it sounds like the next mainline title. Could be a Switch title, but a little ambitious considering it`d be so close to launch to sell those numbers.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

The one other thing that's been talked about by a few, prominent (and reliable) Nintendo sources is that the console has a surprise up its sleeve that no one is expecting. Didn't see anything in that video that was any different to the Eurogamer leak, so whilst I'd take it with a pinch of salt normally, everything else these people have mentioned has so far been bang on. Can't find the link now, mind.

A blogger noticed a mysterious button on the bottom of the device the other day. Not sure if its to do with that? Or could the screen slot into a headset mount and the handheld controllers mean the console supports basic VR? Strongly doubt that one personally! There were also rumours that the screen had a projector function in it.

Anyhow, might be nothing, so best not get super excited.
Craig

Post by Craig »

I think the projector rumours were from a patent Nintendo filed. It could happen, but Nintendo files a lot of patents that never see the light of day, and I think something like that probably would have been in the initial reveal.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Also, plenty of consoles have had expansion ports and other interesting-looking doobries which never get utilised.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Really looking forward to more info on the operating syste an online functionality.

If it's the same as the Wii U then I'm going to be proper gutted.

Nintendo games with leaderboards and better interaction with your friends would be dreamy. Whilst I'd ideally like to see some sort of achievement type system and a parties/lobbies function so you can group up.

Whilst it's not a necessity, having these features would further bolster a serious approach from Nintendo I think, ignoring the popularity of features like this in modern gaming would be a shortfall in some ways I think.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The pre-order was at GAME, in-store. I was going to do it online but last time I found it entirely underwhelming yet also anxiety inducing just waiting for a postman to turn up.

I'd much rather go out at midnight, pick it up and have the buzz of it all going on around me like I did for the New 3DS.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I think Nintendo is going to avoid following the VR fad* personally.

*assuming you think currently VR is a fad, which I do.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, I'd say I'd probably call VR a fad too, I don't expect it to be a critical aspect of gaming in the near future, it'll probably be an offshoot to standard gaming with its own sort of crowd.

However, I went into Game today to pick up Rhythm Paradise Megamix and the store were showing off PSVR to a few people with a monitor showing what the person was doing. It looked really cool and I really wanted to try it.

It's something I want to try but I can't see me investing in something like that for myself.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I think we will see Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 HD before the end of 2017.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I would like that.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Give me Galaxy without Wii controls and we're talking. I just cannot enjoy the Mario Galaxy games as they are at present, I hate the controls, always have. It's very annoying because I can see it's a game I'd otherwise love, as a huge Mario fan.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

chase210 wrote:I think Nintendo is going to avoid following the VR fad* personally.

*assuming you think currently VR is a fad, which I do.
Look, the Virtual Boy, I'll admit, is not selling as well as we'd hope. But I have a feeling sales will pick up soon! I mean, it's due right?!? :geek:
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Just needs a little more time to hit its stride!

One of the actors from the Switch reveal video is interviewed. Interesting enough interview about how the shoot went, mostly filmed in Vancouver apparently, but mostly interesting bit is right at the end where he says there is other things about the console that he knows that he can't say because of contracts or NDA's whatever. He says it is 'torturing' him that he can't say and that he hopes they reveal them soon.

So thats exciting.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Suits wrote: However, I went into Game today to pick up Rhythm Paradise Megamix and the store were showing off PSVR to a few people with a monitor showing what the person was doing. It looked really cool and I really wanted to try it.
Ha, turns out that Game charge £5 for a 10 minute demo and £15 for 30 minutes.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Nintendo Japan have just announced that on October 27th there will be a Nintendo Direct to discuss Monster Hunter.

Stories is already out, so it's unlikely about that.

EDIT: The site says no Switch or Mobile announcements, so I'm guessing Monster Hunter X G.
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

It's been interesting seeing the general excited response on twitter etc but the gaming and mainstream press being very cynical and dismissive.

I've yet to be convinced enough to plonk down a pre order as theirs so many unanswered questions but I'm also not going to just wright it off as just another crazy Nintendo gimmick.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Regarding preorders for the Switch, EB Games (Australia) have a placeholder price of $999 AUD! (https://ebgames.com.au/nintendo-nx-2028 ... ndo-Switch) I'll let you guys do the exchange rate, but however you look at it, I think I'll be holding off purchasing for a while.

I am aware that a placeholder price is not the same as a RRP, but $999 is asking a lot...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Over £600!? Bizarre they'd even do that.