The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Suits »

Vita is a JRPG dream.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Made the mistake of reading the comments under the Eurogamer article about the reduced GPU speed of Switch. Foolish... Worse thing about gaming is undoubtedly huge vocal chunks of the gaming community.

Not sure what people were expecting?

"Why isn't this inch thin device as powerful as the jet engine I have indoors?" / "Why didn't they spend the extra cash on it so that it was as powerful as a PS4 but had no battery life? (plus I was one of the people who moaned that the Wii U was never less than £250)" / "Despite having a PS4 and all my friends being online on that system anyhow, I'm OUTRAGED I can't play Overwatch on my commute on Nintendo Network for free".

From what we know, you look at this thing as either an underpowered current gen machine or an insanely powerful portable that upscaled on your TV.

I also don't get why so many people with PCs and PS4s care about third party support. I care because I only ever own one machine per generation, but its still not a huge concern. If Nintendo now have one machine to develop for instead of two and you get indie games of a standard like Inside, Firewatch, Rocket League etc then that's great in my eyes. I fully expect to not see ports of MGSV and CoD, but that goes with the territory.

Third parties also need to be realistic and fair to succeed on the platform I'd imagine. Capcom have done great on 3DS by playing to the machines strength. The reason I never bought FIFA on Wii U was because EA did a lazy port. Likewise the reason I didn't buy Need for Speed Most Wanted was due to it being £50 on the system but £5 on others. Whereas I did buy ZombiU and Deus Ex: Human Revolution because they were decent titles. Treat me with respect and I'll respect you.

Do feel for developers though. PCs, two versions of XboxOne and PS4 and now this. A development nightmare cross platform...
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

seansthomas wrote:Third parties also need to be realistic and fair to succeed on the platform I'd imagine. Capcom have done great on 3DS by playing to the machines strength. The reason I never bought FIFA on Wii U was because EA did a lazy port. Likewise the reason I didn't buy Need for Speed Most Wanted was due to it being £50 on the system but £5 on others. Whereas I did buy ZombiU and Deus Ex: Human Revolution because they were decent titles. Treat me with respect and I'll respect you.
On the subject of Capcom playing the the strengths of the 3DS, I picked up Super Street Fighter IV ages ago, as it's always on sale, and I love it on the 3DS. While nothing can match having a decent arcade stick and playing on the big TV, using the touch screen for special moves (which can also be customised) makes the portable experience a delight. And the animations stick look fantastic on the small screen. As long as expectations are realistic, I would easily recommend that version.

I did pick up Zombie U (still haven't played it yet) for the same reason of playing to the strengths of the platform.
Craig

Post by Craig »

There was a huge push back when that mode was first introduced, some of it regarding it's implementation was fair (charge moves becoming instantaneous changes the game) but a lot of it was complaining that it was a baby mode.

Personally I enjoyed it. I've always been more of a fan of the smash bros style where all the moves are streamlined and the inputs are all the same. It becomes much easier and intuitive to get into and the challenge lies not within executing the moves but in choosing the right time to do so. The challenge of performing moves gives a higher risk reward strategy and allows for more tells, but I've never had the patience to sit down and learn a different move set per character as the people I'll play will just smash me into a paste anyway.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I finally got my NES Mini Classic. I figured that, eventually I'm going to cave and get it anyway, but I don't want to reward the scummy scalpers of eBay. That meant preordering through EB Games (Australia of course), and it took about 90 minutes of constantly refreshing the webpage, trying to get anything to work at all due to the traffic on the site. That fact that I got it at all, at proper RRP, was probably more due to luck than anything else.

And you can read any review in regards to specs, and pros and cons. All criticisms are totally relevant and valid: the cord for the controller is a bit short, having to press reset on the console to get back to the main menu, etc, etc.

For me, when I was in primary school, I really wanted a NES, and like most people in primary school I ended up with a Sega Master System (it was considerately cheaper). The upside of that is that you can pool your games with your friends, and have sleepovers and do nothing but game. Only one person had a NES at the time, and you better believe we made friends with him! He had games like Excitebike, Mike Tyson's Punchout (I know licensing issues prevent that being used in the NES Mini, but I kinda wish it was still that!), and a game I could never get into in gaming or in real life - Australian Rules Footy (I just don't get the appeal - it's a pretty dumb sport).

It's basically a well made, first-party piece of nostalgia that I can hook up easily, and even if I just play it occasionally, whether for 10-15 minutes at a time, or whatever. And I'll be damned if I don't absolutely love it! Even when it's off and just sitting on the shelf, it's a gorgeous little grey box.

If only we didn't have to put up with greedy scalpers, and Nintendo's habit for under-stocking, then more people could enjoy it too. And thats the biggest criticism I can level at it: it is ultimately a very exclusive item, with very inclusive games.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Big ole Switch rumours from (Laura Kate Dale)
There's a record button on the left Joy-Con.
There will be no friend codes, DeNA is helping Nintendo with the networking.
The leak from Reddit user 'Genos' is fake.
Laura was asked if there was the possibility of Red Dead Redemption 2 or Overwatch coming to the Switch. Regarding Red Dead, she stated that there's almost no way it's going to happen due to Rockstar's relationship with Nintendo. She assures that Overwatch wouldn't be there at launch, and the two stated that it would require a massively overhauled port due to the 'always-online' nature of the title.
Don't expect a delay for the Nintendo Switch.
Laura was asked about voice-chat, before she was going to answer she asked if she could say anything due to OBE1 releasing a video detailing it out soon. This basically confirmed the fact that it's going to be included, smooth move guys.
The system will have Bluetooth, not sure to what extent.
The Joy-Cons will be available to be purchased separately at launch date. Docks will be purchasable after 6 months and will be 'cheap'.
There won't be a bundle that includes the Pro Controller, they will be purchaseable seperately.
The battery will last around 3 hours with everything at maximum.
The charging port is USB and will easily and quickly charge the system.
Only expect three virtual console Gamecube games at launch, they will be optimized for their original resolutions.
At launch there will only be one color of the Switch, and it will be the default grey. However, there's a slight chance that there will be multiple colors after launch.
The right Joy-Con has an IR pointer akin to the Wiimote, this will allow touch-screen functionalities while docked.
The entry bundle for the switch will have 32GB of onboard storage, Micro SD card support will extend to 128 GB.
When asked about Mass Effect Andromeda, she brought up the point that Mass Effect 3 sold horrendously on Wii U and that there are no plans to release the title.

Be careful of believing these rumors; while they're very founded and Laura Kate Dale has been right before, Nintendo has still said nothing and won't until mid-January.

As with all rumours, I'm cautiously optimistic.
Octorok385

Post by Octorok385 »

As an unrelated update... There's a rumor floating around that Mother 3 may be getting a Western release on the Switch virtual console.

*I cannot grasp the true form of Nintendo's attack... On my wallet.*
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I can't get excited about rumours but I do enjoy them when they come true. Not long untill the Switch presentation now, though!
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I'm very excited for the Switch presentation. Less so for the 4am time, but what can ya do.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Rumours that Zelda might not be a Switch launch title in the EU!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... lease-date

And confirmation that the presentation will be translated into English for us UK plebs.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I'll honestly be properly gutted if that's true :( .
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

They absolutely can't launch a Zelda title at launch in one region but not another. That would be a nightmare for sales, surely?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Surely not. I completely agree with the decision not to delay it in Japan and the US. It's essential that they get the launch right, and as strong as possible, even if Europe is later, to be honest. I don't think it will be, though, I reckon they'll throw a load of resources at it to make it happen.

What I mean is...if they don't, I'll be going ape shit.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Europe has never traditionally been something Nintendo goes out of their way to be nice to.

I mean, the Switch video goes out at 4am here.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Flabyo wrote:Europe has never traditionally been something Nintendo goes out of their way to be nice to.

I mean, the Switch video goes out at 4am here.
Yeah Nintendo has always treated this region as an afterthought over the years. Christ in decades gone by it has sometimes been nearly a year or more before a game has emerged here after the US and Japan. They've certainly been better in recent years but if we did get it a month or two late it wouldn't exactly be unprecedented!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Perhaps the lack of apparent attention goes back to the 8-Bit era, where Nintendo played second fiddle to Sega and Master System in Europe.

You go where the honey is.

Seems a bit daft nowadays with region free and global release dates.

I wonder what it is that would perhaps hold EU releases back, it can't be the localisation, maybe it's the certification process.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Suits wrote:I wonder what it is that would perhaps hold EU releases back, it can't be the localisation, maybe it's the certification process.
Actually, thinking about this, it could very well be localisation.

Not everyone in Europe speaks English after all.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I'm half expecting the switch to be region locked.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Presentation will be done by Kimishima! And Metro printed an unconfirmed report that the Switch will retail at £245.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

A bunch of licenced switch accesories have leaked! Less than 48 hours to the presentation.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332558