The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
seansthomas

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by seansthomas » February 14th, 2019, 6:36 am

KissMammal wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 12:00 am
.One thing that is really missing from the Switch library is an arcadey racing game in the style of Ridge Racer or Outrun: Coast to Coast. GRID looks OK, but not really what I'm after.
I hear you.

There are some futuristic ones like FAST Racing Neo and Grip but I'd love one of these too.

Nearest I have got to it is Horizon Chase Turbo which is very good but more like the original OutRun.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » February 14th, 2019, 6:55 am

Isn’t the actual Outrun already on the Switch?

chase210

Post by chase210 » February 14th, 2019, 7:09 am

The yoshi demo is absolutely lovely, looks gorgeous, play like a dream. Daemon X Machina demo was a lot of fun, my only complaint is how rough it looks and runs right now, but I’m sure it’ll be better for launch. And I bought final fantasy IX! Even though it was the odd price of €20.99.

seansthomas

Post by seansthomas » February 14th, 2019, 8:01 am

Flabyo wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 6:55 am
Isn’t the actual Outrun already on the Switch?
It is yeah. I preferred this game though.

Suits

Post by Suits » February 14th, 2019, 8:09 am

Just quickly on the Z:LA remake, I love this game it was my first Zelda.

I’ve only actually played through it twice, once on my original cart then once on the DX version for the Color.

I wonder if the remake will include those extra dungeons.

An issue I have with the original is the constant inventory switching due to the two buttons so having the extra buttons on the Switch will really help this in terms of gameplay.

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » February 14th, 2019, 1:03 pm

That was a pretty good direct. Usually I keep my expectations a bit low for most of these, since they usually tend to turn out just okay. But this one had quite a few very interesting games, and it's really good that they're all coming relatively soon as well.

Obviously being a big Platinum fan Astral Chain looks really interesting. Combat looks good, and it seems like it might have some neat original ideas going on too. It looks like one of their more experimental games too, which we haven't seen them put out in a while. So it's cool to see them return to doing that. Sad that it seems Bayo 3 is still a while off, but this should be more than enough to tide me over for now. More Platinum is always great.

Zelda was really cute. I've never played the original, and don't tend to like the top-down ones as much as the fully 3D ones. But maybe this one will be a bit different. I definitely want to try it out. Also Link is left-handed again!

Oninaki looked sort of interesting. I wasn't interested in the past games from the studio, but this one being an action RPG appeals to me more. It had a nice art style at least. That, and the thing about recruiting spirits to be your weapons gave me a bit of a Folklore vibe. I have heard the previous games from those people were a bit mediocre though, so I'm not totally sold on this one, but it has my attention at least.

It's really cool to see Hellblade get ported as well. I never imagined that would even be possible. From the footage they showed it seemed to look visually pretty great as well. Hard to believe that's even running on the Switch. I don't think I'll buy it again, but it's really impressive anyway.

Kind of disappointed that there wasn't that rumoured Prime Trilogy, but I think what we got more than made up for it. Got quite a few things to look forward too, and not too long to wait.

I'll vouch for Grid Autosport as a pretty good racing game too. I doesn't really play realistically at all, despite how they presented it. It's not going to light anyone's world on fire, but it's pretty fun regardless. A bit of an odd choice for a port, but meh, it's not a bad time. And the Switch does need more racing games in general.

I also tried out the demo for Daemon X Machina, and I have to say I wasn't very impressed. While the visual style is very striking, everything else about it was pretty underwhelming. Performance is pretty bad in that demo, and the UI is a mess. Makes it very hard to see what's going on. Firing your weapons didn't really feel like it had much feedback either, and the writing and voice acting were pretty terrible.

Suits

Post by Suits » February 14th, 2019, 2:45 pm

I downloaded the new DLC for Captain Toad.

Two new episodes, one out today, next out March 14th.

Episode one has twenty pages in its book, so it’s likely that’s an additional 20 maps.

£5.39 for the pair, which I thought was pretty decent.

I’d pay that for more CT.

I’d also forgotten about the 100% completion bonus you get, once you finish everything which was a nice surprise when I booted up the first new level of the book :lol: .

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » February 14th, 2019, 3:27 pm

I don’t think I’m going to manage that before we record, sadly!

Suits

Post by Suits » February 14th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Yeah, that’s understandable.

Interested how the multiplayer is going to work with the camera control etc....

It’s a pretty robust package on the Swicth anyway to be honest but with two extra books, it’s a very hefty package now.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » February 14th, 2019, 5:23 pm

Suits wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 3:33 pm
It’s a pretty robust package on the Swicth anyway to be honest but with two extra books, it’s a very hefty package now.
So which version of Captain Toad is the best, then?

I was going to buy the WiiU one based on your recommendation! Should I get the Switch version after all? :|

Suits

Post by Suits » February 14th, 2019, 5:33 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 5:23 pm
So which version of Captain Toad is the best, then?

I was going to buy the WiiU one based on your recommendation! Should I get the Switch version after all? :|
You've not got a Switch though have you man ??

But I know you have a Wii U.

The Switch version has the most additional content but it's not worth buying a Switch for, the Wii U version is probably the better version mechanically and is far from being a small package - content wise.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » February 14th, 2019, 5:41 pm

Suits wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 5:33 pm
You've not got a Switch though have you man ??

But I know you have a Wii U.
Not yet, I'm still holding out for a potential FE Limited Edition or something along those lines. Don't worry, you'll be the first on my friends list when the time comes. :)

Doesn't stop me from preemptively buying games for it (like Smash) or planning out future purchases, though. I didn't buy Fast Racing Neo so I could dive into Fast RMX later on, for example.

Suits

Post by Suits » February 14th, 2019, 5:46 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 5:41 pm
Not yet, I'm still holding out for a potential FE Limited Edition or something along those lines. Don't worry, you'll be the first on my friends list when the time comes. :)
You flirt you :P :P .

Oh, right, cool.

Well in that case then man, I suppose the Switch version is probably more appealing due to the handheld nature (which I took advantage of a lot) although, generally, there's no wrong answer here really. I suspect both versions are pretty cheap now.

I just prefer the Wii U version as a few of the controls are better on that system.

Suits

Post by Suits » February 15th, 2019, 9:13 pm

Got all comfy and sat down to play the new DLC for Captain Toad, it seems it's not out yet - just the first level as a pre-order bonus :lol: .

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 20th, 2019, 6:06 pm

I may have missed the announcement, but I saw a trailer last night - I didn't realise the FF IX coming to switch was a full on remake. I assumed it would be a straight port of the PS1 original but the trailer seemed to have all new graphics and everything. Looked quite nice. Anyone here getting it?

KissMammal

Post by KissMammal » February 20th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Isn't it a port of the preexisting mobile version?

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » February 20th, 2019, 6:17 pm

Yes, it's the same as the mobile/PC/PS4/Xbox One version that's widely available.

It has some good things about it but also some issues. Buyer beware, especially at the premium price point.

KissMammal

Post by KissMammal » February 21st, 2019, 11:50 pm

This is really disappointing. Apparently the Switch port of Trials Rising really stinks - input lag, sub 30 fps and (yikes) N64 style fog to hide the draw distance... Was really looking forward to this game. Hope there'll be able to fix with a patch?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... its_rivals

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » February 22nd, 2019, 5:40 am

Strange, considering they can get very DOOM running on the system but it's probably more complicated than that.

I never did get round to trying the beta but it sounds like I didn't miss much. I've really enjoyed Trials in the past, but the last one was a bit of a dud so this one really needs to fire on all cylinders.

Craig

Post by Craig » February 22nd, 2019, 11:51 am

It’s one of things that to look at from a layman’s point of view it’s tough to see why X runs so well and Y doesn’t. Something like the Sexy Brutale doesn’t feel like it should really push the system too much, but it runs really poorly.

I’m guessing it’s a mix of things - creative and smart hiding of seams, optimisation and cash. Given an infinite amount of cash, time and talent there are probably a lot of games that could run a whole lot better, but not everything can have the benefit of being Doom.

I’d imagine there are some games more suited to being downscaled, and it probably depends on when this kind of thing was considered - if you bake it early it’s going to be a lot easier.

I mean, this is speaking as a layman. The high bar set by Doom is nice to strive for, but I’d imagine it probably had a lot of cash pushed into it and has likely given a few false expectations.

Though of course that’s not to excuse or disregard ports that just don’t give a great experience. It’s always disappointing when that happens.