The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Alex79 »

I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I really want a Switch. My birthday is coming up, and my girlfriend has basically said I can have one if that's what I want. We'd never spend anything like that amount usually, but it's a 'big' birthday and she wanted to get me something I really wanted.

Then they all but announce the two new versions, which means when they're released either I could get a latest version, or the current version would probably drop in price.

I bought a PS4 a couple of months before the Pro was released, and although I never regretted it, I did always kind of think I could have got the Pro if I held out such a short time.

So do I get a current model Switch in May, or wait for the new model? What I don't want to happen is for games to be released that only work on the new model, because Nintendo have done that in the past with the 3DS, haven't they?

I'm not someone who needs to have the latest version of anything, as long as the old version can still play all the games. It'll kill me to wait until possibly the end of the year when I could have already had a glorious seven months of Switch gaming done by Christmas, but if the new version is essential I know I'll end up wishing I had held off.

Argh what do I do!?
Suits

Post by Suits »

That really is the million dollar question at the moment isn't it.

These two new systems, while likely based of where the noises are coming from and Nintendo's history with the 3DS and where that system is - seems like its just a matter of time until there is a hardware refresh.

It's awkward but I suspect the best thing to do is wait until Nintendo announce what the actual differences are between any new model.

For instance, if the upgraded unit is just QoL features as opposed to performance and key features then you'd be perfectly fine with the current model for years to come.

However, if Nintendo decide to go down a route of additional software downloads to boost performance of anything that makes the experience richer and smoother on new hardware then you may want to wait.

This is just my thoughts on this, I'm not getting excited until we know what the different models will do, it's likely they are coming but what they will do is still anyones guess.

I say wait, at least until E3, then if nothing is mentioned probably get the current model.

I appreciate this is probably the least fun answer :lol: .
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'd get an IOU and bank it for E3, yeah.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I think waiting is the smart move here.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Booooooo but I can't wait!!

:lol:

In other news: https://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2019/03/2 ... membership

Not sure if it works in UK or not but worth a try. Free year of Nintendo Online for Amazon Prime members.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Yoshi is absolutely lovely.
Suits

Post by Suits »

chase210 wrote: March 31st, 2019, 1:09 pm Yoshi is absolutely lovely.
Where are you up too man ??

Spoiler Tag just in case dude 😎.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

chase210 wrote: March 31st, 2019, 1:09 pm Yoshi is absolutely lovely.
I'm not in love with it so far. It definitely looks fabulous, but I wish that aesthetic was incorporated into the mechanics as much as Wooly World's was. Also, I've found it more frustrating than previous Yoshi games, I think the 3D egg-throwing makes quick shots a lot harder to aim, while the game simultaneously requires a lot more of them.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I'll probably give Yoshi a miss, at least for now.

It's been nice to revisit FFVII - the polygonal elements are impressively sharp and the 3x speed option is an absolute godsend - I don't think I'd have the patience to sit through the endless cut scenes otherwise, and it also makes grinding a lot more palatable.
Suits

Post by Suits »

JadePhoenix wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 12:34 am Also, I've found it more frustrating than previous Yoshi games, I think the 3D egg-throwing makes quick shots a lot harder to aim, while the game simultaneously requires a lot more of them.
Yes, I see what you mean, although I’ve not felt frustrated by it yet myself.

Are you using the hasty controls ?? I found these essential for the Woolly World late game stuff and instantly changed Crafted Worlds to those - granted they’re not exactly the same but I find it easier to use when on a auto move/scroll level and I’m required to fire into the foreground or background.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I was tempted by that Labo VR Bazooka kit as it looked fun to use and building the kits is fun anyway - then I was even more tempted by the fact that it is £35.

Then, there is the interaction with Super Mario Odyssy and Zelda:BotW which announced last night/this morning as a free update.

I’m pretty certain I’m going to get this now and have a mess around with a few beers.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Its 30 quid on game collection. I cannot wait to get my hands on it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I want that damn silly Labo storage box too but can’t find one in the UK 😕.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

If you do find it, let me know. I'm worried little one will find it and destroy it like that matrix man did to neo
Craig

Post by Craig »

If you guys want I can grab a few and ship them to the UK - it's just cardboard so the shipping costs will be pretty low.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Craig wrote: April 6th, 2019, 10:30 am If you guys want I can grab a few and ship them to the UK - it's just cardboard so the shipping costs will be pretty low.
Mate - YES PLEASE !!

If it’s easier, send them to me and I’ll forward them on this end.

That would be incredible 😍.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Sounds like a plan - get your orders in lads, if anyone wants one let me know within a week or so and I’ll grab them.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Hello!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Right, anyone else up for one of these Labo storage boxes from wonderful Craig ??

Or is it just me and Gargo ??
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

So, I got a $1000 tax return, and I'm considering buying a Switch... But all the stores I've browsed in only carry the stock model with no pack-in games. Are the game bundles some insanely rare quantity? Or have we just not got one in a while? Also, I haven't been paying attention, but is there a hardware revision formally announced?

Thanks people more knowledgeable than the idiot at Best Buy who just me to just buy an XB1.