The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Stanshall »

KissMammal wrote: April 19th, 2019, 7:13 am After about 30mins of playing, I have concluded that Cuphead is not a game for me.
If I could give one piece of advice it would be to buy the Chaser homing weapon. It means you can just focus on dodging, etc.

I bounced off the game many time on the XB until someone suggested this and it gave me a way in.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I have the chaser. It seems very weak though, so not sure how much of an advantage it is, at least on the 'easier' bosses.

I should have known better - I generally hate boss encounters, especially long, drawn out, multi-stage ones. I just find them so stressful, something I need to get out of the way so I can get back to the 'fun' bit of a game. I still have nightmares about the bosses from DK Topical Freeze, for instance.

I had heard CH was a difficult game, but that can be very subjective - some people complained about Shovel Knight and Hyper Light Drifter being too difficult, whereas that wasn't my experience at all. Same for Tropical Freeze, in which I only really struggled with the bosses.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Ah...bad luck with 'Boss Rush: The Game' :(
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

As I say, I should have known better. I had heard that the game started as a boss rush, but then the devs added in more conventional levels to make it more of a traditional Contra style run and gun. But so far there's only been a single 'level' and about 4 bosses, so I guess not?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'd say it's about 7:2 ratio of bosses to R&G. I think it's enjoyable taken entirely on its own term but pretty singular and unforgiving.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KissMammal wrote: April 19th, 2019, 6:24 pm I had heard that the game started as a boss rush, but then the devs added in more conventional levels to make it more of a traditional Contra style run and gun. But so far there's only been a single 'level' and about 4 bosses, so I guess not?
I think that’s right mate.

It’s was as you describe, the MS requested that it was fleshed our a touch more, world map, boss approach etc...
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I think it's enjoyable taken entirely on its own term but pretty singular and unforgiving.
Yeah, it's surprisingly niche in appeal for such a high profile game. I'd be interested to see the numbers on players who bought it vs the percentage of them that actually persisted with it for more than an hour or two. Even the 'easy' mode seems unreasonably difficult to me compared to most games of the same genre, and also comes with a fairly patronising disclaimer attached to it - always a good way to turn the player off I find...

There's a whole wider conversation about game difficulty going on at the moment, but from where I stand I don't think there is really a justification in this day and age for making a game with such a deliberately forbidding difficulty curve beyond a kind of elitism. Not every game has to be universal in appeal, but a talented developer can surely make a game that can cater to and offer some kind of experience for a range of ability levels, at the very least to ensure that a large number of players don't walk away feeling like they've wasted their money? By all means, ramp up the difficulty, but maybe ease players in with a handful of slightly less demanding stages first?

Even with Hollow Knight - a game I strongly disliked, in part due to its difficulty - I felt like it at least had a difficulty curve and I was able to play for a few hours, and could have certainly got a lot further still had I been enjoying the game more.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The difficult parts of Hollow Knight though were the world traversal more than the enemies I found. There were a few bosses that took me a few goes, but on the whole the only bits I got really stumped on for more than a short while was some of the more fiendish platforming.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Mario Maker 2 releases on Switch on the 28th June.

If you pre-order in Japan you get a choice of themed plushy and a Mario Maker themed stylus - which I want 😳.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Suits wrote: April 25th, 2019, 8:26 am Mario Maker 2 releases on Switch on the 28th June.

If you pre-order in Japan you get a choice of themed plushy and a Mario Maker themed stylus - which I want 😳.
Where the hell do you keep all this stuff!!!

I'm going to get this game for sure. Very excited :D
Suits

Post by Suits »

hazeredmist wrote: April 25th, 2019, 12:40 pm Where the hell do you keep all this stuff!!!

I'm going to get this game for sure. Very excited :D
I have a room :lol: .

Yeah, hopefully it’ll kick off in the CandR creators thread again - that was fun that was.

Micheal never did find all my hidden coins :lol: .
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

BOTW in VR is a bit hhhrrrggguhhhhhhhh
Suits

Post by Suits »

So Craig, who currently resides in Japan often sends me over wonderful, delightful, tremendous things..

The most recent package contained three of thee Labo storage boxes that are currently only available in Japan, from Club Nintendo.

I think they were also available for a short period of time from Club Nintendo in North America also.

There was one for me, one for Sean and one for Darren.

They were pretty cheap as it goes, although postage (as always) was expensive.

All in, these cost £20 each.

Anyway, I'll let the pictures do the talking but I will say these are rad and offer a neat, safe, storage for your cardboard contraptions.

Nice one Craig - legend.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Wonderful stuff.
Craig

Post by Craig »

They look nice! Glad to be of help. Lucky the boxes weren’t region locked and threw out all your PAL Labo stuff.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Craig wrote: May 1st, 2019, 10:25 am They look nice! Glad to be of help. Lucky the boxes weren’t region locked and threw out all your PAL Labo stuff.
Haha! I embarrassed myself on the train when I laughed at this!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I got a Switch, woohoooooo!

Hit me up with some recommendations of games and must have accessories (best screen protector and carry case?)

I'll be getting Zelda for sure today and Mario is also on the list, but anything else? Was thinking of Dragons Dogma but probably don't want to be playing that same time as Zelda.

Any recommendations for sub ten pound games on the eshop too? I'll be getting Nintendo Online so was thinking of grabbing Rocket League...
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Did you get a nice cake, too? :P

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is one of the best titles in the series, and is especially worthwhile if you haven't bought the WiiU version. Still has a very active online community, too.

I hear Octopath Traveler is a nice modern throwback to classic turn-based Final Fantasy.

Alex79uk wrote: May 5th, 2019, 7:24 am Any recommendations for sub ten pound games on the eshop too?
Obviously I haven't played either of those yet and I don't know how much they cost exactly, but Fast RMX is supposed to be a great little game and the closest modern equivalent to old-school F-Zero.

Like it's been mentioned several times in the other thread, Danmaku Unlimited 3 might be worth looking into if you're interested in jumping aboard the shmup train.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Alex79uk wrote: May 5th, 2019, 7:24 am Any recommendations for sub ten pound games on the eshop too? I'll be getting Nintendo Online so was thinking of grabbing Rocket League...
Nice one! Here’s a few recommendations for sub-tenner...
Minit
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
Pinball FX3
Gunbird 2
Do a search for Sega Ages, ACA NEOGEO and Arcade Archives too. Might be something you can’t live without!

For a teeny bit more, Golf Story, Stardew Valley, Baba is You, Lumines Remastered and Gris.

If you’re getting Rocket League, make sure it’s on sale. It is for sub £10 every time there’s a sale. Same for The Capcom Beat ‘Em Up Bundle and all of the Mega Man collections.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks both, I'll check those out :)

Aside: has anyone tried Pinball FX3 on Switch? I'm a big fan on PlayStation, however the Switch version seems fundamentally broken. You cannot activate both flippers at the same time!? It just refuses to do so. If you press both triggers at once it only flips one flipper, and the other will not activate until you release one of the triggers. Utterly bizarre, and renders the game completely unplayable for me. How very disappointing :(