The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
stvnorman

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by stvnorman »

Alex79uk wrote: May 5th, 2019, 10:02 am Aside: has anyone tried Pinball FX3 on Switch? I'm a big fan on PlayStation, however the Switch version seems fundamentally broken. You cannot activate both flippers at the same time!?
I’ve played for 10+ hours on the Switch and probably double that on PS4 and I’ve never noticed that! I’m also not going to investigate on mine now in case it breaks the game for me too. I’m going to do my best to forget I ever read your post instead!

UPDATE. Couldn’t resist. No problem on Sorcerer’s Lair or Fish Tales, which I assume is what you tried, nor on the Williams or Universal tables I’ve bought. Something weird going on with yours.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hmm, OK thats weird. Maybe it's the controllers then. I'll try it again when I get home. Was also playing with the charging cable in which I know can cause issues with other devices (can occasionally lock out my Vita buttons and causes my phone to behave strangle). Glad to know it's not a known problem, though.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ah, sweet mate, enjoy - you’ll appreciate the functionality of the console massively.

Then there’s stacks of great games.......
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Gosh, people were not joking about the Switch tax. Loads of games I'm eyeing up are a clear £5-10 more expensive than their PS4 counterparts. Physical releases I can understand a cartridge is more expensive to produce than a disc, but can't really see how they justify digital.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Alex, a few thoughts from me on Switch recommendations. I've been putting together a little buyer's guide for a mate so thought I'd use this opportunity to finish it off.

Hori Hard Case is the one I use. Slightly bulkier than the other official slim case but not by much. Feels much sturdier.

The Satisfye Grip is the only handheld grip worth buying, in my experience of several. It's a bit more costly than any others but it makes handheld mode feel 90% like the Pro Controller. It's superb and the only handheld option which doesn't get uncomfortable relatively quickly.

In terms of games (all in my opinion, of course):

Top Tier Nintendo
Spoiler: show

Splatoon 2

Still a massive player base, loads of modes, incredible pick up and play value, really fun, unique, the kind of game which takes over some folks' life. I've not given it nearly as much time as it deserves but I've enormously enjoyed the fifty hours or whatever that I've spent with it. I play a few games whenever the mood takes me and it's always great. The regular Splatfest events are always great fun, too.

MK8D

The best Mario Kart game apart from Super Mario Kart, for me. Again, I've not given it nearly as much time as it deserves but every time I play whether single player or online, it's an absolute riot. Absolutely reeks of premium Nintendo quality control.

Smash Bros Ultimate

I've never got into Smash, never enjoyed the floaty combat or the apparent chaos and randomness. Turns out I'm a dunce if this is anything to go by. Amazing balance of an enormous roster, every character is fun and interesting to play, there's a colossal amount of game here, online is actually great, local is even better. It's like stuffing a blunderbuss with the last thirty years of Nintendo history and blasting it into your own face. An orgiastic approach to making a video game.

Mario Odyssey

I know it's on your list, not even worth discussing whether you should get it. An essential Switch purchase. Not quite Galaxy tier for me but what the hell is? The highest peaks are probably as good as anything I've played.

Quality Nintendo with Reservations
ARMS

Nothing like it appears. Ignore motion controls, ignore the Wii boxing/party game preconceptions, ignore the goofy aesthetic. This is an incredibly deep and hardcore fighting game. It take a while to click, but it's almost alongside BotW and Odyssey for me. I absolutely hammered it, got well into the intricacies of the different arms and characters and experimented loads and had an absolute blast with it. It's a real shame it didn't click for many people and seemed DOA (despite selling a couple of million), it's like nothing else and for those who played it when the player base was stacked, the Party Crash weekends (which are still going) were probably the best moments I've had with any online multiplayer game this gen. Local MP against my mate who also had the game were even better, riotous fun. If you see it cheap, give it a go because it might just click.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Gorgeous, superb level design, top tier soundtrack, unusual feel and rhythm which take some time to adjust to, but once it clicks you'll be rolling through the stages having a very giddy old time. They're tough but very well balanced and you always feel you're making progress with either your execution or understanding. The bosses are a real letdown for me, though, because they're too difficult and too long. It's the only thing which stops this being primo top tier.

Hyrule Warriors DX

For a good while, this completely consumed my life. It's such a brilliant minor variation on the musou formula and although I've tried several others and find them all perfectly fun and playable, this is the only one which has ever truly gripped me. It must be the recognition of the characters and world and weapons and music and all that business. It's just an incredibly fun game to fire up and spin plates. There's some light strategic elements, there are little side quests and bonuses and loot drops and skill trees and all these overlapping systems to keep you engaged but more than anything else, it's just great fun to smash your way through hundreds and thousands of popcorn enemies while the Zelda themes triumphantly parp in the background. It's repetitive as hell, there's no getting around that, but it's also much deeper and more challenging than it superficially appears and when you're dealing with the macro level of controlling the battlefield alongside the micro level of slaughtering enemies as quickly and stylishly as possible, while trying to knock off side quests along the way, you reach a particular flow state like little else I've played.

They Have Their Moments
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Goofier and more overtly anime than the XCX on the Wii U, this just about hits more than it misses. It has a lot of charm, an enormous sense of scale and an amazing soundtrack but you need to have a high tolerance for dreadful writing, an abysmal map/quest system and massive incongruous tits. The writing is sometimes lovely, capturing an exotic Mysterious Cities of Gold humanist camaraderie but mostly it's dogshit. Stuff like this:
Boy: Well, gang, we'd best hit the road!

Girl: We'd better try not to really hit it, for once, mind you!

Lion (disgruntled): Come on now, I thought we agreed not to bring that up again.

All: *laughter*

Girl: For the avoidance of doubt, I think you agreed!

Boy: Actually, when I said hit the road, I should have said hit the sea because we're getting on a boat!

It's really this shit. Actually, it's worse, I just remembered 'blushy crushy'. Any time I feel an existentialist pang about the inevitable death of the sun, I just remember this and feel glad that it will one day be erased from the universe:

https://youtu.be/fk0gyrX1W3U
It's actually a fun game though and the combat system is pretty interesting once you get into it. Still miles off finishing it, though.

Octopath Traveler

Looks fantastic, sounds even better. Combat is satisfying and I generally can't bear JRPG turn based stuff. The stories are low key and quite atmospheric, not much in the way of apocalyptic drama, but I think that's part of the charm. It is structured with a very formulaic episodic intent which I found a little dull after a while, though. I could see how it might be someone's favourite ever game but the individual stories lack a cohesion and there's no camaraderie or sense of grand adventure, which is what would ordinarily appeal to me in the genre.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

A lovely game, gorgeous little concept, clever and amusing and delightful. It's also sometimes challenging and nicely paced, perfect to pick up and play. It's just (without being rude) a tiny tiny bit boring to me, as someone who generally plays games for either a bit more mechanical challenge or an outright commitment to immersion. This is more of 'a nice time' which is sometimes what you want.

Third Party Bangers and Best Ports
Bayonetta 2 - Arguably not as good as the original but they're both 10/10 games. If you missed it on Wii U, it's a no brainer.

Bleed/Bleed 2 - Usually available for bugger all in the sales, these are both very good. A combination of twin stick shooter, action platforming, Bayonetta witch time mechanics, multiple load outs and power ups and replayable levels and goofy cartoon violence.

Celeste - A smart take on the twitchy Meat Boy formula with pixel graphics and a very pretty chip tune soundtrack. It sounds generic as fuck but it's a masterpiece of gameplay mechanics and level design. The allegorical narrative about depression is a bit trite but the gameplay and music soar far above its thematic aspirations.

Cuphead - A modern classic, for me. Contra style gameplay mixed with a unique art style and perfectly balanced, robust challenge. A no brainer, again, at this price.

Dark Souls Remastered - This is literally the PS3 version running at a rock solid 30fps. No dodgy lighting or textures or any of the crap the PS4 remaster added. This is Dark Souls exactly as you know and love it, but without any performance issues.

Dead Cells - Chunky, fluid, action platforming roguelike. I really enjoyed the twenty hours or so I put into it. A fair amount of weapon variety, a handful of secrets, a stiff challenge and lots of replayability.

Just Shapes & Beats - Kind of a dodge-em-up rhythm game. The music and visuals sync in some pretty creative ways and your little avatar has to dodge around the screen to avoid the patterns. It's definitely different and fun, but your preference/tolerance for electro house will dictate how much you'll get out of it, I imagine.

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight - I vastly prefer this to Hollow Knight which outstays its welcome by a long way. This is a tight, pretty, micro Metroidvania-lite with Dark Souls/Bloodborne influences, some cool weapons and charms and a gorgeous atmosphere. It's like a five hour game, or so. It's tough at times but always nicely balanced and respects your time. Deserves more love.

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate - The 'Best Of' the original style MonHun games, which is arguably the best style. There is so much depth and content to this game I'll never do more than scratch the surface. Online is still rammed with Japanese players to help you get that rare drop for that next piece of armour.

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection - Online is pretty much dead but as a collection of absolute classics, this has been a constant on the Switch for me. I've only played twenty hours or so but there's such enormous appeal to both pick up and play and spend hours learning the intricacies of some of these games.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ - I bounced off this several times before I got the Switch version. Three hundred hours later I had to uninstall it.

Virtua Racing - Absolutely shit-hot port. I've barely played the original, maybe a couple of times at the arcade, but this is so good. Fast, smooth, exciting. It feels futuristic in a strange way. Love it.
Hope some of that is useful. If you're interested in shmups, I could list forty in order of recommendation, so just give us a shout.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Haha, thanks all. And a great guide there, Stanshall, thanks for posting it :)
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

clippa wrote: May 5th, 2019, 3:06 pm
Stanshall wrote: May 5th, 2019, 2:04 pmIf you're interested in shmups, I could list forty in order of recommendation, so just give us a shout.
You haven't seen him in the shmups thread, dipping his toe? You've changed man, can't see past your own nose since you finished munchymimisandwich. It's all me me me, nursing your throbbing ego, not even noticing the friendly, worried faces around you.
Hehe, just been marching in circles in the back yard with my paper hat on feeling very very pleased.

But, err, turns out Arrange Mode is ape tier so we can scratch that 1CC... :oops:
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Welcome aboard the Switch train Alex!!

You’re right about the switch tax but I think you’ll enjoy the regular eshop sales. Also the Satisfye grip is peerless if you want to make handheld comfortable. Friend code for online? It’s mostly just cool to check out what people are playing.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Loads of great games mentioned here but if you missed it on Xbox, then Inside is terrific and I think Steamworld Dig 2 and Yoku's island express are two of the best platforming metroidvania games I've ever played.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I'm not 100% sure what all's on the Switch, but I can def recommend Iconoclasts, because I do know that one is. Probably the best Metroidvania I've played -- though it's a bit more linear and a lot for story-driven than, say, Super Metroid.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, Switch-TAX is gnarly.

What’s your friend code man ??
Suits

Post by Suits »

clippa wrote: May 5th, 2019, 9:47 pm hehe, robocod? Bloody hell, that takes me back
I can vividly remember wanting to cry when I rented Auquatic Games thinking it was like the others and realising that it wasn't.

I was so scared I simply just didn't tell my Dad and said it was rad.

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Was James Pond popular in the UK? Because I've heard it reminisced over on the Internet, but it's kind of treated as shovelware over here. I remember seeing them in bargain bins, and I've never heard anyone talk about the series in my own circles - Social media or IRL. Is it one of those things from the Amiga or something?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I really really miss the Amiga. Just realised. Formative stuff. I wonder how Apidya holds up now...
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

My memories of James Pond have less to do with actually playing the game (as I haven't), and more from the British gaming mags circa early 1990's, CVG etc.

Pre-internet most of my worldly gaming knowledge (from an Australian POV) was CVG, or EGM, etc, and that formed a general perspective that the UK were more PC-focused and the US being more console heavy, with the occasion article about this mysterious land called Japan.

So much James Pond, PC/BC Kid, Sensible Soccer, Teenage Mutant Ninja/Hero Turtle, Smash TV, etc...
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Stanshall wrote: May 6th, 2019, 12:01 am I really really miss the Amiga. Just realised. Formative stuff. I wonder how Apidya holds up now...
It holds up really well although I mainly play it for the soundtrack!

I’m kind of hoping it’s on the antstream service as it’s becoming increasingly difficult to hook up the Amiga.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

If anyone feels like adding me, my Switch friend code is:

SW-8257-5116-1420
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Simonsloth wrote: May 6th, 2019, 6:39 am
Stanshall wrote: May 6th, 2019, 12:01 am I really really miss the Amiga. Just realised. Formative stuff. I wonder how Apidya holds up now...
It holds up really well although I mainly play it for the soundtrack!

I’m kind of hoping it’s on the antstream service as it’s becoming increasingly difficult to hook up the Amiga.
I never thought about that. I don't have any outrageous expectations of AntStream but I'll definitely throw them a few quid if I can get a short term sub to try it out.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

There are some pretty accurate Amiga emulators about, although of course they're no match for original hardware and a 14" CRT telly.

I've still got one knocking about somewhere. I'd love to get my hands on it to play Cannon Fodder and Manchester United Europe again, if only I could remember which ex's loft it's in :(
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Stanshall wrote: May 5th, 2019, 2:04 pm Hori Hard Case is the one I use. Slightly bulkier than the other official slim case but not by much. Feels much sturdier.
If that's the one with the inward dimples on the front, I also use it and have been very happy with it. I also have the same type of Hori case for the Vita.