The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I can't stop re-watching the FE:TH trailer. I love the time skip and implied conflict pitting the protagonists against one another. I'm getting super strong Radiant Dawn vibes from it and my mind is now racing with theories and possibilities. Dunno if that's a good or a bad thing, though.

Dimitri going full Big Boss... YES, PLEASE! :o
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Both FE: Three Houses and Astral Chain are already out this summer? Going to be expensive months.

Banjo and BotW2 reveal kicked ass.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Neither Game Informer, Eurogamer, Siliconera nor even Nintendo Life appear to have written a single article about the new Fire Emblem trailer, unlike virtually anything else shown during the Direct.

It's gonna be amazing and fly under everybody's radar yet again. :(
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

I have lost interest in E3 over the years, of course there is always stuff announced that I am excited for but it has been a really long time since an announcement made me go "HOLY SHIT!".

Banjo in Smash made me say just that. This has been on so many Smash fan's wish lists that when I seen the thumbnail at first on YouTube I initially went, "probably some nonsense clickbait but I will give it a shot". That reveal trailer was incredible, all the subtle little references thrown in and the Rare era DK characters cheering their arrival was a wonderful touch.

There is a lot of stuff on the Switch I want to check out but this, more than anything, is really pushing me to pick one up. Unfortunately at the moment, time and money are just not there for me to fully invest in getting another console. Maybe next year... Still floored this announcement is a real thing, Darren must be beaming from ear to ear!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yep.

Happy with that overall.

Watched it twice now.

Also nice to hear that they are patching in the Friendly Co-Op to Mario Maker 2.

Z:LA literally looked incredible I thought.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Going to watch it again with the kids tomorrow, when they come home from school.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Jobobonobo wrote: June 11th, 2019, 8:54 pmDarren must be beaming from ear to ear!
And Ryan. He had no idea and he works at Nintendo!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

KSubzero1000 wrote: June 11th, 2019, 8:51 pm Neither Game Informer, Eurogamer, Siliconera nor even Nintendo Life appear to have written a single article about the new Fire Emblem trailer, unlike virtually anything else shown during the Direct.
Unless I missed something it was just a montage of cut scenes, it’s not going to be high on the list of reports to file. I assume it’s getting a demo as part of treehouse live, so we’ll get more then.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Needless to say, but the prospect of a BotW sequel is really intriguing.

I said as much on the podcast thread, but to me BotW was a great experience but felt at times a bit like a proof of concept in need of tightening up.

No doubt Nintendo have a lot of ideas to implement.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 11th, 2019, 9:18 pm And Ryan. He had no idea and he works at Nintendo!
Considering how big gaming reveals get leaked so often these days, that is truly impressive. Must have very tight security in Nintendo HQ!
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Just home and caught up with everything I missed. Mana collection got me going but £34.99 a bit pricey when I’ve got Secret of Mana barely touched on the SNES Classic. Definitely buying the Contra collection and Wargroove in the Switch E3 sale before I go to bed. Crypt of the Necrodancer also tempting at £3.59. Interested in Crystal Chronicles but don’t suppose it’s going to be much use in my generally single-player world. Never played Panzer Dragoon so fancying that. And Spyro will be a definite buy when it’s on sale after Christmas. I like the look of Fire Emblem and Luigi’s Mansion but expect they’ll always cost more than my interest can justify. Finally, I’m glad Animal Crossing is delayed because I’ve got way too much to get through before that time sink appears!
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Yeah - I was on the fence about Necrodancer, but for $3.99 (down from $20) it's well worth a punt!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

KissMammal wrote: June 12th, 2019, 12:02 am Yeah - I was on the fence about Necrodancer, but for $3.99 (down from $20) it's well worth a punt!
I give Necrodancer my full approval. Tons of fun. I keep meaning to try it with my DDR pads, too.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Having had a few hours longer to digest yesterdays evenings Nintendo Direct, I’m still coming away rather buoyant about the next 6-9 months.

The only bad bit of news about yesterdays announcements I feel is that Animal Crossing delayed until March 2020 but at least we now have rather a lot of information about a name, theme, game mechanics and direction.

Zelda: LA looks brilliant and that dungeon mode, seems interesting. The way I heard it is that you collect dungeon pieces, to the place together, to beat challenges. Seems interesting and may add some additional attention to what I remember being a short game.

It also has a delicious Special Edition.

Astral Chain looks interesting, more so than Demon X Machina for me personally and my enthusiasm from DxM has now transferred to Astral Chain. Also, its out at the end of August.

I thought a lot of Nintendo’s releases dates were positive, there seems to be an awful lot coming very soon.

Luigi’s Mansion, surely has to be released around Halloween, I bet they are aiming for that but not stating it, as there’s still work to be done on it. The multiplayer is wicked, it looks like a version of the multiplayer that was on the Dark Moon, having challenges and little puzzles to solve is always fun and rewarding as a group. I was always in for this, can’t wait.

Whereas I don’t have the personal affection, or nostalgia for Rare and it’s IP, the Banjo in Smash reveal was good and the buzz and excitement it generated was good to see.

Fire Emblem I’m in for and will be my Holiday game this year in Greece. I didn’t need to see any more of that.

Zelda announcement was cool.

Many are saying that there was always going to be another Zelda game but to end the Direct with this was ideal I thought. The fact that it was stated as a BotW sequel is interesting and it looked very dark and seeing Link and Zelda together gets the mind thinking about if that has any clue about gameplay style – maybe you finally play as Zelda and need to rescue Link from that dark power.

Also, that uncomfortable audio noise that plays over the trailer is INCREDIBLE.

Then there’s lots of other nice little things coming about, that I don’t have anything special to say about but I think if you have a Switch there’s plenty to be excited about. Witcher, Alien Isolation, Caydence of Hyrule, etc…. that’s all pretty much on the immediate horizon.
Craig

Post by Craig »

If you reverse and speed up the music in the trailer it’s the Goron mines from Twilight Princess!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Craig wrote: June 12th, 2019, 8:59 am If you reverse and speed up the music in the trailer it’s the Goron mines from Twilight Princess!
Man - no way.

That’s rad.

The purple smoke stuff is the same from TP too isn’t it ??
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I spotted the TP sound instantly, to the point I thought they were about to announce TP for Switch!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

The only thing I'm really excited about is a Breath of the Wild sequel, but even that is something I could happily wait for, though I am glad it's coming to Switch. That was unexpected for me with this E3 considering they're peddling the Link's Awakening remaster too.

I don't really mind that there is basically nothing else first-party I'm bothered about this E3 (or even in the pipeline at all), there is so much other good stuff on the Switch it just doesn't matter.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Kotaku has some hands on impressions of Cadence of Hyrule. While it seems like it doesn’t have the same crazy steep learning curve of Crypt of the Necrodancer, it doesn’t look like it’s been dumbed down either, still seems pretty tough.