The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KissMammal

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by KissMammal »

I think the fact that I have little to no interest in at least 3 major upcoming first party titles (Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem) yet there is still plenty of stuff to be excited about (Doom Eternal, Mario Maker 2, Dragon Quest XI, Witcher III, Luigi's Mansion, Link's Awakening, plus many indies like My Friend Pedro, Cadence of Hyrule, CrossCode) bodes well for the overall health of the lineup.

The Switch really feels like it's in full swing now, I'm very happy with how it's all going.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Well here’s the half hour Treehouse segment on Fire Emblem...

Suits

Post by Suits »

Cadence of Hyrule is out today I think.

I plan on settling down with that tonight and giving it a go 👍🏽.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

So I’ve watched the Fire Emblem gameplay stuff and... I’m probably going to pass.

The whole ‘high school’ vibe is pretty off putting (though I know that’s only going to be the first act of the game), but more than that it just looks very bland. Maybe I’m more used to the OTT style of the recent 3ds games (and especially the iOS one).

Maybe when it reviews I’ll change my mind, but it’s off my list for the time being.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm disappointed there was nothing about Mario Galaxy or Wind Waker on Switch, or SNES games coming to online :(
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

No Metroid Prime Trilogy neither.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Out of all of the obvious stuff that’s always mentioned I did expect at least one Wii U port, either 3D World, Pikmin 3 or Wonderful 101.

But hey, there’s plenty of time left this year for any of those. You know what Nintendo are like with Directs.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

All of those would be very welcome!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, you’re not wrong.

Word on the street is that the Animal Crossing: New Horizons delay is so that Nintendo can protect their staff from crunch and burnout.

Excellent if true.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

A port of 3D World would be ace.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

KissMammal wrote: June 13th, 2019, 5:28 pm A port of 3D World would be ace.
Would love a 3D World port. I really enjoyed 3D Land on 3DS and never got to play World, and there must be literally millions more like me.

Surprised they’ve not done it already!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I realise I'm probably shouting in to an empty room here, but I don't suppose anyone has played Cricket 19 on Switch have they? I'm eyeing it up. Been after a new Cricket game for a while, but it's the kind of game that would be perfect on handheld rather than PS4. An over here, an innings there.

Anyone?
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Alex79uk wrote: June 14th, 2019, 10:47 am I realise I'm probably shouting in to an empty room here, but I don't suppose anyone has played Cricket 19 on Switch have they? I'm eyeing it up. Been after a new Cricket game for a while, but it's the kind of game that would be perfect on handheld rather than PS4. An over here, an innings there.

Anyone?
It's developed by Big Ant, whose Don Bradman series is *excellent* so without knowing anything about it, you're in good hands. I have played the two DB games so speaking from experience, they were very good. I was eyeing up the last one, which I've never uninstalled, the other day, so if Cricket 19 is out for PS4 too I think I'll have a look.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Or if all that is too much effort, The Guardian described it as “the best cricket game yet” in its review yesterday: https://www.theguardian.com/games/2019/ ... nt-studios
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

clippa wrote: June 14th, 2019, 4:24 pm You really do have to have played the previous 18 instalments. They're very lore and story heavy.
The three part novelisation "Rise of the Bothemian knights" covers it all in detail, quicker than playing through all the games. Avoid the audiobooks read by famous commentators though, their laid back laconic style doesn't really translate to reading out 800 page novels. The audio version of the first in the trilogy lasts for 26 days and the breaks for lunch and tea aren't edited out.
:lol:
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 14th, 2019, 4:43 pm Or if all that is too much effort, The Guardian described it as “the best cricket game yet” in its review yesterday: https://www.theguardian.com/games/2019/ ... nt-studios
YESSS!

That review is a bit odd. Did he only give it 3 stars?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Clippa, that was very funny.

And yeah, even the word cricket is like a dog whistle to me. I've no idea why.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

clippa wrote: June 14th, 2019, 4:24 pm You really do have to have played the previous 18 instalments. They're very lore and story heavy.
The three part novelisation "Rise of the Bothemian knights" covers it all in detail, quicker than playing through all the games. Avoid the audiobooks read by famous commentators though, their laid back laconic style doesn't really translate to reading out 800 page novels. The audio version of the first in the trilogy lasts for 26 days and the breaks for lunch and tea aren't edited out.

I think Stanshall likes his cricket, is there any way of summoning him on this forum?
He'll turn up eventually.
Haha this made me guffaw. A proper belly laugh well done.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Haha top class. Thanks all :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm about 20 odd hours in to BOTW and have hit a bit of a snag. It seems like I'm being asked to just go around and photograph landmarks that are in my album, but how am I supposed that know where they are?