The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Flabyo »

Alex79uk wrote: June 20th, 2019, 8:19 am I'm about 20 odd hours in to BOTW and have hit a bit of a snag. It seems like I'm being asked to just go around and photograph landmarks that are in my album, but how am I supposed that know where they are?
1) that’s an optional side quest, and quite tricky (though it’s worth doing)
2) working them out from just the photo and your map is possible, but you may not have been to all of the places yet so they seem harder than they are. (Also, it depends how good you are at map reading)
3) you’ll know when you’re in the right place for each one.
Spoiler: show
(What you’re actually being asked to do is stand at the place the photo in your album was taken)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hmm thanks, the lady who sent me said I had to stand in at least one of the places before going back to her at the village, and I only seem to have the divine beasts or going straight to Ganon as my other options, so it seems like I have to do at least one of them before continuing?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

You’re at the point where ‘these are the things you need to do, go do them in any order you like’ is the instruction. Game has just gone non-linear on you, it’s why a lot of us really like it.

You’re going to inch all of your active quests forward a little bit at a time, in parallel, as you explore. And you’ll find new ones as you do so. It’s not *quite* Elder Scrolls, but it’s more like that than it is a traditional Zelda experience.

If you *really* want to do one of the photos now, I think one of them isn’t far from Kakariko, (I might also be forgetting the start of the quest, it might be that you’re almost handheld to one, it’s been a while)
Spoiler: show
The trick to them is to first see what’s in the background of the photos, do you recognise any of those things from where you’ve already been? If you’ve not been anywhere other than Kakariko since leaving the start point, the answer is probably no for all but maybe two of them.

One of them has the split mountain in the background, you may well have already walked past the right spot on your way to Kakariko. Compare the photo with your map, there’s only one side of the mountain you can see it looking like that from, so it’s just a case of working out how far away to stand.

When you’re in the right area of one there’s a glowing circle to walk into to trigger the quest progression. Some of them are pretty tricky, at least one I completely stumbled upon by accident when I played. Others I worked out where on the map it must be, but couldn’t get to it until a fair bit later on because the area wasn’t yet reachable for me.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah ha! I saw one of those glowing circles from a distance when I climbed a mountain! Cool, thanks for the tips :)
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I was able to grab Persona Q2 for a not unreasonable £40. I’m trying to finish my ears 3DS games collection before they become even more expensive.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

If I've got one criticism of Breath Of The Wild (and I have only got one at the moment), it's the combat. The combat is poor. You're never quite sure whether you're going to be able to dodge an attack, or parry quite right, and generally end up spamming attack when you get the chance. Coupled with the low durability of weapons and shield in the early game (and I still think I'm early game after 20 hours, I've barely done any missions and 80% of the map is still in darkness), it just makes most enemy encounters feel rather random and frustrating. Anything above the level of those goblin things, forget about it.

Other than that, I love everything else about the game. Just kind of wish they'd take a little more inspiration from elsewhere with regard to combat.
Suits

Post by Suits »

As you get further into the game, you will have trouble just bowling into a pack of white Bokoblins and spamming attack - let alone any of the more serious things.

It’ll be all about parry’s, doges and using the environment.

I do understand your criticism though.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

The switch pro controller is a thing of beauty. Highly recommended.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Something has gone skewiff with my Mario Maker 2 pre-order with Nintendo and they don’t think they can fullfill my pre-order at all 😕.

I’ll swing by Argos or Smyths tomorrow to pick up a copy at very least but I seem to have missed out on my stylus, pencil and notebook. Which I know is nonsense but I like that sort of stuff.

Gutted.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Alex, the thing with dodging attacks in BotW is that your dodge direction matters. You’re not simply pressing the temporary invincibility button when you dodge. So when an enemy attacks with a vertical or overhead attack, you dodge side ways and when they attack horizontally, you dodge with a backflip, to be safe. Throw in all the physics based stuff you can do and getting the timing of parries right and you can have tons of fun with the game’s combat.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Michiel K wrote: June 27th, 2019, 4:06 pm You’re not simply pressing the temporary invincibility button when you dodge. So when an enemy attacks with a vertical or overhead attack, you dodge side ways and when they attack horizontally, you dodge with a backflip, to be safe.
...My "god hand" twitches. :P
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Psyvariar D is out on Switch.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Possible hope for Nintendo expanding to more consoles available to Switch Online subscribers?

"At this place we cannot tell new information about future classic hardware among others, but we are thinking about providing an extension of the online service which is currently providing Famicom [NES] software, as well as other methods of providing them. We also recognise that there are opinions wanting to play past titles.”

Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/new ... eyond-nes/
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Knowing Nintendo, that probably means they'll start to expand to Game Boy titles as well as NES :lol:
Suits

Post by Suits »

KissMammal wrote: June 27th, 2019, 10:17 pm Knowing Nintendo, that probably means they'll start to expand to Game Boy titles as well as NES :lol:
Sick.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I’d buy a second subscription for Game Boy titles with Switch Online!

For anyone that’s into them, most Zelda Amiibo ever are back in stock on the Nintendo UK store. Or were when I looked a minute ago...
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 27th, 2019, 5:22 pm Psyvariar D is out on Switch.
Talk about a bleeding stealth drop after all this time!!! :P
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Very much enjoying Virtua Racing, however online is completely unplayable! It's just awful, awful lag. Frame rate drops to about 15fps and input delay means you literally cannot steer the car! Bizarre.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Alex79uk wrote: June 29th, 2019, 12:31 am Very much enjoying Virtua Racing, however online is completely unplayable! It's just awful, awful lag. Frame rate drops to about 15fps and input delay means you literally cannot steer the car! Bizarre.
Yep. I had one game online and it was awful. Hope they can patch that. I saw you playing when I was yesterday and had a dig to see if you could invite someone to a race but wasn’t obvious if you can.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

stvnorman wrote: June 29th, 2019, 8:47 am
Alex79uk wrote: June 29th, 2019, 12:31 am Very much enjoying Virtua Racing, however online is completely unplayable! It's just awful, awful lag. Frame rate drops to about 15fps and input delay means you literally cannot steer the car! Bizarre.
Yep. I had one game online and it was awful. Hope they can patch that. I saw you playing when I was yesterday and had a dig around to see if you could invite someone to a race too, but wasn’t obvious if you can.