The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Alex79uk

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Alex79uk »

Ha, I guess not.

Heads up for any Pinball FX fans, they've got some of the table packs at discount on the Switch at the moment, including some of the Williams tables. If you've not tried any of the Williams tables before, they're very different to the in house Pinball FX tables. A lot faster and more difficult. Take some getting used to, but once you do they're so much more satisfying to play. I just grabbed pack 2, which has the Attack From Mars table, mainly just because I remember really enjoying the real life version in a pub I used to drink in ~25 years ago or so.

KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Angry_Kurt wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 10:15 am
Does anyone find it odd that Nintendo revealed Paper Mario not via a Nintendo Direct? It seems odd to me when they have done Directs for a lot less.
My suspicion is that Nintendo has put the kibosh on all Directs for 2020 due to Covid. Partly because it's no doubt thrown a lot of their plans into disarray, and partly because they want to keep any announcements low key and drip-feed them throughout the year as making a big concerted marketing fuss about videogames in the current climate seems a bit.. 'off' or in poor taste somehow, given everything that's happening (like how that PS5 spec announcement that took place right when everything went into lockdown and it felt weirdly jarring and almost dissonant in its timing). Remember that the last Direct they did was stealth-dropped with zero fanfare, almost like they felt a bit embarrassed about it. That's just purely my own speculation, though.

I'm gutted that they have cancelled all the Directs. Not in a dickish, impatient way or anything - of course I understand the reasoning... It's just that the Directs are one of those lovely little things to look forward to, now moreso than ever.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 1:13 pm
Ha, I guess not.

Heads up for any Pinball FX fans, they've got some of the table packs at discount on the Switch at the moment, including some of the Williams tables. If you've not tried any of the Williams tables before, they're very different to the in house Pinball FX tables. A lot faster and more difficult. Take some getting used to, but once you do they're so much more satisfying to play. I just grabbed pack 2, which has the Attack From Mars table, mainly just because I remember really enjoying the real life version in a pub I used to drink in ~25 years ago or so.
Cheers Alex, I will have a look. Fingers crossed the Star Trek TNG one is there that was a favourite of mine in the pub.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk »

I don't think I've seen a Star Trek one to be honest, but Pinball Arcade has more of the music/TV licensed tables (although frustratingly, according to length of licenses, they're only ever available for a finite period of time. I wanted to pick up the AC/DC table, but it's no longer for sale).

I'm not even sure what's happening with Pinball Arcade actually, a lot of the tables they used to have are now available on Pinball FX3 so I'm not sure whether PA is still being update or if FX3 has kind of merged it in with its own game.

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/fren ... -take-two/

Behold, the most boring games leak of all time. This appears to hint at the major Switch reveals of the summer.

chase210

Post by chase210 »

The bioshock collection on switch is a great port! I’m really enjoying it.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk »

Bizarrely tempted by it, which is stupid given I didn't really like the games first time round. Wouldn't mind playing the second one again, might just wait for a sale and grab that one.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk »

I've had a bit of a play of Panel De Pon on the Switch online service, and it's really fun. I don't understand, though, why they put the Japanese rom on there instead of the WW Tetris Attack. Its the same game, we'd just have been able to read the menus... Bizarre, and seemingly pointless (presumably down to some sort of licensing issue I guess though?).

EDIT: Just to add, I watched a video translating the menus and there's a lot more to the game than the single player endless mode. I'm currently making my way through the stages campaign, and there's a puzzle mode too, in which I assume you have a limited number of moves to clear a board. It's really a good game.

NoMoreSpearows

Post by NoMoreSpearows »

I've heard it's because Nintendo didn't want to do more dealings with The Tetris Company, so they just went with the property they know that they own.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk »

I added the Japanese NES and SNES libraries to my Switch last night (you just download them via a Japanese account and can then play them with your normal account). Aside from the cool box art there are a small number of games which we didn't get in the UK, including Famicom Wars (Advance Wars predecessor) and the first Fire Emblem. I was interested to see what they was like, unfortunately they're both (obviously) all in Japanese and I can't make head nor tail of it :lol:

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk »

By the way, this Japanese only game on the NES library makes it worthwhile alone. Its brilliant fun!

So smooth, good moves, fun game! The video is a fan translation, obviously it's in Japanese on the Switch.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

This just popped up on my Facebook timeline from ShopTo:

"Hi, just to let everyone know, due to a Nintendo decision for all EMEA territories, as from Tomorrow 30/06/20 at 23:00 we are no longer able to offer/sell Nintendo digital full games.

We will however, be continuing to offer/sell online membership and add ons, so, with this in mind, if there is a title you were keen to add to your collection, we recommend checking out our digital item bargain prices, before we have to de-list them

https://www.shopto.net/en/nintendo-eshop/"

Interesting

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk »

Well that's shit! I saved over a tenner getting Animal Crossing from there. I don't see how this is fair to block sales of digital games. I wonder if it'll affect other websites.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Ultimately what they’re selling are keys to download the game from the Nintendo store.

If Nintendo don’t want to let other people sell those keys... they can do that.

It’s similar to how you can’t buy apps for your Apple devices through any other store than Apple’s. It’s not illegal *at the moment*, but it’s definitely something that The EU are looking into.

There’s nuance here though depending on whether they’re saying that *no one* can sell these keys but Nintendo, or them saying ‘stores that we don’t want to do business with can’t sell them’. Because the latter point is absolutely legal.

(Some of the companies that make and sell replica premier league shirts decided they didn’t want to do business with Mike Ashley’s Sports Direct, for example. Just because Mike runs a sports store doesn’t give him the *right* to sell *anyone’s* sporting goods if they don’t want him to)