The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: December 28th, 2018, 7:07 pm Nick, would you be so kind to post a pic from the back of the controller's box that came with your Smash LE? Right where it lists the compatible consoles. Just to reassure Simon that he's buying the right stuff.
Here ya go.....

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Wonderful, thanks a lot. :)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I was going to go for the fancy yellow hori one but I will most definitely be sticking with the official “new” one.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Well, that'll most certainly be saving us from the inevitable "guys I can't find the usb port on my gamecube pls help" thread next week. :P
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

KSubzero1000 wrote: December 28th, 2018, 9:29 pm Well, that'll most certainly be saving us from the inevitable "guys I can't find the usb port on my gamecube pls help" thread next week. :P
Haha I’m playing on my Wii which has a usb:)
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Rumors today for a Persona 5 Switch edition. If true, would it make anyone want to play it? I figure most people who were all in on Persona would have already picked it up and played it.

That being said, this does make me tempted to pick it up, assuming the rumors are valid.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

BrianEdwards wrote: December 31st, 2018, 12:06 am Rumors today for a Persona 5 Switch edition. If true, would it make anyone want to play it? I figure most people who were all in on Persona would have already picked it up and played it.

That being said, this does make me tempted to pick it up, assuming the rumors are valid.
Hmmm... I loved Persona 5, flaws and all, though if I was to revisit it I would personally continue with the PS4 version I initially played. I've already invested so, so much time, and with the ability to carry over save data/progress into a new game, I'd stick with that.

I would say that if it had significant new content, but there was already so much content the first time around! I'd recommend it to new players, (flaws and all) but yeah, way too much of a backlog personally speaking.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

There's usually extra content in the second version of a Persona game. This would help some people double dip. If its like Persona 3 FES with an additional scenario, I might be tempted when its cheaper. If its like Persona 4 Golden with additional content through the game, I'll skip it. Persona 5 was long even by Persona standards and adding more wouldn't help.
Suits

Post by Suits »

There’s heavy rumours of a Direct appearing soon - based on very little other than tradition mind you.

One key piece of info that ‘they’ say will be included will be the date of Yoshi’s crafted world - June 2020.

:(
Craig

Post by Craig »

There’s no way that they’d mark it as June 2020. If it’s been delayed until next year it would just say 2020 or at most Summer 2020. Nintendo aren’t really specific about release dates until they have to be.

Which is likely why we’ll see a Direct soon! The release window for the next three months is fairly bare, so they’ll start adding that in.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Craig wrote: January 4th, 2019, 10:02 am There’s no way that they’d mark it as June 2020. If it’s been delayed until next year it would just say 2020 or at most Summer 2020. Nintendo aren’t really specific about release dates until they have to be.
That’s a really good point actually dude.

In my initial disappointment I failed to think about properly but what you say makes sense.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Craig wrote: January 4th, 2019, 10:02 am There’s no way that they’d mark it as June 2020. If it’s been delayed until next year it would just say 2020 or at most Summer 2020. Nintendo aren’t really specific about release dates until they have to be.

Which is likely why we’ll see a Direct soon! The release window for the next three months is fairly bare, so they’ll start adding that in.
Agreed, can't see that being the case. Plus they recently added it to the store in the Coming Soon section. They never do that for games more than a few months away now.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Also, didn't Nintendo recently say that they were going to stop teasing and showcasing new games until they were relatively close to release (which is, I'm guessing, why we have heard virtually nothing about Metroid Prime 4)?
Craig

Post by Craig »

That seems to have been the case for a while, which is why going into Directs you should always just assume you're going to be hearing about the next 3 months of release.

If you consider we didn't even know the name or concept of the Switch until October or November before a March release. That year had two big releases - Zelda and Mario. Breath of the Wild had only scant details until E3 of the previous year - and even then we only really saw the Great Plateau. Mario Odyssey Only had a few seconds of gameplay footage until the Switch came out, and then we didn't even know about the central mechanic of Cappy until E3 of that year.

Last year, the big Christmas releases of Smash Bros and Pokemon weren't announced until mid year.

Whatever 2019 brings, we may not even know about it yet.
Suits

Post by Suits »

The NES style Joy-Cons have become available to buy if you're an Nintendo Online member.

These are pretty useless apart from working very well with the NES online games and the occasional functionality with other games.

£50 too.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Yoshi's Crafted World is confirmed for March 29th 2019.

I'm actually really looking forward to New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe on Friday. I haven't played any of the NSMB games since the 3DS one, and never bothered with any of the Wii or Wii U ones.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yes, some wonderful news to wake up to this morning.

Yoshi getting a date, Kirby’s Extra Epic Yarn on the 3DS and Zelda 2 coming to the Nintendo Switch Online service.

Soooo pumped for Yoshi !!!
Craig

Post by Craig »

If you’ve got a Nintendo online subscription service of any region, you can also get the Japan only Famicom Joy Mecha fight this month too as well as Zelda II and Master Blaster. You’ll need the Famicom app from the Japanese store, but after you’ve downloaded it you can boot it up with any subscription.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Spent the weekend in bed with a cold playing New Super Mario U Deluxe. As expected, it’s (another) decent but unspectacular and by the numbers entry. It’s weird how Nintendo has been completely unable to synthesize the magic of the 2d Mario series ever since World…. I’m not really saying anything new here, but NSMB series just feels ‘safe’ and visually and aurally really bland and unmemorable, as if they've sanded off all the weird idiosyncrasies and quirks of the older games. It’s hard to put my finger on - and I’m sure it’s not just my nostalgia speaking, but Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World just had a real abstract weirdness to the world and enemy design - and even down to the level/world names - that was somehow completely off the wall, but also all made perfect sense in context.

The NSMB series also sorely lacks two of my absolute favourite things about World - the sheer abundance of hidden secrets (and the evolving nature of the world with the switch palaces etc) and… I dunno, a sense of adventure, if that makes sense? The game world of World feels much more connected and coherent as a ‘place’. The stages seem much more thematically linked to their position on the map. The hubworlds of the NSMB games just feel so perfunctory and uninspired by comparison, and the random-ish pickups and respawning enemy encounters in U are nothing but a nuisance that get in the way of the game. It's mind-boggling to me that anyone thought that was good idea...

I was excited to try the challenge mode, but the load times (already something of a problem in the main game) just completely kill it as far as I’m concerned. Things of this nature need an instant restart - making the player wait for up to ten seconds between attempts exponentially magnifies the level of frustration and tips it into ‘not fun’ territory for me.

I don’t regret buying it, but I do agree with the sentiment that the Donkey Kong Country Returns series has now eclipsed NSMB as Nnitendo’s flagship 2D platforming series, and I think it’s high time for a drastic reinvention.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: December 17th, 2018, 7:41 pm Good news for GameCube owners who don’t have a CRT.

This looks pretty special, I’ve got a CRT and I’m thinking of getting one.

So did you get one? I'm still on the fence and looking for trustworthy consumer impressions... :|